• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Its 4 or more Panels to make Garbage blocks. Now, if you make a Chain, it only has to be 3 from x2 onwards. Ever additional chain adds another row to the garbage block.
Oh, no, I get THAT.

I thought that N. Onymous was saying that I mixed up the in-game properties of regular Panels with those of Garbage Blocks. My apologies, I should've been more clear.

But no, I created/balanced Lip's PanePon Chains using JUST 3 blocks because there's already so much to keep track of in Smash Bros. that having to remember PdP's EXACT Chain system while playing would be ludicrous and unnecessary.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Anyway, the reason I came up with different time meters for the PanePons and Fairy Blossom was to allow the player a LOT of control over what she does, but still give Lip reasonable limits.

I figure that a single Pon on the ground would be less intrusive than Pac-Man's Hydrant, something easy to avoid but still forces a jump out of your opponents.
But Lip can lay them on top of fall-through platforms to make them solid, use a slow falling green circle and a second jump to help get back to the stage, lay patches of the two blue triangle Pons to forcefully alter your foe's approach, drop a slower green circle Pon over the ledge and use that as a platform to catch 3 of the fast-falling purple diamonds to gimp an opponent with a Chain, create a 6-Pon high tower of various different Pons to buy some time to strategize, or create impressive Chains that use predicted enemy reads to cause them to accidentally blow themselves up.
The applications are literally only limited by the player's imagination and the timer.

And as for Fairy Blossom, if its going to be used for an extended period of time then Lip needs to spend time charging it to upkeep it, otherwise its charge will quickly dwindle. And she can't just start charging whenever, 10 seconds is a hell of a long time to charge already, having to restart it after 9 seconds because you were hit while charging would be sure to be a major peeve.
But the sheer amount of damage increase it grants Lip makes it a worthy endeavor, and allows her to reasonably mix-up ranged Chains and the melee attacks Lip's Stick effects, but they both require planning and reading to use with any sense of reliability.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I've found something interesting, it appears that Smash Wii U has a "Random Name Tag" system. Clicking R gives you random pre-loaded tag names. Lip is one of the names.

Can be seen at 0:39

Is this foreshadowing, or is it just a coincidence? The fact that the other pre-loaded name tags are also names of other characters that aren't playable makes this that more interesting.

Last edited:

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
I've found something interesting, it appears that Smash Wii U has a "Random Name Tag" system. Clicking R gives you random pre-loaded tag names. Lip is one of the names.

Can be seen at 0:39

Is this foreshadowing, or is it just a coincidence? The fact that the other pre-loaded name tags are also names of other characters that aren't playable makes this that more interesting.
It doesn't mean anything, or else Daisy would've been playable already. ;)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
"Lip" was one of the random names in Brawl too. So was "Midna", "Fwful" (Fawful), "Rawk", and a couple others I can't remember. I'd like to imagine it's foreshadowing (Midna did end up as an Assist Trophy), but it doesn't really add up.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried writing a moveset for Lip that doesn't utilize her wand? Maybe something using elements from not just Panel de Pon but other Nintendo puzzle games as well (besides Dr. Mario); Yoshi's Cookie, Pushmo, Kirby's Star Stacker, etc., sort of like what they did with Pac-Man.

As an added bonus, if this were to happen - hypothetically, of course - the lack of a character-specific item as a key part of Lip's moveset would allow her to have alts of the other fairies a la Bowser Jr.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Hey, Panel Poppers. Check it out.

Lip's finally joined the brawl for real...perhaps a bit too late, now that SSB4 has rolled around. It's better than nothing, though, yea? This is all once again thanks to my pal Taigiry. She rocks!

She comes with palette swaps based on the other fairies too. She also comes with a rimlight variation!

Here's the download link on Brawlvault.

Happy 19th, Panel De Pon!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried writing a moveset for Lip that doesn't utilize her wand? Maybe something using elements from not just Panel de Pon but other Nintendo puzzle games as well (besides Dr. Mario); Yoshi's Cookie, Pushmo, Kirby's Star Stacker, etc., sort of like what they did with Pac-Man.

