• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Flash?

Umby

Smash Master
Personally I haven't found a use for PK Flash, but feel it needs to be incorporated into my game for versatility. What are general situations it would be useful in?

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
I don't know really. Mindgames? I try using it to take out the shield. Then a nice PKt2 broken shield. Then PKt2 to the face.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I'm addicted to PK flash. I use it after a juggle to force people to dodge or jump, and then follow up with PK thunder.

It's such an awesome move. No really.

The recovery from the blast is tiny. And unlike PK Thunder, your opponent can't block it by attacking. They have to air dodge to avoid it, or divert their falling path.

I usually go up throw > short jump PK flash > punish depending on what they do.

Eventually your opponent will just stop trying to air dodge past it at all and will just jump away to avoid it, in which you can fire out PK thunder to chase them.

It's an excellent cover move for above, and yes, it's fantastic for mind games.

I find that doing it out of a small jump lessens the lag after the explosion, providing you release it just before you hit the ground. The aim of using PK flash is actually not to try and hit your opponent, but to scare them into doing foolish things in the air.

I love this move so much that I often forget to use PK thunder or juggle normally.

Also, why would you use PKthunder2 after a broken shield? A fully charged PK Flash hits sooo much harder.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
I'm addicted to PK flash. I use it after a juggle to force people to dodge or jump, and then follow up with PK thunder.

It's such an awesome move. No really.

The recovery from the blast is tiny. And unlike PK Thunder, your opponent can't block it by attacking. They have to air dodge to avoid it, or divert their falling path.

I usually go up throw > short jump PK flash > punish depending on what they do.

Eventually your opponent will just stop trying to air dodge past it at all and will just jump away to avoid it, in which you can fire out PK thunder to chase them.

It's an excellent cover move for above, and yes, it's fantastic for mind games.

I find that doing it out of a small jump lessens the lag after the explosion, providing you release it just before you hit the ground. The aim of using PK flash is actually not to try and hit your opponent, but to scare them into doing foolish things in the air.

I love this move so much that I often forget to use PK thunder or juggle normally.

Also, why would you use PKthunder2 after a broken shield? A fully charged PK Flash hits sooo much harder.
I usually mess up lol it's easier to just PKt2 in the face especially on the end of the stages cuz it's easier to kill them on the side than try to star KO them with Flash.. I love Flash we gota play sometime Bounder.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Lol, true about the fully charged pkflash on a broken shield. Mmmmmm

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I usually mess up lol it's easier to just PKt2 in the face especially on the end of the stages cuz it's easier to kill them on the side than try to star KO them with Flash.. I love Flash we gota play sometime Bounder.
I'd love to play you, but can you deal with the fact that I have to play with one-seconds worth of input lag? ;_;

It's horrible, no really.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
If your up to it. Doesn't matter as long as it doesn't mess up our PK Tricks
Which I'm sure it will. I can't even aim PK thunder reliably on wifi, let alone use it to recover effectively every time. XD And PK flash is totally out of the question.

When I'm online I use a lot of yo-yos or I just change to Lucas or Lucario.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I've been hit by a pretty well charged pkflash when i was recovering. (yoshi minus the second jump and egg toss recovery is UBER predictable and slow) anyway, I was hit by it and went flying. It might be the attack with the most knockback (minus 9 hammer, and an oil panic filled with only fully charged samus shots which will never be seen in a real fight)

but all in all, great attack even though it's uses are limited. Scary as crap too I always keep my distance when one's coming out.

maskeXD

Smash Apprentice
I've been hit by a pretty well charged pkflash when i was recovering. (yoshi minus the second jump and egg toss recovery is UBER predictable and slow) anyway, I was hit by it and went flying. It might be the attack with the most knockback (minus 9 hammer, and an oil panic filled with only fully charged samus shots which will never be seen in a real fight)

but all in all, great attack even though it's uses are limited. Scary as crap too I always keep my distance when one's coming out.
Yep. It's the projectile with more knockback ever.:laugh:

Neodaft_boy

Smash Cadet
I can't seem to find a good use for PK Flash either -- as cool as it is! My personal favorite out of the two 'mother' kids' b moves. Although, Freeze is easier to land but far less rewarding then Flash which I only landed successfully ONCE >: ...and that was a fluke XD

