• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pay...to Play!? WTF!?

B J

Smash Cadet
well its not for brawl, it doesn't have a red logo over the wifi mark

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Don't judge it before until you know more about it.

This could be just for games with voice chat or something like Animal Crossing. It's not just paying to play any online games.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I just hope it doesnt effect other games...I didn't mind paying to play PSO on the GCN..though however.

Chexr

Smash Ace
**** that Im not paying $50 to pay for games just to play them. Who do they think they are?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This might be a good thing, if it means ditching friend codes and wii numbers and getting better online service then I will gladly pay as long as the price is decent.

This should be in the Light House though.

bceagles

Smash Cadet
And so Nintendo's transformation into a microsoft monster begins, hopefully this won't mean mario kart, animal crossing, etc., because ik it wont be for smash bros.......i hope

ZeldaSheik

Smash Cadet
This might be a good thing, if it means ditching friend codes and wii numbers and getting better online service then I will gladly pay as long as the price is decent.

This should be in the Light House though.
what if they keep all the old services but we have to pay! I hope this is false.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I see Nintendo finally relize that they need more Wifi cash to update they games and system. Well I hope is not as much as Xbox or so, I don't like to pay two games worth for a year. I'm guessing they are going to have that first logo on Mario Kart for the Wii I guess, well 12 players, it makes since right?

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
I think, or at least hope, that Nintendo would not be so silly as to retroactively make us pay for the games we've been getting free.

As in "Oh, sorry that game was free to play online, UP UNTIL NOW! Mwa hahaha!" [/end evil Nintendo mode]

This should only be attributed to newer titles and WiiWare games, which would open up more possiblities. Say, an MMO on the Wii (although Iwata was against that last I heard).

Anyway, even though it seems Brawl missed the boat from DLC, hopefully it will dodge this bullet as well. Mario Kart Wii might be another story however.

Milln

Smash Champion
The article is extremely vague and doesn't say anything about what it would be associated with. Stop overreacting and jumping to conclusions. Doesn't even determine a price. Be calm.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
It's too late to be for smash bros, thankfully. Thus, you'll only have to pay to play non-perfect games. It still sucks many things inappropriate for SWF, though.

Unless they're not talking about specific games, but just downloadable content, which would be acceptable. (As long as it's relatively cheap. I don't want to pay $1 for one character/stage.)

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
OK. I think I can reason why this WON'T affect Brawl.

Read on...

OK, the Japanese are already playing online, free of charge. Honestly if they were paying-to-play, we would have known since week 1.

Imagine the backlash it'd cause if Nintendo suddenly charged them?

Furthermore, imagine the backlash it'd cause if they charged here and not there. They're in the corner with Brawl. Brawl's Wi-Fi will most likely be free.

Most likely because, I don't own a crystal ball. I could be wrong.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
It's too late to be for smash bros, thankfully. Thus, you'll only have to pay to play non-perfect games. It still sucks many things inappropriate for SWF, though.

Unless they're not talking about specific games, but just downloadable content, which would be acceptable. (As long as it's relatively cheap. I don't want to pay $1 for one character/stage.)
1$ for a character isn't much at all...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
People make it sound so bad, what if they improve the service? Look at XBL, their service is great. You get DLC coming out your ears quality match-making and great communication with friends online. $50 a year is nothing, that's $4.50 a month, you can't buy much for $4.50.

EDIT: wow people here can't even fork over $1 for a new character? Talk about cheap.

Gamer_Matt

Smash Cadet
lmao im selling my wii for an xbox360 if you have to pay to play games online...xbox360 has better online why would i pay to play online on the wii when i can pay to play online for the xbox360

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
First off, after a non-impluse consideration, I've decided a buck for a character isn't bad, but I wouldn't pay a buck for a stage.

IN BIGGER NEWS:

DLC!!!

Further upcoming uses for Wii points will be add-on game content and special services, with the cost of maintenance offset by the modest user charges.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17584

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
Nintendo shouldn't charge for online unless they're offering us a SERVICE. I'll be ****ed if I'm going to pay them a fee to just be PLAYING a game. I want a friend finding service and voice chat before I'd be willing to pay them anything for online.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
People are seriously taking this the wrong way. As vague as that article was, you can still somewhat-safely take a few important things from it.

1. It specifically says that this is an expansion of Nintendo's online service. This implies that the current online service will still be intact. I take this as normal online play will be free, and will remain free.

2. They are clearly looking to add more to the Nintendo Wifi service. That is where this comes in. It could be anything, I honestly don't have any ideas what they are planning. Considering Nintendo's privacy policy, I doubt it is dropping the friend code restrictions and adding headsets. My only guess would be allowing you to play other types of multiplayer games online.

And no, not just more players per game since MH: Heroes 2 already supports 32 player multiplayer, I believe.

3. Finally, to support the other two things I said, the last paragraph sums both of those up. First of all, they are adding the new logo. If all games released after a certain point required you to pay, why would they need to change the wifi logo? If that were the case, why wouldn't they just start charging for games released before that time.

Furthermore, because it will only affect specific games, it sounds like Nintendo has plans for something entirely different for some games. Is a Pokemon MMORPG still too far fetched? Not really, but at this point nothing is, thanks to Nintendo's vagueness.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
as long as its somewhere half of what xbox live is which is around 25, i wouldnt mind paying for it if it was a decent system they set up. but i would need to see the quality/review of it. if its just as good then ill pay the 50 for a year.

Zek

Smash Ace
I swear some of you guys are illiterate. All the announcement says is that Nintendo is adding support for games that will be pay to play. That's all. It says nothing about their future titles and most certainly has nothing to do with Brawl. It will be for MMOs or other new services, not all online play.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
i would assume it will come into effect fro some games that will have a lot of online use eg animal Crossing or any games that are MMO like that would require a lot of server maintenance and etc peoples working on that **** need to be paid too and it's better than having to pay monthly fee to just access the internet all together this will only be with some games or thats what it seems anyway.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
. . .This topic has nothing to do with brawl seeing as it's already free. . .so why did you make it?

was concered bout online is all?
Seeing brawl is online...thought i'd share?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
People are so illogical. It's like people are reading the title of the page and making assumptions...

GuMz

Smash Apprentice
so basically they are gonna charge for downloadable content? also I could see why they would charge on MMOS...

Top Bottom