As an added bonus, if this were to happen - hypothetically, of course - the lack of a character-specific item as a key part of Lip's moveset would allow her to have alts of the other fairies a la Bowser Jr.
Oh, yeah! You know, I've also been having this idea for a few days now, and I personally can't decide between Lip having alt. colors to reference the other fairies, or have all of the fairies appear as alt. skins for Lip, ala Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Lip's finally joined the brawl for real...perhaps a bit too late, now that SSB4 has rolled around. It's better than nothing, though, yea? This is all once again thanks to my pal Taigiry. She rocks!

She comes with palette swaps based on the other fairies too. She also comes with a rimlight variation!

Well, once I get a Wii U I'll try it out. I'll have to figure out how to use these mods.

D

Deleted member

Thanks guys.

Lip's finally joined the brawl for real...perhaps a bit too late, now that SSB4 has rolled around.
I dunno, I don't think SSB4 is the Smash to end them all, especially not with the near limitless potential Brawl hacking has. In fact, I find SSB4 to be quite flawed itself, but I digress.

Look on the bright side, if SSB4 ever gets hacked like this, a Lip model already exists. And the one imported in Brawl is actually downgraded from my original one, because it had too many polys. In fact, I had to remove her entire petticoat due to this and her flowers on her boots are very low poly, which clashes badly with the one on her chest.

But moving on from Lip, looking back, I really hate how the stage turned out. There's so much stuff that could be improved and I might actually revisit it later and give it an overhaul with all the stuff I've learned by now. Right now I have a different project though (Sonic 2's Hidden Palace) so that might take a while. But as it doesn't hurt to ask, is there anything you guys would like to see on a revisited Popples stage? Changes, additions, anything?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Thanks guys.

I dunno, I don't think SSB4 is the Smash to end them all, especially not with the near limitless potential Brawl hacking has. In fact, I find SSB4 to be quite flawed itself, but I digress.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I still think Brawl is great and has a lot of potential. I just felt that the general interest in Brawl mods such as this (unless it's project M) might decrease a bit since SSB4's release. I'd be quite happy if the interest remained.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999

Woah, that's amazing! The model looks adorable, and the stage is incredible! I have nothing but respect for all this!
I wish there was some way I could help you all out, other than to just watch from a distance!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Which reminds me that I was considering making a Lip driver mod for Mario Kart Wii after I saw someone had replaced Dry Bowser with Gardevoir.

Probably I'd do her over Baby Daisy or another lightweight. I'm not sure whether I'd use her Captain Rainbow model or Tai's, though. CR's would fit a little better in the Mario Kart art style but would probably need some proportion adjustments due to the game's heavily stylized art. Tai's looks better overall and was made for a mod to begin with, but is a little more anime than the typical Mario Kart style (remember that even Link in MK8 was touched up to look more at home in the Mario universe).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not familiar with MK Wii hacking, nor do I intend to learn it, but you're better off not using my model. Brawl already barely handles it, and I seriously doubt MK would be able to in that case. After all, MK's models are far more low-poly than Brawl's.

Might be wrong, but I would advise against it.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
So, has anyone had any luck in finding a Lip trophy in the WiiU version?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, has anyone had any luck in finding a Lip trophy in the WiiU version?
Well, there's at least 4-5 Captain Rainbow trophies that GameExplain found. Considering how many there are I'm sure Lip will be showing up fairly soon.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
5 Captain Rainbow trophies without Lip would be absurd, so I'm pretty confident that she's in.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Well, there's at least 4-5 Captain Rainbow trophies that GameExplain found. Considering how many there are I'm sure Lip will be showing up fairly soon.
Don't you mean fairy soon? aahaaahaaahaa...
But seriously, if there's 5 Captain Rainbow Trophies and no Lip, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I think lip would be a bloody fantastic character for smash. I've never actually played one of her games (their not exactly easy to find/play), but I like her design, and her comonly suggested Side-Special seems like a really fun idea.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I fully support Lip to be in this game.

I always thought it'd be funny if Lip was actually a heavy-hitter like Donkey Kong despite her small appearance. Maybe she's ripped with muscles underneath that blouse...

