• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu in depth guide, by pictish freak

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
well i did pour all my effort out for pikachu and i still continue to do it... and demoncaterpie, that kinda stuff, takes a long time to learn. its just a matter of practicing fast hop and fast fall w/ a lot of L-canceling. and DD as well. make sure ur shield grabbing, and also using U-smash from the shield. and completly master WDing if u already havent. umm that generally sums up AK.....

Red Dragon

Smash Lord
That Pikachu in Jack's website is all technichal skill. To reach that kind of speed just takes practice, i wasn't suprised since most of that stuff i already do and know, but a trick that did suprise me was when he dash danced and forward smashed, omg what a friggin mind game, i been practicing it and it works like a charm ^_^. That was a very fast and technichal Pikachu, i love seeing Pikachu's play like that :D.

I still think that variety in the characters that you choose is very good for your overall game. I now play a Link, a very fast and technichal Link, and thats all thanks to my Falco and Pikachu, and now my Pikachu is a bit more on the mind game side thanks to my Link. Variety helps, and you should all know that. Sure, at the time to compete, it may be difficult to switch styles immediately, its pretty weird to go from a Falco to a Link, but you get to learn different traits, and you get a different kind of view, and that's going to help. I love switching to different characters, it keeps the game lively. But i always stick with a main character.

I do agree that switching main characters is a very bad idea though. Because your main character is the one you should focus on more than anyone else, if not, you will never improve to the level you want to be in. I practice other characters, but thats only to improve my Pika.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Originally posted by Red Dragon
That Pikachu in Jack's website is all technichal skill. To reach that kind of speed just takes practice, i wasn't suprised since most of that stuff i already do and know, but a trick that did suprise me was when he dash danced and forward smashed, omg what a friggin mind game, i been practicing it and it works like a charm ^_^. That was a very fast and technichal Pikachu, i love seeing Pikachu's play like that :D.

I still think that variety in the characters that you choose is very good for your overall game. I now play a Link, a very fast and technichal Link, and thats all thanks to my Falco and Pikachu, and now my Pikachu is a bit more on the mind game side thanks to my Link. Variety helps, and you should all know that. Sure, at the time to compete, it may be difficult to switch styles immediately, its pretty weird to go from a Falco to a Link, but you get to learn different traits, and you get a different kind of view, and that's going to help. I love switching to different characters, it keeps the game lively. But i always stick with a main character.

I do agree that switching main characters is a very bad idea though. Because your main character is the one you should focus on more than anyone else, if not, you will never improve to the level you want to be in. I practice other characters, but thats only to improve my Pika.
Thanks for the support, Red. Weve been trying to convince Pictish to follow this path forever. Playing with other characters really does improve your skill.

Electricmouse

Smash Ace
Yeah, i'm starting to agree with yall about playing as other characters affecting pika skill. I've been trying out new floaty, slow characters and I've noticed that it has negatively affected my pika skill.

Red Dragon

Smash Lord
It also has to do with the characters that you choose.

Electric Mouse: Let's say your main character is Pikachu, and you want to train with a character thats floaty, like peach, well that is going to negatively affect your skill with Pikachu, because when you switch, you're going to feel much slower, and that has to do with falling speeds and the way both characters jump and short hop. I forgot to mention that. You have to pick characters that are different but have similar traits. You can still pick floaty characters and fast fallers at the same time, but it will take some time to get used to the change in speed and traction.

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
let me add in some things that will clarify this. there are different types of characters as in weight: floaty, middleweight, fastfallers, and lightweight. since pikachu is in teh lightweight category it will be easier to adapt to people that are in that category as well. but movesets are also important as well and should be kept in mind and how it will affect your game with pika or whoever.

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
yep and specifically it will help you "be in tune" with your character a lot more, meaning that since u have to adapt to faster gameplay it will be a test of your focus and sharpen that category as well.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Melee Warrioir
yep and specifically it will help you "be in tune" with your character a lot more, meaning that since u have to adapt to faster gameplay it will be a test of your focus and sharpen that category as well.
Good point, Melee. Since one of Pika's key factors is speed, being able to control it is essential for his gameplay.

Electricmouse

Smash Ace
Man, I started using my pika again just recently and discovered that my game is awful. Has anybody else had this happen to them and what did yall do to get your game back. I'm guess most of you will say practice but I was hoping for something that required less work. The reason this bugs me is that I'm going to MOAST3 pretty soon and I want to make sure I'm the best pika in Texas and besides I can't let vidjo's pika beat mine either.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Hey Nic, Is there anyway you could see if dcx is free to practice today? I'm getting home @2 again, so I'll be up for anything. I could help get your Pika back too. :p If not, you're welcom to come to my place if you want to practice.

