• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
By the way, is anyone here excited for Mother 4? I don't know but I can't seem to grow interest for this game. Not because it's fan made, they're doing an amazing job but from what I've seen from the gameplay, it lacks that 'Mother' factor that I love, it looks like a modded version of Earthbound.

I hope there are more Mother references other than Mr Saturn.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'll wait for impressions on Mother 4. It looks great, but is the writing up to standard? That's the most important thing.

ilysm

sleepy
MOTHER 4 looks amazing. A ton of fan games seem to fall into a rut where they just mindlessly pay homage to the original without actually building off the old concepts or adding new ideas, but MOTHER 4 is looking to be the exact opposite of that. I'm on the early mailing list and I am hyyyyyype.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mother 3 is so full of details that you'll always find something new each playthrough.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I personally ship Boney X Bone.

No but I mean I don't remember her at ALL, like I've played through Mother 3 once before but I don't remember her, and during this playthrough this is the first time I've ever even seen her...

Drippy

Smash Ace
What... no he doesn't.

Edit: Man was backtracking all the way from Osohe Castle for this screenshot really worth it...
Just shows how much of the Mother 3 universe I really bothered to explore. That's it, next time I'm replaying this game I'm going to check EVERYTHING.

I noticed the white pillar! But, I didn't think I'd be able to get behind it. I'll do that when I get out of Magicant.

The issue is, I'm a little unsure of a few things. I kind of want to buy stuff but I only have somewhere between $2000-3000; and I also want to save up for a new bat when I get the chance. Not to mention I can't find an ATM machine! :grin:

My biggest issue is that I've found a bit of a dungeon area and I can get pretty far in, but I get to a dragon I can't wake up and the old man that is forgotten that tells me to forget him and he's blocking my path. I remember a lady just west of Magicant was talking about him, so tomorrow when I finish my classes I guess I'll go ask her and see how I can work with him.

Also I have the first and third melody, so I'm assuming the canary is the second part.

I know it's a NES game but already almost having 3 of the 8 melodies means I'm going faster than I thought, even though there seems to be so much on the map. Gee wiz, I have no idea what to think! I'm really enjoying it, though! =D

And @ Solfiner Solfiner , the devil is in the details always, my friend. :D
I'm only just in Magicant so can't help you there. I've just been grinding there because it's mad XP but the Sky Yddet is destroying me in one hit occasionally. Also yes the canary is the second melody.

No but I mean I don't remember her at ALL, like I've played through Mother 3 once before but I don't remember her, and during this playthrough this is the first time I've ever even seen her...
That's because she's usually on the outskirts of town at the beach, you really have to go on and explore to really notice her.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
I noticed the white pillar! But, I didn't think I'd be able to get behind it. I'll do that when I get out of Magicant.

The issue is, I'm a little unsure of a few things. I kind of want to buy stuff but I only have somewhere between $2000-3000; and I also want to save up for a new bat when I get the chance. Not to mention I can't find an ATM machine! :grin:

My biggest issue is that I've found a bit of a dungeon area and I can get pretty far in, but I get to a dragon I can't wake up and the old man that is forgotten that tells me to forget him and he's blocking my path. I remember a lady just west of Magicant was talking about him, so tomorrow when I finish my classes I guess I'll go ask her and see how I can work with him.

Also I have the first and third melody, so I'm assuming the canary is the second part.

I know it's a NES game but already almost having 3 of the 8 melodies means I'm going faster than I thought, even though there seems to be so much on the map. Gee wiz, I have no idea what to think! I'm really enjoying it, though! =D

And @ Solfiner Solfiner , the devil is in the details always, my friend. :D
Well, I don't want to give too much away, but I will say the minimum, which is;
Don't sweat the dragon. It's not time yet.

That's because she's usually on the outskirts of town at the beach, you really have to go on and explore to really notice her.
Huh... well after every event I would always visit every part of the town to find the villagers and talk to them, including the beach. I would go into the two houses too but they would always be empty except for after I got through Osohe Castle for the first time in Chapter 2, and then it was just Bateau and Dona...

Oh well

Drippy

Smash Ace
Huh... well after every event I would always visit every part of the town to find the villagers and talk to them, including the beach. I would go into the two houses too but they would always be empty except for after I got through Osohe Castle for the first time in Chapter 2, and then it was just Bateau and Dona...

