• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Social Thread

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Mmm, that's possible but it's doubtful.

Katakana for "bo" is ボ while katakana for "jo" is ジョ. The Hiragana is also dissimilar and there isn't a specific word for "jolt" referring to electricity in Japanese, so they would've just put "bolt" if it was using a Japanese word. Honestly, I think what happened is that one of them found out jolt can refer to electricity in English and thought "Hey, that's really cool! Let's make it that" and the name was born.

Actually, now that I think more on that, Pika's Fsmash is much more of a Thunderbolt move than neutral B.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Gonna be the first time I touch Pika in PM this weekend. Anything I should be aware about that's different from his Melee counterpart?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Gonna be the first time I touch Pika in PM this weekend. Anything I should be aware about that's different from his Melee counterpart?
You have back air, and you can qac. There are more changes but these are things you can do right off the bat

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I don't know if people have messed around with Footstool/QAC interactions before. Its really really tight timing, but Footstool> QAC down >DJ>footstool > loop is a guarenteed loop on the whole cast. Its not CC able, and if they SDI the QAC you can drift slightly with your DJ and Footstools have a snapping effect as well.

Its really frame tight but its a legitimate infinite, or at least a loop until you reach an edge.

Edit: by really frame tight i mean that I can only do it in training mode on 2/3 and slower speed, and only hit more than 3 reps on 1/4th speed >.>

Edit edit: so I checked up on some frame data. After a footstool, the footstooler has 20 frames of advantage on the opponent, so that means for the loop you have 20 frames to QAC again. the tight part is DJ>Footstool consistently.

Edit Edit Edit: So yeah this was a brawl thing that I had just forgot about. Thats what I get for thinking I found something knew. Still the timing is a lot tighter than before.

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Hey guys, I've been wanting to main Pikachu in Melee for awhile, but was hesitant due to his position on the tier list. In the end I decided to go with what was more fun to me, so here I am!

I tried Pikachu on P:M yesterday, and the QAC and such makes him just a blast to use. Just stopping by to say hello to my fellow Pika mains!

Player -0

Smash Hero
The CT tierlist is very misguided. M2K didn't vote because of his lack of experience himself and said the same thing about other CT members.

btw ZeRo thinks Fox is mid/low tier in P:M.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, not sure if this belongs here but since people frequent this thread the most...

I've recently refurbished my controller attempting to fix the control stick and c-stick, where the control was oversensitive and the c-stick didn't work half of the time. Good news is the c-stick is working now, but the control stick is still oversensitive and upon further research I don't think I can fix that.

I'm torn between taking advantage of single handed QAC wavelands vs having less Quick Attack control in general (though that's probably just me because I suck at this game), so for the deciding factor and my question to you guys - how important are f-tilts, shield drops, and moonwalking to Pikachu's play?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
If you were a Melee player, PM will feel oversensitive to you. Don't really know, might be your countroller to. Pikachu's up-tilt is good as well as his shield drops, his f- and d-tilt is very situational. Moonwalking isn't needed, as cool as it is. QAC is definitely more important for Pikachu's play. If you want to do up-tilts still (don't know how serious the controller issue is), you could turn tap jump off. You would need to press jump when holding up for QAC now but it would be one possibility

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
U tilt has been good. And yeah, I have had an easier time QACing because of the problem. I just think it's annoying that I dash attack half the time I want to f tilt, but if that's not important I guess I could try to use it less

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
If I try to theory craft, I'd prefer:
  • Wide distance between edges and blast zones for maximum quick attack camping. If I'm confident in anything it's how the match can shift into Pikachu's favor offstage
  • Stages with edges that can sweetspot from many angles (not sure but sometimes I try to hit and it doesn't connect, but that may just be my scrubbiness; can't really attribute it to particular stages yet either)
  • Stage size has a role, but I don't know whether smaller is better for faster U smash/F smash/Bair kills or larger for more survivability. That might just be personal preference
But I don't really have enough experience to call this true so I don't know if its good for that thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I'm not a Pikachu main but it really helps me if the platforms make
- his aerials safer
- extend his nair/up-air juggles

I'd say Battlefield is really good for that reason.

Also far blast zones because of Pika's good recovery, and low ceilings because of up-smash:

Dreamland, PS2

Not as good are "go in" stages where you can't defend yourself against an opponent just rushing at you.

