• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Personnal "Unusable Character" Requirements

God Kaze

Smash Rookie
Do you have certain peeves when it comes to a character design that make you not want to use that character at all?

I for one find a distaste in using:

1. Up+B’s that do no damage. Sorry, Pit =(. I just don’t like the feel of them in general for some reason.

2. Large characters. Bowser, Donkey, and even larger humanoids such as Snake and Captain Falcon just don’t appeal to me.

3. No projectiles. I like my character to have at least one projectile at his/her disposal.

Well, what say all of you?

iph03n1xi

Smash Rookie
I'm not too fond of using overused characters. I also stray from big characters.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Generally, if I find a character too strange (G&W, R.O.B., Wario), I won't play them. I don't have a problem with other people using them, but they just don't appeal to me. I also dislike most large characters (Bowser, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf), as they're usually slow. The one exception to that is King Dedede, because I find myself drawn to every character with more than 2 jumps.

Most of the characters I DO play are either fairly serious, or else somewhat comical or unexpectedly strong. Like Meta Knight, Link, and Marth; contrasted with Kirby, Ness, and the Ice Climbers.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
isnt recovery the whole point on an up-b?

so why would you really want it to do damage? obviously its a bonus, but its no big deal if it doesnt

God Kaze

Smash Rookie
Generally, if I find a character too strange (G&W, R.O.B., Wario), I won't play them. I don't have a problem with other people using them, but they just don't appeal to me. I also dislike most large characters (Bowser, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf), as they're usually slow. The one exception to that is King Dedede, because I find myself drawn to every character with more than 2 jumps.

Most of the characters I DO play are either fairly serious, or else somewhat comical or unexpectedly strong. Like Meta Knight, Link, and Marth; contrasted with Kirby, Ness, and the Ice Climbers.
Yeah, strange characters live up to their expectations in terms of use, lol. I too have no problem with other people using them, I actually enjoy fighting them as they are full of surprises^^. I really like your character contrast idea.

isnt recovery the whole point on an up-b?

so why would you really want it to do damage? obviously its a bonus, but its no big deal if it doesnt
I know the main point is recovery, but I don't feel like I can enjoy that recovery unless the potentional to deal damage is there (wether I inflict the damage or not). I guess I could be considered a strange Brawler, lol.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I don't like:

1. Exceptionally boring characters:
This means R.O.B. and to an extent, Game and Watch.

2. Terribly slow characters
Ike and D3 are the only exceptions, as they have reach and power to offset it.

3. Characters that I just find lame. This means Ness and Jigglypuff. Never liked them.

4. Snake. I just hate him for being even more broken than a toy from the dollar tree.

5. The Donkey Kong characters. I hate them.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
My character must have a Dair spike. I can't function without one.

The only thing is that if it's a suicidal spike, I tend to stray away from the character altogether. This means Sheik, ZSS, and Sonic.

They also have to be small and floaty. XD

Vhoscythe

Smash Rookie
I tend to only use medium-sized characters. I don't like my char. being too large or too small.

I also don't like slow fall characters. >.>

God Kaze

Smash Rookie
I don't like:

1. Exceptionally boring characters:
This means R.O.B. and to an extent, Game and Watch.

2. Terribly slow characters
Ike and D3 are the only exceptions, as they have reach and power to offset it.

3. Characters that I just find lame. This means Ness and Jigglypuff. Never liked them.

4. Snake. I just hate him for being even more broken than a toy from the dollar tree.

5. The Donkey Kong characters. I hate them.
I like Diddy Kong^^. I actually enjoy using him too, but I can understand hating Donkey Kong. Oh yeah, I hate Snake too.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I really dislike big, slow characters. Dedede is the only heavyweight I've ever mained in Smash Bros., and I've been playing since 64.

And I really can't play as characters that just look...lame.(R.O.B)

mzink*

Smash Ace
Hmm I don't really like characters that rely on projectiles alot simply because I'm not very good at thinking strategicly/creatively with projectiles and setting up good attacks with them like you have to do with snake and Link. I also never use Marth cuz almost everyone I freakin play with in person plays Marth. At the moment psy kids aren't an option for me because I can't seem to master that pk cannon nomatter how long I work with them. Other than that everyones pretty much fair game.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord

DK is pretty quick. He runs very fast and his attacks aren't all that slow. Not that fast either, pretty average.

I don't like using characters with lots of lag after all attacks.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I don't like slow charcters, except for Snake.

