• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 People's Challenger: Chance to Play against Invited Players at E3

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I was one of the early submissions. Good luck to everyone. I think all of us deserve a chance to head to E3, except the ones who are obviously under 18 or disregard the rules.

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
I think it was hilarious how many entries there were with project m footage. The judge panel was probably like "I didn't know sonic could spike!"

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I was surprised how awful a lot of entries were, like, some had NO content to them whatsoever.

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
They've released a video. You can find it on the Smash Bros. Facebook page, but I'll just link it here.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
They've released a video. You can find it on the Smash Bros. Facebook page, but I'll just link it here.
Hahah thank you, but that video doesn't tell us who won the contest. I thought that's what they were alluding to when they said there'd be a special announcement we'd really want to see, but it ended up being something better, that we can use GC controllers for Smash 4.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
For the record, I have met HugS, PewPewU, Milktea, Lilo, MacD, and Toph IRL guys (6 of the 16 competitors), and they are all very nice.

I've also talked with (via the internet) probably 4-6 of the other competitors, and as far as I can tell they are nice to. I do Tweet to and back from D1 once in a while, and he and Prog are both super insanely nice.

I've also meet Scar (one of the 3 commentators), who is amazing as well.

Gonna post this here so everyone knows all I know about all 16 players and the 3 commentators (note: I don't know 3 of the players, but my brother knew one, so I put what he knew).
[collapse="Here is what I said on IGN about each player."]For those who don't know, here is stuff about the players I know from my experience within the competitive community (mostly Melee, so sorry if I'm lacking Brawl knowledge guys):

Ken - The best melee player from 2002-2006, who teamed with Isai to win essentially every singles and doubles tournament for over 4 years. He was the first face of competitive smash, and his rivalry with Azen and PC Chris is that of legend. He invented the famous "Ken Combo" for Marth, and is probably the 2nd or 3rd most historic Melee player ever. He also was on one season of Survivor. But more importantly, he represents an entire generation or two of Melee's competitive history.

Korean DJ - One of the best players for over half a decade in Melee. A top Sheik/Fox/Marth player who dominated with his aggression. He goes all out for the KO and almost always get it. He's beaten many top players, and was the best Fox for a long time. He came in 2nd at the MLG 2006 Series Grand Finals at Las Vegas after an amazing run. Like Ken, he is sponsored by Team Liquid.

HugS - The top Samus player in Melee for over a decade, who has beaten pretty much every top player in tournament. He has been a top 10 player in SoCal, the most talent rich region for Melee for over a decade as well. He is one of the few characters that has been a top player in so many eras of competitive Melee. He's also a very open, extremely nice guy.

Zero - A top Melee and very top Brawl player, who came in 2nd at APEX 2014 in Brawl (the biggest Brawl tournament of the year). He is pretty good at all the smash games, actually, but obviously Brawl is where he made his mark. Also, he might be the biggest Nintendo fan on the planet.

PewPewU - Best Marth on the planet in Melee now, and is considered one of the top 10 players in the world at Melee right now. He's a rising star who is only going to rise higher. For a while he was the top rated player in all of NorCal, the 2nd deepest region in all of the world. He is fun loving and a very exciting player to watch and talk to.

Hungrybox - The best Melee Jigglypuff on the planet and one of the best 4 or 5 players in the world at Melee. He won APEX 2010, and has been a force for years and years and years. He also came in 3rd at EVO 2013 in Melee, the biggest Melee tournament ever (until at least this year's EVO). He also might be the best Jigglypuff ever and the best player on the East Coast currently (along with the next person I'm going to mention). He's also good on commentary.

Dr. Pee Pee - The winner of APEX 2014 (the biggest Melee tournament of the year so far), and the best Falco in the world, or really, ever. He's one of the 3 or 4 player players on the planet, and has been so for quite a while. His technical skill and reads with Falco are the stuff of legend, and he has beaten all the top players in the world today at some point, including sending Mango and Armada to the loser's bracket at EVO 2013.

Milktea: A top teams player and a pillar of the Melee community. She has been around for a good long while, and is quite the underrated player, and is extremely smart.

Lilo: An underrated underrated fun loving, nice, and good player in SoCal, the most stacked region for Melee since forever.

aMSa - The best Melee Yoshi player in the world who made a character that looked like one of the worst look like one of the best. He might be the most exciting player to watch ever. His combos with Yoshi look like he's playing another freaking game. He's also the only Japanese competitor in the field, and probably the best Melee player from Japan, and the most well known since at least Captain Jack.

DJ Nintendo - One of the best Mario/Marth/tons of low tier character players ever. He's awesome in every way imaginable. Literally he pulls out Bowser, a notoriously weak character, at tournaments, just to prove he can. He is so hype to watch, I cannot explain. He's also a fantastic guy and super duper nice. He also is insane on commentary, has great quotes like "DEE EYEEE" (DI; look it up), and "YOLO'ing Through the Game."

