• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People complain about the three clones...

Inurian

Smash Rookie
I guess if clone characters make a roster terrible, then Falco's a horrible character and melee sucked more than anything else, huh? :Kappa:

No, but seriously, I think people are totally WAY overblowing this roster. I love it and I think it's great, and I'm betting the clones are going to show themselves as different enough in play style soon

Booster

Smash Lord
Six. There are six clones. Not three. Either way clones suck. They're uninspired, devoid of any thought...

PirateHaxx

Smash Cadet
its just that. i would prefer wolf/ice climbers/lucas instead of the 3 clones.

copy/paste, thus would take same effort to put in those 3 instead

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ryu... Ken... Dan! Kyo... Iori! Secret Ultimate Hidden Smash Move Jutsu: Clone of a Thousand Suns!

Booster

Smash Lord
Pit: SHADOW CLONE JUTSU *Summons Dark Pit*

Dark Pit: Hello. I. Am. Dark. Pit. I. Am. A. Clone. Made. Of. What. Use. To. Be. Imag.Ination.

Pit: WOW Shadow Clone is right, you look dark and look like me!

Inurian

Smash Rookie
Well, they built every returning character from the ground up, so... it'd actually take a lot more effort. On top of that, clone characters most likely don't take any slots, due to how easy they were to add. More likely than not, they were going to be costumes like lucina was, then they decided they wanted a few differences and just added a slot for them. I doubt they're actually keeping any other characters from being in. If they weren't there, most likely there would be no one else in their place. They're just nice extras, and I'm grateful for them over nothing.

Inurian

Smash Rookie
Six. There are six clones. Not three. Either way clones suck. They're uninspired, devoid of any thought...
I wasn't really counting Falco, Ganondorf, or... Luigi? Is luigi the last one?

Edit: Toon Link, I'm dumb. Totally forgot about him. Those three seem more like Luigifications now anyway, rather than clones, which is why I didn't count them

Last edited:

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
There is 3 true clones out of like 50 characters which is nothing to write home about. I have a feeling I'll prefer those 3 to the originals anyway, especially Dr. Mario.

Morbi

Scavenger
The clones were intended to be low-effort costumes; the difference is that slightly more time was relegated to making them their own characters. The difference is negligible and for the most part they are "bonus" characters. Apparently, it was five or six clones in Melee or Dedede. The same applies here. Basically, people are arguing that all of the clones should be omitted for one additional unique character. I highly disagree as clones do offer a variation on a move-set. They are not "wasted" slots unless you let them be.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I agree and think that some people are getting a little bit too upset about this whole thing. Yeah, there are about 6 clones, but in a roster of 49 characters, that really isn't a big deal. There are so many other characters that we have at our disposal and not everyone is going to make it in, so I think we should be happy with what we got, I love the roster.

Booster

Smash Lord
I wasn't really counting Falco, Ganondorf, or... Luigi? Is luigi the last one?

Edit: Toon Link, I'm dumb. Totally forgot about him. Those three seem more like Luigifications now anyway, rather than clones, which is why I didn't count them
Luigi has enough to differentiate himself from Mario. He has that awesome rocket move, a unique Final Smash (Whereas Doctor Mario is a texture swap of Mario Finale) and can still do that spin. Green fire is also more badass

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
People are forgetting there are 45 other unique characters and even if we cut the 6 clones we would only get one unique character in return.

Last edited:

Inurian

Smash Rookie
People are forgetting there are 45 other unique characters and even we cut the 6 clones we would only get one unique character in return.
Exactly, IF that. We probably would have gotten nothing, TBH

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
...pretty simple minded and immature of you. But okay?
I said I didn't believe him, so I went off to look and lo, and behold, Dr. Mario is the better Mario in my opinion - I like his style more than regular Mario. The Dr.'s Super Jump Punch is the middle of Mario and Luigi. One single hit that's fast compared to fast, multi-hits and a strong, punishable hit. Also, I was right, Dr. Mario does OD people with his Final Smash! If only Lucas was in the game! :laugh:

I really want Dr. Luigi now! His Neutral Special could be a zap referencing defibrillators, Side Special could stay the same with different properties like a multi-hit drill rocket, Down Special would be a tornado, but one that acts a reflector of sorts, and Up Smash could be the faster version of the Super Jump that does mult-hits sort of like Falco's Fire Bird. Final Smash? Simple, a modified Negative Zone where Dr. Luigi drugs everyone! Or a modified Poltergeist the freezes everyone to "save them and perform further inspections"! :joyful:

Who's with me?! Say it with me now! Dr. Luigi! Dr. Luigi! Dr. Luigi!!!

Last edited:

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
This.

And guess and what? I still like the roster overall, but I'm not going to be a sycophant and pretend its not something I don't take issue with. I can deal with it though since everything else is great.

It would be more tolerate able if all the clones were like Wolf and Dr Mario at least.

Last edited:

Inurian

Smash Rookie
This.

And guess and what? I still like the roster overall, but I'm not going to be a sycophant and pretend its not something I take issue with. I can deal with it though since everything else is great.
Well, I'm not being a sycophant or pretending, because I'm frankly quite happy with the clones we have... other than G-dorf. Still wish he actually had his own moveset, but other than him ((Who I'll probably play anyway because he was a melee main)) I'm quite excited for these clones.

Booster

Smash Lord
This.

And guess and what? I still like the roster overall, but I'm not going to be a sycophant and pretend its not something I take issue with. I can deal with it though since everything else is great.
Thank you, call me Booster

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
I am greatly pleased with what the game offers. There's no reason for me to complain about clones.

In fact, Dr. Mario had a deep impact on Melee's competitive community, so I am more than happy to see him back!

Davybot

Smash Rookie
NNID
davybot
I honestly love that the Doc is back. Apparently he plays just like in Melee so he is different then Mario which I'm happy with.
Although it does disappoint me that he got no Dr. Luig alt, it's a greatly missed opportunity.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
There is 3 true clones out of like 50 characters which is nothing to write home about. I have a feeling I'll prefer those 3 to the originals anyway, especially Dr. Mario.
Want to know the funny part? Those 3 clones are arguably less clones than Toon Link and Ganondorf. While Lucina doesn't get any unique moves, she's significantly faster than Marth and had what looks like lessened landing lag. Dr. Mario gets the Tornado again along with his different priority and strength. And was changed to play a bit more like Brawl Pit's. So, some of his B's are actually different and he has different properties on some of his attacks. Also, he's slower and harder hitting.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I personally love this roster because of Robin, Shulk, Lucina, Greninja, Palutena, and Greninja :p. Not just saying that cause they are my possible mains on my signature lol.

Inurian

Smash Rookie
I honestly love that the Doc is back. Apparently he plays just like in Melee so he is different then Mario which I'm happy with.
Although it does disappoint me that he got no Dr. Luig alt, it's a greatly missed opportunity.
****, you just made me realize that we missed a Dr Luigi costume. I didn't even think that was a possibility, thanks for the sadness.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I think some people feel as though the roster is brought down in quality by the inclusion of clones. Like they're tainting it or something.
I don't think that's true at all, but I suppose I can understand the feeling. Personally, I'm all for clones if it's not feasible for them to include another unique newcomer. :) Out of curiosity, I would like to hear from Sakurai why certain characters didn't make it back instead, though.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
For those of you saying that the clones "take up a slot", I say it looks like there are plenty of extra slots left not being taken by anyone. Looks like 4 empty slots actually! Would you rather more empty slots or some characters with unique names and voices?

I'm really liking the roster.

Top Bottom