• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.0.4 Released for Smash 3DS, No Public Patch Notes

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Patch 1.0.4 is finally live, and its balance changes are in place. However, several of these changes have likely yet to be discovered - no patch notes have been made public, leaving players to figure out character's changes themselves. Some major bugs and glitches have been fixed along with some changes to characters. Read on for more details.

Changes abound for Smash 3DS.
Glitches Fixed

Patch 1.0.4 cleared up several of the larger glitches present in Smash Bros. for 3DS. These include Yoshi's Egg Teleport and his lag-canceling glitches, toss canceling, and hitstun canceling for a variety of characters that were able to abuse these tactics.
Balance Changes

Nearly every character got some changes with this patch, but unfortunately there is no comprehensive list. Some things have been clearly addressed in stronger characters; Luma now takes longer to reappear, and Little Mac's side-B punch covers less distance than before. It's not just the strongest characters that have been changed, however: several characters have been buffed with damage increases, higher knockback, and lag reduction. There is no comprehensive list at the moment, but SamuraiPanda's list in our forums has some of the changes listed so far. As changes are found, the list will be updated.

What do you think of balance changes this early in the game? Noticed anything different with your favorite character? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit swears that latency is better too, but that could just be coincidence in his first few games. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Seriously, Nintendo? Is releasing patch notes too cliche? :glare:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I still think it was way too early to make any changes, especially to the degree they did (and especially if they aren't gonna give patch notes).

However, it's certainly interesting discovering the differences. Rosalina actually seems buffed overall. I feel the buffs she got are more significant than the nerfs.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Meh, really not a fan of balance changes this early in a fighting game's life. It takes years to fully realize the potential of these characters, so buffing/nerfing things already doesn't make much sense.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think it's way too early to make balance changes (Except rosie, ***** is broken as ****) but whatever, If it means there's a chance that characters I like that suck can get better I'm down

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
OOOH AND I JUST WANT TO SAY:

Don't reply to anyone who says they think it may have been too early to patch the game with "well the 3DS is just the beta".

No it isn't. 3DS Smash is a full price 3DS game, and the 50-Fact Extravaganza DID say all of the techniques we had been practicing until now will translate to Wii U. However, this is clearly no longer the case, as a lot has changed with the new update, that the Wii U version will launch with.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Why they don't do proper patch notes, especially for a game like this, is completely beyond me.

They need to get out from under their rock, this is annoying.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I love Nintendo really, I'm a fanboy and will always play their rehashed Mario games before I touch, GTA, Call of Duty, Destiny etc...but I wish they would get their **** together. There's no excuse for not releasing patch notes, get with the times.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I get the feeling Nintendo is trying to experiment a bit with the metagame and the community. Not releasing patch notes to see how fast we rechart everything and get new techniques, hosting a tournament with the top players (you'll remember people begged the players not to reveal any exploits). Trying to shut down EVO's Melee stream one year and then sponsoring it the next.

Nintendo's playing with us. They want to know about this grassroots phenomenon.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
If anything was changed with Pacman or Robin let me know.

Until then Imma play some F-Zero GP Legend.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I get the feeling Nintendo is trying to experiment a bit with the metagame and the community. Not releasing patch notes to see how fast we rechart everything and get new techniques, hosting a tournament with the top players (you'll remember people begged the players not to reveal any exploits). Trying to shut down EVO's Melee stream one year and then sponsoring it the next.

Nintendo's playing with us. They want to know about this grassroots phenomenon.
You think they're knowledgeable enough about competitive play to actually pull a fast one on us like that?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If anything was changed with Pacman or Robin let me know.

Until then Imma play some F-Zero GP Legend.
Only change for Pac-Man seems to be that his B-air can no longer launch the hydrant in one hit.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
You think they're knowledgeable enough about competitive play to actually pull a fast one on us like that?
Yes and no. If they did know that much about competitive play, they'd probably make Greninja or Rosaluma or another already somewhat OP character even stronger, to see how the community reacts, and then nerf him at a later date.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yes and no. If they did know that much about competitive play, they'd probably make Greninja or Rosaluma or another already somewhat OP character even stronger, to see how the community reacts, and then nerf him at a later date.
Rosalina has been buffed overall. She has a few nerfs, but the buffs feel way more significant.

SojyuRyu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shiragon21
3DS FC
2019-9678-7610
I agree with Hisry on this matter it won't take long before us as the Smash community take all the new changes and incorporate it into new play styles for the entire roster.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
I wish they would give us patch notes.
Also... I REALLY hope they aren't making these balancing changes based on For Glory, that would be dumb because For Glory is FD only, which is obviously going to lean in favor of some characters.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
The hate Nintendo is getting for not releasing patch notes is funny. :p
If people criticized smash boards for releasing this article late, people would be like "Disrespectful! you should be ashamed!"

