• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit General Match-Up Thread

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I still don't know if I have enough Info for Diddy vs Pit. I've only had a few looks at the MU's and it's too...broad to explain atm...if that makes sense...Pit vs Zelda I've played enough to say that this MU wasn't designed with Melee in mind. At a Higher level it's not very melee-ish. Actually the same thing can be said about Pit vs Diddy. Both MU's are extremely lame unless both players agree ahead of time to not play smart.

Diddy is simply too fast on the ground and in the air he's...just like a wild monkey. All over the place and with the peanut gun, Bananas, and Nearly movements with little-no lag it's just...not safe to try to chase him down and even if you do the monkey has some strong kill options on you. To be fair if Diddy just charges pit he'll get ***** in the same manner. So you end up shooting at Diddy while he runs around and occasionally when one of you slips up(Pun intended) Well then you get wrecked and probably killed.

Zelda is slow but has a way to keep pace with pit. A good Zelda who's mastered Canceling the Up-B can not only keep pace with you but if you aren't careful they can surprise you with it. However, between that and Neutral-B Zelda doesn't have much to keep you from controlling the space of just about every stage. If you change the trajectory of the arrows about a character length before impact then you will never have an arrow reflected back at you. Therefore you are free to camp/carefully(I stress carefully) approach as you see fit. The only thing that keeps this MU from being WIDE in Pit's favor is how well Zelda punishes everything bad that pit can do. If you don't space right on zelda's shield...her OoS Options will destroy you. Her combos on you that lead to finishers if you aren't careful while at the same time she maintain's the ability to escape your Major killing options so it becomes an attrition battle. The only true combo-kills you can get on Zelda are 100% Vertical. You can do some Horizontal Combos on a Zelda at low % like...0-45% past that I wouldn't risk it. don't play with Dins, Zelda has nasty dins traps so hit them, shoot them....etc. Whatever it takes to not get caught in a trap. They are also good for getting in the way of your recovery and should you fly around a wall of Dins there is a good chance a Zelda Boot will be waiting when and where you emerge. If you manage to get to the ledge you might have to wait them out before you move. Exploding Dins can kill you as soon as 60% on some stages.

For now that's all I got. I'll try to get more on these (specifically Diddy) in the future.

BlinkIV

Avenger
About the Diddy MU, you're pretty much saying what I said about Diddy way earlier in this thread.

However, there are some points you made that I disagree with in that MU, such as:

If either character rushes in, then each can screw each other up, yeah sure. But imo, Diddy has it easier to approach Pit with his tools, compared to Pit's tools. Mainly as Pit, you just wanna space as well as you can, and hopefully catch Diddy off-guard with an attack. Diddy has a good amount of moves to get in with against Pit, and his bananas can make life hell for Pit, if Pit isn't thinking right, of course. So it can be more effort on Pit until he gets that one hit on Diddy, and hopefully confirms into a gimp or a kill. Otherwise, you're gonna have to find the perfect spacing to reset the situation and catch Diddy again.

So, like I said earlier in this thread, this MU can be hard for Pit, and easy for Diddy. Even worse, if you play a smart Diddy, who has an excellent Banana game, and knows what to do, it can be worse for Pit. I just think Pit has to constantly mix it up against Diddy, space correctly, avoid bananas and try to catch him all at the same time, which you can already tell, sounds like hell.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
About the Diddy MU, you're pretty much saying what I said about Diddy way earlier in this thread.

However, there are some points you made that I disagree with in that MU, such as:

If either character rushes in, then each can screw each other up, yeah sure. But imo, Diddy has it easier to approach Pit with his tools, compared to Pit's tools. Mainly as Pit, you just wanna space as well as you can, and hopefully catch Diddy off-guard with an attack. Diddy has a good amount of moves to get in with against Pit, and his bananas can make life hell for Pit, if Pit isn't thinking right, of course. So it can be more effort on Pit until he gets that one hit on Diddy, and hopefully confirms into a gimp or a kill. Otherwise, you're gonna have to find the perfect spacing to reset the situation and catch Diddy again.