Kjmac

Smash Rookie
I use it for mind games also, bet I found it to be better than his yoyo so i use it as a up+A attack for the knockback it is such and awesome move

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Hm with all this hype I should probably try using this more lol. I know my friend's lucas uses his ice-version as an edgeguard often. I guess it could work with ness too.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
Hm with all this hype I should probably try using this more lol. I know my friend's lucas uses his ice-version as an edgeguard often. I guess it could work with ness too.
It does work with Ness' PK Flash, it is very effective on most characters if timed correctly. Characters like Link, Toon Link, Marth and even Ike suffer mortal blows by the PK flash at the edge and Ness' fthrow at the tip of the edge is perfect setup distance for PK Flash.

Also Flash is pretty nice for mindgames, say if your opponent was fallen by your fully charged flash and they think you will try to pull off another and they try to sqreeze by by going through it Ignite it earlier OR ignite it in the middle of their air dodge through it, those invincibility frames don't last forever... =P

Or for characters with HUGE Vertical gain in their recovery moves like Snake or Dedede, if they use their UpB to avoid it, cancel the Flash and hit em with a PKT1 at them at the very top of the stage and get pretty humiliating kill on them...

These are some ways PK Flash is useful, of course it may not be right for some and there are faster ways to kill your opponent, but these kinds of kills make any tier noob leave midgame in disgrace, hell, I sometimes use Ness' Magnet offensively, and yes, it is VERY possible...

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Thost aren't really mindgames, just two fighters adapting to eachother. I mean, if you use a fully charged PK Flash, and then use another pk flash, your enemy is going to be very aware that, if he gets close, you can ignite it early if you so choose. Also, nobody jumps through the PK Flash bolt. That thing scares people. All people need to do is run underneath it as it takes a while to land.
Also, using flash, then seeing your enemy use up+b and using PKT1 isn't much of a mindgame as that's what he'd expect you to do, and is probably the alternative he prefers instead of getting hit by pkflash.

Of course, you can set these things up, but most of the time things things will happen just as a result of you saying "This PK Flash ain't gonna hit. Lets use PKT instead" or "Crap, hes running at me. Let's ignite PK Flash earlyso I'm not a sitting duck".

There can be considered mindgames, but I'll argue that, most of the time, you'll end up having to do these kinds of things anyways. Saying "That was a mindgame!" will probably make you sound like a tool.

I'm thinking of some powerful mindgames that I can do with pkflash, but I've got nothing yet.
I mean, the most mindgames I can pull off is forcing the enemy to dodge it and stay away from it, and then maybe doing a PKT, but that aint much.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
I play extremely fast with ness, so pk flash really adds towards my ness game due to the fact that it moves slow throwing my opponents off. I also like to combo like crazy with ness, follow the combos with either Utilts and uairs into a quick pk flash, which I like to call PK Flash initial attack (uncharged PK Flash). Ness recovers pretty quick from using pk flash on the ground, so what I usually do is throw a quick pk flash initial like for a little less than a second, then follow it up with ness' bat or his dair. I really don't find it hard to occassionally hit foes with a PK Flash, and I wouldn't necessarily call it a useless technique. Its just isn't as versatile as most moves are...

Gindler

Smash Champion
Honestly I find PK freeze to be a horrible edgeguard move, it always just sends me up then i break out at the top making it easier to get back to the stage, sometimes I intentionally get hit by them if I already use my second jump (yoshi) or if I don't feel like aiming the pk thunder to recover (ness), reverse mind games I guess you can call them.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I only use PK Flash as a substitute during PKT juggling if the enemy is right above me, and even then the only reason I use it is because landing it will remove 1 stale move counter from the rest of my moves.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
PK Flash makes a great edgeguard. Not just for hitting, but for mindgames. People fear PK Flash for its super strong top notch insanely powerful maximum damage uber beast strength. Put it near the edge or in their recovery path and they do either 2 things (unless they're like ROB or Metaknight with broken recovery).

They back up and get setup for an aerial like a dair.
They land onstage left open for a bat or throw.

Just be sure to release PK Flash in time.

PK Flash I hear makes a good overhead attack. At least, according to NESSBOUNDER.

Also, if you are playing Ike or someone with REALLY predictable recovery, PK Flash will almost always hit. I mean, ESPECIALLY on Ike.

Top Bottom