• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
So what do you guys think are Lucas's best stages?

So far I'm really liking Battlefield, Town and City, Halberd and Delfino with him.

I think Lylat is probably going to be his worst stage.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Is it just me or does Lucas have wonky PKT physics? I feel like sometimes I fly in completely different directions than the angle I hit with should send me in.

Also, I'm watching For Glory replays. Lucas is losing literally almost every one (it's pretty discouraging to see as a first time Lucas player). A lot of these guys are killing themselves on pretty simple PKT recovery situations, which is why I have to ask.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
I'll include Down Throw into Up Air and Up Throw kill percent today for everybody.
Tomorrow if i can ill include it with rage and maybe Forward Throw and Back Throw kill percents.

Graminthesalmon

Smash Cadet
The most guaranteed Lucas combo from low to mid percents and high percents for heavies and fast fallers is Dthrow to uptilt. which could be followed up depending on DI. Good stuff

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Man, Lucas is getting absolutely trashed online...

How? He's not even a bad character.

Really seems like he takes a lot of early damage and has a really hard time killing even at high percents...

Last edited:

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe

Really seems like he takes a lot of early damage and has a really hard time killing even at high percents...
Personally, I do not believe Lucas to be a rush-down character. I only attack when I see the opportunities and I often space myself using PK Fire and it's recoil. Very useful in the neutral game.

PK Freeze is very situational (but could be useful to rack up damage) and should definitely not be used as during an edgeguard in a Lucas ditto (Easy 30% recovery)

Due to it's nature and it's intense lag (supposedly added to differentiate himself from Ness, what an unnecessary nerf), I no longer use PK Thunder as an edgeguard option (or at least, very rarely). It could be good way to reach the opponents way out there in the blast zone, but it's not profitable at all to use as a close edgeguard option.

PSI Magnet is insanely good to catch projectiles and Lucas heals much more than Ness does. It can also be used to stall momentum in the air. Could even be used as a punish because of it's moderate knock back sending in a semi-spike angle.

And I too must admit that I got trouble killing with Lucas due to the lack of reliable KO moves. Maybe that I just suck, but most of his moves are either too laggy to use as kill moves or they're relatively fast but weak. As for the throw combos (down throw to x), Lucas's grab is very punishable if missed.. I often rely on the edgeguard situations to get kills with Lucas (as he can go much deeper under the stage than Ness can.)

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Personally, I do not believe Lucas to be a rush-down character. I only attack when I see the opportunities and I often space myself using PK Fire and it's recoil. Very useful in the neutral game.

PK Freeze is very situational (but could be useful to rack up damage) and should definitely not be used as during an edgeguard in a Lucas ditto (Easy 30% recovery)

Due to it's nature and it's intense lag (supposedly added to differentiate himself from Ness, what an unnecessary nerf), I no longer use PK Thunder as an edgeguard option (or at least, very rarely). It could be good way to reach the opponents way out there in the blast zone, but it's not profitable at all to use as a close edgeguard option.

PSI Magnet is insanely good to catch projectiles and Lucas heals much more than Ness does. It can also be used to stall momentum in the air. Could even be used as a punish because of it's moderate knock back sending in a semi-spike angle.

And I too must admit that I got trouble killing with Lucas due to the lack of reliable KO moves. Maybe that I just suck, but most of his moves are either too laggy to use as kill moves or they're relatively fast but weak. As for the throw combos (down throw to x), Lucas's grab is very punishable if missed.. I often rely on the edgeguard situations to get kills with Lucas (as he can go much deeper under the stage than Ness can.)
I enjoy playing with Lucas a lot and I feel like I'm not really bad with him, but when it comes to wins and losses, I'm doing absolutely terrible with him. Seems like a lot of people are. I'm having a hard time beating the computer (my record against them today is absolutely horrendous) and that's not something that's ever really been a problem for me.

The more I play with him, the more he seems like a guy who relies a lot on grabs, a la Dark Pit, but with a tether grab and that extreme endlag, you have to be incredibly opportunistic to be able to do that well. Or maybe I just need to be better at tether grabs.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

It is probably just people who have not used him much and are trying him out since they paid for him, or just transitioning from ness over to him. If you are missing simple recoveries you either don't know what you are doing or are too used to ness' pkt, which is a lot faster.

DarkDrifloon

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenNessDerek
I enjoy playing with Lucas a lot and I feel like I'm not really bad with him, but when it comes to wins and losses, I'm doing absolutely terrible with him. Seems like a lot of people are. I'm having a hard time beating the computer (my record against them today is absolutely horrendous) and that's not something that's ever really been a problem for me.

