• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.1.2 Incoming

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If the next patch fixes up the Diddy Kong glitch, I'm very sure that it'll render ALL the 1.1.1 replays unplayable during the process.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So just Diddy fixed? No non custom buffs?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Almost certainly just the bug, unless there was something almost-but-not-quite done in time for the Mario Maker release that they decide to throw in.

Which would be cool, but don't get your hopes up.

Shog

Smash Ace
Someone on Reddit said the Patch is 80MB in Filesize. Are we sure that only Diddy gets patched

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How large are patches generally?
Each new update obviously makes the update data use more memory than before. That's because the update data also contains all the DLC data in the game; what you purchase at the eShop are just keys that are required to use the DLC that's in the update data.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Agreed.The diddy glitch can't be the only priority here. Fishy....
For comparison, Valve regularly cranks out 60-80 megabyte pathing/bugfixes in Dota 2, with little or no new content (occasionally a tournament ticket or maybe a cosmetic set).

It's fully possible that an 80mb patch could fix Diddy (and potentially others that may be lurking around, were Pac-Man and Jr's bugs ever fully resolved?). Maybe even improve some text tips that aren't accurate any more, or make some behind-the-scenes changes that nobody realizes, or some minor tweaks to menus in Tournament Mode (it was rather odd that player-hosted tourneys couldn't set Custom Moves Only while routine tourneys could be). Maybe they saw the silly shieldbreaks they created and will undo some of that (hope not). Who knows.

I'd love for this to be far more, but given the timing, I'd be pretty surprised. So I'm not getting my hopes up at the moment.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
For comparison, Valve regularly cranks out 60-80 megabyte pathing/bugfixes in Dota 2, with little or no new content (occasionally a tournament ticket or maybe a cosmetic set).

It's fully possible that an 80mb patch could fix Diddy (and potentially others that may be lurking around, were Pac-Man and Jr's bugs ever fully resolved?). Maybe even improve some text tips that aren't accurate any more, or make some behind-the-scenes changes that nobody realizes, or some minor tweaks to menus in Tournament Mode (it was rather odd that player-hosted tourneys couldn't set Custom Moves Only while routine tourneys could be). Maybe they saw the silly shieldbreaks they created and will undo some of that (hope not). Who knows.

I'd love for this to be far more, but given the timing, I'd be pretty surprised. So I'm not getting my hopes up at the moment.
Maybe they found a way to fix Bowser's Flying Slam while they were at it? Who knows?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Maybe they found a way to fix Bowser's Flying Slam while they were at it? Who knows?
There's quite a bit that it could be, and quite probably is (also that tidbit doesn't seem to include whether that's install size or disk size, as the two are often different). My point is simply that it could entirely be nearly nothing.

But again, I hope I'm wrong.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Someone on Reddit said the Patch is 80MB in Filesize. Are we sure that only Diddy gets patched
When you are essentially replacing the game's main executable it doesn't matter what you're changing...it can be a small single change or a number of large changes. If the code needs to be recompiled and a new executable generated, you're going to need to replace that executable when you release the patch. I'm not sure how big the Smash 4 executable actually is, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is true and they've only fixed Diddy.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Whenever it comes i hope its also for more balancing. But not likely xD

But thatd be sick.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
So glad to see Nintendo jump on this ASAP. It's stuff like this that can cripple the meta game; not just for the glitch, but for the constant debates over it, among other things.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
An only update on fixing Diddy... while they're at it, Nintendo should update any other characters and update online play too through lag issues.

Gamesfreak13563

Smash Cadet
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
When you are essentially replacing the game's main executable it doesn't matter what you're changing...it can be a small single change or a number of large changes. If the code needs to be recompiled and a new executable generated, you're going to need to replace that executable when you release the patch. I'm not sure how big the Smash 4 executable actually is, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is true and they've only fixed Diddy.
Has there been any other patch that added no assets whatsoever? If we can compare the two filesizes and they match up to be pretty similar, then we have the size of our executable.

If they could make the game load up faster, that'd be nice. They mostly fixed it in 1.0.8 I think but then 1.1.1 made everything slow again.
I have a feeling that the game checks the Internet at the start of each boot, but I can't confirm. It feels faster disconnected from the web, though. Perhaps a laggy connection is slowing you down?

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
If they could make the game load up faster, that'd be nice. They mostly fixed it in 1.0.8 I think but then 1.1.1 made everything slow again.
I haven't seen an improvement. It seems like the game is loading slower and slower with every patch. With 1.1.1 it seems slower than it has ever been.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
The replay breaking is driving me nuts. Speaking of replays, I wish replays would not have those old cube controls, but nice play/stop/rewind controls..