So, like I said earlier in this thread, this MU can be hard for Pit, and easy for Diddy. Even worse, if you play a smart Diddy, who has an excellent Banana game, and knows what to do, it can be worse for Pit. I just think Pit has to constantly mix it up against Diddy, space correctly, avoid bananas and try to catch him all at the same time, which you can already tell, sounds like hell.
Well yeah Diddy is faster, Faster = advantage.

The problem is the head to head Match-up isn't in your favor and the camping MU is about even. it's just...ghey

BlinkIV

Avenger
It MIGHT be even if Pit just soloely camped Diddy out. But remember, if you do camp, Diddy gets easy stage control (Assuming bananas are placed), and it can sometimes force you into a bad position of where you don't want to be against him.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Peach Vs Pit:

I have a weird feeling about Peach Vs Pit, of course with her being a floaty character. It feels very weird to combo her after a grab (D-Throw for example), since she can just N-air right after it. Fighting her on the ground can be even to me, you can just space a few aerials, bait her to come to you and you do whatever. Arrow camping and mixing those up can work too, but she's got her radishes which do clank/trade with Arrows. The only ideal way for Pit to convert from that would be Z-Catching the Radish after it trades with an arrow and AGTing it back to Peach and do a combo from that. Also, taking Peach to a stage you can kill off the top, and gives Peach trouble recovering is also ideal, such as Dracula's Castle, same could be said for Shiek.

That's just some stuff I gathered from the get-go.

Edit: I have some input for a few other MU's if anyone wants to hear my opinions for them.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Peach Vs Pit:

I have a weird feeling about Peach Vs Pit, of course with her being a floaty character. It feels very weird to combo her after a grab (D-Throw for example), since she can just N-air right after it. Fighting her on the ground can be even to me, you can just space a few aerials, bait her to come to you and you do whatever. Arrow camping and mixing those up can work too, but she's got her radishes which do clank/trade with Arrows. The only ideal way for Pit to convert from that would be Z-Catching the Radish after it trades with an arrow and AGTing it back to Peach and do a combo from that. Also, taking Peach to a stage you can kill off the top, and gives Peach trouble recovering is also ideal, such as Dracula's Castle, same could be said for Shiek.

That's just some stuff I gathered from the get-go.

Edit: I have some input for a few other MU's if anyone wants to hear my opinions for them.
I have alot of trust in my arrow aim. Sometimes too much. From the right distance I usually shoot Peach's Turnips and then shoot her. if I can't shoot it I'll usually Down-B it or try to Z-catch it. You can't really Dthrow-**** peach like you can other characters but you can Uthrow her and then Uair/Usmash her and try to keep her above you. Jab-Dsmash Jab-Dtilt not sure what I'm gonna call it but Pit has a stupid good jab...like..it's just dumb...it's so stupid. I suggest messing around with the Gentlemen Cancels. They are silly....just silly. Also Glide-FF-Uair is good for getting people into the air and it's not nearly as easy to crouch cancel like Dair'ing. I'll add more when I'm fully awake lol.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yeah, I can add much more to the Peach MU now, since after this tournament, I ended up taking out UTDZac (Peach/Shiek), and Infinity (Peach), so I got a good feel for fighting against her now. But really, Pit can play an arrow game against her turnips, and you can do whatever. Most of the time if you land a D-Throw, you could just do a retreating F-air and reset the situation, or any other aerial. I also find U-Smash also works really well against floaty characters in general, since they can't really SDI out of the hits, it's a good move to use to kill them. Unless you can read a float with a B-air, or Glide-FF-U-Air as well, also at high percents, if you can't land that U-Smash, you can always get an arrow hit confirm into a reverse B-air for a kill.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yeah, I can add much more to the Peach MU now, since after this tournament, I ended up taking out UTDZac (Peach/Shiek), and Infinity (Peach), so I got a good feel for fighting against her now. But really, Pit can play an arrow game against her turnips, and you can do whatever. Most of the time if you land a D-Throw, you could just do a retreating F-air and reset the situation, or any other aerial. I also find U-Smash also works really well against floaty characters in general, since they can't really SDI out of the hits, it's a good move to use to kill them. Unless you can read a float with a B-air, or Glide-FF-U-Air as well, also at high percents, if you can't land that U-Smash, you can always get an arrow hit confirm into a reverse B-air for a kill.
Good **** bro. Making your father proud ;).