The more I play with him, the more he seems like a guy who relies a lot on grabs, a la Dark Pit, but with a tether grab and that extreme endlag, you have to be incredibly opportunistic to be able to do that well. Or maybe I just need to be better at tether grabs.
That's weird I'm winning almost every for glory match that I fight, idk, his moveset really suits me also I'm in love with down smash

Drippy

Smash Ace

Only use tether grabs as a punish and although yes, he has a lot of combos out of down throws, he is definitely not 100% reliant on landing them. Just watch NAKAT's day 1 Lucas videos, he does a lot of approaching with N-Airs and N-Airs in general. He loves to chain them into more N-Airs or other aerials like U-Air and that's like one of his biggest ways of racking up damage. I'd also say it's more important you learn how to space well with PK Fires and space them properly and rack up damage with that move because it's godlike.

Last edited:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Lucas is pretty fun. If you hit them with PK Freeze off stage, you can follow up with a PK Fire which can potentially kill them. I pulled it off a lot of times while harassing the opponent offstage.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Tried to space with PK Fire, but it's really easy to powershield. Roy especially badly outranges Lucas and you can't keep him out effectively because he has such good run speed and incredibly fast normals. Seems much more effective as a retreating punish or keepaway move than for any actual spacing due to how punishable it is.

The neutral air approach Nakat was constantly doing doesn't really work because, well, it's not fast enough to put on decent pressure, and it loses easily to other neutral airs.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Tried to space with PK Fire, but it's really easy to powershield. Roy especially badly outranges Lucas and you can't keep him out effectively because he has such good run speed and incredibly fast normals. Seems much more effective as a retreating punish or keepaway move than for any actual spacing due to how punishable it is.
Then you're not spacing well enough with it, I use the move a lot and hardly get punished for it unless I misjudge my spacing between the enemy and I. Look in about ten seconds the Roy perfect shields it and is a pretty close distance to Roy and he is not able to punish it and NAKAT is able to quickly use a jab to knock him away:

In addition to the fact that you can wavebounce and slide really far away furthering the distance between you and your opponent. Yes it's good as a retreating punish but I also tend to use it as an approach option cause hardly do I get punished for it of course this is only day 2 so my style of playing Lucas could most likely be wrong.

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Lucas' pivot grab (is that the right term?) is a lot slower than it was in Brawl. I used to always grab with it because of the reduced lag, but now it's the same as his regular grab.

Speaking of which, does Lucas still have his rhythm pummel? I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Then you're not spacing well enough with it, I use the move a lot and hardly get punished for it unless I misjudge my spacing between the enemy and I. Look in about ten seconds the Roy perfect shields it and is a pretty close distance to Roy and he is not able to punish it and NAKAT is able to quickly use a jab to knock him away:

In addition to the fact that you can wavebounce and slide really far away furthering the distance between you and your opponent. Yes it's good as a retreating punish but I also tend to use it as an approach option cause hardly do I get punished for it of course this is only day 2 so my style of playing Lucas could most likely be wrong.
That wasn't close. That was maximum range, of course he couldn't punish it. I mean, the move has a pretty obvious startup. Obviously it's not useless, but if you're able to use it as an approach, that really seems like it depends on the matchup. I see that being really easy to punish as Greninja, Zero Suit, Bowser.

Elisay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Elisay7
3DS FC
2552-2548-4286
I'll include Down Throw into Up Air and Up Throw kill percent today for everybody.
Tomorrow if i can ill include it with rage and maybe Forward Throw and Back Throw kill percents.
We shall call Lucas's D-throw into Up-air the "New Hah."

PKPenguin

Smash Rookie
This is the casual discussion thread, right?

What exactly is Lucas doing when he does his utilt? I mean, like, animation-wise. He just kinda flips upside-down instantly and I can't really comprehend how he gets like that, then uprights himself so quickly.

skeletonboxers

Smash Cadet
NNID
tabster123
3DS FC
4983-5230-3260
I sometimes love using Lucas's PSI Magnet as a quick punish for those who roll behind you.

Also using psi mag off stage to make myself face the direction I want is great, I've set up plenty of bair spikes with it.

Does anyone agree how great, yet ridiculous Lucas's recovery is? I was spiked by a Kirby at 130 percent yet still managed to pk thunder straight to the side, then pkt3 straight up.

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
PSI Magnet is actually really great to use for punish people who charge up to you since it can launch the opponent far off to the side. I actually KO'd with it once.

Last edited:

skeletonboxers

Smash Cadet
NNID
tabster123
3DS FC
4983-5230-3260
PSI Magnet is actually really great to use for punish people who charge up to you since it can launch the opponent far off to the side. I actually KO'd with it once.
I think it's a good mix up with approaching too and especially with wave bouncing it will play mind games with your opponent. It's also can stage spike as you approach the stage and they get greedy.

Drippy

Smash Ace
That wasn't close. That was maximum range, of course he couldn't punish it. I mean, the move has a pretty obvious startup. Obviously it's not useless, but if you're able to use it as an approach, that really seems like it depends on the matchup. I see that being really easy to punish as Greninja, Zero Suit, Bowser.
That was not maximum range, PK Fire goes a bit more further than that and if you're using it so close then you deserve to be punished for it. There's a reason why I said to space it and obviously yes it does have a start-up making it predictable but the enemy won't perfect shield it every time and it can catch the enemy off and I'm not saying to spam it but it should be a tool that's utilized often and watching Dabuz's stream he has said himself he thinks PK Fire is a move that Lucas should be using a lot. Perhaps it does depend on match-up but Roy isn't exactly slow either and IIRC he's faster than Marth as well.