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm thinking of just setting up a website where I record people's playthroughs and sending it to them. The problem is I'd have no idea how to automate the process.
Short of having notable skill in hardware macros and various other things, you couldn't make it fully automated.

But that's a cool idea!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I haven't seen an improvement. It seems like the game is loading slower and slower with every patch. With 1.1.1 it seems slower than it has ever been.
Each update uses more memory on the Wii U hard drive, so it's natural if it takes longer to load, since it's processing more data than if it didn't have any update data available.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How long does it take to load from the Wii U hard drive? I have a disc copy of Smash 4 and it is at least 10 to 15 seconds in my estimation.
I guess it can depend on the condition of your Wii U's disc drive as well. It takes longer to fully read something that uses 5 MB than if you try to load something that uses only 5 KB, so think about how long it would take to download something that uses over 15 GB on the hard drive.

Marusero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Puzormarcelo
3DS FC
4811-8183-4279
It's nice to see that Nintendo is fixing Diddy's glitch!

Btw I have the digital version and currently (ver.1.1.1) it takes me about 40 seconds from pressing the game's icon on the menu to starting the intro cutscene, so by somehow making that a little faster would be nice, but is it possible?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Actually, one of the big changes in 1.0.8 (or whatever) that the dataminers found was to how the game starts up. It really did make it faster.

My Wii U's nearly full and it takes 40 seconds at least.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Each update uses more memory on the Wii U hard drive, so it's natural if it takes longer to load, since it's processing more data than if it didn't have any update data available.
That really shouldn't be the case I think, at least if they're modifying parts of the main executable that were already modified in past updates. So I wouldn't expect any increase in load time for 1.1.2 unless they do something beyond fixing that glitch with Diddy Kong.

…I wonder if that glitch with Diddy Kong has technically been there the whole time and it just never showed itself because shieldstun wasn't long enough?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
The replay breaking is driving me nuts. Speaking of replays, I wish replays would not have those old cube controls, but nice play/stop/rewind controls..
As much as I support that idea, the replays in Smash 4 and Brawl are done through a AI script to consume less memory so it's not possible for them to patch it in without revamping the replay system altogether.

Raijinken

Smash Master
As much as I support that idea, the replays in Smash 4 and Brawl are done through a AI script to consume less memory so it's not possible for them to patch it in without revamping the replay system altogether.
Not that people would complain if the replay system was overhauled all together...

But yea, unlikely.

Probably just a bugfix, maybe some optimization here and there where nobody will see it. 80megs (if that's accurate) is plenty small enough to be irrelevant to all but Diddy.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
There are ways to make it work.
Like they might make you able to change the speed of the match a la training mode, or rewind it a few frames, and still keep the AI script system intact.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There are ways to make it work.
Like they might make you able to change the speed of the match a la training mode, or rewind it a few frames, and still keep the AI script system intact.
The game isn't programmed to go in reverse... It would need a ton of memory if you just want it to remember where everybody was on each frame, too. MK8 can afford to do things in a much simpler way and thus rewind is possible.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Simply an option to Fast Forward would be plenty for me.

So many rounds where I just want to skip to one moment.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
What I'd really like is just to be able to make a highlight reel by just watching the replay and hitting a button to choose when to start/stop recording. (Well, realistically it'd be recording the whole replay and I'd just be marking parts for it to actually keep, but still.) Like a did I highlight reel of one match of Gunner vs. Ryu and it didn't keep the part where he was standing on the top platform of Dream Land 64 while I spammed fast-fall UAirs on him.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Lots of good ideas in this thread... but I suspect this is nothing but a needed glitch fix.

Sucks that replays will break again though...

Somebody get me a job that pays an obscene sum of money so I can justify a capture device to my budget.

Gamesfreak13563

Smash Cadet
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
It's also overwhelming how much space recorded 1080p60 takes. Using the h264vfw codec with a lossless compression at 4:2:2 chroma subsampling (read: not all of the colors) only nets me a 4.1:1 compression ratio, ending with 3 minute files around the 16 GB mark. Recording ~15 replays used up 100 GB. It's impractical to do any real video on the Wii U, which is why videos uploaded to Youtube look so compressed and awful.
Add in the fact that the PowerPC processor used in the Wii U probably doesn't have a dedicated H.264 decoder/encoder implemented in hardware like in the x64 consoles/PCs/dedicated capture cards and you're really in trouble.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I wish I had known this patch would be pushed last night! I played some great matches last night, wake up so I can share some of my replays this morning, and find out 1.1.2 has already been installed and all my replays broken. Ugh!

Top Bottom