• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Paper Mario series - Vote more than once! Whoever doesn't vote for Vivian gets banned

Who's your favorite companion? :D

• Total voters

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
How is there not a thread on this yet. It's pretty much the best.

Paper Mario DS

man. I loved this game. TTYD as well.

Whats really good.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
One of my fav games! 1st one was better than the 2nd one imo. Never tried the 3rd. Looked like garbage.....

Oh, and Bow is my fav character :D

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I really liked the first one as well!

You mean super paper mario? Yeah, its definitely not the same thing. </3

Bow was one of my favorite companions as well!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There is a thread on this, the Mario RPGs thread.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Super Paper Mario is more of a Platformer, I can understand why people would feel different about Super Paper Mario. The Thousand Year Door is my favorite, completed the whole game more than 50 times, I used Action Replay for the heck of it for the last 5 times I beat it, (have every badge, and max badge points code). I need to play Super Paper Mario again, I only completed that game twice, I shall play it after I beat Super Mario RPG.

Edited: What said Firus even though I just posted.... late night johns. >.<

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I really liked the first one as well!

You mean super paper mario? Yeah, its definitely not the same thing. </3

Bow was one of my favorite companions as well!
You have excellent taste imo
lol

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yeah, the title of that thread is a little vague...it does make me think of SMRPG. :(

UberMario

Smash Master
I was wondering, does anything happen
when you do what you did in your spoiler
Metal Mario?

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Nope.

Just did it cuz Vivian was sooooo awesome.

Spamming burn and stuff.....

Ahhh.....good times.

I'm at like lvl37 right now.

It becomes soooo hard to grind after lvl33.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Only way to grind to another level is to either go back to the Pit Of 100 Trials or find the Amazee Dayzees more than twice after you level up pass 33. D:

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
I can never kill Amazee in one turn. Seriously. It pisses me off. I don't want to adjust my badges cuz I like them just the way they are.

The Pit suffers from 1 Star point every battle now @37, just like the rest of the game.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The first Paper Mario had amazing music. I love it.

I like TTYD's combat better, though. That, and I can have a ridiculous amount of badges, which makes me happy.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Thousand Year Door was boss. Especially the bosses. Macho Grubba made me lol.

Vivian, Bobbery, and Yoshi were my favorite partners. :3

-Terywj

A_man13

Smash Master
My favorite TTYD partner was always a tie between Vivian and Flurrie. I wasn't very good at Yoshi's action commands and Bobbary I could pull off his comands halfway consistantly, but I could pull off stylish body slams and fire punches without fail. I pretty much beat every boss with one of the two. Heck, in my first playthrough, I almost only used Flurrie...

But I can see where those tiers could develop; the later you get a partner, the higher HP they can get. When Bobbary's max HP is 50 compared to the late twenties of Gombella, then naturally who is better?

Navn

Smash Apprentice
TTYD is great!

Agreed. That would've been pretty cool.

Paper Mario (GCN) Partner Tier List

S Tier
Vivian
Bobbery

A Tier
Yoshi
Koops

B Tier
Flurrie

C Tier
Ms. Mowz
Goombella

Edit: 7000th post.

-Terywj
I think you're dead wrong on a few of them! It all depends on the setup you use really. Goombella can be VERY effective with her Rally Wink, since you can spend all your badges on superpowering Mario, and then use him twice each turn. Actual, the most damage per turn setups include Goombella (Either Danger Mario or Peril Mario + Power Bounce). Tattle is also a great move i think, not only for the obvious reasons. When you have two of the same icon (for Bingo), but can't complete an action command without killing your opponent - you can just use tattle to get a shot at Bingo. Multibonk is also grrreat if you're good at the action command.

Ms. Mowz has the same penetrate-defense effect as Watt does. Smooch is pretty bad, but if you give her some powerplus badges or powerplus(danger) badges / boost her with the special attack she can really dish out alot of damage to any boss in the game. Stealing is also pretty good, free items / badges are decent.

