• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

1/128

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chrono-Omega
Of course Boney doesn't really have a high offense and HP, but I'm safe to say that it saved my whole party more than once just because of it speed, healing items and Honey Showers. In fact, It's one of the best gaming "clerics" out there, even though it can't heal the whole party at once.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Also for some odd reason I kept trying to get him to give stuff to my other party members like Beef Jerky and he'd seem to just gobble it up himself, which was beginning to make me worry that he had a random chance to eat things regardless of who I was getting to eat them! =P

Drippy

Smash Ace
boney isn't actually the weakest party member in mother 3, and he's not the worst either
but he's still pretty bad
Then who is? I never said he was useless, I put all my items on him and his Sniff helped me with some enemies but in the end he was always the weakest. If they were ever to put Flint / Salsa as part of the main party, they'd be a lot more useful with the addition of items as well. In the end I don't feel items should justify his strengths and although he's the fastest character, that's really the only thing he had going for him but in the end being one of the softest characters always resulted in his death and he had in no way priority over me healing Kumatora.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
GUYS.

I'M BACK.

I stopped getting notifications for this thread + the board, and was way too caught up in other stuff. Now I'm back. YAY. Time to go play EB0?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
GUYS.

I'M BACK.

I stopped getting notifications for this thread + the board, and was way too caught up in other stuff. Now I'm back. YAY. Time to go play EB0?
I just finished it two days ago, it was so worth, I FEEL SO GOOD NOW THAT I'VE FINISHED THE SERIES.

But the game is pretty hard. :p

1/128

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chrono-Omega
So, I just finished Mother 3 like, 10 minutes ago. I simply loved the game from the start to the end, and I feel that this the first and only game of it's kind. It's very; almost completely different to EarthBound. Both games do what they want well: EarthBound is a quirky, different kind of game and RPG, while Mother 3 is more of a serious, focused game, even though it still keeps the "quirkiness" of EB.

Both are masterpieces and very important games, but what makes them so close to each other is because not only are you going on a trip, but you feel like you are on a trip: there's always the expectations of the start, you feel uncomfortable sometimes, but in the end you are satysfied, because you could manage no matter how hard it was to making it there.

Anyways, Chapter 8 was surprising in all senses, good or not! It was sort of easy, if I say so myself, but everything else was great. First of, I loved being able to play trough New Pork City, and now everything in the stage makes sense; even why the houses are 2D. What really shocked me was Fassad being Locria, that stuff blew my mind. I didn't really cry in the end, but I almost did, especially when Claus launched the lightning. seriously. Now to finish the Mother series I only need to finish my 100% EarthBound run to start my EB0 and Mother 3 100% runs. That won't take long! (BTW, got the Awesome Cape in one try, that was mad luck!)

Drippy

Smash Ace
So, I just finished Mother 3 like, 10 minutes ago. I simply loved the game from the start to the end, and I feel that this the first and only game of it's kind. It's very; almost completely different to EarthBound. Both games do what they want well: EarthBound is a quirky, different kind of game and RPG, while Mother 3 is more of a serious, focused game, even though it still keeps the "quirkiness" of EB.

Both are masterpieces and very important games, but what makes them so close to each other is because not only are you going on a trip, but you feel like you are on a trip: there's always the expectations of the start, you feel uncomfortable sometimes, but in the end you are satysfied, because you could manage no matter how hard it was to making it there.

Anyways, Chapter 8 was surprising in all senses, good or not! It was sort of easy, if I say so myself, but everything else was great. First of, I loved being able to play trough New Pork City, and now everything in the stage makes sense; even why the houses are 2D. What really shocked me was Fassad being Locria, that stuff blew my mind. I didn't really cry in the end, but I almost did, especially when Claus launched the lightning. seriously. Now to finish the Mother series I only need to finish my 100% EarthBound run to start my EB0 and Mother 3 100% runs. That won't take long! (BTW, got the Awesome Cape in one try, that was mad luck!)
Amazing experience, both of the games. Also nice, but you're going to have to do that again for your next playthrough won't you? :p

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but
it would be cool if Lucas had a sunflower shirt alt.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Weakest party member is Thomas.
I'm not counting assist characters because you can't control them but I guess he is technically a party member so whatever.