Oh well
I know what two houses you're talking about and you have to walk past that. She's usually always there (I'm not sure which chapters specifically though) but I do know that by Chapter 7 and 8 she switches spots.

Hah yeah, I just went and saw that I forgot about that entire little cove or whatever past the farthest house.

Edit: ALSO THIS IS THE MAIN REASON I HATE THE PIGMASKS

OSOHE CASTLE IS MY FAVOURITE PART IN THE GAME AND I LOVE THE GHOSTS AND THEY GOT RID OF THEM

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Hah yeah, I just went and saw that I forgot about that entire little cove or whatever past the farthest house.

Edit: ALSO THIS IS THE MAIN REASON I HATE THE PIGMASKS

OSOHE CASTLE IS MY FAVOURITE PART IN THE GAME AND I LOVE THE GHOSTS AND THEY GOT RID OF THEM
I felt that way but than I realized the Pigmasks were brainwashed... right? Also they made me laugh a lot like the underwater scene where they had to wear those very flamboyant versions of their suits.

Pigmask #1 - "Ugh can't believe we have to wear these, they're so degrading."
Pigmask #2 - "I actually really like them a lot!"
Pigmask #1 - *Backs up away from #2*

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Lucas and Claus being the only exception obviously. Twinsies ftw.
Super major spoilers I mean really though
Most likely because all the adults that were alive prior to the migration to the Nowhere Islands weren't ACTUALLY related to each other when Leder made up their backstories to prevent them from ever recalling the past. The children the adults then had, however, were all completely legitimate and born under the full and complete delusion that everything on the Islands is how they seem, and so any relation a child might have to an adult or another child is really quite true. (With the maybe exception of Duster and Wess, but I don't know, as they look pretty similar to me.)

Last edited:

Tikao

Smash Ace
one realy great thing about the Mother/Earthbound series are all the hidden details
for example, you could just play earthbound while rushing through it and never seeing those details, at the end this game would've been just your average game for them, but if you truly explore the game, then you know better

Drippy

Smash Ace
one realy great thing about the Mother/Earthbound series are all the hidden details
for example, you could just play earthbound while rushing through it and never seeing those details, at the end this game would've been just your average game for them, but if you truly explore the game, then you know better
In general I find it important to always explore the worlds in RPGs, I never avoid talking with NPCS (well actually it depends on what RPG it is but yea) but I do feel Mother rewards you the most for actually bothering to interact more with the characters in the world.

D

Deleted member

I'm so happy to see Lucas return. I flipped out when I saw him being added as DLC as I wasn't sure if he was ever coming back and I definitely wasn't expecting his confirmation before Wolf's. Over the past few months I've come to love Lucas as a character and he's someone I can relate to. I'm gonna make :4lucas:my main this game alongside :4megaman: so I hope to see this community around more often!

Last edited by a moderator:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
god i love this thread~ i love hearing about everyone's experiences with the series<3 you know i feel bad admitting this but ive ONLY played through Mother 3 in japanese (twice) i never really got to see all the goodness of tomatoes translation =/

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm so happy to see Lucas return. I flipped out when I saw him being added as DLC as I wasn't sure if he was ever coming back and I definitely wasn't expecting his confirmation before Wolf's. Over the past few months I've come to love Lucas as a character and he's someone I can relate to. I'm gonna make :4lucas:my main this game alongside :4megaman: so I hope to see this community around more often!
I approve of your username.
god i love this thread~ i love hearing about everyone's experiences with the series<3 you know i feel bad admitting this but ive ONLY played through Mother 3 in japanese (twice) i never really got to see all the goodness of tomatoes translation =/
Yeah, I love it too. The Mother fanbase has always been pretty close from my experience.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Since you're all discussing Mother 3, this is the perfect time to ask~ Can anyone point me towards some good Mother and Mother 3 emulators? I recently finished Earthbound and I wanted to experience the rest of the series before Lucas is released. :)

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Since you're all discussing Mother 3, this is the perfect time to ask~ Can anyone point me towards some good Mother and Mother 3 emulators? I recently finished Earthbound and I wanted to experience the rest of the series before Lucas is released. :)
Visual boy advance for M3, http://mother3.fobby.net/ is where the translation is. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Can't help you with Mother since I've never played it myself.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Mother is difficult. It's hard to get a translation of the game that is hacked properly. Usually you can tell by the presence or absence of the word 'zero' in 'earthbound zero'; but even in my one which does have 'zero', versing the Hippie can occasionally glitch my game in usually small ways, such as misplacing the text slightly (although once it did freeze the game, thankfully I'd saved only just before). I'm using Nestopia and then use that rule for any rom you go for.