I'm having a hard time determining whether Vivian or Bobbery is best. Both of them can be used very well against the Shadow Queen, but Bobberys attack cost more FP. I prefer Vivian for Shadow Queen, and Bobbery for everything else - i think. He can take out most enemy groups with a single attack, which is a fantastic timesaver if you're tired of the long, tedious battles.

Koops' best attack also penetrates defense while hurting everyone, so it can pretty effective on groups of enemies (mainly in lower levels of PoHT, where most enemies have defense points), especially when paired with something like Quake Hammer. His shield is fantastic, and his 1def makes him a very good tank. He falls over alot, so that's definitely a minus.

Yoshi is mildly useful too. I used him mainly for the speed boost when not in battle though :p

Flurrie is the only partner i didn't find useful. Her attacks seem pretty bad when compared to the rest (why make Mario dodgy with her when you can make him invincible with Koops). Also, her personality is scary. Her high HP makes her a pretty good meat-shield though. Bobbery and Koops are both better i think.

To be honest, most partners are pretty good. That's why i like to use Quick Change as soon as i can get it. Besides the obvious "always use the optimal partner"-use, it also effectively gives you a much larger HP pool, since you can partner tank with all your partners before Mario can be hurt (doesn't work on all enemies ofc.) Everyone should just use who they like the most though, since the game isn't very hard.

WOW, long post is long.

S-Tier
Goombella

A-Tier
Bobbery
Vivian

B-Tier
Ms. Mowz
Koops
Yoshi

C-Tier
Flurrie

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
tl;dr goes here

S-Tier
Goombella

A-Tier
Bobbery
Vivian

B-Tier
Ms. Mowz
Koops
Yoshi

C-Tier
Flurrie
Putting Yoshi below koops absolutely ludicrous as is putting Goombella at the absolute top.

Point for point Vivian is the best partner in the game as she required 0 support. Her ability to burn(and thus add passive damage) all enemies was just too stupidly good to ignore especially since Fiery Jinx pierced.

Flurrie also had a leg up on others due to her lip lock attack. I piercing, self healing move is just too good to ignore and it meant you very rarely had to waste items on her.

Koops was definitely the worst party member in the game, if for nothing else, because he could be flipped over and made immobile. His extra point in defense also failed to make up for his pitiful low HP(25)

Yoshi was good by virtue of his Mini-Egg ability. It had a ridiculous success rate, even against alot of bosses(which is just silly)

IMO

S-Tier
Vivian

A-Tier
Bobbery
Flurrie
Goomella

B-Tier
Goomella
Yoshi
Mowz

I think it goes without saying that bobbery was stupidly good. Too gad he was an FP *****

I ONLY CAME INTO THIS THREAD CUS VICTRA MADE IT ♥

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
HAHAHA. God **** it XD You always do that! ♥♥♥

but yah. Vivian was the best ever. She was definitely my FAVORITE COMPANION EVERRR. She was a cutie.

edit: Does anyone want a favorite companions poll? I can add one if you guys want.

Vivian and Bobbery are indeed too good. I don't remember the game too well (which is odd because I did a re-run less than 6 months ago), but from what I remember, Goombella is beast. The second I got out of battle, I swapped to her, so that in case I meet with a new enemy, I could immediately tattle. This includes bosses.

I stopped my re-run of the game because I got SICK AND TIRED of watching the same 10 minute cut scene over and over just to fight the Shadow Queen. I know what I was doing wrong though (not enough Vivian ;)). Flurrie was useless, imo.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Putting Yoshi below koops absolutely ludicrous as is putting Goombella at the absolute top.

Goombella allows you to destroy Bonetail and the Shadow Queen in one turn (with Rally Wink of course, i don't mean her multibonk). Ludicrous, yeah. I didn't use Yoshi much, so you might be right there. Koops is still hella good because of his Shell Shield attack, and his defense-piecing multhit attack (which is beast on the lower levels of the pit).

