• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect character to learn basics ?

Kilmor

Smash Rookie
Hi there ! I'm new on this forum & on smash bros.
I have some experience in 2d fighting but this is my first smash.
I'd like to know who's the best character to learn basics ? I don't want him to be my main, I only need him to understand how this game is working on every aspects.
I do not search the top tier, but I want to learn how to attack, defend, zoning, smash & KO, floor & aerial game. Not too fast or too slow.

He should be "all average", so i can have solid basics before choosing a main that has something great and something really weak (for exemple, i heard sheik is great at speed and combo but weak at KO).
It's important because someone with solid basics will learn and level up faster than someone who only know half of it.

Sorry if I don't explain well english is not my native language :)
Thank you

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I would suggest dabbling a bit in each of the Original Eight (:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4fox::4kirby::4pikachu:)
They, as the original characters (I'd steer somewhat away from the hiddens since they're kinda more specialized), are more or less the "basis" of Smash Bros. They can cover reflectors (:4mario::4fox:), weak (:4mario::4pikachu::4fox:) and strong (:4samus::4link:) projectiles, charge attacks (:4dk::4samus:), tether grabs/recoveries (:4samus::4link:), multi-jumps (:4kirby:), odd recovery styles (:4yoshi:), spikes (all but Fox), and so on.

Additionally, I'd recommend a few other newer characters, including :4marth:and :4pit:. Marth has very well-rounded properties and teaches spacing and sweetspots very well. Pit is also very well-rounded and is generally good to learn on.

Last edited:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Mario is basically designed for just this. Sure, there are some advanced Mario tactics, but he's pretty easy to use to get down the basics with.

If you're looking for other characters with relatively balanced strengths and weaknesses, then Pit, WFT, and Pacman have a good ratio of speed, strength, and mobility.

I know lots of beginners who like Kirby, but the multiple jumps can make it difficult to learn how to recover with another character.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Mario for sure. Marth is also easy to start using. I think Falco is pretty easy to get the hang of too especially since he is slower than Fox it makes it easier for a newbie to keep up with.

Dabbling with the original 8 is also a decent option, but beware: Yoshi and Pikachu aren't exactly easy to get the hang of.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Why is everyone saying Marth and not Lucina? Isn't she supposed to be user friendly.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Why is everyone saying Marth and not Lucina? Isn't she supposed to be user friendly.
Lucina is easier to use, but Marth is better for teaching, as his sword's sweetspot and sourspot would teach spacing.

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Mario, undeniably.

Every other character isn't too hard to pick up, even for beginners, except for maybe Shulk and Rosalina. No doubt that there are more characters that are hard to understand for beginners, but those two in particular stick out.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Marth isn't quite as intuitive as some of the other suggestions. His side-B in particular has some nuance to it.

I'd just play around with a handful of characters in Training Mode to start off with, then just jump into some matches against easy CPUs.

Mario, undeniably.

Every other character isn't too hard to pick up, even for beginners, except for maybe Shulk and Rosalina. No doubt that there's more characters that are hard to understand for beginners, but those two in particular stick out.
I'd say there are several characters that have a bit of a learning curve due to nuances with some of their moves. I would add Olimar, Robin, Villager (his neutral-B and down-B have some depth), Ness (his recovery takes some practice), and Duck Hunt to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilmor

Smash Rookie
Thank you all for your answers !
I think I'll start with mario then, marth maybe later if u all recommand it too.
Now lets practice !

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
:4pit: and :4mario:

I usually recommend newbies start with Pit, since his recovery is amazing and a lot of new players struggle with returning to the stage. He also has quite a bit of variety in his attacks, with melee attacks, a good projectile, and reflectors. If you're confident in your platforming ability, then Mario is a great choice as well. He's pretty standard and has a lot of different options. He just doesn't get 3 jumps and a recovery move that crosses half the screen like Pit.

If you're interested in :4marth:, I would actually recommend trying :4lucina: first. Marth requires a lot better spacing, which can be difficult to do when you're first learning the game's mechanics. Neither of them are all that difficult (nowhere near as hard as someone like :4shulk: or :rosalina:), so it's up to you, but Lucina was basically designed as an easier-to-use Marth.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
:4pit: and :4mario:

I usually recommend newbies start with Pit, since his recovery is amazing and a lot of new players struggle with returning to the stage. He also has quite a bit of variety in his attacks, with melee attacks, a good projectile, and reflectors. If you're confident in your platforming ability, then Mario is a great choice as well. He's pretty standard and has a lot of different options. He just doesn't get 3 jumps and a recovery move that crosses half the screen like Pit.