Mother is difficult. It's hard to get a translation of the game that is hacked properly. Usually you can tell by the presence or absence of the word 'zero' in 'earthbound zero'; but even in my one which does have 'zero', versing the Hippie can occasionally glitch my game in usually small ways, such as misplacing the text slightly (although once it did freeze the game, thankfully I'd saved only just before). I'm using Nestopia and then use that rule for any rom you go for.
Wait but... wasn't Mother officially translated to English when it was developed, only it was never officially released? So official English carts of the game exist, which some people got a hold of and dumped for English ROMs.

That's my recollection anyway, from when I was searching around to play the game years ago, ha ha. I might be wrong...

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wait but... wasn't Mother officially translated to English when it was developed, only it was never officially released? So official English carts of the game exist, which some people got a hold of and dumped for English ROMs.

That's my recollection anyway, from when I was searching around to play the game years ago, ha ha. I might be wrong...
Oh! I wasn't aware, when I looked online I found a bunch of people talking about translations. Ahh well. =P

D

Deleted member

I approve of your username.
Glad to see people that actually understand the reference. I have to admit I find it pretty funny when the cameraman swoops into such unusual locations and ask Ness and his friends to smile for the camera. I totally want to hear Ness say "FUZZY PICKLLLESSS!!!" because it'd be cute.

Also I'd loved to play Mother 3 in English as well. Only thing is that I don't want to play in an emulation and I didn't get a reproduction cart of Mother 3 (because I don't want them). Is there a way I can extract Starmen's translation of Mother 3 into my Japanese Mother 3 game? I heard there were instructions to play the English translation on the original hardware but I don't know how.

There's actually a video discussing the prototype English Mother 1 copies by ClanOfTheGrayWolf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOqnD5WyQ5c - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8NWSrNTJ4 - Part 2

Worth noting ClanOfTheGrayWolf is one of four people with a Mother 1 prototype. Lucky guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

ilysm

sleepy
@Fuzzy Pickles! I believe the only way to patch a cartridge of MOTHER 3 is to actually rip the cartridge files, patch them, and then play it on an emulator. Sorry. :( If It's any consolation I had my M3 experience on OpenEmu and it was just as amazing.

Drippy

Smash Ace
@Fuzzy Pickles! I believe the only way to patch a cartridge of MOTHER 3 is to actually rip the cartridge files, patch them, and then play it on an emulator. Sorry. :( If It's any consolation I had my M3 experience on OpenEmu and it was just as amazing.
I approve of OpenEmu, I downloaded every goddamn emulator and different roms of the game but I couldn't save a battery file nor could I save even a goddamn freaking save state. OpenEmu was my savior, gives me save states and battery saves as well as allowing me to easily organize my games and overall it's very well designed.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I approve of OpenEmu, I downloaded every goddamn emulator and different roms of the game but I couldn't save a battery file nor could I save even a goddamn freaking save state. OpenEmu was my savior, gives me save states and battery saves as well as allowing me to easily organize my games and overall it's very well designed.
Yo Drippy,

Have you, by chance, figured out whether getting the forgotten man out of the way is necessary at this point in time and if so, how? Otherwise I'll go get the second melody and hopefully the policemen will be out of the way? :p

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I remember someone did a shipping with Lucas and Nana once.....
That might have been me, actually.
I still ship it.

And this is the one I drew 1000 years ago back in high school. The rest I didn't draw, so I guess some other people took interest.
In Mother 3, on all four times I've played it, I've found something new. And I'm willing to bet EB will be the same when I revisit it.

And that's why those two are my two favorite games- every time you play, it's a new experience.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Yo Drippy,

Have you, by chance, figured out whether getting the forgotten man out of the way is necessary at this point in time and if so, how? Otherwise I'll go get the second melody and hopefully the policemen will be out of the way? :p
I think you're on a different part than me, I do know which policemen you are talking about though but yea I haven't been playing at all lately.

Top Bottom