• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Hitbox Visualization

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Hello.
I thought it could be useful to dump these here.

If there appear to be any glaring issues, let me know and I'll see if it's a problem with the viewer.

And sorry about the weird lighting artifacts. The GIFs are actually harder to see without it. I'll try to make it less gross at some point.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
YOOO, that's super cool.
Are the hitbox visuals for other characters currently easily available to the common man? (i.e. the people who don't want to hack/mod the game?) If not, will they be available soon?

The only issue I see at a glance is with the dair landing one: Pika's body squishes vertically into the ground, so the hitbox is probably lower to the ground than it is here.

Last edited:

CEtro569

Smash Rookie
That's kinda cool how his dair spins with his body instead of staying in the static z-position. Would there be any case (like a single frame on a character standing funny) where this would cause the attack to whiff?

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Amazing work.

I believe the only issue may not the be hitboxes, but Pikachu's animation physics? In the game his body stretches significantly during a small few of his attacks which I'd assume alters the hitbox placement. Down aerial and dash attack are supposed to be disjointed.

Last edited:

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Was this achieved through data mining or is it only showing an estimation of where the hitboxes are? Amazing either way but I was just wondering.

Furil

Smash Apprentice
That is exactly it.
I don't really know how to code the mesh squishes and stuff.
The position of the bones and bubbles should be right, but since Pikachu squishes a lot, they may not be as accurate as in game. It should just be an animation thing, though.
Consider it a limitation for now, unfortunately.
Sorry about that.

This was originally just a for fun (and first 3d practice) animation viewer. I added a parser for AnimCMD scripts to display hitboxes.
So they are from both data mining and, even though they are read from the games files, are still technically approximations. They should be pretty accurate, though.

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Um...
I think maybe I was doing a calculation wrong...
I'm brand new to 3d, so it's possible

New calculation Dash Attack and Dair
Do these look more accurate?
http://i.imgur.com/mMZUA4Y.gif
http://i.imgur.com/TVFIajb.gif

I'm still not sure on dash attack.

A lot of the moves are the same (because of not being attached to bone), but here's an example of how ftilt and side tilt are changed.
http://i.imgur.com/jo4eCYK.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Ge4e5qJ.gif

A second opinion would be nice. I don't want to spread misinformation.

Edit:
I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to double post.

But while I'm editing this, I don't think the new calculation is correct, as it messes up jigg's hitboxes.
I guess it really is an animation thing because Pikachu is the only one so far really affected by it.

Edit again:
I found a small bug that messed up a few animations that I fixed.
Namely nair and fsmash.

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Forward tilt in your first post seems perfect. I have an old image of a glancing blow and if I quickly match it up with your initial calculation, I get this;

Down air looks a lot better, although I wonder what is making dash attack's hitbox disjointed in game.

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
OH, I think I figured it out! More or less.
Each model file has a "joint table" that aligns the hitboxes to the proper joints on the model. It's separate from the model's joint table, so they don't have to overlap.
For example, bone 16 is the right shoulder on the model file, but the head on the joint table. That's why Dash Attack and Dair are wrong.

I wish I would have realized sooner because these have been up a few days. Most already completed characters shouldn't have this problem, but since Pikachu's tail and ears are animated separate from his body, he was the most affected (specifically his dash attack and dair).

So here they are updated (first post is updated too):
http://i.imgur.com/FbAIVyW.gif
http://i.imgur.com/cl3xd3P.gif

Sorry for the confusion.

Thor

Smash Champion
Fair is less disjointed than I had figured [edit: it's actually really disjointed for the first frame according to an image I linked below], but that last hit is nice and big... dair is very disjointed [and a great landing option if it can be autocancelled on the way down].

These images are awesome. Thanks a ton.

Last edited:

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Wow this is super interesting. The fair hitboxes are different from Brawl, where they covered his entire body. I guess in order to fair spike the top hitbox has to land? The fsmash hitbox also differs a lot from Brawl and explains why it goes normal->strong->weak in this game.

Thor

Smash Champion
Bumping this because it's valuable. If we could get it pinned or added to the directory Soul. Soul. made, that would be fantastic [this information strikes me as too important to let it get buried].

Also holy moly the very first hit of fair is super duper disjointed [I assume this is for one frame of the move, as Pikachu moves forward and the move looks less disjointed for subsequent hits]:

upload_2016-3-23_1-52-17.png

Last edited:

Soul.

Already put it in the directory a few weeks ago. I agree with stickying it as well however.

I would love to see how shrunk the hurtbox in landing back air is, but I don't think hurtboxes are possible at the moment. If they are, it would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom