• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Realistically, as Lip fans, we probably need to make sure that the game is more well known. Fan games can help.

Cries for DLC will be drown in the storm. We can't expect to compete with the popularity kings or past veterans.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Realistically, as Lip fans, we probably need to make sure that the game is more well known. Fan games can help.

Cries for DLC will be drown in the storm. We can't expect to compete with the popularity kings or past veterans.
That's one of the reasons why I made my FYeahPanelDePon blog, as an outlet to spread the word about the series. It's... well, it's only been a modest success so far, but I'm not a quitter (and its #LipForSSB4DLC post has more notes than any of the other non-reblogged posts on the page... a whopping 9, lol).

Maybe if we all did something like that...?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I guess this means I should take the red filter off Lip in my sig. :p

One of the biggest ways we could show our support and let ourselves be heard is with some kind of collaborative project. I've got no idea what we could do, though, short of a fan game. Or maybe a mass-mailing campaign along the lines of the EB Siege (which didn't work).

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I was thinking about submitting a Miiverse drawing of Lip to help support her as a DLC candidate... so I sketched this thing up to help myself learn how to draw the character.

That hand of hers was like Satan... It was annoying to draw and yet I still hate it. If I'm ever going rework this sketch into a digital painting or something, I'm definitely reworking it first.

Attachments

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I can draw hands pretty well and I still sometimes have trouble with them, so I won't fault you for that. Besides the hand, and the fact that I think you made her eyes a bit too small, I don't see any outstanding flaws though!

Now that you bring it up, we could try a Miiverse campaign where we all make posts on the SSB4/possibly MK8 boards advocating Lip as DLC. I'm not sure what it would ultimately accomplish, besides (eventually) flooding the background of that Miiverse stage with drawings of our little fairy, but it would give me something to put up on F Yeah Panel de Pon Nintendo employees doubtlessly sweep the forums from time to time, so it's got to do something for our "cause". Remember to keep #LipForSSB4DLC in there somewhere, though.

(Maybe at some point we could convince them to make an animated series of PDP. They seem to be testing the waters with Pikmin...)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
A very happy early (Well, for me anyways) 19th birthday to Lip and the Panel de Pon franchise.

I hope she's a trophy at the very least, it would be a crime if she isn't considering Mac from Captain Rainbow is. DLC would be wonderful too, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
My #LipForSSB4DLC post now has 12 notes, although I'm not sure how many of those who reblogged are fully on board with the original goal.

How many of you are interested in the Miiverse campaign that got brought up earlier?

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I haven't been around here in a while. Hello! School has kept me pretty busy.

A very happy birthday to Panel de Pon today! Just one more year and the fairies will have hit the 20 milestone. I hope you all had fun swapping panels today to celebrate!

For this occasion, I made a collection of doodles based on the original fairies' vs mode sprites.

I will eventually color them individually when I have the time. But for now, happy anniversary! Let's keep pushing for Lip to get some representation in Smash! She deserves something. Even Prince Sable got in.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I haven't been around here in a while. Hello! School has kept me pretty busy.

A very happy birthday to Panel de Pon today! Just one more year and the fairies will have hit the 20 milestone. I hope you all had fun swapping panels today to celebrate!

For this occasion, I made a collection of doodles based on the original fairies' vs mode sprites.

I will eventually color them individually when I have the time. But for now, happy anniversary! Let's keep pushing for Lip to get some representation in Smash! She deserves something. Even Prince Sable got in.
Happy 19th birthday, Lip! You too, Fairy Friends! And all of Panel de Pon! I hope Lip can show up as DLC for SSB4! She (and the rest of her series) needs the recognition! Heck, if Takamaru and Prince Sable can have ANY sort of "major" role in Smash, I just KNOW she can too!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Happy 19th birthday, Lip! You too, Fairy Friends! And all of Panel de Pon! I hope Lip can show up as DLC for SSB4! She (and the rest of her series) needs the recognition! Heck, if Takamaru and Prince Sable can have ANY sort of "major" role in Smash, I just KNOW she can too!
...which only makes it weirder why Custom Robo and Golden Sun were cut, but I definitely think Lip is less obscure than Prince Sable. Takamaru not so much, he's been pretty well promoted by Nintendo lately by appearing in a variety of different scenarios.

Seriously, though, Lip should've been at least an Assist Trophy, honestly.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Panel de Pon is a console game, so there might be a Lip trophy in the game somewhere. Panel de Pon representation is probably going to be minimal with just item and possibly a trophy.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The thread was moved to the sm4sh character boards. Is that a step towards furthering the dream? lol
It really didn't need to be, it was fine where it was. SSB4 can be discussed in a general thread too.

