• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well that lightens my spirits a bit. Thanks. :(
I've been thinking, and it looks like DP would be good for Pit mains either way.

He's either A: A unique character who just might play like Pit's old self, (Hoping for WoI over here!) or B: We get a Mario/Dr. Mario situation where we get two mains for the price of one, hopefully being more distanced then those two.

Daily reminder that Ganondorf's render in Melee looked like this:

Two games from Melee, he's probably still trying to master the powers of Falcon Punch. And failing miserably.
We know for a fact that Gannondorf was a last-minute addition. He might of been planned to get a sword like what's shown here, before being scrapped for some reason. Not only was this the only time something like this has happened, DP is arguably a different case. I'll admit the Staff could just be one of his specials, but even then that means he's not a total clone like Lucina.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How can you say that when Shadow Kanji exist!

But yeah lets hope Pitoo is a semi clone. Or completely original.
Poor Ganondorf.
Hold me tight! Ooooooohhhhh! :troll:

But all jokes aside, I'll be looking forward to playing as Dark Pit since I loved the staff weapons in Uprising.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Dark Pit is one of my favorite characters in uprising, but I really don't agree with him being a playable character.

However, after Shulk, he's probably going to be second amiibo I buy. Assuming I buy an amiibo, that is. I'm not sure I want to own an almost useless piece of plastic, but we'll see.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I want Pit to have a Dark Pit costume and Dark Pit to have a Pit costume, just to be able to have super confusing team battles against people online. Will only be better if Dark Pit actually has more unique tools than Lucina does.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
I want Pit to have a Dark Pit costume and Dark Pit to have a Pit costume, just to be able to have super confusing team battles against people online. Will only be better if Dark Pit actually has more unique tools than Lucina does.
I literally laughed while thinking of people's reactions when my friend and I do that

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Dark Pit using his staff already kind of makes him more unique than Lucina.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Dark Pit seems to be getting an unfair rap

Mostly because they think he's just a palette swap, rather than his own character.
Because his entire characters exists essentially because of a pallete swap from Bawl. It's almost like a bad fanfic or something.. In fact I'm sure there were 'Dark Pit' fanfics before the new Kid Icarus was even shown.

Here's an analogy I like to make.. Pretend that Sakurai directed a new Starfox game. In this game, he introduced a new character, Dark Fox (based off of Fox's black color from Brawl) who plays a semi-minor role in the story. Then in the next Smash game, Sakurai adds Dark Fox onto the roster as a clone of Fox(pretend other Fox clones never existed). Like.. Would no one else find that to be stupid?

The whole situation just seems dumb to me. A 'dark' version of a character isn't exactly a horrible concept, but that isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is that if the Kid Icarus series was developed by anyone other than Sakurai, Dark Pit would practically have no chance of getting in. He's a character Sakurai would overlook and deemed 'too similar'.. But because Kid Icarus is a brainchild of Sakurai, he's yet again letting his bias show. I mean, look at other 'dark' characters.. Dark Link is a costume, despite holding much more significance in the Zelda series. In terms of moveset potential, look at the Dark Samus assist tropy. I'm saying this as someone who is typically against 'dark' versions of characters being added to the game.. I never was keen on Dark Samus being a playable character, but after seeing her ingame, she has some pretty awesome looking attacks. I think she could have been a cool addition.

Well anyway.. Done with my rant. Yeah, I just don't like how Sakurai can be so biased at times when he says he tries not to be.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Fighting games have different forms of characters all the time, like Devil Jin from Tekken. Dark Pit is fine.
Not really a good comparison because Jin and Devil JIn have different move sets. Assuming Dark Pit is a clone.
But yeah pretty much. Alternate versions is not a new thing to Smash.

Not really a good comparison because Jin and Devil JIn have different move sets. Assuming Dark Pit is a clone.
But yeah pretty much. Alternate versions is not a new thing to Smash.
Dark Pit might be unique because we do see what resembles his staff in the render. Hopefully we see some official footage of him soon.

D

Deleted member

Because his entire characters exists essentially because of a pallete swap from Bawl. It's almost like a bad fanfic or something.. In fact I'm sure there were 'Dark Pit' fanfics before the new Kid Icarus was even shown.

Here's an analogy I like to make.. Pretend that Sakurai directed a new Starfox game. In this game, he introduced a new character, Dark Fox (based off of Fox's black color from Brawl) who plays a semi-minor role in the story. Then in the next Smash game, Sakurai adds Dark Fox onto the roster as a clone of Fox(pretend other Fox clones never existed). Like.. Would no one else find that to be stupid?

The whole situation just seems dumb to me. A 'dark' version of a character isn't exactly a horrible concept, but that isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is that if the Kid Icarus series was developed by anyone other than Sakurai, Dark Pit would practically have no chance of getting in. He's a character Sakurai would overlook and deemed 'too similar'.. But because Kid Icarus is a brainchild of Sakurai, he's yet again letting his bias show. I mean, look at other 'dark' characters.. Dark Link is a costume, despite holding much more significance in the Zelda series. In terms of moveset potential, look at the Dark Samus assist tropy. I'm saying this as someone who is typically against 'dark' versions of characters being added to the game.. I never was keen on Dark Samus being a playable character, but after seeing her ingame, she has some pretty awesome looking attacks. I think she could have been a cool addition.

