• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

? PHO Mr. Prime

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Umm.. Good Sir.

The boys around my area (mainly TA) describe your "resting" as mainly defensive. For example they'll be comboing you, and then you'll rest.. My question is when do you most commonly execute these "defensive rests"... Fox's Uthrow, Falcon's Dthrow, ect.

Good Day Sir.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Hrmmm...I'll have to get back to you on it when I have more time to post. But yeah, I have a lot of rests I slip in when people are attacking.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
First off, most hit with the disjointed part, so no. If they are way too slow and mis-aim it is possible. What I like better is what I managed to do once, avoid the uair and loop around to rest them when they fall on top of you.

Now as for the topic, I am not very good at combos. Most of my matches are just WoP over and over. Because of this, most of my rests are indeed one-hitters, as opposed to what people normally expect. Falcon dthrows can be punished with rests if they misaim or are slow. Some Sheik throws can be punished this way at low %, even Peach dthrow. The problem is that the usefulness of this is inversely proportional to the skill of the player. Darkrain rarely spaces or times his knee wrong out of the dthrow.

Other great times to rest: a ducked, CCed, or sidestepped attack to hop-rest. Those are all fairly defensive in nature. Also I've been doing the tech-rests off platforms for years. You can even do hop-rests to missed l-cancels, especially moves like Marth's dair, though it's almost impossible to react to and you just have to risk it. You can bait out a roll and get them coming out of it. My favorite is when you can tech at and into someone and rest them when you stand up, though this works best with Marth.

Shrug. Just some ideas, but I doubt there's much there to help you. But yeah, I'm terrible at combos. >_< My play is pure WoP mindgames, which is why I'm boring.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
If you DI down and towards Falco's dthrow at low %, you can rest him if he doesn't follow up quickly.

I use the CC rest and the jump out shield to rest gratuitously.

Dash attacks are things you can look to CC rest, especially say, Peach's, Sheik's, Samus', Marth's, etc. A lot of what Sheik can do is CC-restable. I've rested her ftilt, and even her jab from CC. If you have perfect timing, you can even CC rest Peach's dsmash. Jiggly can duck under many grabs as well, like Marth's (his dash grab can even be ducked if it's spaced wrong). This is a rest if you have really good reaction time, otherwise you can go for a grab or a smash. If a Marth Fsmashes your shield from close enough, you can jump out and rest him if you are quick enough. I'm pretty sure the frame advantage is with Jiggly.

I also approve of baiting people into rolling into a rest, especially from the ledge. This is a good teams technique as well, i.e. to wait behind your partner for the opponent's roll.

CHUK

Smash Ace
one technique that is risky to pull off is instead of sidestep when someone forward smashes or does their respecitive smash u short hop jamming rge way away from them and beofre the peak of yer hop jam it back and land inside them and<( (( REST)) ((REST)) )> them....

Top Bottom