• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Why is everyone so obsessed with nerfing Sheik?
Well she is clearly a step above every other character, but admittedly not a huge step above. She is nowhere near Brawl MK, but she is still the obvious best character.
We are now playing a game where patches are a luxury afforded to us. Nerfing Shiek, although hopefully only slightly, makes sense.
I'm also hoping a few of the really terrible characters like Little Mac and Mewtwo get a bit of love too.

We are in an era where while perfect balance may not be a realistically achievable goal, we can still get damn close to it.

BTW I'm probably one of the few people here who doesn't hate fighting Shiek. Playing low/bottom tiers for so long has taught me to adapt and try to overcome bad MUs. Doesn't mean I can't see that she is a problem and dominating the metagame.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well she is clearly a step above every other character, but admittedly not a huge step above. She is nowhere near Brawl MK, but she is still the obvious best character.
We are now playing a game where patches are a luxury afforded to us. Nerfing Shiek, although hopefully only slightly, makes sense.
I'm also hoping a few of the really terrible characters like Little Mac and Mewtwo get a bit of love too.

We are in an era where while perfect balance may not be a realistically achievable goal, we can still get damn close to it.

BTW I'm probably one of the few people here who doesn't hate fighting Shiek. Playing low/bottom tiers for so long has taught me to adapt and try to overcome bad MUs. Doesn't mean I can't see that she is a problem and dominating the metagame.
Oh I don't hate it (unless I'm using mega man, but I'm a full time pacman main now)
I was the only advocate for people to steer away from secondaries and try to come up with ways to fight her. We don't need a secondary for anyone.

It's just that I know that she is a cut above the rest .

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, there isn't much you can do besides lay down trampolines and try your best to keep her out. Short of a patch, she'll remain our worse MU IMO.

She doesn't t need to be nerfed.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I timed out a sonic yesterday, that mu isnt easy but it is doable.

Im picking up wario as a secomdary because he does fairly well against sheik and rosalina. I dont have huge problems with rosalina at all but being i want to get pac-man the highest i can it may force me to switch out. Ill play pac game 1 and if i win ill keep him, lose ill switch out to wario. Honestly out bad Mu's are bad but their not terrible like other characters, personally i think if we all start focusing on habits of other players we will be top soon enough. I say this because pac is to be played essentially like his arcade game.. Anyone who did exceptionally well in the pac-man arcade game, you use your tools the power pellet (in our case , our specials) sparingly such as our tricks to really succeed in that game youd have to study the ghost movement and keep in mind.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Idk why you're asing for slightly. I want Sheik nerfered to death. I want the new Shiek to be a shell of her former self completely unrecognizable to her previous form.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
@ M Maziyah You heading out to anything this weekend? If not then I'm just gonna go to Smash Island.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
@ M Maziyah You heading out to anything this weekend? If not then I'm just gonna go to Smash Island.
I never been to smash island, i would go to smash quest but I got orientation at Albany in the morning so i rather sleep early. The following week i might go. Smash attack is gonna be in 2-3 weeks tho so im looking forward to that lol

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Similar to pre patched Diddy she is ruining the game. Characters that polarizing shouldn't exist.
Not only do I disagree to a certain extent with that statement, but also why would you need to demolish the character regardless? All you need to do is make her less polarizing, not nerf her into unviability.

The slight nerf I wish for would actually affect her a lot. A full body hurtbox on bouncing fish would mean that she can no longer use it to go straight through edgeguard and projectile attemps, forcing her to respect those situations across the board.

A full body hurtbox on Fair (Minus her arm; don't want to make the move completely useless) would allow it to trade or lose to other aerials, making it much riskier to just throw out against any character with more range or damage. This would force her to actually work her way in instead of winning the neutral for free, while still rewarding her when she does make it in.

A full body hurtbox on Nair makes it so she can't use that to beat out Uairs and Usmashes, making her have to actually work to get back to the ground. Between bouncing fish and B-reversed needle cancels, she's not helpless getting back to the ground, but it does make it so she won't beat you out if you successfully read and tried to punish her landing.
Her Nair would still also function as a combo breaker and combo ender, so it still has uses.

A full body hurtbox on Usmash isn't nearly as important, but it would be nice to not get punished for hitting her toes. This one would just cure some of my personal salt.

These changes may not seem like much, but they would severely affect a lot of matchups without drastically nerfing the character or changing how she plays.

ROB is walling her out with projectiles and Fairs? Hey, Bouncing Fish and Fair no longer go through laser and ROB's Fair for free!
Sword characters no longer lose to Fair.
Trading Fair with something like Ryu's aerials would be a huge disadvantage for Shiek, meaning she can't just sit there out-spacing him.
Could no longer punish charge shots or megaman Fsmashes on reaction with bouncing fish since you no longer go through them.