Electricmouse

Smash Ace
I'll ask him when he gets back on AIM but I don't think he wants to today. He mentioned something about playing basketball friday and I have to help my roommate move so I probably won't be able to make it. I will ask though so at least you and dcx can get some practice, god knows wes gives me all the practice I need.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Heh, alright. Too bad y'all are busy. I didn't get to play during Thanksgiving Break.:cry: oh well, maybe some other time. I stil have my CPUs. :rolleyes:

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Electricmouse
Man, I started using my pika again just recently and discovered that my game is awful. Has anybody else had this happen to them and what did yall do to get your game back. I'm guess most of you will say practice but I was hoping for something that required less work. The reason this bugs me is that I'm going to MOAST3 pretty soon and I want to make sure I'm the best pika in Texas and besides I can't let vidjo's pika beat mine either.
No matter what you do, it's gonna require more work. The best thing to do is practice like you said. Their are no short cuts.

I'm going to Moast to, maybe I'll see you their. I still gotta sign up, though. Do you know where you do that?

Electricmouse

Smash Ace
No, Pictish Freak the Great is from Europe, I don't know where demoncaterpie is from. Isn't Mr. Silver coming to this, and isn't he from the same place as pictish. hint.. hint

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
i knew it was one of the "lands":chuckle:. anyways yes back on topic. umm.... pikachu is...... a ..... character........ lol im bad at this some1 else take the torch :confused:

Electricmouse

Smash Ace
Great more pika competition, just what I need. >_>

Man, with my pika in such a crappy state I can't make my case for best pika in Texas.

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
yah there are worse things that could happen like a virus in ur game that doesnt allow u to play as pikachu :chuckle: . anyways i bet its not THAT bad i mean who knows, what u think is ur worse, can beat ppl who think they are doin their best....:confused:

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Melee Warrioir
yah there are worse things that could happen like a virus in ur game that doesnt allow u to play as pikachu :chuckle: . anyways i bet its not THAT bad i mean who knows, what u think is ur worse, can beat ppl who think they are doin their best....:confused:
That's true. You may think your bad, but you could actually be good. Just keep on practicing and you'll be fine.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Is pictish freak still going to make a Pichu guide, even though he quit? If not, then who will?

pictish freak

Smash Ace
Yeah, no Pichu guide.

Yeah RDT, I quit and stuff.

(Only here cause I got directed by AT, yeah, anyhow.)

EDIT: FFS! >.< That avatar isn't allowed unless you're RDT! ... and yeah, whoopsie and crap. BAH!

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by pictish freak
Yeah, no Pichu guide.

Yeah RDT, I quit and stuff.

(Only here cause I got directed by AT, yeah, anyhow.)

EDIT: FFS! >.< That avatar isn't allowed unless you're RDT! ... and yeah, whoopsie and crap. BAH!
Oh...well.

Good luck with the rest of your life. You helped me be all the Pika I could be.

And thanks for the guide.

pictish freak

Smash Ace
Ohh err! I come to check on my guide (after posting in the TOAST thread) which I'm secretly proud I have around, and find out it's now 'Important' and Stickied? =) Yays.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Originally posted by demoncaterpie
Hey, everyone's got their reasons. If Pictish wants to quit, that's his decisison.

All though, it seems like a lot of people are quiting this year. Good thing the Gamecube 2 is coming out so SSBM3 can get people back into Smash.
There still hasnt been any confirmation of a SSBM3, though they better make one or someones gonna die. :D

SmashnTendo

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by RaptorHawk
There still hasnt been any confirmation of a SSBM3, though they better make one or someones gonna die. :D
Hehe,that could become true. I'm just glad that us Smashers can love and play this game so much without turning it into a cult.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
Add this to the con list. some of your attacks against mario can be used against you. like if he is above you and u use down B his cape will send it through him into you. You might die this way so look out you have been warned.

for you entertainment only

G@BE

Smash Lord
Iam sad now...i just recently picked up pika and i was hoping that the person that made this guide would still be around but at the same time iam not....

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
I just recently picked up Pikachu myself. I've been watching some of those videos from ssbm.it, the couple with chu and azen. Man! Talk about skill. I've been watching the videos at slow motion trying to get a feel for how they make all those moves. Will I find most of everything they're doing on your guide?

pictish freak

Smash Ace
Probably Those vids are quite old and don't show anywhere near everything Pika can do though. Neither does my guide however - it's not a guide to play perfectly in a tournament. It's simply the foundations of Pikachu's game so you know his core strats and what he's build around. From there, do as I did and deviate around it, work out what works against who and how. I mean, I can't even fathom describing everything I know through conditioning or luck... just gotta get experience.

Top Bottom