• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Freeze - A look into Lucas's possibly underrated move?

supercake

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone thought of using bsticked freezes? They can be controlled, and it would probably give Lucas even greater space from the other player.

Fishcake56

Smash Cadet
Has anyone thought of using bsticked freezes? They can be controlled, and it would probably give Lucas even greater space from the other player.
The biggest obstacle to this idea is the difficulty of reliably producing b-sticked pk freezes in the first place.

supercake

Smash Apprentice
I think it can be reliably done, it just takes a lot of practice to get it at the right angle. There was a point when I practicing where I consistently did like 10 in a row.

tHe_CuRe

Smash Rookie
Completely agree w/ you man. PK Freeze is a very under rated move. Spiking w/ PK Freeze is almost non-recoverable. Most people see Lucas as a pest when in all actuality, he's one of ThE Versatile characters in the game.

Beg to differ, everyone has their own opinions....

tHe_CuRe

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Shibby, are you B-sticking? I accidently get PK Freezes with B-sticking sometimes and it annoys the sh*t out of me. If that's the case just be more precise. You can't use PK Freeze from close range.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
There is negligable lag when they break out. They can do an aerial on you almost immediately. And PK Freeze sends them pretty high even at percentages like that. But I haven't worked with it much so maybe it's possible in some situations.

SkYHiGh

Smash Cadet
yah it sends opponents too high for you to prepare from the ground. If I land a PK Freeze at a lower percent I just run over and just do a nair if I can get it twice then that's even better, but it helps deal some damage and if you can plan your attack right you can get a head smash in and throw them in the air and work from there.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
At medium percents, you can really only land an aerial, not a smash.
I usually use the nair so that if they break out, they get caught in it. I just wish Lucas had one really strong aerial for killing.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I think I've figured out what is the most reliable and damaging combo out of PK Freeze. Of course the trick is freezing them first but once they are this is what works best for me.

After they're shot up and frozen, jump up beneath them and begin PK Thunder. You want the thunder to hit them multiple times with the tail. This will cause the frozen opponent to remain perfectly in place. Also if they happen to break out in the middle of this, this will cause them to remain in place as well. You then bring your thunder around for a PKT2. If they are still frozen, they will be dragged along with your PKT2 taking damage and will break out by the time you reach the end so you should get knockback. This does a more than decent amount of damage and can kill at surprisingly low percentages because you're already pretty high in the air. In addition, it requires pretty much no precision in timing and can't really be avoided based on opponent controller input. Works at medium to relatively low percentages.

The main reason I think this is best is just because there's pretty much no way you can screw it up whereas chain freezing and freeze into other aerials can be mistimed if you're not careful.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
:cry:

It means... thunder swell surprise from my PKT guide for Melee that no one read except for Tyr_03

Such a wasted effort

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol it's kind of an obscure acronym. Not surprising people wouldn't remember it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Not mad at people not remembering it specfically, but how little people read it. Much of the stuff there still applie to Brawl.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Ha yeah. Just hardly anyone played Ness in Melee. I mained him for like a week before I got tired of getting killed by Marth...Although the moments I had with the Yoyo glitch were absolutely priceless. The first time I equiped the thunderjacket against my unsuspecting sparring buddy was orgasmic.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You should go into a crowd of scrubs and do that. Its amazing

"OMG NESS iS SO CHEAP!!!'
"OMG THAT"S MESSED UP!!!"
"ITS NOT WROKING!!!"

lol

SkYHiGh

Smash Cadet
I just wish Lucas had one really strong aerial for killing.
Well his spike is mighty nice if timed perfectly.

However for what you're asking you're right it would be nice, but the thing is Lucas is a character that is based around dealing lots of damage with his moves, though some of his attacks (usmash) is very strong he lacks strong aerials; however when I use Lucas I just try to get an opponent to the edge and do fair and uair as much as needed. The fair when used right at high percents sends most characters right off the map.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^
True, his fair and uair kill, but only near the sides. Also, his smashes cant always hit a frozen oponent since they fly so high up.

His bair only kills off stage also. Besides, only Mindvirus can pull off that freeze spike combo :p

Neb

Smash Lord
In response to Tyr_03's other post. I tried the move out and it works perfectly, the only problem is is that the foe has to be damaged quite a bit when you frost 'em, so they fling upward and you can set-up a PKT into PKT2. But I say it works effectively; plus I KO'd with it.

Top Bottom