The list goes on. I know it won't happen, because Nintendo prefers to just change numbers around, but this could fix the character.

IDK... I've thought a lot about ways to fix some characters that need more than just a numbers tweak *cough* Ike *cough*, but sadly those changes are probably never happening.

BSP

Smash Legend
Actually went out of town for once in quite a while for a tournament yesterday. I got 3rd in teams (seems to be a trend...) and 4th in singles, which is also starting to become a trend for larger La tournaments.

Same stuff as usual in doubles. I went Mario, did alright with some clutch victories in 2 v 1's.

Singles was rocky. I didn't perform as well as I expected. Either I wasn't on my A game, or everyone's getting better faster than me. Went Mario vs. Roy for game 3 to barely win. My singles MU experience with Roy is near non-existent, but my games with Pac-Man were too close for my comfort.

After that, I managed to beat a Rosalina with Pac-Man in bracket, so that was nice. I'm confident with the 60:40 ratio. GP doesn't shut us down since healing on reaction is easy + a defensive Rosalina gives us valuable time, but contesting Luma and Rosalina's galaxies / halos in general is quite a pain.

After that I lost to peach in winner's semi's, going all Mario. I still have my usual johns of my Mario being rusty due to focusing on Pac-Man, but I think he has a better shot in the MU. Thinking back, I could've been more proactive in the MU with Fair to mess up Peach's floating game, but I feel like the risk/reward in the MU is in her favor quite a bit, and I still have KO'ing trouble while she doesn't.

So as of now, I'm 0-1 or worse with La's best players + Brawlman, which means I need to step it up because I think I'm on their level.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So I said this months ago, then forgot about it, but holding onto a bell when you have the opponent at kill % is super legit.
Item toss is one of the fastest things you can do OoS (Using the shieldgrab input) and as such bell allows you to punish a LOT of moves on block, even some that we normally couldn't, with a kill confirm.

Also, good god mayflash adapters need to be banned from tournaments. I have heard many horror stories about them and witnessed a few myself, but only really experienced it myself this weekend, when my B button would randomly be counted as multiple button presses when pressed once. This led to fruit charge/cancels turning into random fruit tosses, and Pacman occasionally trying to throw the hydrant in place multiple times, leaving me open for punishes.

Please for the love of god, no more mayflashes! Mayflash adapters sucked for PS3/360, they suck for WiiU, and they will probably also suck for PS4/XB1.
Mayflash: Just say no.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
I posted my results from a recent tournament in the other thread but I thought you guys might want in on a little story. So I placed 3rd at a local tournament (dang my results are going down from 1st to 2nd to 3rd). But my issue wasn't where I placed, it's how the events transpired, so sit down and indulge in this story of mine.

So a bit of history, I placed 2nd at the last tournament that was thrown and lost to an Olimar player by the name of ImHip. The TO assured us he would seed us and my internet was spotty so I couldn't check the challonge bracket but I figured he should've already learned how to since he ran a couple more and observed others. Boy was I wrong. It was a simple matter of placing us on the opposite ends of the bracket but somehow he couldn't even manage that. The Olimar player and I played in the 2nd round to the surprise of both of us and I ended up losing.

So I'm a little annoyed but I manage to 2-0 everyone as I blazed my way through losers. Then an unexpected twist happens. During one of my matches, this older fellow who we thought was just a customer intrigued by the setups asks us what we were doing. We told him we were in a video game tournament and he curiously examines the gamepad and puts it down. A few minutes later, while still in my match, the guy grabs one of the gamepads on the table and quickly runs out of the store. Me and the guy playing were the closest to the door and we try to give chase but he manages to lose us by running across the street and we were unfortunately stopped by the flow of traffic. After a few blocks of chasing where we think he went and calling the cops and giving our testimonies, we head back to the venue to finish our games. I win and end up going to losers final after a few more games.

So I win the first game against my opponent with nothing too spectacular to talk about. Second game I have a commanding lead on Dream Land 64. He was Mewtwo at 130% on his last stock and I was on my last stock at 10%. I have a tendency to charge my fruit off stage and that's what I end up doing. But as I jumped off, I hear this cracking sound as my Pacman slowly descends to his death. My control stick broke and was completely unusable and just gave this guy an undeserved 1-1 tie. At this point, I honestly lost a lot of my focus and ended up losing 2-3. I'm so disappointed and tired from all the events that transpired at this tournament...

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Honestly, there isn't much you can do besides lay down trampolines and try your best to keep her out. Short of a patch, she'll remain our worse MU IMO.

