• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Nair kill setup

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Ok so after doing a bit of labbing I can safely say that nair is an extremely viable kill setup into any smash attack (most reliably: usmash).

For those who don't know what this is, you can see a great example of what it looks like in this video (from the annals) at 7:15. http://youtu.be/8vxbqhLTioQ Look how early that killed :awesome:

I'm not calling it a kill confirm because this is not a true combo but after testing on several different characters, people and CPUs it definitely works consistently due to how little time your opponent has to react.

There are different ways to do this, firstly I'll go over the ways to cancel your nair. You can't simply do a SH nair. You have two ways.
-Wait a split second after short hopping before using nair
-SH Fastfalling your nair (it still has to autocancel).

Occasionally your opponent may fall out without the need for you to fast fall or anything but doing so allows you to act faster out of nair.

Both of these are equally consistent but the first option is somewhat easier. With the second option, you are more likely to stuff up the fast fall either doing it too early or too late but if you master it, it provides a slightly quicker setup (i.e nair obviously comes out faster).

Now there are also different ways to 'move' your nair, I'll list them from most reliable/consistent to least.
Reliability being how often it works and consistency being how much of the cast it works on.
-Retreating nair (facing opponent).
-Advancing then retreating nair (facing opponent).
-Retreating then advancing nair (facing opponent) (especially useful for zss).
-Stationary nair (facing opponent)
-Advancing nair (Facing opponent). This only works with first option of cancelling nair and you sometimes have to reverse your usmash
-Retreating nair (facing away from opponent) This only works with second option of cancelling nair and you often have to reverse your usmash.

You will know if you are close to getting it right if your nair is cancelling after only doing 3-4%, the last hit will come out just before hitting the ground so it won't hit opponent.

Some times one of the above option will work better for a specific character e.g no.3 for ZSS or no.1 for Link, just try it out for all characters, I'm only listing relative consistency in general.

Edit: After many tries I got it to true combo, It is character dependant though. You will know if you are doing it right if your opponent is knockbacked slightly higher.

Last edited:

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
That might have looked like it could have been DI'd much better by the Falco, and at sub-100% with rage for a light character isn't particularly bad, but it's a bit frightening on the potential limited impact it would have on some of the heavies, especially when u-smash is used a lot in mid to low percents for combos. Maybe we should start keeping our u-smash fresh, and opting for other options?

Either way, it seems much more practical than the FF u-air to u-smash setup (which if I remember correctly is a true combo).

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I'm not sure how DI-able this is because opponents aren't getting knocbacked from the nair, it seems they are simply falling out of it. Maybe SDI can affect this? but then again we want them to fall out of the nair for this to work.

That might have looked like it could have been DI'd much better by the Falco, and at sub-100% with rage for a light character isn't particularly bad, but it's a bit frightening on the potential limited impact it would have on some of the heavies, especially when u-smash is used a lot in mid to low percents for combos. Maybe we should start keeping our u-smash fresh, and opting for other options?

Either way, it seems much more practical than the FF u-air to u-smash setup (which if I remember correctly is a true combo).
Usmash is generally used at low percent combos so after some time it should be fresh again at kill percent unless you are using usmash very often. Personally, I normally don't use usmash at all even at lower percents because there are better starting combos. But yeah keeping usmash fresh is definitely something worth considering.

Also one way you could get ff uair is a dair spike, full hop dair spike to be precise which is pretty safe, dair spike to ff uair true combos.

Last edited:

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Couldn't you just fast fall after the nair before the last hit of the hitbox comes into effect?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Couldn't you just fast fall after the nair before the last hit of the hitbox comes into effect?
It won't autocancel unless the last hit comes out.

Corthos Fellrin

Smash Cadet

Well I thought it was pretty cool what I found! D;

Also it is other way of getting the kill. I use it as a mix up. If the Dair in USmash doesn't work due to tech I could FFUAir because it can't be teched. Just a mix up doe nothing more, nothing less. It is not the combo to spam, trust me.

I'm not sure how DI-able this is because opponents aren't getting knocbacked from the nair, it seems they are simply falling out of it. Maybe SDI can affect this? but then again we want them to fall out of the nair for this to work.

Usmash is generally used at low percent combos so after some time it should be fresh again at kill percent unless you are using usmash very often. Personally, I normally don't use usmash at all even at lower percents because there are better starting combos. But yeah keeping usmash fresh is definitely something worth considering.

Also one way you could get ff uair is a dair spike, full hop dair spike to be precise which is pretty safe, dair spike to ff uair true combos.
Got to be honest why even have the middle man unless you want swag points (I guess it is worth for the swag) at that point I'd just DAir in to USmash. I, too, don't spam USmash btw because I want to keep it fresh.

I'm also surprised that people actually remembered the FFUAir lol

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Well I thought it was pretty cool what I found! D;

Also it is other way of getting the kill. I use it as a mix up. If the Dair in USmash doesn't work due to tech I could FFUAir because it can't be teched. Just a mix up doe nothing more, nothing less. It is not the combo to spam, trust me.

Got to be honest why even have the middle man unless you want swag points (I guess it is worth for the swag) at that point I'd just DAir in to USmash. I, too, don't spam USmash btw because I want to keep it fresh.

I'm also surprised that people actually remembered the FFUAir lol
Because to get dair to true combo into usmash you would have to fast fall into them and dair which is very unsafe. Same goes for uair.
With dair > uair > usmash you are doing a jumping dair, if they shield it you are safe, but if it lands uair will true combo from the dair into usmash.

Last edited:

Corthos Fellrin

Smash Cadet
I can do it sometimes in the lab, but a sourspot Dair can be DI'd right? I know you could still guess and all but idk I haven't played too much smash 4 these days due to school. Did Pit get a change to DAir I'm missing on?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I can do it sometimes in the lab, but a sourspot Dair can be DI'd right? I know you could still guess and all but idk I haven't played too much smash 4 these days due to school. Did Pit get a change to DAir I'm missing on?
I'm talking about sweetspot dair.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Then can it be teched anyway? If they are fast enough to press it that is.
Yes, but they would have to tech away (i.e not in place) or FF uair will still get them.

edit: Note that i've only done this on FG so far, I'm pretty sure they can shield before FF uair after the tech but being FG they didn't react quick enough

If they tech you also have plenty of time to react accordingly whether they tech away or in place anyway so it's still safe.

Last edited:

Corthos Fellrin

Smash Cadet
Yes, but they would have to tech away (i.e not in place) or FF uair will still get them.

edit: Note that i've only done this on FG so far, I'm pretty sure they can shield before FF uair after the tech but being FG they didn't react quick enough

If they tech you also have plenty of time to react accordingly whether they tech away or in place anyway so it's still safe.
Alright I see... I still wish there was something new that was changed about Pit, but I guess not. Btw I don't think he needs a buff or nerf I just wanted something new >.<

Top Bottom