• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People targeting one player 3v1 in Free For All modes

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Has anybody else noticed this trend? When I'm looking for a more laid-back type of game mode than For Glory, I'll usually go to For Fun and lately I've come across a really disgusting trend. Three players in a group will target the new entry player 3v1 and it's just downright mean. On a recent occasion, one of the players purposefully SDed after another accidentally hit them... just so that I couldn't get the kill.

Anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Changed the thread title for better clarity. I forgot that For Glory even had free-for-alls to begin with.

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
They're insecure players whose life purpose is to ruin a great game with unsportsmanlike conduct. Just report them and leave the room. They're really not worth you're time honestly. For Glory is the best :)

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I've had that happen to me before when I played for fun, though I don't believe that it is the majority of the community that does that. I've had that happen to me only twice in for fun, and I have played at least 200 matches of that game mode.

What I'm trying to get at is that it isn't fair to classify the entire player base of For Fun mode as griefers just because you got put up against a few groups of jerks, nor is it true to say that it's a problem that isn't seen in For Glory.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I've had that happen to me before when I played for fun, though I don't believe that it is the majority of the community that does that. I've had that happen to me only twice in for fun, and I have played at least 200 matches of that game mode.

What I'm trying to get at is that it isn't fair to classify the entire player base of For Fun mode as griefers just because you got put up against a few groups of jerks, nor is it true to say that it's a problem that isn't seen in For Glory.
You can relax. I never said that the entirety of For Fun players do that. I'm not comparing For Fun players to For Glory players. I just have no experience of people 3v1ing in For Glory because I only ever play 1v1 in For Glory.

Last edited:

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
How do they even organize a 3v1 in For Fun when you can really only have 2 friends hook up on it at once?

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure this is against the rules...just report them.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
You can relax. I never said that the entirety of For Fun players do that. I'm not comparing For Fun players to For Glory players. I just have no experience of people 3v1ing in For Glory because I only ever play 1v1 in For Glory.
Sorry about that. I mostly was just trying to say my thoughts on the matter, and I guess I got a little carried away.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I find it aggravating,when there's one other good player and the last two are mediocre and purposely stand around doing nothing waiting for the other good player to KO them.
I haven't seen anything that stupid such that they SD'd to deprive you of a win though...

Ghostnapper

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cobaltshine
I only have it happen once, then after that we all went to a sudden death just by standing still and taunting.
It's against conduct for such things, but how can it even be pulled off. Only way I can think of is having many online friends to jump on around the same time and just become troll-ish assholes :/

1FC0

Smash Lord
Why is this mean? It is just a game. Also the rules are very uncompetive so win or lose has no meaning anyway. FFA's are only good for goofing off.

Besides that I like going 3vs1, whether I am part of the team or solo player. If 3 people team up against me I am just going to run and enjoy the game of tag.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Why is this mean? It is just a game. Also the rules are very uncompetive so win or lose has no meaning anyway. FFA's are only good for goofing off.

Besides that I like going 3vs1, whether I am part of the team or solo player. If 3 people team up against me I am just going to run and enjoy the game of tag.
It's unwelcoming. Imagine if it were done to a young child or a person who's completely new to the game. That person would be completely discouraged from ever playing online again after a couple rounds of that.

Last edited:

BowserBomb4Life

Smash Rookie
Me and a group on ForFun were having a derpy party when an annoying little Mac started to try to kill us. You can expect what happened next :3

1FC0

Smash Lord
It's unwelcoming. Imagine if it were done to a young child or a person who's completely new to the game. That person would be completely discouraged from ever playing online again after a couple rounds of that.
If they do not like online FFA then they should not play it. Or go 1v1 or Team Battle.

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
If they do not like online FFA then they should not play it. Or go 1v1 or Team Battle.
Except in this particular situation, it isn't a FFA. It's a 1v3.

You understand this, right? I get your point, but you sound like you're arguing for the sake of argument now.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Except in this particular situation, it isn't a FFA. It's a 1v3.

You understand this, right? I get your point, but you sound like you're arguing for the sake of argument now.
Nope, it is still FFA. Going 1v3 is not against the rules of FFA.

The problem with FFA is that the rules do not allow for good competition. And the problem with you guys is that you think that the rules do. Those players teaming up against you are just following the rules so they are not cheating. The rules are cheating.

