• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch v1.0.4 Changes to Shulk: Info Dump

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Post all of your findings of v1.0.4 Shulk here. Buffs, Nerfs, anything you noticed. Thanks in advance to everyone! I can edit the OP to match a compiled list of the buffs & nerfs assuming Nintendo doesn't put out Patch notes of their own.

:4shulk:
Buffs:
-Most of Shulk's moves gained a +1% increase or more to his base damages
-D-tilt's blind spot at point blank range is fixed, & now can hit directly in front of Shulk
-Fair's landing lag is slightly reduced
-Buster's damage received is now x1.13 down from x1.20 i.e. takes 13% more damage instead of 20%
-Speed's damage modifier is now x0.80 from x0.72 i.e. deals 20% less damage instead of 28%
-F-smash's 1st hit has significantly less or zero knockback, thus the 2nd hit connects more reliably
-U-smash connects more reliably

v1.0.3 » v1.0.4
No sweet or sourspots involved = this color | Blade = this color | Beam = this color | Increased to » = this color

Jab-1: 3% » 3.5%
Jab-2: 3% » 3.5%
Jab-3: 4.3% » 5.3%
Dash Attack: 10% » 11%
F-tilt: 12% or 10% » 13% or 11.5%
U-tilt: 7% or 6% » 8% or 7%
D-tilt: 8% or 6% » 9% or 7%

F-smash's 1st hit: 5% » 5.5%
F-smash's 2nd hit: 12.5% or 11% » 13% or 11.5%

U-smash's 1st hit: 4% » 4.5%
U-smash's 2nd hit: 13% » 13.5%

D-smash's 1st hit: 13% or 10% » 14% or 11%
D-smash's 2nd hit: 11% or 9% » 12% or 10%
D-smash's 3rd hit: 9% or 7% » 10% or 8%
D-smash's 4th hit: 7% or 5% » 8% or 6%
D-smash's 5th hit: 5% or 3% » 6% or 4%

N-air: 6% or 7% » 7% or 8%
F-air: 6.5% or 5% » 7.5% or 6%
B-air: 11% or 7% » 12% or 8%

U-air's 1st hitting Blade: 4% » 5%
U-air's 2nd hit: 9% or 6.5% » 10% or 7.5%

D-air's 1st hit sweetspot: 6% » 7%
D-air's 1st hit sourspot: 4% » 5%
D-air's 2nd hit sweetspot: 10% » 11%
D-air's 2nd hit sourspot:
9% » 10%

Air slash's first hit:
5% or 4% » 6% or 5%
Advancing air slash's first hit: 5% or 4% » 6% or 5%
Mighty air slash's first hit: 8% or 6% » 9% or 7%
F-throw's 1st hit: 2% » 3%
B-throw's 1st hit: 2% » 3%
U-throw's 1st hit: 2% » 3%
D-throw's 1st hit: 2% » 3%

Knockback (KB) Increases (v1.0.3 » v1.0.4)
Dash Attack: 126 »132
D-tilt: 105 » 112
U-tilt: 115 » 122
F-smash: 215 » 223
U-air: 131 » 139
D-air: 117 » 124
D-air's Meteor smash: 94 » 102
F-air: 102 » 110
B-air: 131 » 139
N-air: 95 » 103
Back Slash: 160 » 170
Air Slash: 137 » 138
F-throw: 98 » 99
D-throw: 111 » 112

Nerfs:

Knockback (KB) Decreases (v1.0.3 » v1.0.4)
F-tilt: 136 » 134

Unchanged:
Pummel: 3%
Ledge Attack: 7%
Back Slash Front-Damage: 9%, 10%
Back Slash Back-Damage: 13%, 14%, 16%

Jump's damage dealt is still the same as Vanilla, though their base damages did slightly increase
Shield's damage dealt is still x0.7 = 30% reduced damage
Shield's damage reduction is still x0.67 = 33% reduced damage
Buster's damage dealt is still x1.4 = 40% bonus damage
Smash's damage dealt is still x0.5 = 50% reduced damage
Smash's knockback value remains the same
D-air's 2nd hitting Beam still has a horizontal sour-spot hit-box
Vision, Dash Vision, & Power Vision's parry attack are still unblock-able attacks
MArt Landing Cancel is retained
Shulk still cannot use Specials while a kanji character is displayed behind him e.g. Air Slash, Back Slash, or Vision

Knockback (KB) Unchanged (v1.0.3 » v1.0.4)
B-throw: 104 » 104
U-throw: 83 » 83

Last edited:

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
Autocombo does 12% damage now, instead of 9/10%. A bunch of other moves seem to have gotten damage buffs, too. Neutral air does 1% more.

EDIT: Wait no disregard that last one, I was misinformed

Last edited:

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
I've heard that most of Shulk's A attacks have received at least a 1% damage boost. I don't remember the numbers before but someone should go test it out and confirm if this is true or not.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
By what's been said in the Shulk Metagame Thread by several people, yeah, MArts have been touched. Speed deals a bit more damage now (so does Buster), which means the previous 0.72x multiplier for Speed is probably higher, like 0.85x or something.
thats because the base damages all got increased..............

tenshinoakuma

Smash Rookie
NNID
ninjaoctopii
3DS FC
3781-0389-6662
I can confirm that his jab combo, all his tilts, fair and bair have been increased by 1% (not sure on dair and uair, since I don't know their old damage percentages). I'm not entirely certain on nair, since you can get 8% damage on it post-patch, but only at the very tip. Basically I'm not sure if nair is actually different or the same as it was pre-patch.

I think all his Smash attacks have also been buffed, but maybe someone else can confirm that?

I'm curious to know if his pummels and throws have been changed too.