I'm going to keep advocating Lip for DLC, but I won't get my hopes up after what happened last time.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Good to see you again, Panel De Poppers!

I'm going to keep advocating Lip for DLC, but I won't get my hopes up after what happened last time.
Same, when Sakurai stated that characters from franchises with no future are rarely chosen, that's a really big strike against Lip.

Smash 3DS lacks Panel De Pon content overall, i hope the the Wii U version has more of it. Would be so great to at least get a trophy of Lip.

Lip Amiibo would've been the greatest thing ever.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674

Hong

The Strongest
The thread was moved to the sm4sh character boards. Is that a step towards furthering the dream? lol
Not my doing, but I don't blame them. The OP still looked like a character support thread. :/

vZakat

Half Genie
Honestly I don't like the thread being moved either. I feel like I can't talk about general PDP things if it's in the character discussion section. :/

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Same, when Sakurai stated that characters from franchises with no future are rarely chosen, that's a really big strike against Lip.
Ice Climbers. Pit. Duck Hunt duo. Arguably Captain Falcon and Mega Man. Rarely, but certainly not never.

Heck, Duck Hunt has objectively less of a future than Panel de Pon. The fairy world/Popples is still prime real estate for world building and character development, and with a string of recent successes in female-centered entertainment (Tangled, My Little Pony, Brave, Frozen, Sailor Moon Crystal, et al.), Nintendo has only to gain by localizing/reviving it. Duck Hunt is a game where you Hunt Ducks. That's it.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ice Climbers. Pit. Duck Hunt duo. Arguably Captain Falcon and Mega Man. Rarely, but certainly not never.

Heck, Duck Hunt has objectively less of a future than Panel de Pon. The fairy world/Popples is still prime real estate for world building and character development, and with a string of recent successes in female-centered entertainment (Tangled, My Little Pony, Brave, Frozen, Sailor Moon Crystal, et al.), Nintendo has only to gain by localizing/reviving it. Duck Hunt is a game where you Hunt Ducks. That's it.
Now now, Pit has a future.

In 23 years maybe, but still it's coming. Don't know about the other guys though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
We really didn't need this to be moved. We can and do use this thread to talk about all the Puzzle League stuff we've loved in the past.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

I really like how this turned out personally.
(Click for the original post.)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
He didn't have one when Brawl was released. Pit had all of two games to his name, and Japan didn't even get one of them.
I was mostly joking, but yeah you have a point. Though Lip's major hurdle is her Japanese exclusivity. That's something the previous "retro characters" have over her.
Like Fal said, as Lip fans we need to expose the franchise more to people who may not know of it's existence.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ugh, Smashboards glitching recently has been messing up my Alerts. I log into the site, but it doesn't quite load, and it acts like I've already seen some alerts so they don't show up, and I miss checking the thread and because I didn't check the thread, I don't realize there's more posts. I'm positive this is the problem I keep having.

Anyway, gonna be spending a lot more time working on that engine this weekend. I had a bit of trouble with the wrapper engine I was using in the past, CanvasEngine, where I loaded a scene and it didn't work, and I couldn't find any documentation on it. I figured out, though, that a scene doesn't finish loading if images are set and they don't exist. And annoyingly, the RPG engine I was using before set images by default left and right; as I used this as a base it was causing problems when I just wanted to test opening up the Title scene.

I also found some puzzle game shapes online as well as windowskins, so if I can put some decent time into this I might actually have something to show this weekend. Fingers crossed! I'd like to at least create the framework and the actual puzzle grid.

Again, during the week I have work, in evenings I play some games and on weekends I try to work on some videos as well, so I don't have much time to work on it. Maybe I'll skip doing videos this weekend... even though I really want to get that K. Rool video done... :p

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
After watching the latest Nintendo Direct:

Okay. I cannot accept that they're giving Commander Video, a character from an indie game, a trophy in SSB4, but not Lip. I just can't. Why does Nintendo hate Panel de Pon so much?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Okay. I cannot accept that they're giving Commander Video, a character from an indie game, a trophy in SSB4, but not Lip. I just can't. Why does Nintendo hate Panel de Pon so much?
That's kind of ridiculous. I'm REALLY hoping they give us a Lip trophy (we haven't seen all the trophies for Smash Wii U yet). Just Lip would be nice.