Well anyway.. Done with my rant. Yeah, I just don't like how Sakurai can be so biased at times when he says he tries not to be.
Yes, he's biased because he made an alt into a separate clone at the last minute for gameplay reasons. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I find 3 KI characters too much at this point (same with 4 FE characters and 7 Mario characters), and on normal pretenses, it would be rather biased to just throw in both Palutena and Dark Pit willy-nilly, but given the circumstances, it's rather judgmental to play the "bias" card while using points against Pittoo that could be very easily applied to Luigi pre-Smash 64.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Yes, he's biased because he made an alt into a separate clone at the last minute for gameplay reasons. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I find 3 KI characters too much at this point (same with 4 FE characters and 7 Mario characters), and on normal pretenses, it would be rather biased to just throw in both Palutena and Dark Pit willy-nilly, but given the circumstances, it's rather judgmental to play the "bias" card while using points against Pittoo that could be very easily applied to Luigi pre-Smash 64.
If Smash 64 was developed right after the very first Mario Bros game and had Luigi as a separate character, I would have found it just as strange. But I don't think it's at all fair to compare Luigi and Dark Pit at this point though..

And yes, he is biased, because it's not like Dark Pit was the only option for an alt.. Of course at some point you have to make a decision and can't waste time making the clones, but I definitely feel that Sakurai went with a personal preference rather than choosing what he thought most fans would enjoy.

I won't lie though, I guess I'm just biased against characters with such lazy designs. I just wish game companies would just put to rest the whole 'dark' character concept.. Leave the creating a new-character-from-recoloring-an-existing-one to the fanbases already. I'm always reminded of this video whenever I see such characters.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

I don't see how DP is any more justified then Wolf and Falco, basically dark Foxs in all but name, or basically any other clone. He looks like Pit, and so do most of the other clones. It's not a big deal. You haven't even seen his moveset. What makes you so sure DP won't have an interesting one?

If Smash 64 was developed right after the very first Mario Bros game and had Luigi as a separate character, I would have found it just as strange. But I don't think it's at all fair to compare Luigi and Dark Pit at this point though..

And yes, he is biased, because it's not like Dark Pit was the only option for an alt.. Of course at some point you have to make a decision and can't waste time making the clones, but I definitely feel that Sakurai went with a personal preference rather than choosing what he thought most fans would enjoy.

I won't lie though, I guess I'm just biased against characters with such lazy designs. I just wish game companies would just put to rest the whole 'dark' character concept.. Leave the creating a new-character-from-recoloring-an-existing-one to the fanbases already. I'm always reminded of this video whenever I see such characters.
DP appearing to be the generic evil twin is part of his character. I don't think a single person went into KIU expecting DP to be an actual interesting character. Most of KIU's characters are parodies or subversions of typical video game personalities, in fact.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
He does. His hair is black, Pit's is brown. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Key words "at this point".
Back when Smash 64 came out, Luigi was basically "Green Mario"/"P2 Mario" during a period of time when "Super Mario Bros." became "Super Mario" and leaving Luigi out of anything that wasn't a multiplayer side activity.

We get....
Genderswaps for Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Robin
A wireframe design and a hoodie for Little Mac
Two sets of shorts and sports bras for Zero Suit Samus
Alph as an alt of Olimar
All 7 Koopalings for Bowser Jr.
The obvious overalls for Wario ala Brawl
Whatever alts we don't know about yet (such as Dry Bowser, Metal Sonic, Ms. Pac-Man, etc.)
and Dr. Mario and Lucina as another two intended alts that were promoted to last-minute clones due to gameplay properties
Yet Sakurai is biased just because he even considered Dark Pit as an alt to begin with.
Despite....Dark Pit being considered an obvious choice as an alt by quite a lot of people and being pretty much a requirement with Pit's outdated black palette.
So we know that the "Dark Pit wasn't the only option" reasoning to be moot considering he was one of many alts and held more merit than say...Alph.

I agree that dark counterparts are a cliché at this point, but at the very least Pittoo defies near all the tropes associated with them and is a breath of fresh air. And isn't something like "Mecha-Pit"....

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
One thing that I won't like about his inclusion however is the explosion of Pit x Dark Pit material on the web (fanfictions, yaoi, ect.). *shudders*

D

Deleted member

One thing that I won't like about his inclusion however is the explosion of Pit x Dark Pit material on the web (fanfictions, yaoi, ect.). *shudders*
Implying that hasn't already happened...*vomits*

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Implying that hasn't already happened...*vomits*
But that's the issue, there will be even MORE of it now that he's in a popular game like Smash as a fighter. Maybe that was all part of Sakurai evil plan: Adding him to join the KI lineup with Pit and Palutena just to get more fujoshi to buy the games. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Trust me, I've seen far worse.
Doesn't make the low-tier junk any less vomit-inducing.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
If I'm being honest, I think Fox having TWO clones is a bit more silly than Pit having one. At least Dark Pit has a cool theme.

