• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Lucina was given an intro when she first showed up. I think that basically disconfirms Dark Pit as a separate character.
Like I pointed out, the fact that he didn't get an intro would lead me to believe that he'll be a secret character if he gets in. Unlockable =/= secret.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Like I pointed out, the fact that he didn't get an intro would lead me to believe that he'll be a secret character if he gets in. Unlockable =/= secret.
I still think Lucina is unlockable as well, they just showed her as a Red Herring for Robin's reveal.

EDIT: Sorry, you said secret. I still don't buy it, but we'll see. It probably wouldn't matter much if he's a separate character or skin either way, though. He's not going to be any different from Pit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's one difference I would bet my soul on that is non-negotiable if Dark Pit is playable.

He will use the Dark Pit Staff in his moveset somewhere.

Actually, there's two.
His Final Smash won't be the Three Sacred Treasures. He has no access to them; only Pit does (ignoring that Hades borked them and all...).

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
There's one difference I would bet my soul on that is non-negotiable if Dark Pit is playable.

Actually, there's two.
His Final Smash won't be the Three Sacred Treasures. He has no access to them; only Pit does (ignoring that Hades borked them and all...).
Doesn't this actually undermine the possibility of him being a last-minute clone?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
This is begging for Dark Pit to be in, at the very least, as an alt.

Or a very last minute clone like Lucina. Maybe Lucina wasn't the only "lucky newcomer".

Alt or not, Dark Pit's chances at being playable are likelier than ever.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
This is begging for Dark Pit to be in, at the very least, as an alt.

Or a very last minute clone like Lucina. Maybe Lucina wasn't the only "lucky newcomer".

Alt or not, Dark Pit's chances at being playable are likelier than ever.
Yeah, with this Sakurai quote, I think that he will be playable, but that he won't have his own slot.

We just need the FE treatement: 3 original characters (with Medusa of course :awesome:) and a clone.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So in Sakurai's new Famitsu article, he said something interesting that could relate to Pitoo.

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
This confirms that alternate costumes can in fact be different characters. In fact, Lucina was planned as one for Marth.
I think with this confirmed, Pitoo's chances as an alternate costume rose even higher.

It's either an alt, or a stage boss.

EDIT: I just noticed that people are already discussing this. :p

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So in Sakurai's new Famitsu article, he said something interesting that could relate to Pitoo.

This confirms that alternate costumes can in fact be different characters. In fact, Lucina was planned as one for Marth.
I think with this confirmed, Pitoo's chances as an alternate costume rose even higher.

It's either an alt, or a stage boss.

EDIT: I just noticed that people are already discussing this. :p
I was going to extrapolate about names, thinking that I talked about languages like French, where, for example, the male Villager is "Villageois", while the female is "Villageoise", but as Japanese doesn't use such differences, It probably refer to different character (not to mention Lucina was indeed intended as a costume).

I think it's the best option to have Dark Pit as a costume with voices. He is a real clone of Pit after all. So it's some convenient fanservice if he is a costume.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
It would be interesting if Darkpit can use Aries Armor and Energy Charge... if he use Aries Armor he doesn't get much damage. But his attacks are weaker... And Energy charge. His attacks are stronger but his defensive is weaker. So you have to decide in every situation between strength or defensive. ^^ And if you want you can go back to the normal balance between strength and defensive with the same button with which you used the power.

Aries Armor:

without protection against knockback and status effects like paralyze, freeze and so on.

Energy charge:

You keep that also you get a hit until you change too Aries Armor.

What do you think about it?

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
If Dark Pit is playable, Who are the ones that would talk with him in the Codecs? Hades? Medusa? Pandora?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai confirmed in the interview that Lucina was an alternate skin of Marth who he decided he could give a slight difference to, so she was made a separate character. He also confirmed "name" doesn't matter when making skins now.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ehh, fair enough reason I guess.
I'm thinking that Dark Pit was planned as a last minute clone right around the time Sakurai could've decided on last-minute clones, around the time when the Dark Pit tweet was posted.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I realized how early in the beginning of the reveal would be if Pittoo were playable, minimal budget required.

All they have to do is give an extra cutscene where Dark Pit flies and a montage of his gameplay.
They could add a Hades cutscene too.

D

Deleted member

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean they might be willing to slap on the same Final Smash anyway, like they did with Wolf?
No, I'm saying that while Wolf was originally added as a last-minute clone, he was altered to be almost completely original which didn't undermine him.
Dark Pit being given the same treatment even if it's just at a lesser extent where he uses the Dark Pit Staff instead of an Arm or Orbiters and has a different Final Smash wouldn't undermine him either.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
I hope he will be a individual dark character. I love dark pit and I think rather an individual dark pit for a more versatile SSB4 as a clone character. That would be a waste if they doesn't use his potential.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Dark Pit's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

dedekong

Smash Cadet
Would Dark Pit's toughest opponents be those of the Bruiser and Resistor variety?
I envision Dark Pit as an aggressive character that racks up damage by hitting fast, but not too hard. Characters that would be able to dust off his attacks would probably be of the "resistor type," so I'd say them.

