• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect shield can knock you down?

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Wow the mighty Falcon Punch can go through anything! Maybe because the knockback is so strong not even the Perfect Shield can help you stand. Or it could very well be the dumb computers DI

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
I have never ever seen that before..
I don't know what to say. Besides.. FALCON FOR HIGH TIER CAUZE HE HACKZ!

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
if u tech a fall and that same frame is used to p shield an attack werid stuff like that happens

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
OMG, that's happened to me.

I play kirby, and it happens quite often, really.
It's only happened with:

PAWNCH!
Ike FSmash
KoJ,
Stone
Marth FSmash
Snake FTilt
D3 Gordo
and DK's Punch.

I think it's just the Strong attacks that do that...

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I've had this happen a number of times but only on the edge, like the Lucas here.

My assumption is that you PS, and slide off and trip on the same frame to the mechanics. You have the "stun" what shouldn't be there because of PS, but apparently it calculates if you hit the floor with that stun as opposed to actually not taking the stun and just sitting there.

Also, this really is NOT a trip, it's a pratfall, due to having stun that you shouldn't, and being in the air going downward from the ever slight knockback.

Vegas FTW

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Do you guys know of hugging/speed hugging?
Good.

Ledges of stages have this funny "end" on them where you're something akin to being both on the ground and in the air at the same time.
You can jump, and that would take up your mid air jump (while still visibly being on the stage)
You can fast fall and "go through" the stage, to grab the ledge.
Or you can do nothing and end up still being on the stage.

This is what happened here, you're pushed towards the ledge, that launches you in the air slightly, and you're falling onto the ground shortly after; allowing for a tech/falling on your back if you do not (tech).

That is all.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Do you guys know of hugging/speed hugging?
Good.

Ledges of stages have this funny "end" on them where you're something akin to being both on the ground and in the air at the same time.
You can jump, and that would take up your mid air jump (while still visibly being on the stage)
You can fast fall and "go through" the stage, to grab the ledge.
Or you can do nothing and end up still being on the stage.

This is what happened here, you're pushed towards the ledge, that launches you in the air slightly, and you're falling onto the ground shortly after; allowing for a tech/falling on your back if you do not (tech).

That is all.
Hmmm, that seems like a valid explanation. I guess that also explains why it happens with stronger attacks with higher shield knock back as well.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Seeing the slow motion is key (the high quality is a real plus ^^).

Lucas power shielded, which was followed by him falling from a tumbling state.
I think it's clear it involved him being pushed off the edge, but then falling on it. That isn't a contradiction when you get to know how the ledges act in this game.

This is a weaker claim than Shaya's. I want to know if this only happens on the left side of the stage, though.

How would one prove that it is caused by the mechanic Shaya says it is? o_O

Excellence

Smash Champion
A number of extremely high knockback attacks can do this. When Lucas power shielded your Falcon punch he slid back just a tad, while in his shield. Usually, when someone does something like this near the ledge, they get ledge cancelled and do whatever the corresponding air attack would be, however due to it being a shield, he simply fell.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Lucas managed to powershield the Falcon Punch, slipped off the stage, and immediately DI'd back on the stage during the falling animation. It wasn't a trip, he did a faceplant, which is only possible during a tumbling animation. CPUs do weird things, lol.

Top Bottom