• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Cross: An Advanced Ness Guide

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
How exactly does the dtilt lock work? Always when I try it he falls on the ground from the dtilt but he stands up again because I hit him again... The enemy doesn't stay in the ground-laying animation...
Get them on the ground and spam it FAST
And good luck Uffe :)

Gaussis

Smash Ace
For the false recovery aid, I actually do the recovery aid to bat...without thinking :laugh: . Reading this made me lol for quite a while. You are too good Earthbound.

PCHU

Smash Lord
How do you kill DK?
He seems like a somewhat difficult matchup for me, but I got in this weird combo that put him up to about 68%.
It contained all of Ness's aerials except uair, and it looked amazing as well.
Sorry I can't remember. :urg:

Anyway, how exactly do you take this thing down?
I came 1 stock away from a victory on Jungle Japes, and believe me....it was a hard battle.
This guy is good (really good) and he dodges most of my PK Fires.
The only thing I have trouble with is getting away from DK's utilts and dtilts.
It's like every DK player I know uses that to rack up damage.

Does DK have super armor during his upB?
I've come so close to a spike (I know it can be canceled, goodness), but it always seems to hit but do nothing.
Why is that?

My kill moves are hard to get in, and they don't always kill.
I've really had to go all Melee Fox on him just to get him to some point to where I could kill hi, and sometimes that wasn't high enough.
The bthrow does practically nothing, and by that I mean DK sort of flies over but doesn't die, and I can't get him into a dtilt lock because he practically never falls down.

PKT2 just puts a smile on his face because he barely goes anywhere.

DK must be one of the more broken characters in Brawl.
That's the only solution to his power, speed, range, comboability, weight, and everything that lets him get out of almost everything.

I haven't defeated this hulk once (well, maybe once, considering I've only fought him 3 times) but I've come so very close.
It seems when I think he's dead he's not, because he doesn't rise much with his upB, but he grabs the ledge from what seems like 2/3 of a Ness away.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
good lawd this guide has grown massive. I gotta check the cliff notes, that's too intense :p

Masky

Smash Master
Yeah, this guide is massive. We need like... a Ness wiki or something that only 360 can edit. That's just how much Ness info there is.

The ledgewhipping diagrams take me back to the days of Melee (even though I only lurked back then)... is that supposed to be Wolf in the bottom left?

Forsworn

Smash Cadet
Ah, ledgewhipping...so evil, and yet so thrilling to witness. It's a great feeling being able to stage-spike without having to leave the ground. My friend doesn't like it when I do it to his Aethering Ike. :laugh:

And thanks for updating this guide, EarthBound360. I've learned a bunch of new Ness techniques and tricks in a short time and it's really improved my game. Trying to learn B-sticking now and see how it differs from my old smash C-stick configuration.

Masky

Smash Master
Um... clicking on "Ref's PKT Video" doesn't actually do anything. Is it not showing up or did you forget the link or what?

rel_12

Smash Apprentice
Yay thanks EB360, for putting my site on the front page. Everyone please check out my site, its right under EB360 Hey Look, intro, please register ^_^ Earthbound360 will be a Mod there :)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Wow. This is shaping up to be as long as your Melee PK Thunder guide, EB360. Major kudos. Seriously.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I thought of something you can do vs a Ness or Lucas involving psychonetic wind.Well, maybe someone eles thought of it but here it is. I did this today at a tourney to a Lucas. basically if they are using PKT by the edge, use Psi Magnet and push them off the edge. they will fall and die. Im not sure if it works on the ground, but I used it on a Lucas in the air.....well thats pretty much it. also, it will work on other characters too (maybe) like Ike using a Nair by the edge, u can Psi Magnet and make him kill himself (maybe.)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Hmm... using the magnet as a pseudo FLUDD huh? Just curious, does the wind have effect in the air? At first I thought it didnt, but I THINK there is a minimal wind effect upon aerial opponents.

I would test but I dont have Brawl for now.

_clinton

Smash Master
Hmm... using the magnet as a pseudo FLUDD huh? Just curious, does the wind have effect in the air? At first I thought it didnt, but I THINK there is a minimal wind effect upon aerial opponents.

I would test but I dont have Brawl for now.
The Wind does have an effect in the air on air opponents...I know because I have actually gimped people with it (fun fact...Magnet cancel kicks ***) it is no where near as good as FLUDD though...It is the same as the ground one though...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It's not as powerful as GAW's up B, right? You could possibly use this on a Snake's nair too, get some free damage from spiking/C4 jumping.

Masky

Smash Master
The Wind does have an effect in the air on air opponents...I know because I have actually gimped people with it (fun fact...Magnet cancel kicks ***) it is no where near as good as FLUDD though...It is the same as the ground one though...
You've magnet cancelled in the air...?

Gaussis

Smash Ace
The magnet push is...funny. I can't describe it. I would need help testing something to give a full description. OK, here is the test:

Have Ness high up in the air with PSI magnet
Have a character move toward Ness
Release the magnet as the other character moves toward Ness

Note: Try releasing it at different times to see the strength of the wind.

