• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Walking, Anything Yoshi can do with it?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi's is near worthless.

Stick with your guys's Dragonic Reverse.... seriously.... >.>

Marth's is awesome though :3
Wow, I wasn't expecting a reply so fast

Yoshi's might not be useful for now, but you really don't know what you can find with stuff like this.... I'm not saying to put it over DR, or even use PW at all. I'm saying to see if we can find something useful from this...

bigman40

Smash Master
I was messing with this when you guys found it. I can only find this best as a taunt honestly. DR/DT kinda masks PW when you look into mindgames and such. Plus, I doubt most Yoshi's have the need to walk around as much as some others. You can mess around with it and see what you find, but I think this one isn't for Yoshi...

Airborne

Smash Lord
I was messing with this when you guys found it. I can only find this best as a taunt honestly. DR/DT kinda masks PW when you look into mindgames and such. Plus, I doubt most Yoshi's have the need to walk around as much as some others. You can mess around with it and see what you find, but I think this one isn't for Yoshi...
i agree. PWing is probably not even a best decision when trying to close in that extra space needed to land a dtilt or ftilt.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I think a good idea is to discuss how we can combat characters with good Pivot Walks. (Thanks for making our Marth match-up even harder, Doop. -_-)

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Actually, he found it with Falcon... I tested it.... >.> and I'm the guy on every board going "use this. test it. abuse it. just use it" lol...

And I'm just trying to advance every metagame as fast as possible to prove one of two things.

1. MK really is broken and no matter how the metagame develops he will always be on top, and therefore be banned. (I hope not.... he's how I win my tourneys...)

or..

2. MK really isn't broken, it's just his metagame was far beyond everyone elses. (Because he really doesn't need much as it is)

But nice idea :) how to punish PW.... thinking backwards ;) lol nice, I like it.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207154

"Tis the New Wavedash!"

Personally, I think Pivot Walking is the most overhyped technique ever, but I still feel like we need to at least experiment with it, see what we can find.
THANK YOU!

I've experimented with it but do not see how any opponent with an IQ over 20 could fall for it as a mindgame.
I also do not believe attacks out of it would be too difficult to predict.

Melee's wavedash was lots faster and attacks could come out of it instantly... this just doesn't compare.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
God, this is just a suckier version of Squirtle's shellshifting.

At least shellshifting has some applications.

rel_12

Smash Apprentice
I like using PW, I dont DR/DT :( haha but PW is fun to do I like doing the Yoshi Bomb out of it, very fun and fast

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
I've found one good use for it. I've remapped my controls to have L as the normal attack in order to do it easier (I use R for shielding 100% of the time). Basically, you can do a forward aerial and when you land, do the pivot-walk but stop it in mid turn so that you're facing away from your opponent and you can go directly into a back aerial with virtually no lag. The speed that you have to implement the buttons to get it to work properly is insanely difficult (not as difficult as the DR but not as easy as wave-dashing either). Also, using the same start-up, you can go directly into a ground-ground-pound but it's not as useful because I don't notice any difference in the start-up time in a normal turn-around ground-pound. But, yeah, try the forward aerial => pivot-walk => back aerial. I tried it in a few matches earlier today and it seemed to work virtually every time that I didn't screw it up. Let me know if you guys think this is a good, viable use for the pivot-walk.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Yoshi can already slide anywhere anyway. Why do you need this lol.

On a side note, why am I even here lol, I don't even secondary yoshi.

Depster

Smash Champion
I've found one good use for it. I've remapped my controls to have L as the normal attack in order to do it easier (I use R for shielding 100% of the time). Basically, you can do a forward aerial and when you land, do the pivot-walk but stop it in mid turn so that you're facing away from your opponent and you can go directly into a back aerial with virtually no lag. The speed that you have to implement the buttons to get it to work properly is insanely difficult (not as difficult as the DR but not as easy as wave-dashing either). Also, using the same start-up, you can go directly into a ground-ground-pound but it's not as useful because I don't notice any difference in the start-up time in a normal turn-around ground-pound. But, yeah, try the forward aerial => pivot-walk => back aerial. I tried it in a few matches earlier today and it seemed to work virtually every time that I didn't screw it up. Let me know if you guys think this is a good, viable use for the pivot-walk.
Or you could tap a direction just before jumping to do the same thing faster and better

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Or you could tap a direction just before jumping to do the same thing faster and better
Have you actually tried my suggestion and you've proven that your idea is faster and better or are you just shooting down my idea without even giving it a chance? Because I don't know what game you're playing but if you're walking one way and you tap another way before jumping (no matter how quickly before jumping) some forward momentum is lost so there's no possible way that just tapping the opposite direction could be faster. Who knows, maybe the difference is so slight that it makes no difference but I believe the purpose of this thread is to figure out if Yoshi has a use for this "technique" and if you throw out a suggestion without giving it a chance then you're doing nothing to benefit the idea of this thread.

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
PWing seems pointless to me, as well. I tried it out earlier today, and Yoshi seems to have plenty of other techs to take the place of the PW where ever there is a use for it.

Top Bottom