• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Dair?

TimSkully

Smash Rookie
Am i the only one who thinks that Pit is getting shafted a lil? They finally give him a spike but it has the smallest hit box in the world!! Every character my friend plays with has a nice good size hit box on the spike. I feel its unfair. I feel that they need to give him a proper spike! You want to know what i mean by proper? (Proper Spike = Marth's Spike!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9d6Vd-2rY I would love to see Pit get a lil justice!

Fortress

Smash Master
Am i the only one who thinks that Pit is getting shafted a lil? They finally give him a spike but it has the smallest hit box in the world!! Every character my friend plays with has a nice good size hit box on the spike. I feel its unfair. I feel that they need to give him a proper spike! You want to know what i mean by proper? (Proper Spike = Marth's Spike!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9d6Vd-2rY I would love to see Pit get a lil justice!
Pit's pretty scary... I dunno. I mean, Pit mains probably feel different, but as a Link main and Mario secondary, I feel I have to work hard to get my d-tilt and f-air spikes. I mean, I'm not that great at the game, but, yeah.

TimSkully

Smash Rookie
Pit's pretty scary... I dunno. I mean, Pit mains probably feel different, but as a Link main and Mario secondary, I feel I have to work hard to get my d-tilt and f-air spikes. I mean, I'm not that great at the game, but, yeah.
I do main Pit. Waiting on my boy Kirby to come back. Some characters do have to work a lil for there spikes. Mario is an example. U do have to work and hit it just right or the character will go flying out instead of down. Pit's spike is like doing Calculus or Geometry while some other characters are like Algebra. lol

TimSkully

Smash Rookie
That'll mean reducing his jump count (which I would hate for that to happen). Its more of an balance issue pretty much.
No dont want that. lol i just want his hit box to be a bit bigger. Lets say the middle of the sword to the tip. Now cut that in half. Now its the tip and a smaller portion of the sword. If he had the Marth spike property he would be a bit OP huh? lol Just make it a lil easier to hit is all i want.

Fortress

Smash Master
I do main Pit. Waiting on my boy Kirby to come back. Some characters do have to work a lil for there spikes. Mario is an example. U do have to work and hit it just right or the character will go flying out instead of down. Pit's spike is like doing Calculus or Geometry while some other characters are like Algebra. lol
To put it in terms related to your post, "math is hard for me; be it algebra, geometry, or calculus". Meaning, I have a tough time landing spikes outside of Ike and Wario's.

I would agree that having multiple jumps is to compensate for Pit's hard spike, or vice versa. Say, can Pit WoP very well?

TimSkully

Smash Rookie
To put it in terms related to your post, "math is hard for me; be it algebra, geometry, or calculus". Meaning, I have a tough time landing spikes outside of Ike and Wario's.

I would agree that having multiple jumps is to compensate for Pit's hard spike, or vice versa. Say, can Pit WoP very well?
WoP? Im kinda new to some the terminology and techniques in the smash universe.

Fortress

Smash Master
"Wall of Pain"- it's using a character's Back Air and stage recovery game to keep an opponent from returning to the stage, through racking up an obscene amount of damage to the point where they end up too far out, or hitting the side blast lines. Jigglypuff is a WoP champ, because of her stellar recovery and killer Bair. Mario can do it, too, to a lesser extent.

I was wondering if Pit had any of that going on since he has such a good air game.

TimSkully

Smash Rookie
Oh so thats what i got hit with last weekend at my friends PM gathering. Pit's Back Air comes out a bit slower than his Forward Air but i believe is possible if timed right. Ive done this plenty of times using his Forward Air.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I don't mind pit's dair being hard. the fact that the spike is the weakest spike possible annoys me though. If it's that hard to land it should be at least a little better or the endlag should be less so you can...oh idk...follow up? Otherwise it's just a glorified meteor attack.

