• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Whiffing Issues and Inconsistenties

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Some of Peach's moves tend to whiff at certain ranges. I'm currently aware of the following whiffing issues.

Fsmash Close Range Blindspot

Posted by @RyokoYaksa a while ago, Peach's Racket and Club tends to whiff at close range vs standing, thin characters.

Characters vs whom Racket and Club tend to whiff:
:4mario:* :4peach: :rosalina: :4zelda: :4tlink: :4palutena: :4robinm: :4wiifit: :4drmario:

Characters vs whom only Club tends to whiff:
:4pit: :4darkpit: :4falco:* :4villager: :4shulk:* :4sonic:*:

* Whiffs very rarely.

How to avoid the problem:
- Avoid using Racket/Club at close range against characters it will whiff. The blind spot isn't that big, so you can still safely use it at a middle or long distance.
- Pan never whiffs. Choose Pan if you want to make sure you don't whiff.

Shorthop Nair whiff

Nair's vertical hitbox seems to have decreased somewhat. Against shorter characters, shorthop Nair will whiff. This is pretty drastic since it makes shorthop Nair out of shield, one of the best OoS options she has, unreliable.

Characters vs whom shorthop Nair whiffs:

:4gaw: :4kirby: :4metaknight: :4pikachu: :4greninja: :4olimar::4jigglypuff:

How to avoid the problem:
- Use a floating Nair. A ground floated Nair will never whiff and it hits better in general. It is harder to execute out of shield though.
- Do Nair as fast as possible after you jump. If you do it too late, it can also whiff against other somewhat short characters like Diddy Kong.

Dash Attack second hit whiff

I think all of us have experienced this one more than a few times. Sometimes the opponents pop out after the first hit of dash attack and the second hit will whiff. Generally, dash attack will whiff much more often vs landing aerial opponents than vs grounded opponents.

How to avoid this problem:
- Vs grounded opponents, try to hit with her hands or the sparkles instead of her arms. If you hit with her arms, they tend to fall out more often.
- Vs landing opponents, try to avoid hitting with the first hit completely so they only get hit with the more rewarding, second hit.
- Since you know that this especially seems to happen vs landing opponents, be prepared for dash attack to whiff. Peach recuperates fairly quickly, so prepare yourself to shield or do a fast attack like jab, Ftilt or grab in case it might whiff.

Turnip Throw Whiff

Turnip throw will nearly always miss if you're standing right next to your opponent, which makes OoS Turnip much less effective.

How to avoid this problem:
- Avoid using this move out of shield. Instead, use floated aerials (especially Nair) or Peach Bomber.
- Simply don't throw it when you're standing very close to the opponent. It kind of sucks but this move just isn't optimal at very close range.
- If you still want to throw it, perhaps a jumping Dthrow might be a better idea since it doesn't whiff and you can do a lot of nasty tricks out of it.

Are there any whiffing issues I have not mentioned yet?

Last edited:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
The turnip throw is most annoying. I try float nair oos to down b throw. Or I just jump away because ef it, I have a turnip anyway lol. It's difficult. Whiffing turnip is the worst.

Dash atk is less of a pain for me. I just jab them if they fall out. Because after jab they just end up close enough to be pressured anyway. Sometimes I opt for dtilt instead of jab if I just wanna be greedy/gimmicky and potentially score a combo.

Excellent info on this thread about how to space dash atk, though. This is really helpful.

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
OoS options in this game are so inconsistent on 3ds
because with the circle pad it's difficult to immediately transition into gf nair without dair-ing or short hopping.

I can punish very reliably with melee with OoS nair because of that glorious gamecube controller... sigh. can't wait until wii U.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Glad you made this thread - the amount of 'dead' hitboxes as I'm calling them in this game is crazy...

Turnip Throw will nearly always miss if you're standing right next to your opponent...which makes OoS Turnip much less effective :(
But it makes standing behind your teammate and spamming turnips an incredible teams strategy ;)

Has anyone tried doing a glide tossed turnip OOS? (i know glide tossing is weak, but that's exactly the point - it believe it will move you away just enough so the turnip connects)

Last edited:
Top Bottom