She doesn't t need to be nerfed.
Zage?
Heyyy!

I hope you don't mind me askin' but did ya happen to be playing online tonight?
I fought some pretty good pacman for 5 games online with the same name. I go by the tag "PAD."

I think I could fight this character for ever and probably never figure out all his set ups...

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Zage?
Heyyy!

I hope you don't mind me askin' but did ya happen to be playing online tonight?
I fought some pretty good pacman for 5 games online with the same name. I go by the tag "PAD."

I think I could fight this character for ever and probably never figure out all his set ups...
Haha yeah, I remember your tag, those aura sphere > u-smash combos had me on the ropes. I didn't get a chance to switch my tag to thank you for the games, but good games!

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Anyone here experimented with Perfect Pivoting ? Im working on the best applications with it for pac-man, So far ive done ( was done on left side of the stage) perfect pivot back to turn to the right and b-reverse bell !

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
COMMUNITY QUESTION

So, what would you guys think of a Match-Up Video competition of sorts? I would like to have a section in my video thread where we only show the best matches we've got with each SSB4 character, but I don't want to be responsible for deciding what makes a match best. Here's how I thought it could work...

* I'll start with the Match-Up (such as Pac-Man vs Diddy Kong)
* All previously submitted videos of that match-up will be automatically entered into the contest
* New videos can be submitted until a specified date
* Soon after, voting will begin
* Once voting is complete the winning video(s) will be entered into the "Hall of Fame"

A couple things that I think could make this a fun and worthwhile contest:

* We have 300+ videos now which could make it a little overwhelming to someone trying to find that one great video right away (we all know that many of our matches here are of us not at our best).
* This will also help us to see just how good/bad a match-up likely is and how little experience we have in a given match-up in this community.
* If the contest goes on for long enough we could eventually come full circle and see how far we've come in our match-ups.

Anyways, let me know what ya'll think, ok? If you like the idea I may need some help running the contests from time-to-time, if you don't like the idea then I guess I wouldn't need that help.

CostLow UPDATE

On 3 July, 2015 my wife gave birth to two beautiful baby girls named Pearl and Cora. This comes less than two months after moving from Germany to Georgia, so needless to say we were a little overwhelmed for a while. My life has never been busier or more sleep deprived but I'm absolutely loving it. These little girls are the best thing to ever happen to me. With that said, my wife wants me to keep trying to carve out a little me time for my hobbies so I do still have a little time to play SSB4, update my couple threads on smashboards, and keep up my gym-rat status. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm finally back to my old Pac-Man obsessing ways.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
COMMUNITY QUESTION

So, what would you guys think of a Match-Up Video competition of sorts? I would like to have a section in my video thread where we only show the best matches we've got with each SSB4 character, but I don't want to be responsible for deciding what makes a match best. Here's how I thought it could work...

* I'll start with the Match-Up (such as Pac-Man vs Diddy Kong)
* All previously submitted videos of that match-up will be automatically entered into the contest
* New videos can be submitted until a specified date
* Soon after, voting will begin
* Once voting is complete the winning video(s) will be entered into the "Hall of Fame"

A couple things that I think could make this a fun and worthwhile contest:

* We have 300+ videos now which could make it a little overwhelming to someone trying to find that one great video right away (we all know that many of our matches here are of us not at our best).
* This will also help us to see just how good/bad a match-up likely is and how little experience we have in a given match-up in this community.
* If the contest goes on for long enough we could eventually come full circle and see how far we've come in our match-ups.

Anyways, let me know what ya'll think, ok? If you like the idea I may need some help running the contests from time-to-time, if you don't like the idea then I guess I wouldn't need that help.
That sounds like an awesome idea! I'm all for it.
CostLow UPDATE

On 3 July, 2015 my wife gave birth to two beautiful baby girls named Pearl and Cora. This comes less than two months after moving from Germany to Georgia, so needless to say we were a little overwhelmed for a while. My life has never been busier or more sleep deprived but I'm absolutely loving it. These little girls are the best thing to ever happen to me. With that said, my wife wants me to keep trying to carve out a little me time for my hobbies so I do still have a little time to play SSB4, update my couple threads on smashboards, and keep up my gym-rat status. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm finally back to my old Pac-Man obsessing ways.

That is truly beautiful dude. I wish you nothing but continued happiness in your new chapter of life.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I just wanted to hop in here and say congrats to @ Froggy Froggy for getting 4th yesterday. Good stuff!
Awww thanks man.
Are you going to Sktar? If so I'd really like for us to team. I think I may actually enjoy teams with customs off.

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Awww thanks man.
Are you going to Sktar? If so I'd really like for us to team. I think I may actually enjoy teams with customs off.
Yeah, I'm planning on going to Sktar. Already signed up! But I haven't signed up for doubles, so...