MacD - Possibly the best US Peach player. One of the best players in SoCal, the most stacked region for Melee. He's also insanely talented at Melee teams play, and is a very nice guy who is good on commentary.

Toph - One of the best Melee players in NorCal, the 2nd most stacked region for Melee. Also one of the best commentators for Melee. A very nice guy and a very important part of the Melee competitive community, especially for the West Coast and in California.

TheRapture - I don't know him, but my brother told me he's one of the best Brawl commentators and apparently a good Brawl player.

Crismas - I don't know them, but according to my pal ~automatic on Smash Boards, they co-hosted the first 2 APEX tournament series (a huge tournament for multiple fighting games with Melee and Brawl as the marquee games, and sans EVO and MLG is the biggest tournament for both games) and runs the Zenith tournament series (also a very large tournament series, mostly involving Brawl). They are a top tournament organizer (TO) on the East Coast for Smash.

(I don't know Peachy sorry)

Announcers:

Prog - THE VOICE OF SMASH!!! HE'S THE BEST AT EVERYTHING!!! HIS PASSION IS ADDICTIVE!!! POSSIBLY THE BEST VIDEO GAME COMMENTATOR IN THE BUSINESS!!!

Scar - He killed Mufasa. One of the best Captain Falcon players ever and a great guy. HE'S ALSO SELLS MOMENTS SO WELL AND LOVES THE GAME!!! As a side "awww" note, he got married earlier this year, so congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Scar.

D1 - THE LEGEND! HE'S SO AWESOME AND HAS THE SWAG!!! HE'S GOT ALL THE HYPE!!!![/collapse]

Last edited:

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
^ Cool to hear, hopefully one of us meets some/all of them then haha

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
I realize how much better people are at video editing than me.. I hope vid quality isnt a factor.. :-/

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
All videos were judged by three factors - each one having an equal amount of total points (probably a range from 1-100). All points are added up for each video and whoever has the highest total points wins. The three criteria are spirit, creativity and quality.

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
Well another day has passed. We can think of a few possibilities why a winner has not been announced through their social media channels or any evidence of a winner on instagram.

1. They have been majorly focused on getting today's awesome trailer out the door - they have not had time or resources to review all 550 videos and decide on a winner. They wanted to focus on the invitational and the rules for it before they announced the People's Challenger. The tournament itself definitely takes priority.
2. All the smashers that were invited to the invitational kept VERY tight lips and I never saw a single leak. Nintendo could have already contacted the winner, but mentioned to him/her that revealing online that you are a winner (before they announce it) will nullify your chance of winning. That would probably keep your mouth shut, even if you are a member of the forums, and adding an element of surprise for, well, all of us.
3. They have tried to contact the winner, but winner hasn't responded, leaving them to choose again a few days late.
4. They totally forgot about the contest. They have no idea that hundreds of people signed up for instagram and made awesome videos for them. Its just a giant hoax. #trollface

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
Well another day has passed. We can think of a few possibilities why a winner has not been announced through their social media channels or any evidence of a winner on instagram.

1. They have been majorly focused on getting today's awesome trailer out the door - they have not had time or resources to review all 550 videos and decide on a winner. They wanted to focus on the invitational and the rules for it before they announced the People's Challenger. The tournament itself definitely takes priority.
2. All the smashers that were invited to the invitational kept VERY tight lips and I never saw a single leak. Nintendo could have already contacted the winner, but mentioned to him/her that revealing online that you are a winner (before they announce it) will nullify your chance of winning. That would probably keep your mouth shut, even if you are a member of the forums, and adding an element of surprise for, well, all of us.
3. They have tried to contact the winner, but winner hasn't responded, leaving them to choose again a few days late.
4. They totally forgot about the contest. They have no idea that hundreds of people signed up for instagram and made awesome videos for them. Its just a giant hoax. #trollface
There was a leak with the invitational that was mostly accurate, but you're right, for the most part, everyone kept a tight lip. I think number 2 is most likely. We'll just have to wait and see. But this is a painful wait. Even if I don't win, I wouldn't mind just learning who the winner is already so I can give this a rest and stop refreshing everything hahaha

sassafrass

Smash Cadet

I really want it to be number 1... However my gut is telling me it's number 2. I know I had a very long shot, but I'm still feeling blue about not getting picked :-(

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
but.. i had all tha meta skillz in my submission.. and didnt use the overused body is ready joke.. :(

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
.........On the plus side, it's taken so long to announce the winner that I have been distracted with other things and the wait isn't quite killing me anymore. I feel they will probably announce the winner on Monday, cause that's when they'll probably really go back to working, on a weekday.

quotidianmusic

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Thanks for the congratulations! I'll do my best to not get rekt! Everybody's videos were truly amazing and I'm undeserving haha.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Hey guys! Thanks for the congratulations! I'll do my best to not get rekt! Everybody's videos were truly amazing and I'm undeserving haha.
I saw your video when you posted it to Reddit and I definitely think you deserved to win it, and judging by the reactions of those who watched it a lot of other people thought so too.

Top Bottom