I don't like characters who look stupid or act very dumb. I'm looking at you Wario.

I don't like big and heavy characters, excpet for Snake.

I like characters that can SH two Fairs.

Currently my mains are Snake, Marth, and Pikachu. I used to main ROB and Wolf, but I don't use them anymore.

smallmalf

Smash Journeyman
i use characters from which i've played the games and i enjoyed it
ie: fire emblem, mario franchise, sonic franchise

J18

Smash Journeyman
My character must have a Dair spike. I can't function without one.

The only thing is that if it's a suicidal spike, I tend to stray away from the character altogether. This means Sheik, ZSS, and Sonic.

They also have to be small and floaty. XD
sonic has no spikes. trust me. none. and if you're speaking of his Dair, no it does not spike. at all.

Browny

Smash Hater
i just never use characters who are overly reliant on 1/2 moves for KO's. all of my mains have at least 4 KO moves with are all good. examples of ones i dont use are like lucas, wario, rob

---
@ above poster, sonics d-air is a semi spike. also its not suicidal, since you can easily jump off the stage, d-air and spring back up, clearing the ledge by at least 3 sonic hieghts

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
I don't really have a peeve for any of the characters... But I hate Peach, Ice Climbers, and don't like playing as Metaknight. I like playing as the large characters even if they're slow. Basically I'll play anyone except for the 3 I listed above.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
my character must have a sword or a chaingrab ( in this game) or i dun use!!! LOL

j.k to me characters that just click i will use. but if i tried using chars like pokemon trainer or olimar, they seem odd

Adapt

Smash Lord
I have a specific play style, and I like characters who fit it.
I enjoy following people out off the stage to gimp them, so a good recovery is a must. Also they have to be reasonably maneuverable in the air. Also, at least one air move has to be a prominent kill move.

so: if a character...
- falls too fast
- has slow air movement
- has poor or difficult to implement recovery
- has few approach options
- or just bothers me for whatever reason

Exception being Zelda, I dunno why, but she is one of my better characters

character's I can't seem to use:
Ike, Ness, Lucas, DDD, Snake, ICs, Fox, Kirby, Luigi, Mario, Olimar, Pikachu, Samus, Yoshi, Sonic, and Bowser

Smash Rookie
I don't like characters that are slow, hard to KO with, or have sucky recoveries except for Luigi maybe.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I hate characters whose names start with "Y". These names are also usually followed by "osh", and ends with an "i". Other than that, I can pretty much play them.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I don't like characters that are slow, hard to KO with, or have sucky recoveries except for Luigi maybe.
Luigi has an excellent recovery...

B Down or Side B then B Up=Long distance recovery.

And he certainly isn't slow or hard to KO with.

Commander Blitzkrieg said:
"I don't like overused characters."
And yet you main Snake.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
I like characters whose attacks SOUND like they hurt. For example, sword characters and Pikachu's electricity apply to this. I'm talking about the SFX, by the way. This is one reason I stopped playing Lucario- the SFX were too "dull" sounding, I guess.

I also dislike DK for having awkward movements.

EDIT: Also, since I started playing Olimar, I get annoyed with characters that have normal grabs. I'll play as Sonic, be a yard away from my opponent, and try to grab them. =P

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I dislike most of the "slow" characters, as well as almost the enitre origonal roster. The exception is Pikachu, but ten years of "Pika" before every attack has begun to get on my nerves a little.

Wyvernkni

Smash Cadet
I can't say for certain. Usually I prefer to distance myself from game characters that look strange, but Smash Bros. has always been an exception. Can't explain why, but I'd never pick a character like Wario for anything, but in Brawl I'd main him if he connected with me.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
To not be Jigglypuff.
And ot not by a dancing Chimpanzee in love with his Banana

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
The only one I have trouble using, that I actually tried to use, is D3. I practiced using him a little bit, but I somehow can't get used to him as quick as I can with other characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
1. Characters that usually make it too tempting for you to spam projectiles/ smash attacks. (Wolf, Olimar, Pikachu.)

2. Characters who are left completely open when their grabs miss. (Yoshi, Link, Zero Suit Samus)

3. Characters that are excessively light. (Jigglypuff, Game and Watch)

4. Characters with limited KO options. (Sonic)

I can use these characters but I prefer not to.

D13

Smash Ace
I can't deal with using characters with crappy recovery. But there are a few exceptions.

Top Bottom