• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Shield Drop Shenanigans

NightFox54

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I’ve been looking into different options for Peach and shield dropping. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far.

http://gfycat.com/GrossDecimalFlycatcher

First, Peach has the turnip to work with. If she has a turnip in hand, but wants to shield drop aerial, she can either 1) float out of shield drop into aerial (tricky), or z-drop the turnip almost immediately. From what I can gather, it leaves her hand on frame 1 or 2. So, you can pull combos like shown above. Shield drop Z drops are a thing now.

http://gfycat.com/ForkedNeglectedCaiman

Second, Peach can shield drop insta-float Float cancelled nair onto the same platform that she just “dropped” from. The timing is super strict- It’s either 1 or 2 frames after you leave shield, you have to begin float. But this is just a monster OoS option for Peach, especially as you can float cancel it. You can have active hitboxes out before nair OoS’s jumpsquat ends. The problem is, it’s such hard tech.

This is just the starting point of what Peach could do out of shield drops, I think. If anyone can think of anything else, that would be super.

KoyalKitKat

Smash Cadet
Does it matter which direction you are facing with the turnip drop?
I'm thinking it does matter because when Peach Jumps, she has her arms sprung behind her, it would make sense that the turnip would drop a little behind her

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
Does it matter which direction you are facing with the turnip drop?
If done perfectly it will drop on the side she is facing, but if done a frame or two late it will end up behind her

EDIT (8/21/2015) turns out what I said above refers to two different variations of the Qdrop, the 7frame falls behind but the 10-12 frame falls in front, so in general it depends on the exact inputs. Check this guide for more in depth documentation on Qdrops

Last edited:

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
pretty much what @ KoyalKitKat KoyalKitKat said, she pulls her arm back. the longer the gap between "jump" and "z-drop" the farther behind her it releases. she drops the turnip from wherever her 'hand' is in space whenever you hit z, as long her state allows it.

what im describing is from a standing jump, not what you did in the first gfy. is that just shield drop > z drop? either way its something similar. you can see the turnip starts in front of her while in shield, and then transitions to slightly behind her in the falling / floating animation. so to answer @ Quetzalcoatl Quetzalcoatl yes, but its a very small difference between falling down her center vs slightly behind. the size of the turnip hitbox makes up for that margin of error

to get another sense of it try Q-dropping: input "jump" and then "z+jump" quickly while holding a turnip. if you DJL and it falls in front of her, you did it as early as the game will allow it (very small window). Usually you'll still DJL but it will fall slightly behind her (ie farther along in the animation). (btw, z has to come 1 frame before the 2nd jump or the game will only read one of the inputs)

EDIT (8/21/2015) turns out what I said above refers to two different variations of the Qdrop, the 7frame falls behind but the 10-12 frame falls in front, so in general it depends on the exact inputs. Check this guide for more in depth documentation on Qdrops

Last edited:

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Shield Drop-uair is great too. If the DI is anything less than perfect you get a super free follow up.

What I do often is shield drop-float "between" the platform, so I can weave in or out of range to pressure/punish with nair. But I still get hit out of it sometimes... Is it bad ?

Top Bottom