• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

busken

Smash Ace
Yeah pikachu is really hard to understand imo. the easiest part to understand about pikachu imo is edge guarding(which is still complicated, overrated, and mu dependent) and Esam just made a guide about to fight againt pika too, so maybe we can use that to our advanatge?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Hey guys. I've played Smash for 6 years using wii mote + nunchuck and I know the Pikachu is quite a technical character. How will using just a wii-mote affect my gameplay without a c-stick?
It's not that important unless you want to do perfect pivot tilts.

busken

Smash Ace
It's not that important unless you want to do perfect pivot tilts.
Also, some official tournaments only allow certain controllers. EVO for example is only allow gamecube controller and wii u classic pro controller..

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to recover from a FF bair from the ledge on smashville and town and city? I can do it in training mode with some consistence on battlefield, but I can't get it on the animal crossing stages, even from the apex of a shorthop off the ledge.

One more question. I am having trouble consistently running off edge as pika. It seems like pika auto snaps to ledge at random times even with the left stick in full run position. Does anyone know the mechanics behind this? It's really messing up my edgegaurds. My best guess at an explanation would be that this can happen if the dash > run transition happens at the ledge, but that wouldn't explain all the occurrences of this ledge snap especially the ones that happen when walking. This has been really frustrating to experiment with.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Some stages have a higher bottom blast zone so it's impossible to recover from an immediate ff bair on those stages. What you want to do is delay the ff a bit after you bair and you should be able to recover.

D

Deleted member

Other than Quick Attack Canceling and (obviously) recovering, what other uses does Quick Attack have? Why should I use it on stage?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You can use it to make safer landings/get out of juggles, get out of being cornered, and use it as a punish or to chase from a distance.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
QA is also godly for weaving in and out of projectile campers. There are certain angles of approach that characters like mega man have no answer for.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I posted this in the MU thread, maybe this was a better spot. I have a lot of trouble with my friends Luigi, is it a bad MU or am just bad? I can beat him and just do a lot better in general with my other characters (Kirby, Greninja, Charizard, and I even managed to two stock him my 2nd game with Roy.) but with Pikachu I struggle to even keep it close. He seems to have an answer for everything I throw out. Just to list a few things he gives me trouble with.

-Hard to combo because of nair

-Fear of Shield grabs and U-Smash makes approaching from the air risky

-Fireball can cancel out T-Bolt

-Smashes come out fast, hard to punish.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
For example, say you're up against a character like Megaman, R.O.B., or Olimar, who primarily rely on horizontal projectiles to control space. You can't approach from the ground at all (unless you really want to walk forward and perfect guard those triple lemons or variable-speed Pikmin), and as a general rule, they can respond to a SH Fair or Dair by hopping a little before tossing their lemons, or just backing away before tossing more stuff. This is where QA comes in: you can use the speed and unpredictable approach angle of QA to instantaneously move around their projectiles, and the hit stun of the attack to start your juggling shenanigans, since these characters are relatively helpless when you're under them, especially the large stun of QA[2] (the second hit of Quick Attack). I tend to go with a 30-330 angled approach, or a SH 0-315 angled approach, with the goal of landing inside of my opponent for the juggle. Once they start looking for this approach, you can start intentionally landing away from them and then running in to punish their counter-attack decision. Remember that you don't have to commit to landing anywhere until the second direction of Quick Attack, making the move generally frustrating to try and respond to.

tl;dr: QA around projectiles, hit them with QA[2], go for juggles. It's good.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Why am I constantly put in a helpless state when trying to QA cancel? What causes this/how do I avoid it?

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Why am I constantly put in a helpless state when trying to QA cancel? What causes this/how do I avoid it?
The usual culprit is trying to QA cancel too deep. You want to space the QA so that it ends just past the ledge--any further and you go free fall. 1.0.8 recently made the QAC a little stricter, so that might play a part, as well.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
If someone techs a run off back air stage spike or hits a verticle wall like on duckhunt, has anyone been able catch them with the thunder spike hitbox? Just occured to me that this may be possible but have no means to test it. Crossing my fingers.

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
yes you can catch them depending on where they go when they tech the stage

fatman.spam

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-1985-1832
Hello what are the best secondarys for Pikachu?
I thought about lucas.

Last edited:

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Shiek and Luigi are good just cause they're amazing. But I think a character with good disjointed aerials is one of the best ways to compliment pika. So since he has a sword I like Roy Pika.

busken

Smash Ace
sry but what are disjointed arials?
We have a Question and Answer thread, where all of your questions can be answered. By making threads like this, not only are you cluttering the board, but you are seeking information that has already been answered elsewhere.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
What are pikachu's mixups?
Running behind Tjolt is a basic mixup, I guess, since the opponent has to guess if you're going to attack on the ground (if the opponent does nothing), attack in the air (if the opponent jumps the jolt) or go for a grab (if the opponent sits in shield).

On another note, what's the safest option to poke shields with Pika against a defensive player?

Last edited:

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
On another note, what's the safest option to poke shields with Pika against a defensive player?
Pika has next to no options that are truely safe on shield, but d-tilt, jab, and crossing up with SHAC Dair are safe on some of the case. Really we have no valid pokes, just try and get a grab.