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Lol'd at "Making your father proud", Archangel the daddy Pit?
I feel that way. I'm the only one still playing pit since before demo 2.0. Everyone else who was playing him as long seemingly quit so...yeah. I'm still working on a minor pit guide....idk how it's going to turn out. Hopefully helpful.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Lol, I've been playing Pit too, I just didn't post as much back then as I do now. A Pit guide would be cool and stuff, but it's always nice to get some input from other Pit players as well, since most people are likely to believe tournament-viable sayings, and how said player does in tournaments with said character.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Lol, I've been playing Pit too, I just didn't post as much back then as I do now. A Pit guide would be cool and stuff, but it's always nice to get some input from other Pit players as well, since most people are likely to believe tournament-viable sayings, and how said player does in tournaments with said character.
absolutely. It's not as much of a match-up guide as it is a character guide. I think alot of people would like to play pit but they just don't understand him. So...it explains alot of his tricks and what he can do.

as far as guide like...Match-up guide or general tactics...nah I'm far from completing that...and I'll need alot of input.

BlinkIV

Avenger
I got experience in some MU's with Pit, that could definitely be of assistance, but as for using Pit as a character, I've seen some people play, and everyone has a different style. To me when I watch other Pit's, I try to understand what they wanna do sometimes, but then there are some Pit's who are to accustomed to Brawl Pit and don't understand Pit is viable, and his metagame doesn't need to revolve around camping.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I got experience in some MU's with Pit, that could definitely be of assistance, but as for using Pit as a character, I've seen some people play, and everyone has a different style. To me when I watch other Pit's, I try to understand what they wanna do sometimes, but then there are some Pit's who are to accustomed to Brawl Pit and don't understand Pit is viable, and his metagame doesn't need to revolve around camping.
true, Although I think camping is a relatively safe way to start. You've gotta branch out into combo'ing and what not. Did you see the PM stream I was on the other day? I remember you came but it was later and we were doing melee at the time.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yeah, of course, you can start ANY game with a little camping to get some % in, and let them come to you for whatever you wanna do. I didn't get to watch PM, after I left I packed up and left for HOBO.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yeah, of course, you can start ANY game with a little camping to get some % in, and let them come to you for whatever you wanna do. I didn't get to watch PM, after I left I packed up and left for HOBO.
Well the whole stream was recorded I'll post it in a few to the video Archive thread.

BlinkIV

Avenger
I have a few MU's I wanna bring up for discussion and hopefully get some insight against them. These MU's are being:

Link: Back from 2.1, this MU was always contested, especially in the Link boards. Some say the MU is 60-40, Link. Some say 60-40 Pit, some say dead even. I've played the MU from Pits side, but I haven't played it from Links side, so I can't really determine what this MU looks like. But in terms of zoning, I think Link has an advantage in some cases against Pit in the zoning game, especially if you were to take a Link like..Hylian for example, for someone who's that tech-savvy with the game, and has an amazing zoning game with Link, it seems troublesome for Pit. But then again, if Link lands that grab on Pit, he can make Pit regret it, BUT Pit can ALSO do the same exact thing against Link and sometimes it can even lead to a gimp, possibly arrow gimp. I don't wanna say this MU is like Marth Vs Captain Falcon in Melee, but it kinda seems like a "variation" of that.

