• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I was talking about using dash attack in general scenarios, lmao. I know I can do it safely OoGR.

EDIT: I should have been specific in my post, lolz.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The more money people donate to me the more likely Anther will go.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Three-quarters noob here.

Trying to get a sort of daily pika-workout going. Any suggestions on basic techs and goals to focus on?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
most of the things are player specific more than character.

Learn how to use the buffer system well (mostly after d-throw or f-throw)
Learn the ranges of moves
Try to get an idea of your head of the Chaingrab %s (and practice that)
Learn the different angles of QA and how they can be applied (QAC comes later)

Those should be good at first.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Once you've learned pikachu's moveset (which doesn't take long at all, Pika's easy to pick up, it's mastering him that's hard), I have one simple suggestion. Find someone that's significantly (although not ridiculously) better than you at the game, and lose. Over and over again.

Sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but you won't learn much from beating on CPU's or people worse than you, and one of the best ways I know of to identify and eliminate flaws in your play is to have a good opponent abuse said mistakes until you quit making them. For example, dash -> up smash isn't too bad speed-wise, does nice damage, good knock back, and is a decent KO move is you catch the opponent.

It is also ridiculously predictable, often over-used by a bad player, and not that hard to punish.

Once you take care of that and become less predictable (trust me, it's really easy to fall into bad habits), the next step IMO is to try and start reading your opponent.

As a simple example, if you're up against someone who spot dodges and rolls around a lot, start spamming down smash. It has a very high chance of nailing anyone that's not shielding, and although the payout isn't terribly much (5-6% if they know what they're doing, possibly far more if not), it's basically free damage because you've read your opponent, quite possibly over and over again. (Of couse, if you're up against a good player, they'd realize what you were doing and start shielding more, which means you'd switch to using grabs to counter, and so on... Brawl is a huge mind game in the end, I suppose.)

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
There is only so much you learn from losing. I learn from winning cause that means what I'm doing is working.
Ussi, how much do you learn from stomping a level 9 CPU? Exactly my point. Yes, winning can show you stuff you've done right, but as stealth said, it only guarantees it works against that person. On the other hand, flaws in your play one person can exploit are something that anyone could take advantage of, if they're good enough. Winning is a great sign of progress, but the best way to learn is to do so from better players, and if you're consistently murdering the competition, you probably aren't learning much from them. I mean, every new matchup I encounter usually involves my getting 2-stocked (or 3-stocked if they're really good), but over time the losses get closer, until I actually start winning, which usually means I have an (at least partial) understanding of said matchup.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
And that's why you play with people that can exploit your mistakes so you learn what isn't effective in a matchup.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I was playing casuals every week during the semester (its over now) and I honestly did get better despite stomping on everyone and playing FFAs half the time too.

While i wasn't learning the game, i was practicing techniques (ie jab canceling shenanigans that i wouldn't really do in a real match) and now I can actually do said stuff in a real match.

I couldn't really practice against CPUs because well CPUs lack a basically understanding of predicting that even some casuals can do.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Sadly, don't get much real training these days.

Usual group is casual. We tend to do free-for-alls. I tend to be targeted.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
well, from a guy who plays casuals a lot, your best bet is to not make winning a priority, but instead look up techniques to practice and try it on them. Slowly by surely you'll get comfortable using set techniques that you'll be able to use it no matter who it is (albeit don't be predictable though which is a problem if you don't have higher level experience, you just won't know what is predictable until you play someone that level)

Roller

Smash Legend
I was playing casuals every week during the semester (its over now) and I honestly did get better despite stomping on everyone and playing FFAs half the time too.

While i wasn't learning the game, i was practicing techniques (ie jab canceling shenanigans that i wouldn't really do in a real match) and now I can actually do said stuff in a real match.

I couldn't really practice against CPUs because well CPUs lack a basically understanding of predicting that even some casuals can do.
I bet I got more betterer this semester than you!

I challenge you to a

WHO IS THE BETTEREST MATCH when I get back to NJ after finals.

May the most betterer player win.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'm in a learning and losing mood.

Anyone up for a few wifi rounds?

PZ

Smash Lord
No...thats what happens when u hit the tip of something such as a platform it cancels your whole knockback look(spinning wahoo!) and you can do moves out of it...seen alot on TAS videos.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It's like when you get spiked and like AD into the stage but still keep flying across the stage while you can do moves.

Same with Snake's duelist thing as when you AD before you hit the ceiling you still fly up into it for some time but you're able to throw grenades and stuff.

Top Bottom