For a game to have good competition you need good rules. You can not just say "too much is allowed, but try to be reasonable", which basically is what FFA does. In those rules being more "unreasonable" would actually give you an advantage so this would more be like a competition of being "unreasonable".

Just accept that getting robbed of a meaningless win means nothing and so it is not mean to do so to someone.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Nope, it is still FFA. Going 1v3 is not against the rules of FFA.

The problem with FFA is that the rules do not allow for good competition. And the problem with you guys is that you think that the rules do. Those players teaming up against you are just following the rules so they are not cheating. The rules are cheating.

For a game to have good competition you need good rules. You can not just say "too much is allowed, but try to be reasonable", which basically is what FFA does. In those rules being more "unreasonable" would actually give you an advantage so this would more be like a competition of being "unreasonable".

Just accept that getting robbed of a meaningless win means nothing and so it is not mean to do so to someone.
This argument completely falls apart just based on the fact that it can be reported and it can be punished by Nintendo. It turns out that you actually can just say, "anything goes but try to be reasonable."

It doesn't matter if the true essence of "Free For All" means you can form alliances with whoever you want or do whatever you like in a vacuum. The bottom line is that this behavior is still frowned upon and can earn you a timeout from online play. It's also obviously not a free for all if you're only fighting one person with two "teammates", no matter how much you want to believe it is just because it "can" be done.

It has nothing to do with being robbed of wins or being given losses. It's about making one random person's time miserable because you and two other people joined a mode that is designed to have everyone fighting each other while deliberately targeting one person excessively. That's called griefing.

Are you the type that calls someone at 3 in the morning just because they said, "Call me anytime"? I assume not. You can't take everything literal in life, and you most certainly can't be oblivious to when enough is enough. Well, you can be, but it'd make you a fool.

EDIT: My wording is deliberate, but just to be clear, I'm not attempting to attack you as a person. I'm just trying to illustrate a point.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
So basically your argument is that you should treat people well, and griefing is not fun for them. But personally I like playing 1vs3 no matter what side I am on so if I am griefing then I am just treating people how I want to be treated. In SSBB I loved running from 3 guys who tried to kill me. Especially in Hyrule Temple this was really fun to me.

I think that if you get angry or annoyed at 1vs3 that you need to lighten up and remember it is just a game.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
This has been happening to me. Sometimes i play for for fun to test out my weaker characters. I either go into lobbies where it is 1v3 or people don't fight at all.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
@ Carrill Carrill As mentioned earlier, this is something that's been around since the days of Basic Brawl. Here's the general dynamic of what you can expect in FFA modes.

1.) Relatively "normal" room, everyone fights everyone, generally what most players probably expect when joining.

2.) Taunt parties, no one is fighting anyone, everyone is goofing around, usually attacking anyone openly will get you 3v1'd unless it was obviously an accident or not done seriously; joining a taunt party and fighting "seriously" is known as party crashing.

3.) "Tense" taunt parties where no one is fighting anyone but are also being wary and keeping thier distance from each other. Even accidentally hitting someone could lead to someone chasing you around or even a 3v1 scenario.

4.) You join in while someone is already being 2v1'd. This could either turn into a 2v2, 1v1v2, or a 3v1 based on what you and the player being singled out decide to do.

5.) You join into the room, and 1 or more of the other players single you out for little to no reason.

So when you keep this in mind, your options for playing change up a bit, some players enjoy being party crashers and encountering 3v1 scenarios as a way to test their skills. Other players like to just find place where they can goof around, then there are the players just looking for the typical 1v1v1v1 experience. It helps to keep in mind that when you do join FFA online, you're kinda rolling the dice, make sure you're prepared for anything.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I love beating the **** out of taunt parties with sonic and then leaving. Lol they get so mad.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Ah....how i have had to deal with that in brawl. Soooo glad its over. Carrill just stick to team battles like i do and that problem wont happen.

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
I know what you mean. I've also experienced something similar in spectator mode where you will have a ton of gold on the line and the team will purposely lose and SD multiple times after winning just so that you lose all you rmoney

link2702

Smash Champion
remember there is the new report function just for these people in smash4. It was made specifically to stop these type of players from doing this. At the results screen report each player. Eventually they'll all get banned for quite awhile for triple teaming.