Green Hill Zone

B.W.

Smash Champion
Double posting. Stop me. This thread is too quiet.

I'm picking up Pikachu as a secondary to my Olimar. Mostly because he's fun, but I'm back in this thing. Been practicing QAC stuff a bit too, and it's awesome. So fun.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Double posting. Stop me. This thread is too quiet.

I'm picking up Pikachu as a secondary to my Olimar. Mostly because he's fun, but I'm back in this thing. Been practicing QAC stuff a bit too, and it's awesome. So fun.
I think the Q/A and video thread are the most active. I think the Q/A is also pretty much a social thread.

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
I love pikachu and have been maining him for awhile now. Up-tilt/up-air/up-throw juggles are godlike. And d-throw to DACUS is a very nice little chain on heavy characters.

It sucks though because it seems like I have nothing left to practice with him. I can do just about all pikachu tech really well, but I just need to practice general mentality and gameplay versing other people. The problem is that I can only play with competitive players about every other weekend so there's nothing in between that time to do.
Any advice or other things to practice?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I love pikachu and have been maining him for awhile now. Up-tilt/up-air/up-throw juggles are godlike. And d-throw to DACUS is a very nice little chain on heavy characters.

It sucks though because it seems like I have nothing left to practice with him. I can do just about all pikachu tech really well, but I just need to practice general mentality and gameplay versing other people. The problem is that I can only play with competitive players about every other weekend so there's nothing in between that time to do.
Any advice or other things to practice?
Pikachu can't Dacus...

And in between time you can practice your movement, that is one thing that makes pika amazing

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Yo Pika people! It's been a while. I finally got my controller fixed only to find a better one back when I returned home from college, so now I can finally Ftilt and maybe QA properly.

Anyway how do you guys practice QA angles and positioning? I'm toying with trying to go through all of the target tests using only QA to move and attack the targets, and that seems to be working so far as long as I don't QA into a Deku nut or whatever.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yo Pika people! It's been a while. I finally got my controller fixed only to find a better one back when I returned home from college, so now I can finally Ftilt and maybe QA properly.

Anyway how do you guys practice QA angles and positioning? I'm toying with trying to go through all of the target tests using only QA to move and attack the targets, and that seems to be working so far as long as I don't QA into a Deku nut or whatever.
That's a great idea actually. I'd also practice on the edge too though, it's really important to know which angles you can do on the edge.

If you have a friend you could have them try to recover with a character such as R.O.B. and you QA spam through their Up-B

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Umm

Go look at the Melee data, and make damage/hitboxes slightly better.

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
I'm getting better and better at playing with pika, I love him so much. Hopefully I can see anther at a tourney soon, we're both Midwest players, and get some tips from him.

Anyways, quick (and possibly stupid) question, is it bad to use tap jump for QaCs? I'm much more fluid using tap jump for most of my QaCs and using Y when I choose to wavedash out of it. If button jumping will help me me much more I can work on it.

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
I'm getting better and better at playing with pika, I love him so much. Hopefully I can see anther at a tourney soon, we're both Midwest players, and get some tips from him.

Anyways, quick (and possibly stupid) question, is it bad to use tap jump for QaCs? I'm much more fluid using tap jump for most of my QaCs and using Y when I choose to wavedash out of it. If button jumping will help me me much more I can work on it.
you can use anything to qac or any other advance techs, it just depends on what you press faster I guess

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
Double post HA
Any else notice the great chu can d-throw CG some character at low %
So far I have don it to Lucas Zss
and Roy

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I use tap jump most of the time but I'll also use x and l to wavedash out of it.

Also just wanted to say this: pika can still do an aerial when you qa from the ground to the left or right and then down, since there's a bit of time when he's in the air. I don't think it's useful at all though.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I use tap jump most of the time but I'll also use x and l to wavedash out of it.

Also just wanted to say this: pika can still do an aerial when you qa from the ground to the left or right and then down, since there's a bit of time when he's in the air. I don't think it's useful at all though.
This was in Brawl too, if you QA'ed to the ground you could do any aerial. In Brawl the only thing you could get from it was the second hit of Dair, in P:M I think you can get think you can get a tiny/small part of some other moves, jumping is typically better though.

Top Bottom