Last edited:

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
At what percent does a fast falled fair produce enough hits run to guarantee an FSmash or upsmash? Does it matter what point during the fair that it's cancelled on?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Fsmash and maybe even usmash are not guaranteed after ff fair. But I believe the best time to use usmash is when your opponent pops up after you land. Sometimes ff fair will force them to land and they will always have enough time to shield if you try to usmash. I'm not 100% sure though. I'm actually gonna look into this.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else been grinding out the d-throw > rising nair > ff fair > regrab set up? I've been working on this after seeing ESAM take a couple of different shieks around the world with this combo/string. I'm finding getting it to combo requires really really frame tight inputs, one of the harder pika combos I've learned. I've only been going against a CPU on stop, so I'd love to hear from anyone with a practice partner about how DI affects this set ups viability.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You mean rising uair, right? I think you have to know how they're going to DI for it to work. Since most people DI away, I always do a running full jump uair to start the combo.

Thor

Smash Champion
What are pikachu's mixups?
A mixup is literally just doing something other than what is considered "standard" - as an example, Nairo will fsmash after dsmash as ZSS [standard], but he'll also do Boost Kick, jump to where they pop up and boost kick, go out for a uair, go for a bair, or even go for a down+B spike. These are ALL mixups because some of them require different vectoring/DI from what's usual.

As a result, just isolating mixups is hard, but one very basic mixup is to do a fastfall fair and then either dash behind them and usmash [expecting a roll back], grab [expecting shield], wait a moment [looking for a spotdodge], or fsmash behind you [expecting a roll behind you]. These are all mixups because fastfall fair rarely true combos into grab [definitely can't be ocmbo'd into usmash consistently].

Another easy to explain mixup is bair offstage - you can do it and try to stage spike them, OR fastfall it so they go lower and hope they try to tech, which will result in an airdodge and death.

I posted this in the MU thread, maybe this was a better spot. I have a lot of trouble with my friends Luigi, is it a bad MU or am just bad? I can beat him and just do a lot better in general with my other characters (Kirby, Greninja, Charizard, and I even managed to two stock him my 2nd game with Roy.) but with Pikachu I struggle to even keep it close. He seems to have an answer for everything I throw out. Just to list a few things he gives me trouble with.

-Hard to combo because of nair

-Fear of Shield grabs and U-Smash makes approaching from the air risky

-Fireball can cancel out T-Bolt

-Smashes come out fast, hard to punish.
From what I've seen, uair and well-space fair can beat his nair, so you have to have very tight spacing to effectively combo him. Dair from above should beat his nair as well [I was told by a Sheik main that our dair beats her uair...], although that's impractical for combos.

For approaching from the air, I THINK SH dair has good pushback, but you have to commit immediately for that, so it's far from an effective aerial approach when deciding while already in the air. You can do crossovers and also attempt to use fair, but spacing fair is very difficult [I think we need someone to confirm if it can actually be spaced around shieldgrabs... I think it can but it's hard at best].

If he's doing fireball to clank t-jolt, you're probably doing something right. One mixup is to do a fullhop or SH to try to bait a fireball, then QA into him in fireball endlag and go from there [though obviously you don't always want to do that or he'll space around it or not fireball and punish]. Also because of how t-jolt works I'm pretty sure they don't always clank [sometimes they go through each other].

His smashes just are not easy to punish, but fsmash if he just plain whiffs and you can react is good, since long-range fsmash on Luigi's shield is very hard to punish unless he powershields it [high pushback on fsmash + low traction on Luigi]. If he misses a usmash, ftilt or dtilt him for at least a bit of percent and a potential jab lock if he misses the tech at certain percents. On shield, I think you can either try to punish a spotdodge or roll, but otherwise it's probably safest to simply have a tactical retreat [go back to neutral and poke more].

Hope some of this helped.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about Pika's ability to cover ledge options. I've been experimenting and it seems to me as if shielding at the ledge allows Pika to punish every ledge option on reaction. Nair OOS seems to punish normal getup, up-air covers ledge jump, and dash grab covers rolls. Will Nair OOS stuff getup attacks on reaction, or does shielding at the edge setup a 50/50 between normal and getup attacks?

If these punishes are guaranteed on reaction then I feel like we can flowchart ledge punishes with pika.

One more quick question, is this the sort of topic that warrants its own thread or is better stuck in the Q&A or match-up threads (for case by case analysis)?

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Our shield is extremely powerful thanks to N.Air/U.Air, but we can also do B.Air
I think Nair is optimal in the ledge scenario. Nair is active from frame 3-20, where as bair hits frame 4 and has non active frame and doesn't auto-cancel from a SH. But who knows, could a FH rising bair lift the opponent then send them offstange? It'd be more % than a weak hit of Nair, but not sure if possible.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
What options does Pikachu have for safe shield pressure? I constantly get shield grabbed out of aerials and tomahawk in doesn't seem a consistent enough mixup against decent Shieks, Luigis, Nesses, etc,

busken

Smash Ace
What options does Pikachu have for safe shield pressure? I constantly get shield grabbed out of aerials and tomahawk in doesn't seem a consistent enough mixup against decent Shieks, Luigis, Nesses, etc,
Dtilt and nair. Dtilt forces jump nair beats its. Nair with thubder jolt can also catch rolls. D-air is good too

Top Bottom