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Intelligent Systems better have something planned for the 20th-anniversary for this series. I mean it can't be too hard to make a 3DS retail title, 3DSWare title, or Wii U Ware title? Right?

The last title in the series was all the way back in 2007 (if not counting that stripped down port of Panel de Pon DS released for DSiWare back in 2009). Its long overdue for a new installment at this point.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I played Panel de Pon recently, and it's a great game, well, it's basically Tetris Attack, or the other way around.
The point is that she could be a great character with a moveset based on her puzzle games. I support.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I played Panel de Pon recently, and it's a great game, well, it's basically Tetris Attack, or the other way around.
The point is that she could be a great character with a moveset based on her puzzle games. I support.
Well, it is Tetris Attack lol. Tetris Attack was just a name decision when porting the game to the west. A horribly bad decision, but a decision nonetheless.

Intelligent Systems better have something planned for the 20th-anniversary for this series. I mean it can't be too hard to make a 3DS retail title, 3DSWare title, or Wii U Ware title? Right?

The last title in the series was all the way back in 2007 (if not counting that stripped down port of Panel de Pon DS released for DSiWare back in 2009). Its long overdue for a new installment at this point.
Agreed. We NEED another Panel de Pon game! I did hear a rumor a while back than IS was interested in bringing back one of their older properties (back in Spring). The main ones I can think of are Advance Wars and Panel de Pon.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd love another Panel de Pon game, but I just can't see it happening any time soon. Nintendo of Japan hates it, Nintendo of America has always hated it, and Intelligent Systems would rather focus on Pushmo, Fire Emblem, and flavor-of-the-month crap like Codename STEAM. It seems to me like they're using the Virtual Console and the 3DS backwards-compatibility with DSiWare to avoid creating new games in the series. Sometimes it almost seems like they're ashamed of it. And unless we somehow fall into an alternate dimension where Nintendo doesn't show more love for characters they don't even own and indie games than something they themselves created, that's just the status quo. A 20th anniversary celebration would be fantastic, but I've gotten my hopes up only to have them crash back down hard enough times.

I can't be the only one who really wants a PdP RPG for its platinum anniversary, though, am I? With a soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura preferably? That'd be mint. If there's anyone from Nintendo reading this thread, you should be taking notes. : P

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

That's awesome!!!

Thanks guys.

Look on the bright side, if SSB4 ever gets hacked like this, a Lip model already exists. And the one imported in Brawl is actually downgraded from my original one, because it had too many polys. In fact, I had to remove her entire petticoat due to this and her flowers on her boots are very low poly, which clashes badly with the one on her chest.

But moving on from Lip, looking back, I really hate how the stage turned out. There's so much stuff that could be improved and I might actually revisit it later and give it an overhaul with all the stuff I've learned by now. Right now I have a different project though (Sonic 2's Hidden Palace) so that might take a while. But as it doesn't hurt to ask, is there anything you guys would like to see on a revisited Popples stage? Changes, additions, anything?
The stage is not bad, there are a few things that may be improved, but it's by no way bad.
The first thing that I can suggest you is to study a better color palette.
Looks like the main problem of the stage is just the color palette, not the stage itself; I would use softer colors and more emphasis on flowers.
Also, it would be nice to rearrange the elements in the background a bit in a way so they are more visible and less messy; for example, the ground on the left, is too much on the left, it's hard to see. I would move it closer to the center of the camera, if it's possible.
The rainbows probably should be transparent... like the one in the Kirby stage.
A fog system for the background may help a bit... and maybe, you could use these colors for the sky...

these are my ideas... not sure if they could work but anyway.
EDIT:
I think that Ripple Star from Kirby 64 is a nice inspiration for a Panel de Pon stage, especially for the color palette.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think lip would be a bloody fantastic character for smash. I've never actually played one of her games (their not exactly easy to find/play), but I like her design, and her comonly suggested Side-Special seems like a really fun idea.
I emulated it and I feel no shame about it. Better than not playing it because Nintendo refuses to re-release the game on the eShop for a current gen system.

