• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I don't know crap about the Aigis or Elizabeth matches. And for whatever reason the night just went downhill from there as the AE matches I had after didn't go well and for the first time ever I got and felt visibly upset playing it, despite surprisingly being relatively calm and enjoying the Persona games. I had some whole long spiel on what went down, the reasons behind it, and how I don't want to keep getting pissed off like this from time to time, but really, I kinda figured it wasn't helpful to anyone or constructive in this case other than admitting I put too much emphasis on winning. :urg:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm actually surprised I'm still functional this time of night running on 1 hour of sleep and probably half a gallon of caffeinated drinks, but what can I say? ggs, hope to be able to get some more games in next time.

Umby

Smash Master
I can offer my *insight* into the matchup if you want.

edit: Aisight, I need to get in a good set against you later so I can get some more recordings up.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, GGs regardless. Though amusingly enough, that Aigis I invited in was someone I didn't even know PLAYED Aigis since the other times I played him he was I think Narukami or Shabrys, lol.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I can get that. Aigis however, despite her flight having a meter, just seems like "Hey, I'm going to fly around with bullets and missiles everywhere and a Persona that has a shield so you can't hit it making it so you can't get in, with nothing to do about it while I do flame-flips on your head when you try" which...admittedly is a bit of a pain and kind of wears down my patience pretty quickly on trying to figure out what to do.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Speaking of Minato, does anybody who plays Narukami have any tips or advice on how to manage the Narukami/Aigis match? My matches against Umby's Aigis were different from the typical "*rage rage* Why doesn't this work when I think it should?!! I have to mash harder to make it work!! *rage*" matches I often have in P4A. This was more of a "I literally have no idea what I'm even supposed to do or where I'm supposed to begin" type thing.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I can offer my *insight* into the matchup if you want.

edit: Aisight, I need to get in a good set against you later so I can get some more recordings up.
Sure, am I supposed to be using Yukiko or Kanji?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My Liz is actually kinda bad. Just stolen tech from my friend. There's a lot of awesome frame traps, combos, and resets that I haven't gotten down yet that he knows. Too lazy to learn Magarudyne loops right now. I like using her though.

But Livewire, like I said before, Narukami has a pretty easy time against Elizabeth. He basically has an answer to anything that she does.
Speaking of Minato, does anybody who plays Narukami have any tips or advice on how to manage the Narukami/Aigis match?
Uh, it's one of the matches I've read and watched a lot, but not one that I have a ton of experience in.
If she's doing 2B, do not jump. Just roll and you'll be able to punish if you're close enough. If you block her DP, be careful if she waits and then cancels into super. If she does and you're not in blockstun, you can IK her if you time it right.

The matchup is in Aigis's favor. You can't play exactly how you would on some characters. Your 2B can be easily baited. Learn to Instant Block if you want to deal with her pressure better. I think she can escape your 5D oki with Orgia backdash so you'll have to get ready for that. If she doesn't have Orgia meter, definitely start going in since that's your best chance.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
2B easily baitable and 5D escapable? But that's 25% of my offense!! ;)

Out of curiousity, do you know how much it's in Aigis' favour? Like we talking a 55/45 or 6/4 thing, or a 7/3 or 8/2 thing?

Umby

Smash Master
Take it with a grain of salt, but I'd say close to 6-4. Even if you do go in when Aigis is in cool down, her zoning capabilities are pretty good, so if you can't pressure her when she's gotten back to around 80% Orgia or so, you're probably about to be on the defensive again. You have to inch your way in, at that point, expecting Vulcan cannons (aerial machine gun), react with evasive action to get past 2B, and take a step or two forward if you see Athena come out. But once you do get in, Aigis has a bit of a tough time, since her best tools for defense are putting them at the edge of her 5B and 2B, which is strictly anti-air. Her DP is bad as a reversal, but if she has meter and Awakening, keep an eye out for her spear super.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Take it with a grain of salt, but I'd say close to 6-4. Even if you do go in when Aigis is in cool down, her zoning capabilities are pretty good, so if you can't pressure her when she's gotten back to around 80% Orgia or so, you're probably about to be on the defensive again. You have to inch your way in, at that point, expecting Vulcan cannons (aerial machine gun), react with evasive action to get past 2B, and take a step or two forward if you see Athena come out. But once you do get in, Aigis has a bit of a tough time, since her best tools for defense are putting them at the edge of her 5B and 2B, which is strictly anti-air. Her DP is bad as a reversal, but if she has meter and Awakening, keep an eye out for her spear super.

So a match I legit have to play patiently methodically, and while constantly thinking and looking for weaknesses/slipups while constantly re-evaluating what's going on? Ah...this'll be interesting.

Holy crap, GENIUS!! :bee:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ggs to those who I played last night. Sorry about having to pop in and out, a number of incidents kept pulling me away.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Wish I joined, but I'm in total study mode for midterms, sorry guys.

Hopefully I'm not too rusty when I get back, but I do play at least one round online + training mode every few days to keep everything together.

Yesterday, I faced a Naoto that liked to DP whenever I got close after 2D. Felt good knowing what they were going to do, lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Jam, you should oki more with 5C (which is safe from stationary DPs like Kanji's and Yukiko's) and threatening movement (like jump toward airdash back, or empty crossup, or roll past). Both put far more pressure on the opponent than just sitting there and seeing if you can punish with 2B or not, and both give you further options if they choose to respect and continue blocking.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
5C is actually pretty decent oki. 5C > sweep is a true blockstring, but 5C > 214A has a gap, so it can be DPed.

Also, since most people that play with you often enough should respect your 2B by now, you can also just poke with 5C at airdash range occasionally. It should outrange or come out faster than just about everything except Mitsuru's coup, Izanagi car, Teddie's bat, and beams. It also has projectile properties so it will cancel out any non-beam projectiles.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd totally be up for that. We should also make it swiss format to make it take even more time.

Top Bottom