TimSkully

Smash Rookie
I don't mind pit's dair being hard. the fact that the spike is the weakest spike possible annoys me though. If it's that hard to land it should be at least a little better or the endlag should be less so you can...oh idk...follow up? Otherwise it's just a glorified meteor attack.
Well i dont like to struggle for it. lol. Your right about it being weak though. I like the way u think.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I think his current dair is pretty good. It launches people and sets up for air combos. If he had this many jumps and had marths spike, I dont think it would be justifiable. He already deals pretty well killing offstage, with arrows to irritate and gliding from the course to your opponent offstage is helpful, since the glide doesnt disappear.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think his current dair is pretty good. It launches people and sets up for air combos. If he had this many jumps and had marths spike, I dont think it would be justifiable. He already deals pretty well killing offstage, with arrows to irritate and gliding from the course to your opponent offstage is helpful, since the glide doesnt disappear.

I'm not saying his dair is bad, It's good when it works. Getting the spike hitbox when you want it/need it isn't always possible. Bad news is if you miss you knock them high in the air potentially saving their lives which is the exact opposite of what you want. Another thing is the brawl shields in this game. Makes it hard to use any of pit's aerial's safely because most people just noob shield grab everything in this game and it works vs everything accept tipper Bair and Spike hitbox Dair. So being forced to fight scared most of the time do to non-safe aerials that are occasionally out ranged by people like...luigi? idk...that kinda makes little sense to me.

Although, to be fair pit is very good at fighting scared. Not as good as he was in 2.5 but still pretty good at it.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
dont use it off the edge. It's good as it is for tech chases on stage because of its large range and combo ability. Off the edge, pit can irritate his opponents with arrows and can carry them away with his aerials. I agree with the shield grabbing in this game. Its so good it makes it easy for a ******** character to win with a strong grab character (charizard, snake). Use pits grab more, try not to use aerials on shield. Theyre good for comboing but definitely bad for attack shield.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
don't use it off the edge. It's good as it is for tech chases on stage because of its large range and combo ability. Off the edge, pit can irritate his opponents with arrows and can carry them away with his aerials. I agree with the shield grabbing in this game. Its so good it makes it easy for a ******** character to win with a strong grab character (charizard, snake). Use pits grab more, try not to use aerials on shield. They're good for comboing but definitely bad for attack shield.

I know about the carry offs WAY too much lol. I get crap for being "gay" everytime I fair someone to death and then recover lol. Like a flying puff/sheik hybrid. Difference being those 2 have some safe things on shield.

my understanding of what you are saying is that you should approach with grabs all the time? because...that's pretty much what it comes down to. Pit has a good grab but he's no Marth. I know...I main Marth in melee lol.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I know about the carry offs WAY too much lol. I get crap for being "gay" everytime I fair someone to death and then recover lol. Like a flying puff/sheik hybrid. Difference being those 2 have some safe things on shield.

my understanding of what you are saying is that you should approach with grabs all the time? because...that's pretty much what it comes down to. Pit has a good grab but he's no Marth. I know...I main Marth in melee lol.
No, actually thats not what Im saying at all. I said he has other approach options. i didnt really understand what you were trying to say, because I dont understand how changing pits dair would make him have better approach options. If they were to change something about pits approach, which they probably should, I just wish it wasnt dair. That move is good the way it is. I dont think pit should have such a good off edge game and be able to spike like marth.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
No, actually thats not what Im saying at all. I said he has other approach options. i didnt really understand what you were trying to say, because I dont understand how changing pits dair would make him have better approach options. If they were to change something about pits approach, which they probably should, I just wish it wasnt dair. That move is good the way it is. I dont think pit should have such a good off edge game and be able to spike like marth.

I agree with the dair being good, I've always had an issue with him having a meteor/spike though. The spike is the weakest possible spike and it's placed in a way where it is tempting to use...because a spike is good right? However, missing it = saving life and possibly ending your own life. In some ways I've always felt the dair should just be kept without the spike or meteor hitbox but perhaps instead have it shed some endlag.

