• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical or digital copy?

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
I don't think there is a thread about this but if there is its probably outdated but I think the title explains the question.
For me I'm getting the digital copy because I'm getting it on the release date and I'm positive that it would probably be out of stock by the time I get there also I'm getting a bunch of eshop cards for my bday which is the 17 of August so I'm gonna save the points till the 3rd of October.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If the Gamestop nearest my school has a midnight release, or if I have a Japanese test on that day, I will be getting a physical copy. If there's nothing major going on and Gamestop doesn't have a midnight release, probably digital. It'll just depend on convenience. Only reason I'm even concerned about the physical copy is due to the stocking issues they had with Fire Emblem, which isn't as popular by a very wide margin.

Last edited:

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
I don't think there is a thread about this but if there is its probably outdated but I think the title explains the question.
For me I'm getting the digital copy because I'm getting it on the release date and I'm positive that it would probably be out of stock by the time I get there also I'm getting a bunch of eshop cards for my bday which is the 17 of August so I'm gonna save the points till the 3rd of October.
How dare you have the same birthday as me! Just joking :roll:

I'm hopefully getting a preorder for my birthday. I'd rather get a physical copy, if only because I don't want to figure out how to redownload it if something happens to my 3DS. Though with the amount of times I've lost my copy of Animal Crossing, maybe it would be a better idea to get a digital copy...

Raijinken

Smash Master

I'm hopefully getting a preorder for my birthday. I'd rather get a physical copy, if only because I don't want to figure out how to redownload it if something happens to my 3DS. Though with the amount of times I've lost my copy of Animal Crossing, maybe it would be a better idea to get a digital copy...
The obvious solution is to get both! If you can afford it, of course. Though if it's for your birthday, just get a preorder of physical, and money for a digital, from separate people!

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Already preordered from Amazon - they got GTA V to me early morning on the day of its release so I trust them, plus I just like having the box and it's probably slightly cheaper.

Booster

Smash Lord
Physical, so I can **** it in the disc hole.

Nah I'm just kidding, Physical because this is Smash, not Call of Duty xP

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647

Lol that's a 3rd person that has the same bday as me the other 2 are my brothers.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I prefer physical copies of everything. While I do own digital copies of a few games, I think I'll get a digital copy of Smash Bros. for 3DS.

I assume the insane amount of playtime warrants not having a cartridge jammed in my beloved gold Zelda 3DS XL the entire time. Maybe it's a paranoia thing with me wanting to keep the system and game in best condition, not damaging the spring or have my game pop out like a champagne cork and/or melting. At any rate, a physical copy of Smash Bros. is always available if I want it.

:psycho:

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
Also my brothers get mad at smash alot when I beat them and when they get mad at a game they usually pop out the cartridge which freezes the game so digital copy is better for me

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm going to get the physical copy due to personal preference plus the fact that it can be played in other 3DS consoles as well.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Physical copy. I pre-ordered the 3DS version through Best Buy to get the gold Smash coin thing. Nintendo almost never does Smash merchandise so I hopped on that.

I've considered getting the digital copy on 3DS too just so I have it with me no matter what the situation... But my wallet though.

Physical always ideally trumps digital for me. I love seeing my collections, and Smash is ****ing Smash so like, I just WANT it. I'm going to get the Sm4sh Wii U + controller/adaptor bundle because that's exactly what I wanted them to release.

:093:

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
The obvious solution is to get both! If you can afford it, of course. Though if it's for your birthday, just get a preorder of physical, and money for a digital, from separate people!
...That's actually not a bad idea... A little redundant, but not a bad idea... I need eshop money anyway.
Lol that's a 3rd person that has the same bday as me the other 2 are my brothers.
You have my eternal sympathy.

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
...That's actually not a bad idea... A little redundant, but not a bad idea... I need eshop money anyway.

You have my eternal sympathy.
yeah well its not so bad being a triplet sucks i have to share a birthday party though lol

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I gots to have a physical copy. I only have a small amount of room on my 3DS for extra digital things, and Fire Emblem Awakening takes up most of that. Fire Emblem is my main game and ain't going anywhere, so Physical it's gotta be.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Tomodachi Life takes a lot of SD card space, so physical.