If you're interested in :4marth:, I would actually recommend trying :4lucina: first. Marth requires a lot better spacing, which can be difficult to do when you're first learning the game's mechanics. Neither of them are all that difficult (nowhere near as hard as someone like :4shulk: or :rosalina:), so it's up to you, but Lucina was basically designed as an easier-to-use Marth.
But he wants to learn the basics, meaning spacing is included

And who better to teach spacing than the tipper master?

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
I would go for Link. He has range and is pretty good on close combat. I learned the game playing with him.

mistersl56

Smash Cadet
Mario. Definitely Mario no doubt. He has been in every "How to play" video since the beginning of the Smash Bros series.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
But he wants to learn the basics, meaning spacing is included

And who better to teach spacing than the tipper master?
I really wouldn't count spacing at Marth's level amongst the most basic SSB techniques. Maybe I'm underestimating OP's skill, but when I first played Smash, I was a little preoccupied with just being able to the hit the opponent at all. Spacing is definitely important, but moving, jumping, recovering, grabbing, shielding, dodging and learning the variety of attacks is a little more fundamental than hitting at the proper point along a weapon. Spacing is obviously super important at higher levels of play, it just might be a little annoying to be sour-spotting attacks constantly when you're just learning to connect with attacks in the first place.

Like I said, though, Marth is by no means a bad choice. Even if you do flub tippers all over the place he's still usable. I played Marth in Melee for years without even knowing about the tipper mechanic. I just figured Lucina would be a better jumping in point. Once you know the basics, it's really easy to switch between them and "upgrade", so to speak, to the more technical character.

EDIT: Rereading his post, it does sound like he's more experienced with fighting games than I assumed, so I'll agree that Marth is probably the better option. I just recommend Lucina to newbies by default.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I really wouldn't count spacing at Marth's level amongst the most basic SSB techniques. Maybe I'm underestimating OP's skill, but when I first played Smash, I was a little preoccupied with just being able to the hit the opponent at all. Spacing is definitely important, but moving, jumping, recovering, grabbing, shielding, dodging and learning the variety of attacks is a little more fundamental than hitting at the proper point along a weapon. Spacing is obviously super important at higher levels of play, it just might be a little annoying to be sour-spotting attacks constantly when you're just learning to connect with attacks in the first place.

Like I said, though, Marth is by no means a bad choice. Even if you do flub tippers all over the place he's still usable. I played Marth in Melee for years without even knowing about the tipper mechanic. I just figured Lucina would be a better jumping in point. Once you know the basics, it's really easy to switch between them and "upgrade", so to speak, to the more technical character.

EDIT: Rereading his post, it does sound like he's more experienced with fighting games than I assumed, so I'll agree that Marth is probably the better option. I just recommend Lucina to newbies by default.
Yeah, if it was a complete beginner, I'd recommend Lucina, but OP sounded like he actually did want to be good, and learn some basic techniques

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Choose the character who you're most comfy with using.

If you want someone balanced, there's Mario. If you're looking for brute force, there's Bowser or Ganondorf. And if you want someone who's more of a technical fighter, Rosalina would be someone to consider.

Kilmor

Smash Rookie
Yes I played some 2d fighting games (particulary sf3.3 at high level, I made a name for myself in my country) so I think I can understand pretty fast the basics. That's why I start with mario, as Mario_and_Sonic_Guy said he's balanced, and that's exactly what I need to learn all the basics since he's got a lot of options and is not particulary weak in something.
But Evello is right, even if I already know some combos and know how mind game works, I'm still preoccupied by "how to attack efficiently and reach the opponent", sm4sh's system is different to a street figher or king of fighters for example, so I'll need some time to be used to it (I started playing yesterday).
But when I'll be comfortable with it, I'll try Marth for spacing, since it's really something that can make a difference at high level between 2 players.

Aaaaaand then I will choose a main, someone I enjoy to play with (well mario is quite fun to play, but sheik or fox seem so cool :p )

As you can see, thanks to you all, I made my plans so I know what to do. The only thing that I miss is someone with me to show me my mistakes or give some advices, by experience I know that a player can be good after 2 years alone, or 6 months with good players around him :)

But first, training + For Glory ! (I don't think CPU would be a good practice, I can handle a lvl 6-7 and people are stronger on internet..they ruin me xD )
Sorry again for my english !

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, Mario is the failsafe approach for practicing with a balanced moveset. As a Pit main, I can also vouch for his general adaptability.

For reference's sake, try playing Doc and Dark Pit after you've gotten to grips with those two fighters, as I find them to be distinctly more challenging to play than the former, though others will disagree with me at that.

Top Bottom