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Yeah, I'm planning on going to Sktar. Already signed up! But I haven't signed up for doubles, so...
Well the deadline for doubles hasn't ended, is it something you'd want to participate in?

Got 9th at a 27 man tourney yesterday. Not happy with my performance. I lost to NinjaLink in winners. And in losers I lost to a Pikachu player.

That matchup is so much harer with customs off. I don't have my on-fire hydrant to dissuade him from Up-bing into me whenever he wants. And where I has had previously wanted flat stages to fight against him, now I need platforms to stop him. I have to relearn a lot of matchups in a non-custom environment, it's like half of what I ha learn up until now is useless. It's tedious.

Also I'm realizing that Zelda is a problem matchup for Pacman.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Honestly, not really. I'm pretty crappy at doubles. Plus, I'm not sure if Greninja is good for teams anyway?
Ok, in any case its looking like i may not be going to Sktar anyways. I'm likely to move out of tri-state.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
We need a social thread. We're one of the few character boards without one.

BSP

Smash Legend
We need a social thread. We're one of the few character boards without one.
I thought "general" encompassed social. We tend to talk about pretty much anything in this thread.

At our local weekly yesterday, I took third after losing to Brawlman in WFs and Craig (Rosalina) in LFs. Johns aside, this puts me 0-3 or something in tournmanet against Brawlman, so I'm not sure how some of you are getting that we beat Sonic. It could just be me, but Brawlman's getting to the point where grab is way too risky to throw out. I have to rely on chip damage with trampoline and aerials + play the really long waiting game. We went 3-1 btw. When I got the first KO in game 1, I snowballed a lead and took the game solidly. Every game after that he won, but they were all super close and could've gone either way. Still, boring as heck to play. Very possible for Pac-Man to win, but very frustrating too.

Craig's games with me are usually close, so it's no real shocker that I lost. Still standing by 60:40 Rosalina for that MU. IDK if I'll keep doing it though, because playing the long game every single time is pretty draining. My main complaint with Mario in that MU is landing and getting back on the stage, but I guess 90% of the cast has that problem with Rosalina.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I thought "general" encompassed social. We tend to talk about pretty much anything in this thread.
Since when? This is a Pacman general thread. Almost everything that's discussed in here are things that are at least vaugely related to Pacman

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy

At our local weekly yesterday, I took third after losing to Brawlman in WFs and Craig (Rosalina) in LFs. Johns aside, this puts me 0-3 or something in tournmanet against Brawlman, so I'm not sure how some of you are getting that we beat Sonic. It could just be me, but Brawlman's getting to the point where grab is way too risky to throw out. I have to rely on chip damage with trampoline and aerials + play the really long waiting game. We went 3-1 btw. When I got the first KO in game 1, I snowballed a lead and took the game solidly. Every game after that he won, but they were all super close and could've gone either way. Still, boring as heck to play. Very possible for Pac-Man to win, but very frustrating too.
I don't know about beat Sonic, but it's a doable match up from what I've played. Just play super lame. Toss out trampolines to hinder spindash movement or up B when sonic spindashes into your shield. Also, since Sonic can't really kill with throws until decently high percentages, I like to sit in shield rather than take a spindash into aerial/footstool stuff. Also, I rarely grab since I still believe Pacman's grab is way too bad to use unless you have a clear situation where you'll land it. I'd rather just run in and up B instead rather than risk that laggy animation if I don't think the grab will hit for sure.

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't know about beat Sonic, but it's a doable match up from what I've played. Just play super lame. Toss out trampolines to hinder spindash movement or up B when sonic spindashes into your shield. Also, since Sonic can't really kill with throws until decently high percentages, I like to sit in shield rather than take a spindash into aerial/footstool stuff. Also, I rarely grab since I still believe Pacman's grab is way too bad to use unless you have a clear situation where you'll land it. I'd rather just run in and up B instead rather than risk that laggy animation if I don't think the grab will hit for sure.
Yeah, I tend to do this too. However, he's starting to realize trampoline's strength when I'm on top of him, so he'll do something in response to me running up to stop me from getting free trampolines. At that point, it starts becoming a guessing game that's slightly in Sonic's favor.

Since when? This is a Pacman general thread. Almost everything that's discussed in here are things that are at least vaugely related to Pacman
Maybe so. I always assumed we could talk about anything in here. I took "Pac-Man General Thread" to mean the general thread of the Pac-Man boards.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So I was unable to attend a tournament that takes place ion the same town I work because they made the event start so darn early. I'm pretty upset because I skipped my usual weekly since I was planning to attend this instead.

Top Bottom