Toon Link: I can't say I have much experience against an actual TL main, so there's not much I can really say about this.

Zelda: This MU, I want to consider in Zelda's favor. Not only because of her being floaty, but because of the things she can do against Pit. She can zone amazingly, she can set up traps, most of her moves can shut Pit down in terms of approaching, and not to mention her Nayru's Love, which works fairly well against Pits zoning. After playing a Zelda at HOBO 39, and BARELY clutching out the win (Made a comeback last stock and won with 168%), I can really say this MU is a pain for a Pit player. 60-40 Zelda's favor starting out imo.

Shiek: This MU, I actually kind of like this MU. I don't consider it bad for Pit at all, I do have experience playing a few Shieks, and beating a few in a tournament setting. So, my advice in this MU is just go ham on her. Shiek can do some good pressure, and her F-air is just amazing as is, but Pit can also apply the same pressure, but with a better zoning game imo. Try and bait Shiek to grab and tech chase you and avoid it as best as you can, but if you can land a grab on Shiek (Or anyone in general), they'll regret it, big time. Pit also has a better recovery game against her, so gimping Shiek isn't that much trouble to do. Just keep a good neutral game, zone her out, and combo her till you can gimp, and if you can't land the gimp, then combo into Pit's Up-B and take the kill. Few combos being: D-Throw > Up-B, or U-Smash > U-Air > U-Air (Weak hit) > Up-B.

Ganondorf: I've got a little experience on this MU, but I can definitely offer some advice to help players get a head start on learning this MU. Ganon hits like a truck, easy as that. But he's slow, and that can be easily abused by Pit. Like usual, keep a good zoning game, go in when you can for a grab, or convert off any aerial (If you catch him in the air), and combo him until he can't handle it anymore. I don't wanna say this MU is free, but I wanna say Pit can have a HEAVY advantage if played correctly, and that's just from the few Ganon's I've played against.

Yes, the Zelda characters. These are just brief "vibes" I got from playing people using said characters.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Link: Back from 2.1, this MU was always contested, especially in the Link boards. Some say the MU is 60-40, Link. Some say 60-40 Pit, some say dead even. I've played the MU from Pits side, but I haven't played it from Links side, so I can't really determine what this MU looks like. But in terms of zoning, I think Link has an advantage in some cases against Pit in the zoning game, especially if you were to take a Link like..Hylian for example, for someone who's that tech-savvy with the game, and has an amazing zoning game with Link, it seems troublesome for Pit. But then again, if Link lands that grab on Pit, he can make Pit regret it, BUT Pit can ALSO do the same exact thing against Link and sometimes it can even lead to a gimp, possibly arrow gimp. I don't wanna say this MU is like Marth Vs Captain Falcon in Melee, but it kinda seems like a "variation" of that.
it's like Marth vs Captain Falcon in many ways actually. Accept...instead of neither having projectiles they both do. And they both have means of dealing with the other's projectile. Although, they made Link's shield smaller which doesn't seem like much but it's a big change in this MU. Easier to hit means easier to set up. Easier to set up means easier to **** up. On top of that Pit's got some amazing kill power added to his arsenal. It's feeling more like it's in Pit's favor based on the grounds that it's been made easier for Pit and harder for link but it could still be relatively even.

Toon Link: I can't say I have much experience against an actual TL main, so there's not much I can really say about this.
I think this Match is pretty good for Pit. Tink's best option is to play like Armada vs hbox and just try to *** pit out. Pit can spam but Tink can spam as fast while on the go and it becomes a camp fest. Up Close Pit's got the edge based almost entirely on his design. He's taller with longer reach, faster attacks and better more natural combos on Tink. However, if it becomes a camping match it's pretty much 50-50. If you get inside on Tink it's 60-40. I'm still gathering info on this though.