NightStormFox

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1813-8527
If you're doing a for fun game mode then it's not something you should take seriously. If you lose don't sweat it. Once the items are on and it's set to kills in time and not kills in stock the level of skill needed is minimal. Losing, being 'griefed' has nothing to do against you as a player in terms of skill when it comes to this scenario, and if it displeases you then you can just leave the group and find another.

If it were me I'd probably accept the challenge and try to kill them off quickly or while they try to suicide land a hit from where they can't recover.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's fun when it's absolute noobs try to team up against you and fail. More fun in KIU cuz OHKO weapons turns FFA into Dynasty Warriors. :bee:

But when they actually know how to ruin a game that's when I report them. I mean, it's justified when you have one player leagues ahead, but when it becomes physically impossible for the lone player to win I draw the line.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Quoting directly from page 18 of the online manual in the help section, emphasis mine:

About Online Restrictions
Idling, quitting during a battle, continually self-destructing, or attacking one person excessively may result in your being restricted from playing online battles for a while.
These rules were made in direct response to the griefers in Basic Brawl, which Nintendo could not control since online play was outsourced. Thankfully those days are over. Whenever you encounter this childish behavior, report them. Report them, and then leave, or beat them and then report them. Whichever suits your mood, report them. If their mommies or babysitters didn't read the rules for them, too bad. Report them.

Good riddance taunt party teamers. Your days of griefing a Smash Bros. game ended last May and will not be tolerated here. Period.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
Ok, this is a serious issue. 3 times in a row it ended up me VS 3 other, it is unfair and shouldn't be allowed. Reporting them might get me banned, the hell do I do other than avoid this mode?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Quoting directly from page 18 of the online manual in the help section, emphasis mine:

These rules were made in direct response to the griefers in Basic Brawl, which Nintendo could not control since online play was outsourced. Thankfully those days are over. Whenever you encounter this childish behavior, report them. Report them, and then leave, or beat them and then report them. Whichever suits your mood, report them. If their mommies or babysitters didn't read the rules for them, too bad. Report them.

Good riddance taunt party teamers. Your days of griefing a Smash Bros. game ended last May and will not be tolerated here. Period.
FFA is serious business.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Um this should be expected in 'Free For all' Online really. (if you ever played Brawl online) xD

Ive never bothered with For Glory Free For All.

But on 'For Fun' it happens everytime and almost immediately. Its pretty fun to be part of the new taunt parties when im super bored, and i also love crashing them letting them come at me. lol Just when you find one match that is that, just leave really. No biggie.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Ok, this is a serious issue. 3 times in a row it ended up me VS 3 other, it is unfair and shouldn't be allowed. Reporting them might get me banned, the hell do I do other than avoid this mode?
As long as your report is legit, you will not be banned, so don't let that scare you. Only baseless reporting for no reason could get you banned, so report all of the ones that do it every time. Reported taunt teamers end up getting stuck playing each other in their own purgatory. They truly deserve each other. :-)

Now I just wish Nintendo would add a feature to allow us to report them in Spectator Mode....

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
It must be, given you post in every single FFA thread, arguing 'til you're blue in the face about why it's ok to make a random person's life miserable.
I was being sarcastic and when did I had an argument untill I was blue in my face here?

And if FFA makes you miserable then you are probably doing something very wrong.

Last edited:

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
I've never noticed it......yet. (Though I an one of the unlucky souls during Brawl's time...) Most FFAs I play were mostly laggy, which is one reason why I stick to 1 on 1.

I absolutely love Free for Alls, but I haven't had much of a smooth(er) / tolerable experience in those online modes yet. Even then, I've encountered no trolling players.....yet.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Happened to me once, and i kicked their a- ...behinds.
Really surprised me, since i was Mewtwo, and it's so easy to die with this character when fighting against more than just one opponent.

(I'll admitd it was more luck than skill)

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
Nope, but I sure would try that if that came up.
Then comes input lag... ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH? :grin:

EDIT: Oh ****, necro post... again. I wish the date was in BIG BOLD LETTERS... :(
EDIT2: Oh you're kidding me, wrong thread entirely! :grin:
Mods, pls delete then lock thread...

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Reporting them isn't good enough, I would prefer instant results instead of ban land
I WOULD PREFER TO DOOM THEM TO THE SUFFERING OF A TERRIBLE FATE SUCH AS THEM STEPPING ON A LEGO OR THEM PUTTING CEREAL IN THEIR BOWL ONLY TO REALISE THAT THEY RAN OUT OF MILK

Top Bottom