• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac N' Jump- A Trampoline Tricks/Techniques Guide

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Hello Everyone! I'm Pacman9, or EquinoXYZ in-game.
This purpose of this thread is to bring out the full potential of one of pac-man's greatest and most unique moves...
The Mappy Trampoline!

ssb4-pac-man-trailer-6.jpg

I want us to be able to use our creativity and combined brain power to brainstorm ideas for ways to use the trampoline to our advantage.

Together we will be able to bring pac-man's metagame into the future by mastering the trampoline, like mappy himself!
Mappything.png

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Trampoline, while not as versatile as hydrant, has quite a few interesting uses. Generally speaking, it is more about stage control then offensive ability when comparing the two.

Edge control - Trampoline is a great way to control players that prefer to sweet spot the ledge. regardless of the recovery. A properly spaced trampoline will launch them up. Allowing follow ups for Pac-man. even following them up the trampoline himself and hitting that way.

Stage control - Need a breather from that highly aggressive little mac? Up-B! This forces aggressive ground players to come from the air, where Pac-man is his strongest in my opinion. It also forces the player to react to it if they wish to get to Pac-man. A poorly placed roll and up they go. You can also use it to keep people near you on the stage. They roll behind, they get bounced.

Side B mind games - If you end Side B on it, you will launch. While this is of questionable worth. You can use it to condition the player to open themselves up to a side B, by using short Side-B's to frame an laggy aerial attack they may see it as an opening and you can then use side B another time fully to go past the trampoline when they move to intercept you.

Edge Guard tool - This one is very dangerous, mess up, or they use all your bounces and you are dead. You know they prefer to airdodge? Up-B! Force them into a position where they will recover higher then you prefer. Also when the trampoline is red that "bounce" will put anyone into a helpless fall. So you can end otherwise great recovery from the player if you are able to quickly trigger red, and they do not know better. You can also technically throw them into a red trampoline to end them as well, but this is more difficult because of how short Up-B sticks around. It is a poor option, but it is an option

Anti shield/spotdodge -Trampoline by the very naure of the attack cannot be shielded or spot dodged when used under them. This cannot be spammed as you open yourself to grabs if you take too long. You can also speed boost your run with hydrant and use it as a mixup.

It would be more potent if it stuck around just a smidgen longer.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Trampoline is quite useful in 2v2 as well since your teammate can use it to recover.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
It's also a good OoS option, especially if you get 2 bounces at the same time. Then it's just one bounce away from being red and ready to cause a laggy landing (default) or burying (meteor trampoline).

BSP

Smash Legend
How about we make a list of MUs where Trampoline is pivotal and makes a huge difference, a list for where it is ok, but shouldn't be the main focus of the match, and a list where the trampoline won't bother the opponent too much (although it will always catch rolls and spotdodges, so it always has a use).

Little Mac would be one one the MUs where it's pivotal obviously.
Sonic too.
Maybe ganon?

HakujouOokami

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eclipsebound
3DS FC
3067-6855-9323
I find that the Trampoline can also be a good option for Diddy too since Diddy likes to get you above him. But if you're above Diddy, he doesn't have all that great of options to attack. Hmm.. Marth/Lucina seem to be great at Trampolining too but not as much as say Sonic or Little Mac. Usually you can go an entire match and probably only use it once.

Wario: Definitely.

DK: I would say yes but some of his aerials kind of out-prioritize yours so that's kind of a "be wary" tactic. If you can get him to Ook-copter out of your range, I think we should be good.

Bowser: Tends to abuse the ability to bounce tremendously in their favor with the Bowser Bomb. It's doable however you can't go in as soon as they are in the air cause a good Bowser will twerk his ass so hard on your head and that doesn't look good for us at all.

Yoshi: See above for same reasons but Yoshi bum.

Captain Falcon: I've seen fights go from "BS fast" to "tolerable stop sign" in no time flat with the trampoline. As Falcon loves to speed across the stage, having him in the air where his abilities are pretty mediocre at best, that gives us all the time in the world to punish him for his speeding.

Sheik: I've only used the Trampoline on Sheik every so often. Sheik is sadly the right kind of speed that throws us off guard with the constant aerials so I wouldn't say it's really recommended. Punishing is usually key towards this fight but you won't see Sheik much on the ground at all to consider it punishable.

Rosalina: No, no, no, no, no, no. It hurts to know that the Luma gives her added protection and having a Trampoline dropped won't help the situation any further. Ranged or Up close, she'll be balls deep into you so that's kind of a negative on our part.