Zelda: This MU, I want to consider in Zelda's favor. Not only because of her being floaty, but because of the things she can do against Pit. She can zone amazingly, she can set up traps, most of her moves can shut Pit down in terms of approaching, and not to mention her Nayru's Love, which works fairly well against Pits zoning. After playing a Zelda at HOBO 39, and BARELY clutching out the win (Made a comeback last stock and won with 168%), I can really say this MU is a pain for a Pit player. 60-40 Zelda's favor starting out imo.
oddly enough Zelda players I know/Play think it's in Pit's favor. Zhime for example thinks Pit wins the MU or at the very least it's Even. The thing about Zelda is she can only dance if you lead. Meaning she kind of has to wait on you and punish you for making a bad play/mistake. If you don't make bad plays and just generally play safe/******y than Zelda is forced to make moves at the risk of being ****ed up. As for her positive points you are right. She can set you up with her stupid Zelda traps. The very first time I played a good Zelda back in 2.0 I thought Zelda was broken tier and Pit was like 30th. Although I've had on and off contact with THEE Zelda player of Project M and after awhile of playing I must say it feels more or less Even. Maybe slight Pit's favor but....not more than 55-45. The issue with Playing vs Zelda that is likely getting you ****ed up is trying to Combo her Horizontally. You almost cant do it it's kind of impossible. And trying it will get you plenty of shocking counter hits to the face(yes pun was intended). She is extremely weak Vertically in terms of anti combo game. Dair, Uair, Uair, Up-B for example can actually be a thing against Zelda. Just learn to control the Uair so you don't always hit with the sweet spot of it. get her above you and Uair her into Strong Uair or Up-B is your best bet.

Also, there is a matter of Zelda being able to fly out of hitstun via Neutral B or Side-B. You have to learn the timing and you can actually punish this sometimes because....well, you have wings. Other times you have to give up a combo finisher because she just won't be there anymore.

Shiek: This MU, I actually kind of like this MU. I don't consider it bad for Pit at all, I do have experience playing a few Sheiks, and beating a few in a tournament setting. So, my advice in this MU is just go ham on her. Shiek can do some good pressure, and her F-air is just amazing as is, but Pit can also apply the same pressure, but with a better zoning game imo. Try and bait Shiek to grab and tech chase you and avoid it as best as you can, but if you can land a grab on Shiek (Or anyone in general), they'll regret it, big time. Pit also has a better recovery game against her, so gimping Shiek isn't that much trouble to do. Just keep a good neutral game, zone her out, and combo her till you can gimp, and if you can't land the gimp, then combo into Pit's Up-B and take the kill. Few combos being: D-Throw > Up-B, or U-Smash > U-Air > U-Air (Weak hit) > Up-B.
I feel like Pit vs Sheik is like a sheik ditto accept that Pit is better overall. It's almost like they took the general Idea of sheik and gave it a buff in the form of pit. Sheik's got experience and general character knowledge over pit but that's all. I see this Match getting easier and easier as time goes on. I've already stopped having trouble vs Sheik pretty much. Combos flow like Water on Sheik any combination of Uair/Dair/Nair/Fair and even soft hit Bair can lead to consecutive hits so explore the combos and really start whooping sheik's ass.

Ganondorf: I've got a little experience on this MU, but I can definitely offer some advice to help players get a head start on learning this MU. Ganon hits like a truck, easy as that. But he's slow, and that can be easily abused by Pit. Like usual, keep a good zoning game, go in when you can for a grab, or convert off any aerial (If you catch him in the air), and combo him until he can't handle it anymore. I don't wanna say this MU is free, but I wanna say Pit can have a HEAVY advantage if played correctly, and that's just from the few Ganon's I've played against.
Free, Against a Great ganon...it's a 50% off special. Pit wins, Not even sure if it's in Ganon's favor on a counterpick.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
I must be the only one who thinks sheik vs pit is a bad match up for pit. She has the advantage in close, lingering hit boxes, better grab game, better kill setups, comparable tech chase game at the least.