As for the subject of approaching, Considering the shields in this game it's extremely Pit needs faster aerials, less endlag, or more range. His endlag on his arrows were increased. Which makes pit less cheap but he's still pretty cheap. I feel that he's got potential to be more...exciting in terms of playstyle. However, his winning playstyle seems to be running away and waiting for someone else to approach.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the dair being good, I've always had an issue with him having a meteor/spike though. The spike is the weakest possible spike and it's placed in a way where it is tempting to use...because a spike is good right? However, missing it = saving life and possibly ending your own life. In some ways I've always felt the dair should just be kept without the spike or meteor hitbox but perhaps instead have it shed some endlag.

As for the subject of approaching, Considering the shields in this game it's extremely Pit needs faster aerials, less endlag, or more range. His endlag on his arrows were increased. Which makes pit less cheap but he's still pretty cheap. I feel that he's got potential to be more...exciting in terms of playstyle. However, his winning playstyle seems to be running away and waiting for someone else to approach.
I dont even try to use it as a spike. Pits off the edge game is similar to jiggs. He pushes away from the course, not sends people down. He really doesnt need to.
I do think that there's a problem with pits aerials though. He does have a hard time approaching shield. And Pit cheap? I dont think so. I think he's good, not necessarily cheap, considering he has obvious weaknesses.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman

I dont even try to use it as a spike. Pits off the edge game is similar to jiggs. He pushes away from the course, not sends people down. He really doesnt need to.
I do think that there's a problem with pits aerials though. He does have a hard time approaching shield. And Pit cheap? I dont think so. I think he's good, not necessarily cheap, considering he has obvious weaknesses.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

well as you mentioned off stage game. Pit's "cheapness" is like Puff's.

I was playing earlier and I just Fair, Fair, Fair, Fair...it's not fair. lol

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
it's fair, actually. Every character needs something that theyre good at, and thats pits. Thats the thing with project m vs melee. Project m's forced design makes characters all have a strong gimmick. Not necessarily a bad thing. Pit's not unfair. He's a solid character with a good design. He's definitely towards the top of the tier list, but not unfair.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
it's fair, actually. Every character needs something that theyre good at, and thats pits. Thats the thing with project m vs melee. Project m's forced design makes characters all have a strong gimmick. Not necessarily a bad thing. Pit's not unfair. He's a solid character with a good design. He's definitely towards the top of the tier list, but not unfair.

I don't think he's unfair he's just cheap. especially in certain MU's. those, fair, fair, fair, fair, fair-deaths....it's not Fair :D

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
its perfectly fair. Its good. if your opponents combo DI happens to suck, they should be punished for it. If you use a large character like bowser or dedede, you need to expect to be carried off easily. Pits current design is fine, and the only thing that would make him cheap would be to change his current dair into a better spike.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
its perfectly fair. Its good. if your opponents combo DI happens to suck, they should be punished for it. If you use a large character like bowser or dedede, you need to expect to be carried off easily. Pits current design is fine, and the only thing that would make him cheap would be to change his current dair into a better spike.

I never was for the idea of making it a better spike. Considering he has a spike I don't see why it exist the way it currently does.

I personally don't have too much of a problem landing spikes

otter

Smash Ace
my main problem is that dair sends your opponent upwards, so when you attempt to spike youre probly just going to end up saving your opponent. Pit doesn't need it anyway so its not a big deal.

meow

Smash Apprentice
What helps me is if I'm facing them and they're slightly above my blade/bow when it first comes out.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Can you explain where the spike hit box appears? do you hit early, late, tipper, deep? I cant really do it.
When pit uses his down air he swings his blade from behind him in an arc all the way until it gets slightly above his head. its at that point, at the end of the dair, that his meteor appears.
a good way to get a feel for it is:
1: go to training mode
2: select pit for yourself and MR game & watch (g&w) for an opponent
3: go to Final Destination
4: set g&w to 'jump'
5: stand next to g&w, facing him.
6: time a short hop (SH) to match with his jump
7: immediately use a down air (preferably with the c-stick to avoid fast falling)

I am sure you will send him downwards if you SH at the same time as his jump.
The dair is tricky because your opponent has to be a above pit
For g&w the height is his foot to pit's face.

Top Bottom