Pretty much anyone with a good ranged game will not affect the Trampoline's ability to trip them up AT ALL. Anyone with better aerials than you.. Eh, you can play to read their moves and go in for the kill but ground game; go crazy, my quarantined Pac friends.

HakujouOokami

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eclipsebound
3DS FC
3067-6855-9323
One hilarious little tidbit I've learned through my For Glory matches, Villager can pocket the Trampoline so that might spell horrors on a rare simulated chance where Villager pockets the Trampoline if you are out of range of the ledge. I have never seen that happened but I would be dumbfounded to even have that happen to me..

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
One hilarious little tidbit I've learned through my For Glory matches, Villager can pocket the Trampoline so that might spell horrors on a rare simulated chance where Villager pockets the Trampoline if you are out of range of the ledge. I have never seen that happened but I would be dumbfounded to even have that happen to me..
That's...that's brutal. If that happened to me, I'd probably put my controller down, walk away, look in the mirror, and question my entire life...I don't handle things well.

That's actually really good to know, though. I've been using Villager as a secondary, but I've never really fought a Pac-Man long enough to try and pocket the trampoline. That tactic is incredibly devious.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm really feeling the changes in trampoline that 1.0.4 brought and I have to say I'm not a fan. It's a lot less safe than it used to be, and I preferred to have my enemies shot up into the air so I would have plenty of time to pressure their landing.

Be wary about the trampoline with Yoshi. If you're not going to hit him, I wouldn't suggest using one unless there's a lot of distance between the two of you because he can chase you down pretty quickly. If you're going to hit him with it, make sure he's at higher percents, because the nerfed bounce trampoline gives opponents means he can just fall towards and be in your face with his ridiculous jabs and tilts.

HakujouOokami

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eclipsebound
3DS FC
3067-6855-9323
The Trampoline is not too bad actually. To have them be tossed up by the Trampoline a short distance only makes the read a little easier cause you now know what they are capable of doing. It's a silly nerf but actually, it can be more beneficial to us than having them lifted higher than we can go. Short Hop UAir or Nair is usually a good read for those situations. Or just don't move and wait for them to come to you.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Favorite use of trampoline:

Dash attack, and then immediately upB. Since dash attack for pacman has virtually no endlag, it comes out before they can grab him. If they don't shield, you can fastfall as they will be launched into the air higher than you, then you can chase em or juggle. And if they sheild, trampoline will send them flying anyway...XP

if they roll back or forward and it misses, upB will bail you outta there, and it often sends you far back enough that only the faster characters would be able to punish you XD

its unpunishable, no? XD

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
After learning that meteor trampoline spikes opponents underneath when you jump on it, I think the metor trampoline is a great way to destroy anyone trying to recover low if we time it right. Just make sure to use it close to the ledge. You don't get much recovery from it.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
I was just thinking about the potential of the trampoline today and looked up for a thread about this! It is nice to know that others are discovering the sweet tactical recover technique. XD I also love how the Hydrant, when taking a hit from the opponent, can stale out their repeated move use.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
After learning that meteor trampoline spikes opponents underneath when you jump on it, I think the metor trampoline is a great way to destroy anyone trying to recover low if we time it right. Just make sure to use it close to the ledge. You don't get much recovery from it.
Run of the edge and immediately use Up B and if you've done it right, the opponent is spiked.

Or footstool -> Up B. That one is deadly too

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Another good use of the trampoline is for mindgames with the grab. If you are trying to go for a grab, try to do it with a trampoline set safely behind you. This way, if they try to roll behind you, they get forced into the air where they can be punished.

Also, I've been thinking about ways to really mess with the opponent. I sometimes leave the trampoline off stage when the opponent is trying to recover, as a distraction so that they try to aim for the trampoline. If they waste a recovery move trying to reach it or just put themselves in any bad situation just to try and snag an easier recovery, use up B again to steal the trampoline and watch their hopes and dreams crumble.

Lastly, has anyone thought about leaving a red trampoline right in front of the ledge or on the stage by the ledge? If the opponent lands on it in front of the ledge while they're offstage, they fall to their death. If they get up off of the ledge while the trampoline is on the stage right in front of the ledge, they stumble, ready for us to punish.
This gets even NASTIER with the meteor trampoline :demon:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Another good use of the trampoline is for mindgames with the grab. If you are trying to go for a grab, try to do it with a trampoline set safely behind you. This way, if they try to roll behind you, they get forced into the air where they can be punished.