Furil

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this was pointed out, but here is more evidence for Dark Pit being a clone.

Lucina was a clone and shares artwork with Robin.

Every character in the artworks, beside Isabelle and Chrom(who are both in the game), are playable characters.
So at very least Dark Pit could be a costume(with voices and stuff), but since he would need a new final smash, it's possible he could be a Lucina-esque clone :)
(He could also be an assist trophy, but something tells me he would have been shown by now, and I really doubt he's just a regular trophy)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
This + Palutena's Trailer + FE trailer + Lucina = glorified alt costume to me.

If he had his own slot, he would have received the same treatment as Lucina. But now, I'm confident that he will be there.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'm fine with Dark Pit being an alt. Think he could get completely redone taunts rather than just a new voice?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Ah, the picture with the figures.

Honestly, while we are all aware of Sakurai's bias, I think a Figma figure and a Smash character are different concept. While I understand fully the marketing in giving Dark Pit his staff with the Figma, I think it's preferable for Dark Pit to stay as a costume.

While I understand the logic of making Lucina a Marth for beginners, I don't really see reasons to make an alternative moveset from Pit. Also, Pit may not use everything from Uprising, he represent the game well (Palutena and items contribute too).

But, well, that's just me. I'm not a develloper after all.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I'm gonna have to go with glorified costume as well. His lines and tone will probably be different from pit's, to show his personality. However I won't rule out the possibility of "clone" due to the fact that we have Lucina AND Toon Link.
(also, I'd rather have Medusa or Hades before Dark Pit as an individual character)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

Actually, there's two.
If Dark Pit had his own slot in Smash 4, it would be cool if the Dark Pit Staff was his default weapon. If he is an alternate skin, I could see him wielding the Silver Bow.

Since Pit's moveset obviously focuses on close-range combat now, I think Dark Pit's should focus on long-range combat. As for a Final Smash, Dark Pit could fly at the front of the screen, then for a limited time take potshots at opponents, similar to Snake and ZSS's final smashes.

I threw together this basic moveset for the heck of it.

[collapse="Dark Pit moveset"]
Jab (Rapid Fire): Unlike most characters, whose jab consists of a close-range sword or hand-to-hand combo, Dark Pit will rapidly fire a barrage of shots from his staff that damage the opponent whilst pushing them away. (FYI: This move was actually inspired by Saki Amamiya's assist trophy, not Mega Man)

Dash Attack: Dark Pit leaps forward whilst shooting a quick barrage of shots from his staff.

Forward Tilt: Same as his Jab, except he walks forward whilst firing. Very good for approaching, as it allows you to close in on the opponent whilst they are stunned from your shots.

Neutral Aerial: Same as his Jab, except he does it whilst in midair.

Forward Smash: Just like in his game, Dark Pit performs a strong 3-hit combo with his staff. Just like Link's forward smash, Dark Pit's forward smash is all about timing. The first two hits do not knock away the opponent, but do a good amount of damage. The final blow knocks the opponent well out of arm's reach, allowing Dark Pit to snipe them from afar.

Standard Special (Auto Reticle): A reticle appears in front of Dark Pit, which can be aimed with the control stick. Once the player targets someone, all he/she has to do is let go of the Special Button and Dark Pit will fire a charged shot from his staff. The longer the distance, the more powerful this move is.

Side Special (Super Speed): With his free arm held in front of him defensively, Dark Pit charges forward in a sprint, knocking away any opponent whom he collides with. Can be used as a recovery, and is also handy for getting away from opponents.

Up Special (Pandora's Flight): Similar to Pit's Power of Flight.

Down Special (Energy Charge): Dark Pit builds up energy, increasing the power of his attacks. Whilst this move is in effect, all of Dark Pit's moves will deal more damage and knockback than they normally would. If Dark Pit gets hit or takes damage, he will lose the powerup. Otherwise, the powerup lasts indefinitely.[/collapse]

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I like the idea of some of your moves, the forward tilt, the jab, dash are good. I'm unsure of the neutral air, maybe Dark Pit could also hover like Mewtwo in Project M if that attack were in the game. I don't agree with the all the special moves aside from Pandora's Flight (His recovery should be shorter than Pit's too), the charged shot of the Dark Pit Staff should be his F-Smash.

I would put it like this:

Neutral Spec: Darkness Bow: Dark Pit shoots off a huge, controllable, dark arrow that does devestating damage to the opponent, although it takes a long start-up and a long cool-down and it is a slow projectile.

Side-Spec: Pandora's Claws: Dark Pit jumps forward a good distance to slash the opponent with the claws, similar to Mac's Side-Spec.

Up-Spec: Pandora's Flight: Functions the same as Pit's only his recovery is half the distance.

Down-Spec: Eye Orbitars: Functions the same as Pit's, only it does slightly better knock back and damage and has homing too. Although the projectile is relatively slow. The Orbitars can only stand against normal hits for 3 attacks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom