• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Percentage death threshold

Sasquatch

Smash Rookie
I searched and couldnt find anything and i was curious about everyones thoughts and i wasnt really sure about where i should post this (forgive me, im still quite new)
I was wondering about around which percentage for each character they are considered at the threshold of being KO'd.... The death threshold as i call it
For example, in my opinion, My falco usually can get up to 85% (low end) before im at the point where im concerened about being hit far enough to not be able to recover/straight-up KO'd because i fly off the map.
Of course, this is totally differing depending on which character im up against
For example, against peach, at 80% im struggling to maintain life
And this is also dependent on a) which map b) how aggressive the opponent is c) if its singles or doubles etc etc
But im looking for a general idea, an average if you will and make it as low as you must, im looking for the very least percentage where you feel worried
My opinions on some higher tier characters/characters im familiar with
Fox 105
Falco 85
Falcon 115
Shiek 110
Jiggs 95
Peach 125
Luigi 95

Thoughts? Opinions?
And i shouldve posted this somewhere else, someone tell me, IM SORRY

Upke

Smash Journeyman
It's too variable. Attacks have different knock back powers, different trajectories, are affected by DI differently, stale (albeit not as much as in Brawl), and of course attacks differ depending on the character you're using. Then you also have the weight and fall speed of your opponent(s), and this isn't even to mention gimping. Oh, and stages have different blastzones, and we're all familiar with things like being "battlefielded" and "pineappled".

There are a few numbers you will want to be familiar with, like when you can KO Jiggs with an upsmash on each level or when chain grabs cease to connect and you will want to follow up with an attack instead. Though as a general, absolute concept, it's completely arbitrary and I suggest you don't waste your time on it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
What percent you die at is completely reliant on your skill and your opponent's skill. You can 4stock people with fox and only do 20 damage total if they fall into shine spikes. On the other end of the spectrum, the opponent could be wary to your KO moves and combos and live to 200%+ before your weak moves kill. It also depends entirely on match-up: for example, marth has few reliable kill setups on peach/puff and can't really edgeguard them either, so its no unusual for them to live to 150% each stock in that match-up. Against fox, however, those 2 characters are expected to die before 100%.

There are objective lists for character weights and fall speeds, though, which are the two main factors of survivability

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
While it certainly does vary with a huge range of variables, there's still an "average" death percentage. Would be interesting to calculate that across all matches for each character, but I suspect it would likely just be some function of weight and fall speed.

Sasquatch

Smash Rookie
I understand that it is totally dependent on skill, which character v character etc etc
But im talking about an average...at which point can an average smash send you far enough to not recover....something like that
Dont think of being overly specific
Basically, this is what im looking for; at which percentage do you start to play more carefully/campy with each character
When i watch matches on youtube, its down to the last stock and someone is obviously doing better that stock, i can see the other player start to play more campy, rely heavily on mind games, not take as many risks etc.
For me with falco, at 85-95% im playing extra careful so i dont die when its COMPLETELY possible for me to last till 150

Upke

Smash Journeyman
It's still way too subjective for my taste. Using that Falco example, say you're fighting M2K's Marth or Sheik and it's your last stock. You would be a fool to not play it hella safe right from 0% because he can and will gimp you at any small opportunity given to him.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Average isn't really helping either, because what is "average" in smash?
Average smash using all 3 smashes of all 26 characters at even weights? Weigh in the amount they're actually used? Just use their common kill moves in the matchup and not dumb stuff like Peach fsmash because nobody tries to kill people with that anyways (at least not directly... fsmash > nair is amazing against spacies with bad DI at some percents :D)? And what's with sticking to smashes? Falco dtilt is a legitimate killing move as well. And how do you factor in edge guards? And what is actually that death percent? Does it count as a 75% kill if the other guy literally zero to deaths you, and the final percent just happens to be 75%, or is that a zero percent kill?

Sure of course you can theoretically choose a metric and apply that to all matches ever played and come up with a number. It's just that number doesn't hold any value at all. It's really completely depending on the matchup and the two individual players going at it. (e.g. M2k's Sheik is more about gimps and the average percent a player dies against him is therefore lower than say against KKs Sheik who'll combo the living daylights out of you and then finish with a tippered up smash).
It's good to have a general idea of killing percents though. Just not for "your character", but for "that move of his character against my character at that part of the stage with that staleness". That way you know exactly what to look out for, so you can do accurate risk/reward calculations. E.g. you're at high percent against Fox and his up smash won't kill just yet, than it might be worth going for something that his up smash will beat, because the reward is good enough and the risk is "take some percent, and then having to try and come to the stage against his attempts to snatch the kill with an up air". But if he can kill you with it already, losing a stock might be too much of a risk for you to take.

also: If you're looking for that magical number to start playing "more conservatively" at: It's zero percent; don't do dumb stuff ever ;)

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, the game actually becomes a lot easier to play around >150%.

Small hits/grabs are harder for the opponent to convert, and you can feel good knowing they're gonna be fiending for kill, so you play smart and wreck them for playing not-so-smart =]

Top Bottom