Just be glad there's patches.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Finally the patch came out. It's a bit sad that the notes haven't been given, but I'm sure somebody in this forum will take some time to make a list of all there is to know about the game patch. I just hope there is a balance and characters from the Low Tier come to be a C category at the very least. I doubt this will happen, but I hope this is the first step to a balanced game.

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
I'm really happy that balancing is happening.

It makes me annoyed when some characters just seem really weak in comparison to others, and from what I've seen, it looks like they're addressing this directly. Of particular notice to me are Shulk's general damage buff, and Ike's neutral aerial getting more speed and autocanceling: things that aren't incredibly huge, but will certainly make them more viable.

Sure, the people who play characters that get nerfed will be sad, but in the cases I've seen, it seems warranted: Greninja's upsmash was probably the best one in the game, for example, and hardly had endlag to match.
Getting unintended shenangian techniques (like Shadow Sneak canceled landing lag) fixed makes things a lot cleaner, and closer to what was intended, too.

The real question is whether these patches will happen frequently. This was likely due to the finishing up of the Wii U development, but will balance patches keep coming every couple of months? That would certainly be too often...

In any case, have fun making a tier list, Smash Back Room.

-

Last edited:

RevolverRoden

Smash Rookie
heh no patch notes is classic Nintendo. I'd be really surprised if they actually released patch notes. Maybe in Smash 6 nintendo will get with the times.

Jet Set Smash

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0662-4082-0172
Anyone Want to play smash 1v1 me bro

FC: 0662-4082-0172

Seigi Hakobi

Smash Rookie
Not sure how much influence this has on how I play. If somebody finds something to REALLY get riled up about, come find me then.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Really? No patch notes again? :( While I'm still a Nintendo fan, these "detailed/thorough patch notes" omissions are just so disappointing.. Kudos to everyone who is assisting in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (version 1.0.4) patch note compilation, though.. I remember @Dantarion did some data mining earlier for past SSB4-3DS patches (much appreciated!); hopefully something along those lines can be repeated. With companies like Jagex and Capcom managing to get detailed patch notes released (even though Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game/MMORPG development likely differs from fighting game development, the thoroughness that I've seen for Jagex's patch notes regarding RuneScape updates is just staggering; it continues to baffles me), surely Nintendo can achieve something similar? I mean, sheesh...it's not often that I hear of players resorting to assembling patch notes themselves rather than the developer.. >_>

At least we're getting patches for SSB4-3DS, though.. I wonder if the various Corneria glitches have been addressed? :laugh: And I'm hoping those hitbox quirks for the swords of Marth and Meta Knight were fixed..

Why they don't do proper patch notes, especially for a game like this, is completely beyond me.

They need to get under their rock, this is annoying.
Don't you mean "get out from under their rock"? XD But yeah, the practice of not releasing adequate patch notes needs to go. :/

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Does this mean all toss canceling is gone? So literally anytime the game is played in a way Nintendo did not intend it to be they are going to patch it and call the techniques "glitches". I'm sticking to melee until that changes....

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Does this mean all toss canceling is gone? So literally anytime the game is played in a way Nintendo did not intend it to be they are going to patch it and call the techniques "glitches". I'm sticking to melee until that changes....
Toss cancelling was considered Unbalanced, we don't want a Brawl Minus in Smash 4, where stuff like Princess Peach's 0 - Death combo is a thing. Glad they patched Robin's Triple Jump, Toss Cancelling, Princess Peach infinite combo, Greninja Shadow Sneak Cancel, Rush / Popgun cancels. They patch them because they're UNBALANCED, making one character better than another because of 'broken 'advanced' techniques' where they can get an edge a lot easier than others. Shadow sneak cancelling especially.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Toss cancelling was considered Unbalanced, we don't want a Brawl Minus in Smash 4, where stuff like Princess Peach's 0 - Death combo is a thing. Glad they patched Robin's Triple Jump, Toss Cancelling, Princess Peach infinite combo, Greninja Shadow Sneak Cancel, Rush / Popgun cancels. They patch them because they're UNBALANCED, making one character better than another because of 'broken 'advanced' techniques' where they can get an edge a lot easier than others. Shadow sneak cancelling especially.
Its hard to say anything is "UNBALANCED" at this point in time. Less than 2 months old. My comment was more in response to what it represents anyway. With this mentality, wavedashing would have been taken out of Melee as soon as people began using it. This is going to get annoying as hell.

Top Bottom