Anyways, I already showed my support here a few months ago and I still support Lip, even though I don't post in this thread usually.

I also want Adeleine playable so badly, it is nice to see more supporters of her (like Iko MattOrr above)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I emulated it and I feel no shame about it. Better than not playing it because Nintendo refuses to re-release the game on the eShop for a current gen system.
Not exactly true. Nintendo of Japan has the game on the Wii U Virtual Console, but if my hunch is correct, Nintendo's international branches are waiting until they can get N64 games up because they think we'll like "I'M GONNA WIN! I'M FEELING GIDDY! WHEN YER HOT YER HOT!" more.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not exactly true. Nintendo of Japan has the game on the Wii U Virtual Console, but if my hunch is correct, Nintendo's international branches are waiting until they can get N64 games up because they think we'll like "I'M GONNA WIN! I'M FEELING GIDDY! WHEN YER HOT YER HOT!" more.
I don't live in Japan, though and I have no interest in making an account in the Japanese eShop to buy one game. When (if) they release it for the American eShop, I will buy it for sure.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Which is perfectly understandable, really. It's a great game with charming characters on top of that, and if Nintendo would only release it officially in the US and Europe, I and, I'm sure, everyone here would be more than happy to throw our money at them. But they're not cool like that, so our only option is to emulate. You gotta do what you gotta do, sometimes.

It's a horrible shame that no one at Nintendo has realized what a potential cash cow this series could be. It really is.

Hong

The Strongest
I wish they weren't so binary about whether or not they have products on the mobile market.

It's like this: A puzzle game is basically the best kind of seller there is out there for the mobile casual game market. Nintendo has a number of great puzzle IPs, with great minds to put them together. You'd figure they would throw something up for the eShop and other mobile stores. Appeal to your existing install-base, and reach into the bottomless gold bag that is the casual game market.

I understand why they don't put their long-standing, console-shipping IPs like Mario and Legend of Zelda onto other platforms. It's a smart business strategy. But that's all the more reason to field an IP that isn't as pivotal to the company. Panel de Pon in particular has a great aesthetic, it's user-friendly, and has a variety of ways to scale up with the user's ability to appeal to the enthusiast. Shame they won't have literally a team of like a dozen devs throw something together in less than a season's time.

Some companies just hate money. :4sonic:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If only we could just find some way to ask Nintendo once and for all, if they REALLY don't want to do ANYTHING with the fairies, or if they just haven't bothered with them for all these years.

D

Deleted member

Oh look, finally a proper hole for the lake, no point in having a crappy flat blue plane anymore. Same for the dirt part in the back, which is now 100% less flat.

The stage is not bad, there are a few things that may be improved, but it's by no way bad.
It is bad, no point in sugarcoating it. It's got a boring layout because I wanted to finally finish that thing. That's also why I never bothered to fix the graphical glitches, for example, all the hills in the background are tilted, because 3ds Max messed up when exporting.
The first thing that I can suggest you is to study a better color palette.
Looks like the main problem of the stage is just the color palette, not the stage itself; I would use softer colors and more emphasis on flowers.
I honestly think, the colors are the least of that stage's problems. More like, everything else but this. But more flowers is definitely something I've already planned.
Also, it would be nice to rearrange the elements in the background a bit in a way so they are more visible and less messy; for example, the ground on the left, is too much on the left, it's hard to see. I would move it closer to the center of the camera, if it's possible.
If you mean the small islands with messy, I did ask for suggestions in the past, but didn't really get any, besides to vary the heights of them. It is not easy to have them visible all at once with Smash's dynamic camera and that was the best I could manage.
As for the big chunk of land, no chance, sorry. Keep in mind, it's all the way at the skybox (partly in it already) and moving it more towards the middle would show that I only made that visible part. I could resize the skybox, but thal would look bad.

