• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

perfect Cube-controller for Brawl?

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
First off: NO Wiimote, NO Classic gamepad, ONLY Cube pads!

I was the pure crack in Melée earlier. I owned everyone with Shiek..but I haven't played against big players, just 'good' friends, so don't take it too serious that I call myself good. Anyways, since I have my own Wii and played SSBM on it, I've become worse. I can only think of the possibility that I have the wrong controller. The main problems are, that the Z-button isn't always reacting as it should [too hard to push], or I have to press the R-button too deep to shield. At least I think those are the reasons.
My newest controller is this:

The Madrics Cube Shock Classic W Edition. It works pretty well..but I still don't get my old results.

When I played earlier against 3 lvl9 cpu battle royal, I always had at least 50% more stocks left than the cpu when the game was over. Now I barely manage to have even 2 stocks more. I don't think that my reactions did get too slow while I wasn't playing. After all I was still pretty good after a break for a year. Now, after another half a year, it's like waaay to bad.

So the only conclusion I came to is that it's the controllers fault "^^. Or maybe I got weak because I only played SSB on the N64 during the break.

Anyways: which controller would you recommend, and why? I don't need opinions of guys who only tried one controller so far. I need comparisons.

Hope you can help me out a bit.

Maben

Smash Journeyman
The only controller that I have seen to be reliable, and the only one that I still use because it hasn't broken like countless other types is the 1st Party Nintendo Controller. (The same type that comes with the Gamecube system). Wavebirds seem to wear down faster and 3rd party controllers are usually utter crap.

Stick with what works is what I always say :)

Edit: For comparison purposes...

1st Party controllers are the best, they take a long time and usually require misuse to break.
Wavebirds are alright, the control sticks seem to get clumsy over time though
3rd Party controllers break, buttons stick, and overall they suck hard.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I don't think I would ever buy or recommend any non-Nintendo controller. I stick with first party for Nintendo consoles; complete opposite as my brothers who buy the cheapest controller they find.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Order of controller quality:

1st party Gamecube controller
1st party Wavebird
3rd party made by Logitech
3rd party made by Nyko
3rd party made by "Gamestop" brand
3rd party made by Pelican
3rd party by any other company
Chinese knock off of the 1st party Gamecube controller

Can I get an amen?

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god, the Chinese 1st party knockoffs suck.

The white one looks so nice with a Wii, like an authentic Cube controller! But ****. I bought 2 - one of them had a fully broken controller stick, I **** you not, before I finished SSE.

Long story short, I kept the shells, and I'm gonna buy platinums from Nintendo, and shell swap. I also wanna get two nunchucks and swap me some analog pads - old analog becomes c-stick, wii analog becomes analog.

But yeah.

Mechageo

Smash Ace

The white one looks so nice with a Wii, like an authentic Cube controller! But ****. I bought 2 - one of them had a fully broken controller stick, I **** you not, before I finished SSE.

Long story short, I kept the shells, and I'm gonna buy platinums from Nintendo, and shell swap. I also wanna get two nunchucks and swap me some analog pads - old analog becomes c-stick, wii analog becomes analog.

But yeah.
Sweet, you'll have to post the finished pictures.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
brawl requires no tech skill. any controller will do.
You're killing me :(

You guys are talking about first party controller. Is there only 1 Gamecube controller from Nintendo itself? If no, which would you recommend?

Igneous42

Smash Ace
The only controller that I have seen to be reliable, and the only one that I still use because it hasn't broken like countless other types is the 1st Party Nintendo Controller. (The same type that comes with the Gamecube system). Wavebirds seem to wear down faster and 3rd party controllers are usually utter crap.

Stick with what works is what I always say :)

Edit: For comparison purposes...