It might just be the way I'm approaching the matchup but that's how I feel.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Vs Link: It's not really a camp fest, but you both are playing the same style in the MU. Link has to stay back, and camp to force Pit to approach, while Pit has to arrow-camp him to approach as well, you both combo each other really well, but Pit has the advantage off-stage, and with gimping as well, Link has a harder time gimping Pit (Unless you get capped by an arrow), and if Link tries to AGT recover, just shoot the bomb in the air, or shoot Link, and it's an instant gimp.

Against Shiek: I definitely feel it's in Pit's favor, all around. Pit has better kill setups against her as well, and it's probably how you're approaching this. Are you going in and being aggro? Or are you staying back and trying to arrow camp her?

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
I am a very aggr player, comes from years of fox/falco playing since 06. I just realize that for me, the only thing I feel pit has the advantage in in that match is edgeguarding and only because sheiks recovery is sub par. Well, and arrows and his own recovery as long as it's high.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Sorry for the double post, I got a few MU's down for discussion, and sadly, these are looking out to be bad MU's for Pit.

Luigi - Pit doesn't have anything guaranteed on Luigi, he can't throw combo Luigi, and it's really hard to get him with aerial combos, due to his weird. He can outspace Pit with his B-Air, and Pit doesn't have any move that that beat it out. His N-air is super stupid, he can N-air out of Pit's combos. Which really leaves Pit at a disadvantage, and almost forcing Pit to completely camp this MU out.

Zelda - Things are weird for Zelda, it's almost the same as Luigi but..Pit is able to combo her, and his best way to do so is just U-Air juggle if possible, always U-Throw her and keep her in the air and juggle her into KO's is possible. Do NOT try to fight her camp, and always take safe approach options, be wary of Nayru's Love as it's really good, and really abusable.

ZSS - I haven't played any notable ZSS mains, but from playing a few friendlies against ZSS, I'm seeing this as bad, and potentially could be Pit's worst MU. Note: Potentially, so there's other options of who could be his worst MU. - Up for discussion

Donkey Kong - I'm not sure to put this in DK's favor or Pit's favor, or slightly even on both ends. But this MU is different. Pit (Of course) can combo DK into a gimp (N-air offstage > DK's recovery), but, Pit can't really play a solid camp/keep away against DK either. DK can dash attack through Pit's arrows and easily break his "Wall of camp", and DK hits like a truck anyway, so it's really weird to play this. Gotta play aggro against DK, and make sure to kill him as fast as possible, or else he'll do the same to you. Both characters have guaranteed combos & throw combos on each other. -Up for discussion as well

Go.

McNinja

Smash Ace
ehhh I don't know about DK... i'm fairly sure that Pit wins it. DK is such a large target to hit arrows with. If you stay at a range, he can't dash attack through them as easily. Plus, DK is super easy to gimp.

DK's up b hitbox is huge. Use that to your advantage. *hint hint use your mirror shield to reflect it*

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
sheik beats pit 55-45. sheik gas easier/more rewarding everything off her everything. also dthrow/bthrow mixups on di for strong follow ups.

peach kinda handles pit pretty well. i struggle to take games off silly kyle.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Weird, I've really need had a problem fighting Shiek and beating her with Pit. It might just be the Shieks I play against? Pit also has some strong follow ups from his grabs on her, though.

Yeah, I can agree with you on that. I've played/beaten a few Peach players in tournament before (Infinity, UTDZac), and it's hard for the most part, the only way I was able to take those sets were by keeping them in the air and juggling safely (U-Airs, soft spot U-Airs, B-airs, weak hit B-airs, etc). But if you're playing a notable peach like Silly Kyle, I'm more inclined to take your advice on this MU.