Also, I've been thinking about ways to really mess with the opponent. I sometimes leave the trampoline off stage when the opponent is trying to recover, as a distraction so that they try to aim for the trampoline. If they waste a recovery move trying to reach it or just put themselves in any bad situation just to try and snag an easier recovery, use up B again to steal the trampoline and watch their hopes and dreams crumble.

Lastly, has anyone thought about leaving a red trampoline right in front of the ledge or on the stage by the ledge? If the opponent lands on it in front of the ledge while they're offstage, they fall to their death. If they get up off of the ledge while the trampoline is on the stage right in front of the ledge, they stumble, ready for us to punish.
This gets even NASTIER with the meteor trampoline :demon:
If a person wanted to use the trampoline for recovering
that much, weren't they not going to make it back anyway?
And even if they could, most people know to avoid a trap
that Pac is ready to spring (could be helpful for teammates, though!)

As for leaving red trampolines, they just take so long to set up
(at least for the default which has you go higher with each bounce).
Wouldn't leaving a non-red trampoline make them more vulnerable on-stage
by jumping instead of a free-fall landing? (Except for Lucario).

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If a person wanted to use the trampoline for recovering
that much, weren't they not going to make it back anyway?
And even if they could, most people know to avoid a trap
that Pac is ready to spring (could be helpful for teammates, though!)

As for leaving red trampolines, they just take so long to set up
(at least for the default which has you go higher with each bounce).
Wouldn't leaving a non-red trampoline make them more vulnerable on-stage
by jumping instead of a free-fall landing? (Except for Lucario).
For the first one, you're correct. I was just hoping that the opponent would take the bait.
But, for the red trampoline on stage, I meant putting it close to the ledge so that the opponent is forced to land on it while getting back on the stage. With the meteor trampoline, this gives us a free punish because they'll be automatically buried.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Hey Pacman9! I have had successful set-ups. When a player is meteor smash heavy reliant, I would get a trampoline to yellow, they would smash me down, and I would fly back up. 2/3rd of the time, they would not have enough time to recover from the move and would hit dead by the red. haha.

Also for no reason other than for fun, when the opponent is off-screen, I just use my recover attack them. Comical results, but I update the page, if I find something reliably tasty.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well I just tested the trampoline ledge trap with the meteor trampoline and let me tell you...It's amazing!
The opponent can't return to the stage in any safe way. The red trampoline buries them if they try to ledge attack, roll up from the ledge, or jump up off of the ledge. The opponent is forced to die to a back air gimp, or get buried and have their face broken by a fully charged blinky.
They can try to drop from the ledge and recover over the ledge, but this leaves them vulnerable as well, and can get them punished in the air or when they land.
This. Is. Game. Changing!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well I just tested the trampoline ledge trap with the meteor trampoline and let me tell you...It's amazing!
The opponent can't return to the stage in any safe way. The red trampoline buries them if they try to ledge attack, roll up from the ledge, or jump up off of the ledge. The opponent is forced to die to a back air gimp, or get buried and have their face broken by a fully charged blinky.
They can try to drop from the ledge and recover over the ledge, but this leaves them vulnerable as well, and can get them punished in the air or when they land.
This. Is. Game. Changing!
Well, if customs are allowed at any rate...

Edit: You could always use default non-red combined with
bells to trap them instead.

That's what I love so much about Pac-Man: he has so many
tools that can be used in creative ways, especially the fruit.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
We have our own form of rush cancel. The trampoline can be activated during multi hit moves to allow us to escape early. Just mash up B during a multi hit move, and you should be able to escape. This can even get us out of grabs during the first frames of it

PacDaddy

Smash Rookie
I encourage you guys to check out some of the videos our resident BSP has posted in the video thread, he makes really good use of trampoline. It wasn't till I watched a couple of his series that I realized how good of an offensive tool trampoline can be as well.

Trampoline has so many uses, it's absurd.
1. As a recovery tool
2. As a defensive, get the hell off me tool
3. As a spacing, **** you capt. falcon tool
4. As an offensive, shield punishing tool
5. As an edge guarding, mind-game tool

Yeah... it's pretty good.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I encourage you guys to check out some of the videos our resident BSP has posted in the video thread, he makes really good use of trampoline. It wasn't till I watched a couple of his series that I realized how good of an offensive tool trampoline can be as well.

1. As a recovery tool

6. Dang, that Dash Attack wasn't good on shield. EJECT BUTTON! BACK TO DRAWING BOARD!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So, found something you guys might find useful.
This edge guard is unfair and works with default moves.

