• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"People don't get jokes"

Sukai

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=2000]"People don't get jokes"[/drupal]

I think I discovered a new pet peeve.

I actually have a lot of them, but they're so rarely tapped into that you'll find me as a pretty chill guy. This one, not so much.

I find it the most infuriating thing when someone says an insult, then write it off as a joke, then complain that people didn't get it, as if it had some sort of punchline to begin with.

One, they aren't funny.
That's the key essential trait of a joke, humor.
Saying **** like, "I hate you" or "Go to hell" is really, really unfunny and sooner hints that this person doesn't like you, rather than they're just palling around.
Now if you know this person like that, then it's okay, because since you know him/her, you know that he/she isn't serious about it. But when you don't know this person, there is really no way to know whether or not it's a joke, and since jokes normally have humor in them, you're gonna think they dislike you, or are really emotional.

Think about it, if I said to you, "I hate you", would you think I was kidding?

Two, why joke about that?
Most of the time, it's something along those lines of hating someone, or just a regular insult, made to sound serious, but why do that, then expect this person (who doesn't know you) to think it's a joke? It's one thing not to care about it, but to think it's just an oh so humorour joke? I can speak for anyone, but for me that's just a really bad way to break the ice. Instead of being someone who tells unfunny jokes, you come off as an emotional butthurt who makes strong judgements about people over the smallest details. It creates misconceptions about who you really are, which may not matter, with the immature internet and all, but it sort of builds a bad rep for you. Not to say that you should care deeply what someone you never met and probably never will meet think of you, but at the least, don't make them think that, especially with lame, unfunny jokes.

**** all over the place.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Stop being so insecure.
If someone says they hate you, why care? Well, unless you like them.

Even so, just learn to be less serious, I mean really, this rant is a bit... meh.

Also, I hate you.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
LOL@ "Saying **** like, 'I hate you' or 'Go to hell' is really, really unfunny and sooner hints that this person doesn't like you"

Ya think?

I agree with Teran.

Why So Serious?

Relaaaaaaaax

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I get what you're sayin, knux. And I agree. I really hate it when you're around some friends and they say that they dont like Jim, but when Jim comes around they just joke that they dont like him and pussyfoot around. I hate that.

The above 2 posters have no friends.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I get what you're sayin, knux. And I agree. I really hate it when you're around some friends and they say that they dont like Jim, but when Jim comes around they just joke that they dont like him and pussyfoot around. I hate that.

That's a specific scenario Tom.

Also agreed, except you forgot to mention I have no life either.

Also, I only talk to Tom because he has a nice cat.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I stopped reading when I looked into your postbit and saw "Detroit".

... :3

To be serious, though. Well. If someone posts "go to hell" or sth in a discussion, I will simply ignore their postings from that point on. If they post that in a jokingly/relaxed situation, then I don't take it seriously. If they're being f***nuts, then I don't take anything they say seriously, anyway.

Grow a thicker skin and don't blow up like a rocket - you'll make them enjoy themselves even more.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

It's funny you'd say that, because the two pictures I posted could be classified as "posters." The Joker definitely doesn't any friends, and the kitten you never know.

I'm not trying to be funny or stupid.

Seriously, just relax. Joke about them back.

Tom, maybe you should tell Jim about it and if you're friends with Jim then you maybe shouldn't be friends with the other *******s.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I am very relaxed, just because it pisses me off, doesn't mean I just go off in a rage.
I try to brush it off, but that's the thing about pet peeves, it doesn't let you.
In fact unless I'm really passionate about it, you wouldn't know it gets to me unless I tell you.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
In fact unless I'm really passionate about it, you wouldn't know it gets to me unless I tell you.
You should always tell people. Stop them from doing it before they make a habit of it, nahmean?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I used to, but then they go in troll mode and do it more, because now they know it gets to me.
Well after that, don't feed them.
Trust me, trolls LOVE being fed, they get like earth shattering orgasms from it.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
You should always tell people. Stop them from doing it before they make a habit of it, nahmean?
Just like you stopped from posting Nazistuff on my wall when I asked you to stop because it made me feel uncomfortable back then, RITE? :D

I used to, but then they go in troll mode and do it more, because now they know it gets to me.
Just don't let it get you. Laugh at them. They only want you to feel bad. If you ignore them, pity them for being so low to have to insult you in order to face you, laugh at them and their suckiness.
Or, let them troll you and grow a thicker skin from it. That's what Teran made me do.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Just like you stopped from posting Nazistuff on my wall when I asked you to stop because it made me feel uncomfortable back then, RITE? :D
Yeah, then I did it on MSN. Also it's true about thicker skin, it's very important. SIEG HEIL.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I completely agree.