If this turns out as I expected, we might have something...interesting in our hands.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
wow, interesting. I was thinking today whether or not the pushing effect of PSI mag. can be used for tactics, and so far not too much interesting results, only thing that may be interesting is that, every time(against cpu), I knock some1 off of the stage, and while they are still flying off i run up to them and psi mag, they seem to fall and fly a bit faster as though they were pushed away. It's not comfirmed though so idk. I'll look into it more. Never the less, as ness's psi mag is quite slow, unless we are fighting some one like Ike who is a bit slow at their attacks, I doubt it may be of much use.
Ken

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well I expect something interesting because the closer you are to your foe the further back they move. Sadly percent has nothing to do with how far they're pushed. I was able to push Lucas away while he used PK Thunder in the air. As his PK Thunder came under him, instead of flying upward, he flew straight to the left.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
interesting, that may be useful against a lucas player to kill them self since their pkt doesn't disappear when hit like ness's. I think this is just a illusion(not literal) that I made up, but when fighting olimar, because I was spamming psi mag to see what kind of intersting things it can do, it seems like it was reflecting the pikmins thrown at me when I let go of the psi mag. This too is uncomfirmed though.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Well I expect something interesting because the closer you are to your foe the further back they move. Sadly percent has nothing to do with how far they're pushed. I was able to push Lucas away while he used PK Thunder in the air. As his PK Thunder came under him, instead of flying upward, he flew straight to the left.
It also has a strange effect on approaching characters. If another character approaches Ness as he releases the magnet, the opponent gets forced back, effectively stalling the opponent. I still need to confirm this as this has confounded me to no end. Can someone help with the test in my post above?

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Fine, but not today. I'll probably be able to sneak some playtime tomorrow. :)

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
kays, just PM me then :3 Btw, on topic. I noticed the push can be used for very interesting mindgame, as well as making grab spammers miss. the push can push them out of range just enough, even if they are dash grabbing(i think thats what it was called).

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
PSIM Wind pushes opponents away as they approach, yes, possibly saving you from an attack.
PSIM Wind also pushes certain projectiles back at the opponent (as stated in the PSIM Wind section) and it DOES include Pikmin. They wont actually be considered "yours" but they will be pushed. Thisis most effective against bombs and grenades.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Would it surprise you if I said that it saved me from Marth's fair? I figure this is worth mentioning since PSI magnet would most likely be used for recovery purposes and...I somehow avoided the dreaded fair altogether.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I was experimenting as usual against cpus, and I'm starting to get a hand of using psi mag at the right timing. you can see some interesting results in the replay file i include. I also did a little glitch with toon link where he stays in the air while dairing, but my friend said it was known so I won't post that one xP.
replay: download link
sorry for replay, movies are too big for such a slight thing xP

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
PSIM Wind pushes opponents away as they approach, yes, possibly saving you from an attack.
PSIM Wind also pushes certain projectiles back at the opponent (as stated in the PSIM Wind section) and it DOES include Pikmin. They wont actually be considered "yours" but they will be pushed. Thisis most effective against bombs and grenades.
So it's like Mewtwo's Confusion. Except less horrible.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Actually it's possible with the right button input (I don't know which one exactly) that forces Ness a little forward when he uses psi magnet. Not really sure how to do it yet. I've done it before though. I always use psi magnet to stall in the air before I recovery since Ness is really floaty and has a good double jump.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Are you sure you didn't input a jump then almost instantly down b'd so that you couldn't see any part the the jump?

Test it in training at 1\4 speed if you need to...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Are you sure you didn't input a jump then almost instantly down b'd so that you couldn't see any part the the jump?

Test it in training at 1\4 speed if you need to...
Considering the only time I got this to work was after I jumped (towards the end) I'm pretty sure...

It's mad easy to do right after you sh off the ground, but I once did it while just floating. I'm testing **** this weekend so don't worry.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Floating meaning in the air? Or did you do it on the ground? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions...

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Actually it's possible with the right button input (I don't know which one exactly) that forces Ness a little forward when he uses psi magnet. Not really sure how to do it yet. I've done it before though. I always use psi magnet to stall in the air before I recovery since Ness is really floaty and has a good double jump.
I do this all the time, its quite simple, if its the same thing as what i'm talking about. basicly what happens is you get a little boost of mommentum then stop in the air and float down. I suppose you can use c-stick for this to make it easier but I just use b-buttons cuz i'm not a c-sticker xD.
Anyways to do it, easiest way to see and feel how its done, run in one direction, in the 1st few frames of the running, before you slow down jump and hold left or right and psi mag. you will do a little boost in the air.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Wait, are you talking about b-sticking it? That is the only thing that comes to mind when you say little boost.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Sometimes when I want to b-stick PKfire I press a bit wrong on the c-stick and he does a PSI-Magnet. I turn around then and get a little boost.

Masky

Smash Master
Wasn't sure where to post this but during a doubles match today I was hit in the head by a fully charged charge beam while b-throwing someone and a little blue circle appeared on my head and I took no damage. I know there was a post about this before but I can't find it and just wanted to confirm it. I may have been throwing a Toon Link though, not sure but I'll try to remember, so it might have had something to do with his shield

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
whenever an attack hits a pair of characters who are in grab/grabbed animation the attack will deal damage only to the character in the LOWER controller slot
I really hate that. When you fight a snake, make sure you always have the higher slot.

Slush

Smash Cadet
Wow, thanks a bunch for this guide! I learned a lot, this is definitely gonna help me with Ness!

Top Bottom