I'm curious if Pittoo's trophy will say his first game was Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I think saying otherwise is a little misleading. :D

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
The only 'clone' I'm not excited about is Dr.Mario.

He's literally the same person clone. The other clones are at least different characters.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Dark Pit is one of my favorite characters in uprising, but I really don't agree with him being a playable character.

However, after Shulk, he's probably going to be second amiibo I buy. Assuming I buy an amiibo, that is. I'm not sure I want to own an almost useless piece of plastic, but we'll see.

If you like Darkpit, why don't you want to have Darkpit as a seperate character? I think you know that he could have an unique moveset.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well they have different wings. That should count for something.
Though there's the issue of the wings changing color depending on the alternate costume, though it shouldn't be too hard for darker colors being used for Dark Pit.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We all assume that Sakurai is biased towards Kid Icarus.. but what if it's Nintendo pushing the KI agenda?

All they would have to do is ask Sakurai to represent the franchise more.. especially if they think the franchise has a future.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If Pittoo was anything like Lucina or MetaKnight when it came to looks, then I wouldn't have been as much annoyed on his inclusion as now.

What's even weirder is that apparently since he gets Dark Pit Staff on his moveset, it suggests he's a semi-clone. Man, wouldn't I want to go back to the days where Sakurai was actually humble and holding back with his preferences (most of the time) like in Melee, where he didn't instantly add 2 more Kirby-reps. And I'm laughing why he hadn't bothered differentiating Pittoo's looks.

Hell, Lucina must had been damn lucky to get even promoted, she's gonna be unimpressive compared to Pittoo's biasedly more polished moveset.

I feel like killing a puppy if Sakurai leaves Kid Icarus-series behind after SSB4, if not doing a sequel to Uprising is any indication. This guy holds pretty big responsibility with his biasment to me - he better carry the series on he so grew to love now.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
We all assume that Sakurai is biased towards Kid Icarus.. but what if it's Nintendo pushing the KI agenda?

All they would have to do is ask Sakurai to represent the franchise more.. especially if they think the franchise has a future.
I believe Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem are in similar situations.

Both had hugely successful games on the 3DS, both inside and outside of Japan. They both got two new characters in Smash 4, one with a unique moveset/gimmick and a clone based on an existing character. These two franchises were not well-known outside of Smash before the release of their latest games.

Of all 40+ characters to make clones, Sakurai chose Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit. The latter two are obviously pandering to the fanbases of both franchises. Both Lucina and Dark Pit have major impact on their games' storylines and are also popular characters according to polls, some of which conducted by Nintendo and others by Japanese magazines.

Putting all the circumstances of their origins and implementation, they are actually reasonable choices for the roster.

I agree there may be some bias on Sakurai's part, since he made KIU and is a major FE fan, but it's not be the only factor that could have influenced their inclusion, as mentioned above.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Am I the only one who is a tad bit annoyed by the "WHAT IF NINTENDO IS INFLUENCING SAKURAI FROM ABOVE" theories?

Sakurai has been noted to be an 'auteur'. He has full, hands on control over his games, and nothing gets in without his call. He's is obviously highly respected by Nintendo's staff and especially Iwata, whom he was tight with back at HAL Labs.

It's true that Intelligent Systems and Game Freak have more say in the matter on how their characters are chosen, but otherwise I'm pretty sure Sakurai chose the newcomers and such based on his criteria.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
*Insert Yo Dawg Meme here*

D

Deleted member

If Pittoo was anything like Lucina or MetaKnight when it came to looks, then I wouldn't have been as much annoyed on his inclusion as now.

What's even weirder is that apparently since he gets Dark Pit Staff on his moveset, it suggests he's a semi-clone. Man, wouldn't I want to go back to the days where Sakurai was actually humble and holding back with his preferences (most of the time) like in Melee, where he didn't instantly add 2 more Kirby-reps. And I'm laughing why he hadn't bothered differentiating Pittoo's looks.

Hell, Lucina must had been damn lucky to get even promoted, she's gonna be unimpressive compared to Pittoo's biasedly more polished moveset.

I feel like killing a puppy if Sakurai leaves Kid Icarus-series behind after SSB4, if not doing a sequel to Uprising is any indication. This guy holds pretty big responsibility with his biasment to me - he better carry the series on he so grew to love now.
Yeah, I don't care whether or not you do your usual pity party antics, but don't do them in my thread, ok?

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Dark Pit seems to be getting an unfair rap

Mostly because they think he's just a palette swap, rather than his own character.
I dislike him because he should have been a palette swap, rather than his own character. If the leak is real (which it seems to be holding up as) and he is positioned on the roster as he was shown, he will undoubtedly be a clone that *ahem* "doesn't have a tipper", so to speak..

Speaking of palette swaps, what would Dark Pit's alt colours be?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom