• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach's Wavedash: High Priority in Peach Technique?

TerranMasse

Smash Cadet
Ok guys, here is my question. From watching pro videos of people such as Mikael, Vidjo, etc. etc. I've found that a lot of them don't use wavedashing in regular play. So, is it of high priority to learn Peach's wavedash? On top of that, what's the difference between triangle jumping and wavedashing and are they performed similarly with button pushing?

P.S. - How difficult is it to learn Peach's WD?

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
triangle jump has a slower button pressing tempo and is used to dodge an attack and at the same time, approach them, land and have next to no delay allowing you to counter immediately.

wave dash has a much quicker button pressing tempo and is meant for creating spacing and doesnt really help you dodge anything except uber short ranged attacks. im no peach pro, but to what i know, dash dancing is the way to go.

Bailey

Smash Hero
WDing with Peach isn't neccessary all the time but helps with your Mind Games against characters that almost counter her like Marth and Fox. I use it kinda often like run at them WD back Running A the simple things like that can work a lot try and put it in your game a little

Matsuki222p

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing is useful for mindgames, but its not practical in the frey use at all. It's not that hard to learn, and opens up possibilities, so you should try to incorperate into yout game some how, personally i use it very little except for similar aplications like Bailey mentioned above.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
the difficulty of learning her WD depends if you can wavedash at all. It is a pretty crappy wave dash, but can be useful if you do a perfect wavedash. btw, you said that in the videos they dont wavedash....look closer.

DeathByTurnips

Smash Cadet
ive been constantly practicing WD with peach...its getting better but its still pretty tough to avoid the ground float while doing it...and when u say dash dancing....are you saying the regular dash or WD dancing?

Sudai

Stuff here
Regular dash. You dash back and fourth in the opening frames of the dash and it looks like you're standing in the same spot turning around a lot with dust clouds on either side.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Wavedashing with Peach has it's uses. But it's not good for anything other than mindgames. Rarely will it actually help with positioning.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
Peach is almost all mind games, so WDing is important for high level play.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Yeah, wavedashing helps with mindgames, mainly spacing mind games. It depends alot on you're Peaches style, and for me, half my hits come from outspacing my opponent, so wavedashing to me is extremely useful.

totaKK

Smash Apprentice
its a sudden quick movement with virtualyno LAG, i think they're awesome and flashy, you have to learn WDs if you wanna play competitively, wavelands are nice too for peach, such wavelanded turnip catches.

ive seen vidjo WD, and wife applies it nicely too

TerranMasse

Smash Cadet
Hey thanks for the input everyone, very much appreciated. I myself have the same problem with the wave dash as DeathbyTurnips in that I go into the float quite a bit. And I'll pay closer attention to the vids next time and look for that WD.

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
Uses for Peaches Wavedash

Alright, I have read through this and found that I must put in my two cents as a player who's main is peach. Her Wavedash only has one practical use for me:

Quick Edgehogging.

I have not found her wavedash to be particulairly useful for mind games as i just leaves me open to attacks. I will admit, i am not a great wavedasher, and only wavedash with peach as a taunt after scoring a kill, or to edgehog.

However! I like to groundfloat, then quickly floatcancel to edgehog more than I like to wavedash into one. Wavedashing into an edgehog can end up getting you killed if you do it incorrectly.

For those of you who do not know what edgehogging is; Edgehogging is grabbing the edge of a level to neglect your opponent from doing the same.
It is most effective if you hit the shield button just as your opponent is about to grab the edge. What happens here is, you still count as grabbing the edge, but cannot be harmed by recovery moves. (example, marth's Up-B)

Mind Games
Peaches Wavedash is useful for mindgames, as it can help mislead your opponent into thinking you are attempting something that you actually are not. Best example of this is running straight at your opponent then breaking into a backward wavedash.

Anyway, I have ranted to the point of no longer talking about Wavedashing with Peach. I hope you find this informative anyway! Enjoy!

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
It seems to me that whenever one of these "do you have to wavedash with character x" threads comes up, it sounds as though you* want to be able to play competitively but don't want to invest the time to learn how to wavedash. But you have to be realistic about your character's movement and the potential of other players. Obviously it's not as essential as it is with other characters, but at the highest level of play, a Peach who cannot wavedash perfectly at will just isn't going to cut it.

* That's the general "you," by the way, in case there's short fuses in the Peach forum.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Being able to WD out of shield is something every character will find indispensable. Several attacks, when shielded, leave them with enough disadvantage where you can WD over and punish. A lot of times it's the *only* way to punish.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Case in point: my friend and smash buddy Brian has a very good Peach, with solid mindgames, top notch recovery, float tricks, great use of the roll and spot-dodge to pwn my ***, excellent mixups, good edgeguarding and good turnips. He doesn't wavedash with her, because he doesn't see the point, and he's not very good at it. Peach vs. Peach I can't beat him at all, even when wavedashing (but my Peach sucks).

At tournaments, he generally goes about 2-2, losing to pretty good players, and as I watched his play, I noticed several spots where he could have WD'd out of shield into a grab, or just barely dodged an attack with a WD, but instead he chose to roll, and gave the opponent the advantage. He's good with the roll and can usually stay safe and pull a hit out of it, but sometimes he gets punished with a combo, and generally loses the match by half a stock or less.

Point is, WD can win you games you would not have won otherwise. You don't have to use it alot, just make sure you know what you're doing.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing is, without question, helpful to Peach.

However, I would argue that good l-cancelling, edgeguarding, float-cancelling, Directional Influence, Chain-Grabbing, c-stick use, spacing and many other techiques are FAR more helpful.

If you have only a limited time to practice and want to get good, learn to use other techniques. They will serve you better than wavedashing.

Just don't forget about WDing. It would be wise to know when a good wavedash could have saved you. Then once you have a grasp of all the other skills required, you can move on to wavedashing and finaly place that all-important cherry ontop your perfected cake of destruction.

And yes, Randall..

I should WD. I should also use the c-stick, but I havn't worked that in yet. :(
I'll get to it, don't 'cha worry. ^^ I just feel like Wavedashing is a difficult thing to get perfect and the gains from perfection are less than other techniques.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
hmm only uses I see with Peach's wavedash is WD out of shield and WD to edgehog. Come to think of it, are there Peach players that use instafloat aerial out of shield instead of WD out of shield? Framewise it sounds possible for it to be a good substitude for WDing out of shield.

WDing with Peach is not essential IMO, but Edreeses brought an excellent point here, style is a huge factor.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
As for learning to WD with Peach, it's not too hard, that is, relative to other characters. If you're just learning to wave dash, you'll be messing up quite often if you use someone with a big difference in jumping speed, for example, Fox, or on the other side of the spectrum, Bowser. Or, at least I did... I think X__x

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
hmm only uses I see with Peach's wavedash is WD out of shield and WD to edgehog. Come to think of it, are there Peach players that use instafloat aerial out of shield instead of WD out of shield? Framewise it sounds possible for it to be a good substitude for WDing out of shield.
I instafloat aerial out of shield a lot. Not really to substitute for wd, but mostly to attack my opponent out of the lag from his missed attack and immediately float cancel.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I would say that pretty much what everyone else says is about right, wd for mindgames

but if your having problems wding, then you need to learn why she wavedashes, watch her do it in slo mo in training, and remeber peach is a little slower than other characters that wd all the time, so when you do her wd, you do it a little slower. It takes some practice but eventually you'll stop floating and start wding.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Yes, wavedashing with Peach is extremely important. You should do it every chance you get during a match. Even if that means not attacking.

Top Bottom