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but
it would be cool if Lucas had a sunflower shirt alt.
That'd be a very cool homage to the game. I'd love to see Kumatora / Duster / DCMC alts as well

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
well as for playable party members, Salsa is the worst.
That's debatable but I disagree because I find his Dance a extremely strong move, when you briefly get him back as a party member I remember getting like a +60 Speed boost on Boney. It's a very RNG move because you can't decide which member to buff / enemy to debuff but it seems highly rewarding, also Apologize / Make Laugh are good debuff / ailments while his Copy move has potential to be extremely strong because it copies exactly what the enemy does and that means if they do 300 damage then he'll do 300 damage with the only downside being they use a move that isn't an attack (but even mimicking a debuff or something can be helpful) and that compensates for his low strength, and just because his Attack is bad doesn't mean his Special moves are necessarily bad.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Monkey Mimic is Salsa's only real damage output. It is a good move, He does get some big hits here and there and he can put large damage on a few bosses with proper support, but he ends up wasting turns if he's not targeted.

Basically - Salsa is an interesting character with some useful gimmicks but most of what he does can be done just as well, or be done better by other party members. You could use Dance or Monkey Mimic but you might as well just use Offense Up just because it's more reliable.

Boney's just a little better at the item mule thing, he's better at taking hits and he ends up with a large advantage in Offense (almost twice as much as Salsa when maxed), which gives him a more reliable damage output.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Monkey Mimic is Salsa's only real damage output. It is a good move, He does get some big hits here and there and he can put large damage on a few bosses with proper support, but he ends up wasting turns if he's not targeted.

Basically - Salsa is an interesting character with some useful gimmicks but most of what he does can be done just as well, or be done better by other party members. You could use Dance or Monkey Mimic but you might as well just use Offense Up just because it's more reliable.

Boney's just a little better at the item mule thing, he's better at taking hits and he ends up with a large advantage in Offense (almost twice as much as Salsa when maxed), which gives him a more reliable damage output.
Except there isn't a move such a Speed Up like Salsa has including since it's RNG and seeing as how he had given +60 Speed before which is like the equivalent to buffing yourself three times, assuming you do get lucky you'll save yourself three turns of buffing. The thing with Boney was he never was a reliable damage output for me to begin with, I much rather use Kumatora / Lucas or even Duster to be dealing my damage but I usually have to waste my time buffing the team / debuffing the enemy.

On the other hand can't argue much on the other points because I'm not exactly sure how much HP / Defense Salsa has compared to Boney but either way they both would serve as item mules IMO and Boney isn't exactly good at tanking hits. In every boss fight I have to let him die because I rather prioritize Lucas / Kumatora and some of Duster. I didn't like wasting time on Boney because I just felt he didn't contribute enough. Who knows, maybe I wasn't using him to his full potential but I did find Salsa being just a buff / debuff character simply way more useful so I didn't have to waste turns. Also for Mimic, I can't recall if he had to be directly hit I assumed no matter who got hit he'd mimicked their attack either way but I may be wrong.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Speed, during the middle of most battles, isn't really useful enough to justify Dance as a good move. You rarely get what you want, and it only affects one at a time so you could just use Lucas, Kumatora and Duster for Offense and Defense.

Also, while Boney may be fragile, Salsa isn't any better at taking hits either, they have about the same max HP and Defense stats, but you'd actually want Salsa to take hits for Monkey Mimic and someone has to heal him after as well.

Boney is probably the most reliable damage output in a boss fight. He's going to be either bashing or using items, most of which would be bombs or rockets. Most of the other characters will spend some turns on support moves. His Speed stat also means he's better at using certain items since he's practically guaranteed to go first.

In every boss fight I have to let him die because I rather prioritize Lucas / Kumatora and some of Duster. I didn't like wasting time on Boney because I just felt he didn't contribute enough.
That's odd, I never had that problem.
For me, yes, he needed a heal sometimes but he rarely fainted.
We probably have different playstyles.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Speed, during the middle of most battles, isn't really useful enough to justify Dance as a good move. You rarely get what you want, and it only affects one at a time so you could just use Lucas, Kumatora and Duster for Offense and Defense.

Also, while Boney may be fragile, Salsa isn't any better at taking hits either, they have about the same max HP and Defense stats, but you'd actually want Salsa to take hits for Monkey Mimic and someone has to heal him after as well.

Boney is probably the most reliable damage output in a boss fight. He's going to be either bashing or using items, most of which would be bombs or rockets. Most of the other characters will spend some turns on support moves. His Speed stat also means he's better at using certain items since he's practically guaranteed to go first.

I never had that problem.
For me, yes, he needed a heal sometimes but he rarely fainted.
We probably have different playstyles.
That seems reasonable and I also forgot Lucas had an party defense / offense buff so that already renders Salsa useless and if it is true that Salsa has to get hit (which is what it seems like) then that is probably true as well. Also we probably did have different play-styles, it probably may had have to do with me just hugely underestimating Boney though and not fully using his Speed stat. On the other hand have you heard of these solo playthroughs? Apparently people go to the debug menu or whatever and do solo playthroughs of Flint / Lucas / Claus / etc. and Claus apparently is the worse party member because he can't equip items at all or something.