The rainbows probably should be transparent... like the one in the Kirby stage.
I actually did try that, but it doesn't work and just looks bad. It works for Kirby's rainbow because it goes more or less just straight up, unless the rainbows in my stage, which overlap in the back due to being more curved and horizontally. But I did intend to do something with them, because the rainbows look quite bad right now.
A fog system for the background may help a bit... and maybe, you could use these colors for the sky...
Fogs are finicky things. I still don't really understand why they sometimes work and sometimes don't. But if I should manage to add one, a slight pinkish hue won't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking that I would like the other fairies from Panel de Pon to be Lip's alts similarly to how the Koopalings are Bowser Jr.'s alts.

Maybe we should start asking Nintendo to bring the original Panel de Pon (with languages localized) to the Wii U eShop outside of Japan?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sometimes you don't need campaigns... just be a dedicated fan and ask them whenever appropriate. I didn't start a Duck Hunt campaign... and I don't think I was (that) annoying when I tweeted on Sakurai's Twitter once in a while during 2012 (I pretty much left him alone after January 2013). I always asked for Duck Hunt on Virtual Console whenever I was filling out Club Nintendo surveys and the questions asked me about how I like the VC service.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Oh look, finally a proper hole for the lake, no point in having a crappy flat blue plane anymore. Same for the dirt part in the back, which is now 100% less flat.

It is bad, no point in sugarcoating it. It's got a boring layout because I wanted to finally finish that thing. That's also why I never bothered to fix the graphical glitches, for example, all the hills in the background are tilted, because 3ds Max messed up when exporting.
I honestly think, the colors are the least of that stage's problems. More like, everything else but this. But more flowers is definitely something I've already planned.
If you mean the small islands with messy, I did ask for suggestions in the past, but didn't really get any, besides to vary the heights of them. It is not easy to have them visible all at once with Smash's dynamic camera and that was the best I could manage.
As for the big chunk of land, no chance, sorry. Keep in mind, it's all the way at the skybox (partly in it already) and moving it more towards the middle would show that I only made that visible part. I could resize the skybox, but thal would look bad.

I actually did try that, but it doesn't work and just looks bad. It works for Kirby's rainbow because it goes more or less just straight up, unless the rainbows in my stage, which overlap in the back due to being more curved and horizontally. But I did intend to do something with them, because the rainbows look quite bad right now.
Fogs are finicky things. I still don't really understand why they sometimes work and sometimes don't. But if I should manage to add one, a slight pinkish hue won't hurt.
I'm completely honest, I like the stage! The only thing that I don't like are the colors of it, the not much saturated sky paired with a much more saturated blue water, the purple/gray border of the floating island paired with a very saturated dark green of the grass, and the gray-ish flowers. But anyway, if you want to improve it it's a good thing.

I already had the overlapping rainbow issue in another game (this track is made by me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk715DOZnCc), I know what you're talking about, it's a bad thing unfortunatelly, and it can't be solved -.- unless you give a different shape to the rainbows, or invent a trick to bypass the problem, I don't know... there should be a solution.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone!

I had been lurking around to long again! It's nice that you all keep it up!

Yeah Panel de Pon 20th anniversary we really need a new PdP (and there we are again) with fairys and a story!

Today I played some Eventmatches in Smash Bros for Wii U and stumbled accros a Lip's Stick themed mission. I was highly sceptical from the very first second on ,where I was reading through the missiondescription and then... it had to happen! I was succesfull just to witness another punsh to face. The reward: A staff equipment-item with Lip's Stick modifier. That is something personal! Before Rosalina and Palutena was confirmed for SSB4 I thought: "Lip whould be THE first fighter with a staff/wand." But enough with whine and cheese for the sec ,now I need something sweet!

Lip's friends as alternate costumes I though about it also sometimes. My first "Mindboss" which I had to deal with was... you know it already; Kirby's had! Due to the lack of something which all fairys shares I had to... improvise! The "Circlet of the fairys" on the front Lip's sticks blossom (for not mistake a % draining flower) ,for the other fairys a badge arround the flower like a snowflake for Sharbet/Think ,a cresent moon for Seren/Sala and so on. You see ,Kirby should be pleased ,all he must do is calling his daddy and say a good word for Lip&Co.

That was it from me for the moment! Have a good time everyone!

LipFlare

Top Bottom