Last edited:

WobWob

Smash Rookie
Shulk's D-Air now spikes the opponent downwards instead of sending them sideways.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Shulk's D-Air now spikes the opponent downwards instead of sending them sideways.
the 2nd hitting Beam of D-air always Meteor smashes them? Eggcelent!

The odd bit of it was the non meteor of D-air dealt 9% & the Meteor effect dealt 10%. What's the damages like?

Last edited:
Check shield's damage reduction and defense

Check buster art

Check f-air and b-air's landing lag

Last edited:

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Don't know if I'm imagining things but Fair landing lag seems reduced, need someone else to check this.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
This is a bit out the window, but apparently Ike's Jab2 was fixed to consistently connect to his Jab3 more often. So with that said, someone mess with Shulk's Jabs & get back with that to the max.

(I was done with the jab2 > jab3 knock-up whiff on Rosalina & any other lightweights)

Last edited:

WobWob

Smash Rookie
This is a bit out the window, but apparently Ike's Jab2 was fixed to consistently connect to his Jab3 more often. So with that said, someone mess with Shulk's Jabs & get back with that to the max.

(I was done with the jab2 > jab3 knock-up whiff on Rosalina & any other lightweights)
Tested this on a Jigglypuff in training mode, after around 15% the 3rd hit whiffs constantly.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I currently beating up Dork Pit to see differences. Aside from the listed stuff, I'm noticing that the first hit is connecting slightly better for Shulk's smash attacks, even with Buster active. I think the up aerial and down aerial also have a slightly more lenient sweetspot.

WobWob

Smash Rookie
I currently beating up Dork Pit to see differences. Aside from the listed stuff, I'm noticing that the first hit is connecting slightly better for Shulk's smash attacks, even with Buster active. I think the up aerial and down aerial also have a slightly more lenient sweetspot.
This seems to be the case with his D-air, On a Charizard i get the meteor hitbox but on a Jigglypuff the horizontal hitbox hits way more often. It feels a bit more lenient but that might be a placebo effect. I wish there were some patchnotes ><

I also really hope the frontsmash whiffs are gone, its the most frustrating thing to HIT your frontsmash only to have the enemy get bumped out of it and eat a smash in your face during the endlag.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Man this is a pretty comparatively substantial buff, Shulk got a lot of love from this update.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Tested this on a Jigglypuff in training mode, after around 15% the 3rd hit whiffs constantly.
Shulks jab doesn't change with % the KB is fixed. There is no difference for jab 1 & 2 at 999% or 0%.

3rd hit on jiggles lands by a brief pause before executing jab 3 from jab 2. I cannot confirm if this can be reliably DI'd or air dodged out of. However naturally without DI jab 3 only whiffs if you execute it as fast you can. Thing is though its always been that way.

Yeah Monado speed DMG multiplier is around .8 now. 9/12 = .75, 20/25= .8
Guarantee its more then .75 as ftilt does 13 and 75% of that is 9.75. 3 speed ftilts puts them at 31%
So its definitely buffed.

Good for us as it means our rush down is rewarded better. I use speed a lot but the lack of reward meant drawing out a fight to get kill %s.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It still whiffs like hell against Jiggs
That's nothing new. She's so light and floaty she can whiff many attacks others can't. Just stick with tilts like normal unless you are confident enough to land the second hit for the up and forward smash.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Some things I asked for from a helpful person on skype, & told me these numbers:

Vanilla Ledge attack still deals 7%, & Pummel still deals 3%. Double checking is always welcome.

Basically damage buffs. Like, his b-air deals 12% damage if sweetspotted and his f-air deals 6/7% damage

And yeah. MArts cancel still exists

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Buster Nair -> Jab combo does 27% now. Don't remember how much it used to do but that's pretty massive for a regular b&b combo.

Monado Art cancel is still in. Seems kinda impossible to patch out fwiw.

:059:

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also accoding to a video @MASTERLINKX posted, the blind spot with Shulk's down tilt is gone. I even tried it on Wii Fit Trainer as a quick test, and now it hits like normal.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
When you guys are done (ish) or find something BIG (no I don't count 1-2% as big, just nice) then post a list in the community patch notes sticky on the competitive board and TAG ME on that post so we can include Shulk's well-deserved buffs.

Not sure if this was in the older version but you can now combo f-air into jab combo in vanilla. Like it's counted as a 4 hit combo. FF Fair to jab

Also works at ~33% against Bowser with buster. Does that imply anything

Also, does anyone notice any changes with b-air other than damage?

Last edited:

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
When you guys are done (ish) or find something BIG (no I don't count 1-2% as big, just nice) then post a list in the community patch notes sticky on the competitive board and TAG ME on that post so we can include Shulk's well-deserved buffs.
They're changes that occurred in the patch. imo they ought to be listed in a patch change list.

Last edited:
Oh and here are some *big* changes so far
- Smashes connect more reliably
- D-tilt doesn't whiff up close
- Fair has less landing lag (?) ~ Needs more testing

I'm not sure if air slash's auto snapping has improved. idk

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
They're changes that occurred in the patch. imo they ought to be listed in a patch change list.
I'm saying don't tell me to add to the OP until everything is figured out unless there is a huge change. Everything will be in. The current list on the OP of this thread is now part of the patch notes. After some formatting to make it look pretty.

Can anyone try out combo'ing f-air into jab? It's working for me.

Actually, just check if f-air or b-air's landing lag was reduced

Air slash's first hit was increased by 1%. Same goes for Advancing air slash

Can anyone check if Shulk's dash speed was increased?

Last edited:
I'm almost sure that you couldn't do f-air to jab in the past version so..... This may need more testing

I'm almost convinced that f-air really got reduced landing lag. Now for b-air.... Did it change?

@ SamuraiPanda SamuraiPanda

Edit: Whoops my bad

Last edited:
Top Bottom