1st Party controllers are the best, they take a long time and usually require misuse to break.
Wavebirds are alright, the control sticks seem to get clumsy over time though
3rd Party controllers break, buttons stick, and overall they suck hard.
I have to disagree. First party all the way but I've actually had much better luck with my wavebirds than the corded ones. All of the corded controllers I had got worn down in the first 1-2 years I had my Cube. My wavebirds are just now starting to show their age. Though their showing it pretty bad now.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Order of controller quality:

1st party Gamecube controller
1st party Wavebird
3rd party made by Logitech
3rd party made by Nyko
3rd party made by "Gamestop" brand
3rd party made by Pelican
3rd party by any other company
Chinese knock off of the 1st party Gamecube controller

Can I get an amen?
amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
You guys obviously don't know who that is, so it's all good.
You're right, I don't know who it is. But I'll see who he is when we smash online. And if I lose then, I will say it's the controller's fault..:p

But why don't you just help me and tell me who that is? I'm unbeaten in Melée [as said, only played with friends though] and I'd define myself as 'pretty good', but I've never played a pro, neither did I care who is the best when I was watching fights on YouTube, I just wanted a nice fight. So tell me who he is and I might find out something about him that makes me show respect to his words.

But seriously, his answer was the one I was afraid of the most "^^

Mechageo

Smash Ace
This is why I've gone Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

Well, that and my controller configuration makes it so that I only have to lift my fingers to taunt.

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet
Its worth paying the extra money for a good 1st party controller, if for nothing else than that they last much longer.
I actually just purchased 4 brand new black ones for 9.50 each. I wanted to start my experience out fresh, with fresh controllers :). I'm not sure I'm paying any extra money there. When I found that price I almost splurged and bought 12 more, but when you buy more than you need then thats how they getchya. I'm such a sucker.

Nova X81

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4768-7615-3064
Switch FC
SW-1268-6324-2517

But yeah.
Bad News: it might not completely work.

My friend got ripped off on eBay for a white one that was listed as a first-party but turned out to be a rip. Just like yours, broke incredibly fast (and was ****ty while it worked even). So, he decided to swap it for a working internals in the white shell too.

It seems that the rip-off ones are ever so slightly smaller. It's like, 1/16 of an inch, but -JUST- small enough that the internal components of a normal controller wont fit and let the case close.

Really sucks too. Best of luck to you tho, maybe yours is built to a proper scale ^^;;

ConeZone

Smash Ace
the only thing i use is my classic purple game cube controller i first got with my system, hasn't failed me yet in over 4 years.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Bought 2 white GC controllers from ebay (they were priced at 40$ when I bought them), and they died on me in less than 2 month. The first's joystick wore down to n64 status in a matter of weeks while the second's joystick just snapped. I might just have been really unlucky, but you seriously cannot go wrong with 1rst parties. Or, you could go with the wii+nunchuck :D : http://www.wifiwars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Just stick to the official 1, its less stiff and does not get worn out so quick

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
not to be a jerk, but you can not blame your recent "funk" on your controller.

what if tiger woods blamed his clubs when he was in his slump a few years ago?

its something BETWEEN the chair and the controller. Re evaluate some changes you made and take it from there.

edit: do what im doing for controller solution. Buy 3 first party gamecube controllers right now. in my case 2 blacks and the special edition emerald. ONE IS STRICTLY FOR COMPETITION. DO NOT USE IT UNLESS YOU ARE IN A COMPETITION. after that its straight wiimotes/nunchuks/cc in this piece

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
You don't NEED a cube controller, why not just try something new?
I thought I made clear that other controllers are out of discussion, but this offtopic post is just for you: I will never be able to get the same results with other controllers than with the GC controller. The Wiimote is an illness to play [as I've experienced in Super Paper Mario and various other games], and I don't really want to buy classic controllers. Using the Nunchuck might be a way, but I have to try that out. And I doubt that I'll get the same scores with that.

darkhamsterlord

Smash Apprentice
Official Nintendo Corded controller. If you need it to reach, buy a controller extension.

I got a wireless Pelican once.. It lasted about a week, then it just turned to utter crap. A WEEK. All I did was play Majora's Mask with it, and it breaks in a week! I didn't even mash the buttons, or throw it against the wall! WTF

And every other 3rd party controller I've had has broken way too fast. So official Nintendo corded controller. I personally like platinum. It matches the Wii better than Purple and Black and other colors.

Top Bottom