Point for point Vivian is the best partner in the game as she required 0 support. Her ability to burn(and thus add passive damage) all enemies was just too stupidly good to ignore especially since Fiery Jinx pierced.

You might be right here. I think Vivian was the best partner for Shadow Queen (besides Goombella with the right badge setup of course), because she had the most FP-efficient multihit-move. I used Bobbery for pretty much everything else, since he could take out most enemy groups with a single attack if i had FP to spare, or just oneshot a single enemy if not.

Flurrie also had a leg up on others due to her lip lock attack. I piercing, self healing move is just too good to ignore and it meant you very rarely had to waste items on her.

You didn't need much tanking in this game anyway, and Sweet Feast is more healing than you'll ever need. Using Sweet Feast, Bobbery is the best tank.

Koops was definitely the worst party member in the game, if for nothing else, because he could be flipped over and made immobile. His extra point in defense also failed to make up for his pitiful low HP(25)

Yeah, him flipping over was definitely a problem. Not all enemies were able to do this though. Also, most of the attacks that flip him over (ie jumps) are very distinctively telegraphed, meaning it was easy to superguard it - thus avoiding the flipover.

Yoshi was good by virtue of his Mini-Egg ability. It had a ridiculous success rate, even against alot of bosses(which is just silly)

I bet it's pretty good. I just think attack power is more useful than defense power in this game, since very few enemies have enough HP to last very long against you. (Attack reduction equals defense, basically.)

My comments in bold text.

Lol, i love discussions like these.

Victra, add the poll :).. I think this game was easy enough that it's possible to go with any partner you like and still be succesful.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
So the tier list should be about who is the best when you have 0 badges? It's not like it is hard to get a few of the danger / peril badges and make a killer Mario. You don't even need a high level, since they all require a minimum amount of FP. Saying that you could just farm more badges to make her obsolete isn't really a good point, since that would just make her double as good (theoretically, since no enemies have those amounts of HP.) Saying that she isn't the best because it takes a small amount of time to get badges is like saying Ms. Mowz is bad because you have to do a sidequest to get her. It has nothing to do with the character.

Goombella is the best because Mario is best. You also get double value for your badges even when you don't use Danger / Peril badges, because you only have to boost one character.

Example:
Let's say we have 24 BP, 4 Power Plus badges and 4 Power Plus P badges

With Goombella, you can give Mario +4 damage - which he benefits from twice.

Without her, you can give Mario and the Partner +2 damage each, which you only benefit from once.

Edit: Goombella also obsoletes Vivian for Shadow Queen. Give Mario an attack like multibounce, and he will deal more than 6 / 7 damage to the hands (and the head) per turn, costing the same FP.

A_man13

Smash Master
I never equip any badges outside of abilities, peekaboo, and a few effect badges. I don't focus on BP, so not like I have a lot to play with.

BSP

Smash Legend
Badges can easily break the game, especially in PM2, so I usually just upgrade hp and fp.

I would say for general wandering and most of the story, Bobbery was the best partner. He had the highest hp, and 6 dmg per attack was pretty good for a partner.

Mewter

Smash Master
I really can't decide between all of them! :laugh:
So I voted for everyone except for Flurrie and the Yoshi. They're not so great.

Even Ms. Mowz can be useful.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
tbh, I felt that the fact you could name the yoshi made it feel...strange.

i have a feeling watt and vivian will be the top! WHO CAN'T LOVE THOSE TWO?

and Flurrie. Oh man.

A_man13

Smash Master
I got the same feeling. I voted Watt, Sushie, Vivian, and Bobbary. If I could go back and add a vote for Lakilester, though, I would. The only reason I ever liked flurry was for lip lock and my rather good luck for stylish body slams. I usually stick with either Flurry or vivian for most of the game. A pirate bomb is just cooler than any washed up actress, though...

Top Bottom