Although, its not a matter of Nintendo hating Panel de Pon. Its a matter of Nintendo hating the fairies from Panel de Pon.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's the equivalent of a large family showing love, care, and attention to all of their children except one. They show more love to friends of the family and people they hardly know than to this kid, who they barely even acknowledge outside of occasional token gestures.

This family would be considered negligent. Don't we have every right, then, to be furious about the poor treatment of the series and its characters for ten years straight, and that's if you live in Japan?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's the equivalent of a large family showing love, care, and attention to all of their children except one. They show more love to friends of the family and people they hardly know than to this kid, who they barely even acknowledge outside of occasional token gestures.

This family would be considered negligent. Don't we have every right, then, to be furious about the poor treatment of the series and its characters for ten years straight, and that's if you live in Japan?
My point is, they didn't like the fairies so they cut the fairies from the franchise. Then because the fairies were cut, the games lost their appeal and didn't sell well, so because it didn't sell well, they stopped the franchise (hopefully just temporarily...). Its not that they hated Panel de Pon all-together. If a franchise doesn't sell well, it stops production. Unfortunately they didn't get their priorities straight and realize WHY the franchise started selling like crap... and they didn't even give the fairies a chance outside of Japan, which is extremely annoying...

We'd better get a Lip trophy...

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

I disagree, Commander Video appearing in Smash is incredibly amazing.

Lip has to be a trophy, Captain Rainbow has a usable model and we know "Little" Mac's appearance in that title is already a trophy. I think it's a safe bet she's that at the very least.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I disagree, Commander Video appearing in Smash is incredibly amazing.

Lip has to be a trophy, Captain Rainbow has a usable model and we know "Little" Mac's appearance in that title is already a trophy. I think it's a safe bet she's that at the very least.
I WAS confident that would be the case. Months ago I was 100% confident that we would, in fact, get a Lip trophy. Now I'm not so sure... However, Lip getting a trophy is the LEAST we should get. We've got ****ing Prince Sable, for crying out loud. Lip should be a trophy for sure, and I still think its fairly likely. But I'm no longer 100% confident in that happening, and it worries me a bit.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I WAS confident that would be the case. Months ago I was 100% confident that we would, in fact, get a Lip trophy. Now I'm not so sure... However, Lip getting a trophy is the LEAST we should get. We've got ****ing Prince Sable, for crying out loud. Lip should be a trophy for sure, and I still think its fairly likely. But I'm no longer 100% confident in that happening, and it worries me a bit.
Why is that? I never expected her to be on the 3DS version. I mean, Panel de Pon has historically been a Console-only franchise. On top of that, Captain Rainbow is a home console game. So since she's pretty home console focused, I think it makes sense for her to only be present on the Wii U version.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why is that? I never expected her to be on the 3DS version. I mean, Panel de Pon has historically been a Console-only franchise. On top of that, Captain Rainbow is a home console game. So since she's pretty home console focused, I think it makes sense for her to only be present on the Wii U version.
I do agree. I do think she's a lot more likely on console, but, I dunno, lack of anything Panel de Pon-related at all just has me a bit upset is all. I do agree, she'll most likely have a trophy.

EDIT: Actually I totally forgot about the fact that Captain Rainbow is 3D, and Fat Mac was from Captain Rainbow, so yeah, I'm back to thinking she basically will get a trophy in Smash Wii U. She's already got a model and everything.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I do agree. I do think she's a lot more likely on console, but, I dunno, lack of anything Panel de Pon-related at all just has me a bit upset is all. I do agree, she'll most likely have a trophy.

EDIT: Actually I totally forgot about the fact that Captain Rainbow is 3D, and Fat Mac was from Captain Rainbow, so yeah, I'm back to thinking she basically will get a trophy in Smash Wii U. She's already got a model and everything.
She'd better be a trophy at least on SSB for Wii U.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If we get Fat Mac and not Lip... -_-
This is exactly what I'm expecting, honestly. Judging by Nintendo's track record with the Panel de Pon characters, I'm not sure whether this makes me a pessimist or a realist.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Maybe, just MAYBE this could be a trend...? Maybe they could start, I dunno, porting OTHER Panel de Pon games? Of course the only one they're putting on VC right now is Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, but, well, at least they're ACKNOWLEDGING Panel de Pon for a change. Now if only they'd re-release Tetris Attack... oh, wait, they probably can't because they used a bad name. Maybe they could, well, port the original Panel de Pon?

...nah......

Top Bottom