Two of my best friends can be like that at times, and I seriously don't get it. It's disrespectful and ignorant to treat people like that, especially if they're your good friends. The dumb thing is, when you do it back to them, they sometimes get worried and ask if you're being serious -_-

:059:

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
My 2 cents:

If someone insists on saying things like that to you after you repeatedly tell them to stop, then they aren't worth your time. Don't associate yourself with people who can't give you some basic respect.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Well after that, don't feed them.
Trust me, trolls LOVE being fed, they get like earth shattering orgasms from it.
I never thought about exaggerating an orgasms up to that point.
Quite creative! :laugh:

My 2 cents:

If someone insists on saying things like that to you after you repeatedly tell them to stop, then they aren't worth your time. Don't associate yourself with people who can't give you some basic respect.
This^. You should simply do as Hyper_Ridley says... I normally don't associate people of that kind. Basic respect is in fact basic, as he said. If he can't respect you, no need to even talk to him.

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, just as I am reading this thread, people are telling me "I hate you" in the MYM Chat.

I guess I don't mind it for a little bit, but when it gets out of hand and that's all they're "joking around" about... It's really annoying. I usually just "joke around" with them back and tell them "What now?" >_>

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
well, either I laugh it off or do it back and them and kid around like a 2-yr old, or do a alternative option of ur choice lol xD

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
knux its not that we are annoying you. its just that you have and answer and will retaliate to ANY/EVERYTHING that someone says. you do have funny jokes be you act so serious that no one can tell. One minute you all emo and then the next second you want to say a joke. if you want to be funny you have to start funny and end funny. Not act emo as hell then act funny. you are a very emotional person knux rather you know it or not. Even steve will tell you that.

if you dont like omniswell then dont talk in MI chat. i met the guy and he is real cool. this comes back to me telling you that you take everything to serious. Its like you read the dictionary like people in church read the bible. if he says i hate you and 4 people post saying jokes and then he makes a joke and uses "lol". HES PLAYING it dont get any easier then that. Jesus knux sometimes you make it hard for me to understand you. when i take a step forward, you do something to push me 9 ft back

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
SCAR scar scar scar.

I hope you name search and read this post you jerkass.

Sometimes I will say stuff like "I hate you" when I fall for a joke or prank, or get completely demolished by Cactuar in melee.....

To me it inflection is really important. Like with the cactus example, I always have a smile on my face when I say it and I don't mean it and I don't talk like that behind peoples back. When I want to be serious I will usually say "I hate when...." "I hate when this person does...." but I generally stay away from the "I hate you" stuff.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I've only ever understood logic-based humor. Saying "go to Hell" as a joke isn't better than a "derp joke", come to think of it.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
If someone says GTFO at the right time... the right way... you're going to chuckle...

You have to admit that...

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I can see it working for strangers. They talk about something because they're both into it, and then, at one point in the conversation about something else, one says to the other, "Oh, I don't like that show," and the second says, "Oh my god! I hate your guts!" They say this in a way that can be taken as a joke. There are certain ways and times to say things.

But looking at the concept generally, I understand. Some people say things that just aren't really funny. It's even worse when they make a reference to something you'd obviously not understand.

Sukai

Smash Champion
knux its not that we are annoying you. its just that you have and answer and will retaliate to ANY/EVERYTHING that someone says. you do have funny jokes be you act so serious that no one can tell. One minute you all emo and then the next second you want to say a joke. if you want to be funny you have to start funny and end funny. Not act emo as hell then act funny. you are a very emotional person knux rather you know it or not. Even steve will tell you that.

if you dont like omniswell then dont talk in MI chat. i met the guy and he is real cool. this comes back to me telling you that you take everything to serious. Its like you read the dictionary like people in church read the bible. if he says i hate you and 4 people post saying jokes and then he makes a joke and uses "lol". HES PLAYING it dont get any easier then that. Jesus knux sometimes you make it hard for me to understand you. when i take a step forward, you do something to push me 9 ft back
I don't think you understood me.
I know I'm an emotional person, thats why--my entire point being--if you don't know me like that or we aren't well acquainted, those jokes aren't funny in the slightest.
I take things to seriously?
Well how can I not when you say **** like, "If I had a gun right now, you'd be dead"?

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
lol i said sometimes i feel like shooting someone. Dont talk to me anymore . if you know im over steve, dont come. if you took me seriously then why are you still around me. dude i dont have time for this. we can just stay away from each other. dont call me ,text me, and quote me. im tired of trying to deal with you now. you are an emo and an ******* chris dont talk to me. im done going out of my way to do stuff for people. you live your life. ill let steve deal with being your friend. I knew i should have never took you to that smashfest quote me on that to *****

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
If you guys don't want to get infracted, I suggest taking this conversation onto aim or have it in PM's or something.

No need to air your dirty laundry here.

Top Bottom