EDIT: You can't preorder digitally where I am :p

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I do like digital games but I got a physical copy. There is just something about going to get the game on day 1, and when they give it to you = freak out!!

linszoid

Smash Cadet
I'll probably get digital on 3ds and physical on Wii U. I like having a physical games library but I want to take smash on the go w/o having to swap games.

Any idea how much memory smash will take on the 3ds? I have 1.5 gigs free but I'm afraid it won't be enough. Brawl was 6ish gigs but very few digital games on the 3ds are over 1.5.

Oh well, a 32 gig sd card is only 20 bucks.

EnIgma24

Smash Cadet
Physical because it really means something for me to see the 4 super smash bros. games together on my bookshelf :p

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
Physical all the way.
I like collecting games, and I don't see a reason to pick digital over physical.

DoubleDeeEddBoy

Smash Cadet
NNID
DoubleDeeEddBoy
3DS FC
0834-0608-8884
For the 3DS version, digital. Just because I know they'll go up at midnight and I'll be able to play right when I wake up.

Symba

Smash Rookie
I'd rather just get the digital.. That way I can keep Pokemon Y and Super Smash Brothers on me at all times. Don't have to worry about losing a game if it's in my 3DS. I might buy a physical but it's very unlike. I've lost my Pokemon Y like 4 times and it's just so small it's annoying to find.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I would love the physical copy because collecting, but with the digital one I'll always be ready to play it. I can't accidentally leave the game at home if it's on my SD card. I'll always be ready for challengers! Also, I'll have it just a few minutes after midnight!

Plus I'll be getting the physical Wii U copy. Win-win! :awesome:

EDIT: There aren't any preorder incentives in the States yet anyway. If those show up and are awesome then I'll reconsider my decision.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Physical for the win.
Digital copies of games take up so much data on the 3DS, and I only have a 2gb SD Card.
The only games I bought digitally were StarFox 64 3D (which I ended up deleting to make room), and Triple Deluxe.

Plus, I just like having the physical copies of games. I like seeing all my games lined up together on a shelf.

Plus, in 20 years or so, I could make a bit of money buy selling the freaking box! Just the box and manual!

CrossbowPig

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrossbowPig
3DS FC
2621-2883-4274
Physical copies for both me and my brother. Our poor standard 3DS SD cards can't hold this game. 'Tis a shame, 'tis a shame.

The only other 3DS game that I've gotten a digital version of over a physical version was New Super Mario Bros. 2, and I ended up deleting it for space.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Considering I have a decently sized sd card I would love to go digital so I can have smash on me at all times.

The problem is though I wan to play this as soon as possible even if you ignore the possibility of a midnight release there's still the fact that Nintendo's servers go to **** every time something big is released. I remember waiting hours upon hours for pokebank as well as my free game with mk8.

So as much as I'd like to buy the digital version I think I'm probably gonna stick with physical this time around.

Last edited:

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
Im getting a bunch of eshop cards for my bday so i will use those for smash bros and on the 3rd of october i wont even care if its a school night im going to be smashing it up all night

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
For reference, this is the original thread for this topic. But it had dropped to the second page, so I guess there's no harm in restarting the discussion.

OP, if you're ever unsure, you can just use that handy search bar up in the top right corner. There's almost always a thread on popular topics like this already made.

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
I'm thinking the digital copy will be much more convenient. I'll actually be getting a larger sd card so I can have more games on my XL. I'm staying up until midnight to download it just like I did Pokémon X. Physical copies are easy to misplace/forget when you play multiple games imo.

Symba

Smash Rookie
Now that I think about it ... Why can't you just download the game to your 3DS if you get the physical copy? You should be able to do that. o-o

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
Now that I think about it ... Why can't you just download the game to your 3DS if you get the physical copy? You should be able to do that. o-o
no you can't i thought the same thing but no

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I'm going physical, I don't want to risk dropping my 3DS and losing Smash Bros.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
no you can't i thought the same thing but no
You'd have to clear the game card honestly. If you download the game onto your 3DS with the physical copy you got, then you just resell the cartridge or give it to someone else to download/play you now have 2 copies and piracy rampant on your console.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I generally prefer physical copies of games. Doesn't use up as much space.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Whatever gets it in my hands the soonest.

I think my plan will be to contact a couple outlets to see if they're doing a midnight release. If I can't get a solid plan out of that I'll always have the eshop to go home to. I'm just worried about download traffic keeping it held up.

Top Bottom