For DK: I do agree for the most part, it's just if you can play safe and avoid being grabbed at ALL times, then glory to you and keep it that way. Otherwise, yeah just run for your life. Mirror/B-air/N-air are all good options to gimp DK as well :p

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
I don't have any vids from 2.5, but Okami was beating me extremely solidly in 2.0 and 2.1. We also did the match up in a bunch of the backroom builds. my best record vs his sheik was during the period of time when pit had a frame 3 marth utilt. <3 pit does have strong grab game vs sheik but sheik has a general advantage in terms of an equally strong grab game, better range than pit on moves like ftilt/bair, and a better CC punish game. Remember that pit kinda loses to CC/Shield.

vs silly kyle, idk. i can bring him to 1 stock on avg. but sometimes he just 3 stocks me and thats the end of it. on small stages pit just gets whooped.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Right, I'll just have to play some more Shieks and see how that turns out, but honestly. I find Zelda being more troublesome than Shiek is.

BlinkIV

Avenger
I took your advice on the Zelda MU, and found it a LOT easier, I had a solid 2-0 against a Zelda in tournament this past weekend. Thank you based Mizuki.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I have been watching some of the videos on the video thread, and it seems like Pit has some trouble against Marth. His range is just a little shorter than Marth's and he seems to get smacked by dair and fsmash edgeguarding. How do you guys (and girls) deal with Marth aside from picking giant stages (I saw you, Xeven, with that Port Town counterpick!), and spamming arrows?

BlinkIV

Avenger
I agree, it's like I talk with Sethlon about it. We've both agreed Pit has trouble against Marth, and that both characters are similar. Marth having longer range but no projectile, whilst Pit having shorter range but projectiles. So, Marth can wall out Pit pretty easily with F-airs, and Pit has a little more trouble (Due to the range game), but when Pit gets that ONE hit (Or grab), he can make up for past troubles of getting bodied. But for the most part, in a neutral game, try to avoid hitting Marth's shield too much (OoS D-air can wreck Pit so hard), you always have to try and stay safe and get as much damage at every given opportunity.

Stage-wise, I recommend going to a big stage, but not somewhere insane like Port Town (It's not too good when you play it, it seems like a good idea though). Places like, Dreamland, Norfair, Dracula's Castle, etc. Also, no matter what you do. Never, ever, ever go to Skyloft vs Marth. If you SO happen to go there by accident, always stay away from the ledge on the left side, Marth can F-Smash through the stage, and hit RIGHT under the ledge, which punishes almost 95% of Pit's recovery game (Unless you risk it and try to recover high). Any stage in general with a slant on the ledge is bad for Pit.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I see. Thank you. When I was watching your match vs Sethlon I noticed that you were crouch cancelling a lot of his fairs and then following up with a dtilt. Did you feel like that worked for you? Also, do you have any suggestions for gimping his recovery? I personally feel like the arrows a slightly harder to hit because Marth's dancing blade does not last that long. Anyway, what do you think?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Archangel, i saw in your matches vs pbnj that you used Pit's down b to negate damage from Marth's fsmash. How strong is the shield and how viable is that strategy?

BlinkIV

Avenger
In most cases, CC D-tilt isn't really effective against Marth, most times I was just experimenting to see if there was anything Pit could really abuse against Marth in certain situations. Pit doesn't really have many good CC options, probably just D-Tilt and U-Smash (But U-Smash doesn't come out super fast, so it's not too viable).

About using Pit's Shield, if you can read that Marth is gonna F-Smash you at any case, you can shield it, and either get the reflective property, or just a solid block. But it has crazy CD, so it's really good to use it off-stage if you know the Marth player is going to F-Smash while you're trying to recover (Ex: Glide > Glide-Cancel > Mirror)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Thank you. The Marth I have in mind is an fsmash spammer, so the shield should come in very handy. I see what you mean about Pit not being able to abuse any really good moves against Marth. It seems to me that this matchup is all about Pit playing smart with the punish game. Even though Marth does not have a lot of lag on many of his moves, Pit can still capitalize with some well placed arrows and nairs.

Top Bottom