Set a hydrant close to the ledge as the opponent is starting to come back. Set the trampoline next to it in such a way that your UpB hits the hydrant and is between the hydrant and the ledge. Fall back on the trampoline a second time to launch the hydrant; it will bounce backwards towards the ledge while the trampoline remains in front of the ledge. Any ledge option except a ledgedrop will hit the trampoline which will combo into the hydrant (Ledge jumping misses the trampoline but hits the hydrant). If you happen to have the bell or a fruit in hand at this point then you can cover the ledge drop as well and force them to get hit by something.

Even if you don't have a fruit ready. this basically forces the opponent to either give up ledge invincibility by redropping and grabbing the ledge again in order to avoid the deadly trampoline/hydrant combo.

Sadly this does not work with Meteor trampoline. I don't know if this works with the fire spitting hydrant as I don't have that custom unlocked yet (Haven't bothered with customs much as I don't expect them to become tournament standard, nor do I think they should be).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Set a hydrant close to the ledge as the opponent is starting to come back. Set the trampoline next to it in such a way that your UpB hits the hydrant and is between the hydrant and the ledge. Fall back on the trampoline a second time to launch the hydrant; it will bounce backwards towards the ledge while the trampoline remains in front of the ledge. Any ledge option except a ledgedrop will hit the trampoline which will combo into the hydrant (Ledge jumping misses the trampoline but hits the hydrant). If you happen to have the bell or a fruit in hand at this point then you can cover the ledge drop as well and force them to get hit by something.

Even if you don't have a fruit ready. this basically forces the opponent to either give up ledge invincibility by redropping and grabbing the ledge again in order to avoid the deadly trampoline/hydrant combo.

Sadly this does not work with Meteor trampoline. I don't know if this works with the fire spitting hydrant as I don't have that custom unlocked yet (Haven't bothered with customs much as I don't expect them to become tournament standard, nor do I think they should be).
It can be done with Meteor.
Just drop the Tramp on top of the Hydrant and it will work more or less the same.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It can be done with Meteor.
Just drop the Tramp on top of the Hydrant and it will work more or less the same.
Except that now they can roll through it or even get up and shield since there's no grounded trampoline to knock them out of their invincible options.

BSP

Smash Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aFLc7-q2tI

I would imagine it works with On-Fire Hydrant too, and actually even better since OFH does more damage. However, you have to be quick because an error means you get blasted by the flames.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thank you! I was actually going to post that the way you did it (Bair>UpB) was more effective than what I'd posted yesterday. Really glad to see a video of it in action!

On a side note, if you do this on battlefield, the platform allows you to recover fast enough to go behind them and drop down with a Bair while the hydrant is still bouncing to cover the ledge drop option as well.

Also on Battlefield, if you do this directly under a low platform then the hydrant will bounce in place on that platform. It will look like it's just rolling in place and be just an active hitbox/barrier. Between that and the trampoline under it, you're pretty much guaranteed time to charge whatever fruit you want.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend

1. As a recovery tool

This falls under recovery, but I think it's worth mentioning that Pac-Man is completely meteor-proof as long as he has a non red trampoline under him.

Otherwise, yes. Trampoline is a broken move.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
How to make a trampoline red faster by the ledge:

Use it under it, hold down to ignore the ledge, grab it with the second bounce, then ledge drop to bounce safely on stage and leave a red trampoline out.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Red meteor trampoline is really dangerous... But it is downright stupid with the freaky strawberry. It pulls opponents into it, giving you a free punish.
Also, always have a trampoline in front of your hydrant when fighting a close range brawler like falcon. He will not be able to break it, and will be forced to jump. With the default hydrant, the water can push opponents into a red meteor trampoline, and with the on fire trampoline, the opponent has to try really hard to get around it when a trampoline is guarding it.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Red meteor trampoline is really dangerous... But it is downright stupid with the freaky strawberry. It pulls opponents into it, giving you a free punish.
Also, always have a trampoline in front of your hydrant when fighting a close range brawler like falcon. He will not be able to break it, and will be forced to jump. With the default hydrant, the water can push opponents into a red meteor trampoline, and with the on fire trampoline, the opponent has to try really hard to get around it when a trampoline is guarding it.
On-Fire Hydrant + Red Meteor Trampoline + Freaky Strawberry = Top Tier.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
We should note that the trampoline can be placed under the spawn plate to mess up the opponents approach out of spawn. If they are star ko'd or screen ko'd we can try for a red trampoline, and force the opponent into special fall that we can punish hard on landing.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Question: Does the Power Pac-Jump custom trampoline still bounce people for the
very short time that it stays?

Top Bottom