Drippy

Smash Ace
he can't? I didn't know that. I thought it was mainly lack of PSI.
I think that was also a factor of it too, not just PSI but lack of Special moves to begin with. I know that he has the highest base defense of all the characters I think but other than that his stats are lacking apparently.

Drippy

Smash Ace
they'd be about the same as Lucas'.
That would make him very slow.
Poor Claus.
Even that high defense couldn't save him from that Mecha-Drago </3. The solo playthrough must have been to overwhelming for him. :(

Last edited:

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
yeah, I feel Lucas would be a great character to give 16 alts, like Little Mac. there's a lot of potential for his alts. sunflower shirt, dcmc shirt, pigmask shirt, kumatora-themed alt, flint-themed alt, duster-themed alt etc.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I still don't get why they chose Little Mac to give extra alts to. I would have gone with either Olimar (because Alph) or any of the characters with gendered alts.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I dunno how comfortable I'd be with Flint shouting "PK Fire!" and doing crazy backflips with hexagons though. Lucas having the cowboy hat and stuff though would be pretty cool.

If I was going to use a Kumatora alt, I'd actually make her an alt similar to Alph. That would be beyond cool. <3

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
I don't want more alts solely because I can't choose between two already. If we had a full 16 to choose from it'd be impossible. :(

Heck, even 8 will be hard if he gets a Kumatora and/or DCMC alt.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
If I could choose 16 alts including his Brawl and new ones we know already, I'd go:
1. Default
2. Claus
3. Masked Man Shirt
4. Boney Shirt
5. Orange and Blue
6. Blue and White
7. Red and Purple
8. Green and Red
9. Pink and Purple
10. Masked Man Disguise
11. Awesome Armor Set
12. DCMC Shirt
13. Good Boy Shirt
14. Kumatora Palette (I think she's too tall to be a true alt, but if she isn't, change it to that)
15. A Nod to His EB64 Outfit, Maybe?
16. Ultimate Chimera Shirt

For Ness, I'd go:
1. Default
2. Blue Team Outfit From Past Games
3. Green Team Outfit From Past Games
4. Bumblebee
5. Fuel Shirt
6. Master Belch Shirt
7. Checkers Shirt
8. Mr. Saturn Shirt
9. Pajamas
10. Paula Full Alt
11. Poo Full Alt
Robot Ness
13. Giygas Shirt
14. Starman Shirt of Some Kind
15. Fobby/Foppy Shirt
16. Ninten Alt

Drippy

Smash Ace
In general a lot of characters have potential for really cool alternate palettes / costumes but it seems Sakurai isn't really big on it for some unknown reason. Also Paula / Kumatora alts for Ness / Lucas are a given considering their special moves, though in terms of smash attacks I don't know how that'd work, possibly replacing PK Love particles with PK Starstorm for Kumatora and Paula I have no idea, all I know is her pan instead of a bat and if I recall correctly, she can use Yo-Yos in Mother 2 right?

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
I dunno how comfortable I'd be with Flint shouting "PK Fire!" and doing crazy backflips with hexagons though. Lucas having the cowboy hat and stuff though would be pretty cool.

If I was going to use a Kumatora alt, I'd actually make her an alt similar to Alph. That would be beyond cool. <3
He wouldnt look like them, he would just have clothes in the same color scheme as their's.
or at least, that's what I would want. pink hair Lucas ftw :p

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
you don't really notice the difference.
If you're talking about the Kumatora alt, I'd agree. I mean in a way, all the EB game characters are "chibi" (?) so the difference wouldn't very be noticeable. Now if they were more human models say like Marth or whatever, I'd think it'd be a bigger deal

MainJPW

M.T.A
If you're talking about the Kumatora alt, I'd agree. I mean in a way, all the EB game characters are "chibi" (?) so the difference wouldn't very be noticeable. Now if they were more human models say like Marth or whatever, I'd think it'd be a bigger deal
That's true; I was actually basing that off of their clay models as well, which depicts her as quite a bit taller, but I agree.

Drippy

Smash Ace
That's true; I was actually basing that off of their clay models as well, which depicts her as quite a bit taller, but I agree.
That's understandable and I would absolutely agree that Kumatora would be taller, with her being older and also girls in general just growing earlier then boys and she does just simply just look taller than Lucas then Lucas and that's depicted in a lot of fan art as well.

Top Bottom