EDIT: Tested it out myself, if you go to Smashville you'll see their's little small lines in the middle of the stage so I watched the video. Went to the spot NAKAT was at (most likely not exact but not a huge difference) and the Roy was four lines ahead. The PK Fire when tested went up to the sixth line. Not like I needed to test it anyways since I've been playing Lucas near nonstop the past two days so I know the range of it.

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I had a little more luck with it, but it's definitely difficult to get rid of Roy since he's the only fast character with primarily disjointed hitboxes.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Bad news guys, our PK Thunder SUCKS... It has NO priority, Pikachu can just dair us out of it, I assume many others can just hit us out.

Every other character is given invincibility, we get a gimpable recovery that we have to manually do, it has TERRIBLE endlag when canceling into the ground, and it doesnt kill as well as Ness's.

All that for more distance? That's AWFUL, we shouldn't just be knocked out easily, my friend has just been picking any character and its literally super easy to just hit us back away.

Not only that, but PK Thunder cancelled into the ground gives us 3 seconds of end lag.

No auto cancel aerials...

Grab is EXTREMELY punishable if missed and frequently just goes through people...

I understand USmash having endlag, but jeeze...

I'm gonna keep maining him because I like him, but guys we better complain a lot and make it known, we should get a buff to something because this isn't good...

No reliable recovery, again... and I thought it'd be a little better off this time. Least we weren't just a no priority target last game.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Bad news guys, our PK Thunder SUCKS... It has NO priority, Pikachu can just dair us out of it, I assume many others can just hit us out.

Every other character is given invincibility, we get a gimpable recovery that we have to manually do, it has TERRIBLE endlag when canceling into the ground, and it doesnt kill as well as Ness's.

All that for more distance? That's AWFUL, we shouldn't just be knocked out easily, my friend has just been picking any character and its literally super easy to just hit us back away.

Not only that, but PK Thunder cancelled into the ground gives us 3 seconds of end lag.

Grab is EXTREMELY punishable if missed and frequently just goes through people...

I'm gonna keep maining him because I like him, but guys we better complain a lot and make it known, we should get a buff to something because this isn't good...

No reliable recovery, again... and I thought it'd be a little better off this time. Least we weren't just a no priority target last game.
Agreed with everyting said but I'm not sure about a buff, a lot of people I've talked with said he's definitely high tier and NAKAT said he thinks Lucas is top 15, if not top 20 but that is day 2 impressions so hard to say.

Last edited:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
At least a buff to PK Thunder and maybe 1 auto cancelled aerial is all I'd like.

I see him being good, but a small buff like that couldn't hurt and it'll definitely make it less frustrating for us.

Drippy

Smash Ace
At least a buff to PK Thunder and maybe 1 auto cancelled aerial is all I'd like.

I see him being good, but a small buff like that couldn't hurt and it'll definitely make it less frustrating for us.
Yeah agreed a slight buff wouldn't hurt, maybe if his F-Air or N-Air auto cancelled or they just reduced the end lag on his PK Thunder then that'd help a lot.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361

As much as I love Lucas.. This is true
I swear his and Roy's short hop is so short is not even funny
No auto cancels means that we are gonna be more predictable and punishable, we can use rope snake but still

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I dont mind how short it is, but 3 seconds of end lag for PK Thunder is ridiculous, especially when as a recovery option it sucks...

You have to PK Fire people away so they don't just go off and try to gimp you half the time.

This is gonna be a fight to get back to the stage until something happens, if we can't gimp with thunder without end lag, why can they? This is the worst trade off I've ever seen. We lost everything for distance.

It'd be nice if Fair and or Nair auto cancelled at least, maybe someday...

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Oh and thanks to our shorthop we can't even short hop airdodge...
Oh well...we can't edgeguard with PKT1 safely anymore..
At least we still have numerous edgeguarding options

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Oh and thanks to our shorthop we can't even short hop airdodge...
Oh well...we can't edgeguard with PKT1 safely anymore..
At least we still have numerous edgeguarding options
Wait am I misunderstanding? I'm short hop air dodging normally right now, you just have to do it literally right when you short hop. I've also been watching NAKAT using PKT1 really good as a gimping option and even when they're not off-stage, he controls his PKT1 really well.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Wait am I misunderstanding? I'm short hop air dodging normally right now, you just have to do it literally right when you short hop. I've also been watching NAKAT using PKT1 really good as a gimping option and even when they're not off-stage, he controls his PKT1 really well.
That's weird.. Do you get lag when you land?

Drippy

Smash Ace
That's weird.. Do you get lag when you land?
Mhm there's some landing lag though I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. Is it just short hop -> air dodge or you guys talking about something completely different?

Top Bottom