• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Angiance

Smash Lord
Our spaced F-Smash will outrange ALL of his short-ranged, laggy smashes. Falling F-Air, from a diagonal, will counter the tilts. Questions?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Though it outranges, the moves tend to clang and a lot of his tilts come out faster so it's difficult. And I'll try to make use of falling f-air in that aspect =o
Thanks!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Just because misinformation

You can't really outcamp lucario. He can shoot Aura Sphere's faster than we can shoot t-jolts and they either ping with them (they both disappear) or they beat them if his aura is high enough. YOu have to play the CQC game.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Glad to see that you're still willing to give us some of your input, ESAM. Are you going to Apex, by the way?

'spose I should ask something related to the thread too, huh? So, umm... Yeah, I've got nothing =I

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Of course I'm going~ I need to win another event :3

*Shall remain until I get annoyed again* *glares at Angiance*

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Is there a thread where we can view pika's punishment options Oos on every move?
I mean one where all the info is REALLY easy to find?
If not, we should make one :)

This is pointless, it would take way too much time and efffort.

Just have Pikachu's frame data, memorized.
Go to another character's frame data, look at the disadvantages on block for said move (Not all threads have this)
Then pick your punish.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
^^ What they said. If you know Pika's nair is frame 7 and a move is -8, you can punish it.

I'm going mostly ICs vs MK anyway this Apex.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Any tips on how to kill a kirby? It's annoying how kirby can use our projectile against us and camp with bair all the freaking time. Kirby can get us at like50% with those grab combos and all-in-all kirby is annoying.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
First off...avoid inhale. It's pretty easy to avoid inhale considering how mobile Pikachu is.

Learn how to SDI his throw combos. Assuming the normal F-throw > uair, SDI the uair up and away and then DJ out. He can't follow-up after that.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
@ESAM: Sounds like a good idea, haha.

@Mr. Pikachu: Yeah, just don't get inhaled. Feel free to camp him out as well, considering Kirby has worse approach options than we do, haha. As ESAM said, avoid getting inhaled and don't get f-smashed.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You do realise you have to enough time to.. shield drop -> dash usmash after you block a sh rising bair from Kirby, right ?
Even if it's retreating.

Also yay, I was agreed with :3

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Yus ouo
Do you guys full hop or short hop n-air out of shield?

Side note: I need to find a tournament -w-' It's so difficult to find tournaments over in this general area of Orlando lately =o

Angiance

Smash Lord
Ookami, OoS SH N-Air is better. Honestly, U-Smash's afterlag is so bad, combined with it's absolutely terrible range; doesn't seem like a great move, although it's startup is 8 frames. Dash Grab is a more beneficial option than Dash U-Smash in that scenario, since I --think-- we can grab Kirby during the weaker frames of his B-Air, clarification please?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Uhh..
I was saying as a kill option, not a damage racking option.

And is there really a difference between using SH Nair/ FH Nair Oos to punish ? I mean aside from the distinction of you going higher, and choosing whether or not to try and get a read, or just back off again.

PZ

Smash Lord
Uhh..
I was saying as a kill option, not a damage racking option.

And is there really a difference between using SH Nair/ FH Nair Oos to punish ? I mean aside from the distinction of you going higher, and choosing whether or not to try and get a read, or just back off again.
I am curious about this too but I have hit small characters with FH OOS Nair so I am not sure if there is much of a difference. FH version has better positioning than SH I guess...for followups of if it fails.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
No, there's definitely not much of a difference. I asked because I was asking for preference, as it is's just a matter of where you'll end up (placement wise). I wasn't really asking which one was better; neither really is. I was just wondering which option you guys take, whether it really matters or not XD

I'm aware though that if you SH N-air oos and you are shielded, there's always the possibility of getting grabbed and FH n-air puts you above them if they shield so both have their advantages and disadvantages.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You must have really slow reaction time for SHNair Oos to be shielded since you're using it to punish :3

Is Pikachu able to pivot grab Nado reliably ?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well, I'm not saying that happens to me or any of us, only stating it's a possibility for a late punish, haha.
I try to pivot grab nado and it works half the time, but I could be timing it horribly, haha.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
FH nair OOS is pretty much always better. If you miss the punish, a FH is harder to punish. If you get the punish, FHs normally put you in a better position to follow-up assuming like...above 20%

Pivot grabbing nado is really unreliable vs anybody with good tornados because they will either stop or be high enough to not get grabbed and end up hitting you in afterlag.

Uh...U-smash is an amazing move Angiance. Not only does it have low start-up, it's the only thing besides jump, grab, and dash attack that you can do out of a run. It's a kill move, it has really good range actually, and it's either as fast or faster than dash grab (Don't remember if 8 or 9 frames). Also, OOS u-smash for killing is awesome since you can jump cancel it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Oh, it always seems like it's better to stay in SH range; it feels like it makes my fluidity more...uh...fluid.

U-Smash IS good as a KO option (thanks for clarification)

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
It's almost automatic that I SH n-air oos so I'm going to try to practice that, haha
II wasn't too sure what you were saying when you said u-smash was a bad move =o It's one of the best, honestly.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Angiance, unless the opponent is <20 you can FH nair and if it hits just hold forward and fast fall and you are pretty much gonna be low enough anyway to continue pressure/strings.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Oh alright, thanks. Okay, so I've stripped my playstyle to revolve around D-Tilt, U-Air, and U-Tilt; what're the flaws?

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I mean d-tilt is an excellent move and all but I value f-air much more.
That being said, revolving your play style around a specific and limited set of moves is a really ineffective method...Pikachu has one of the absolute best overall movesets. Find ways to utilize everything. Even moves you might consider less effective like b-air and jab really shine where they are useful.

Angiance

Smash Lord
I'm focusing on D-Tilt, U-Air, and U-Tilt because I want the gap in between my actions to be as little as possible, that's not to say I've completely forgotten the other moves, but I'm just gonna focus on those 3 during a match until I see/create opportunities against the opponent. Jab and Bair are super good, I love them~

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
True as that is, tis not an important fact regarding the usefulness =o
Sidenote: My birthday is saturday =o Might try live streaming on twitch of me and some friends playing a bit.

Reth92

Smash Cadet
Happy birthday Ookami ^^ what's the best way to implement pikasliding into your game? The rest of pika's ATs have obivious use but pikasliding... meh

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Happy Birthday Ookami! I wish I knew how to pikaslide. I thought it was dtilt>tap back on control stick>smash attack. Btw is pika's dash attack good?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Dash attack is his worst move. I've only really used it to hit someone who is trying to land and that's only if I know grab or usmash aren't fast enough. They'd also have to be at a high percent so you don't get punished after you hit with it.

Top Bottom