• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Pac Attack - Advanced Techniques and Strategy Guide

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If you Z drop a melon over your opponent's head an then move forward while doing a side B, the melon will carry them into the last two hits of side B.

Welp, do I hear kill confirm? Albeit, a slightly situational one

Edit:
http://youtu.be/5dzVm-ws5p0
This is gonna be ****ing gross!! LOL
I know it's gonna be madness with Pac-Man, but this offensive technique may even make me look at mega man again.

I just need something to pull mega man away from his usual boring, pellet spamming, defensive self

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Now if only we could find an easier way to secure a KO.
TKBreezy said it best.

"What good are the tricks if they aren't taking stocks?"

That being said, those setups were sick and great for a highlight video. I don't expect most of them to work often on players who know about Pac-Man though.

Bthrow -> Melon was impressive and it's the only one I didn't know about that I can see working on consistent basis. It's still risky because it requires grabbing, and it's telegraphed because Pac-Man has a melon in hand. It's still better than nothing though, as people do think SHIELD whenever they feel threatened by Pac-Man and it counters that hard.

Abadango special (Trampoline them into fruit) is classic, but it is telegraphed too and requires you to be on top of them.

Reasons why I don't think the others will work often below.

The first one is a classic example of worrying about the hydrant more than Pac-Man.

Second opponent was dumb to sit in shield when Pac-Man stopped on Bell, meaning he had no way to quick launch hydrant or a quick projectile. Then he rolled for no good reason. He also must've forgotten his character has a constant reflector with down B.

Not sure what villager thought riding Lloid there would accomplish.

Rosalina could've ended the game with Usmash there. Also relies on ignorance that Galaxian does a delayed hydrant launch.

Ness was dumb. He also died at 200%.

Pikachu was dumb.

All of the Side B tricks rely on ignorance. The moment Pac-Man starts side B, sitting in shield is fine. Our shield breaking game is pretty bad. I've pulled off 2 galaxian hits, a launched hydrant, and a fully extended side B hit on a shield and it still didn't break

All Long range fruit gushing loses to shield + requires telegraphed setup.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If you Z drop a melon over your opponent's head an then move forward while doing a side B, the melon will carry them into the last two hits of side B.

Welp, do I hear kill confirm? Albeit, a slightly situational one

Edit:
http://youtu.be/5dzVm-ws5p0
This is gonna be ****ing gross!! LOL
I know it's gonna be madness with Pac-Man, but this offensive technique may even make me look at mega man again.

I just need something to pull mega man away from his usual boring, pellet spamming, defensive self
Well I have it down now. We get some great distance with this!
It's quite simple actually. New combos will be coming soon!! Pac-Man is going to get a lot out of this!

For a little taste, cherry combos into every smash attack from mid to high percentages.
The kill confirms just keep growing.
We can confirm a grab off of this tech as well. Works better with higher shield stun fruit like the melon.

Annnnd, Mega Man continues to be boring lol.
That character and I just don't mix.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
DITCIT Melon -> Fsmash is a true combo at all percent ranges.

DITCIT Cherry -> Usmash is a true combo at all percent ranges

DITCIT Cherry -> Fsmash or Dsmash only work at low to mid percent ranges.

DICIT Bell -> Fsmash -> Anything
The bell lands the same time as the Fsmash does if spaced properly, but if you do it closer to your opponent, the bell will hit first.

DICIT Any fruit -> Grab
This may turn out to be one of our most valuable tech in the future.

Still testing...so far so good!!!

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
What are the inputs to DICIT? It has been killing me because i cant do it :(.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
should we be sliding really far? i thought that i had done it a few times but i didnt slide anywhere near the distance megaman does in the vid

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Can someone break down instatossing for me? The video with Megaman isn't helping and I feel dumb lol.

Edit: I cannot get the forward throw DICIT down. -__- I got the up throw/slide with the C-stick method down fine though.

Last edited:

Afrobandit

Smash Rookie
Performing an Uair near the ground or at least falling to the ground has enough hit stun to combo with. Basically parallels the Standing Uair tech except not on a platform and maybe situational.

Also, once again similar to the Standing Uair, you can jump and Uair towards a platform for example in battlefield: short hoping then Uair at the apex of your short hop then fast fall to land on the lower platforms (normally Pac-Man's short hop doesn't reach battlefield's platforms). Even doing it by facing away from the opponent can combo as you can to a forward tilt after the short hop-> Uair-> land on platform.

Last edited:

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
TKBreezy said it best.

"What good are the tricks if they aren't taking stocks?"

That being said, those setups were sick and great for a highlight video. I don't expect most of them to work often on players who know about Pac-Man though.

Bthrow -> Melon was impressive and it's the only one I didn't know about that I can see working on consistent basis. It's still risky because it requires grabbing, and it's telegraphed because Pac-Man has a melon in hand. It's still better than nothing though, as people do think SHIELD whenever they feel threatened by Pac-Man and it counters that hard.

Abadango special (Trampoline them into fruit) is classic, but it is telegraphed too and requires you to be on top of them.

Reasons why I don't think the others will work often below.

The first one is a classic example of worrying about the hydrant more than Pac-Man.

Second opponent was dumb to sit in shield when Pac-Man stopped on Bell, meaning he had no way to quick launch hydrant or a quick projectile. Then he rolled for no good reason. He also must've forgotten his character has a constant reflector with down B.

Not sure what villager thought riding Lloid there would accomplish.

Rosalina could've ended the game with Usmash there. Also relies on ignorance that Galaxian does a delayed hydrant launch.

Ness was dumb. He also died at 200%.

Pikachu was dumb.

All of the Side B tricks rely on ignorance. The moment Pac-Man starts side B, sitting in shield is fine. Our shield breaking game is pretty bad. I've pulled off 2 galaxian hits, a launched hydrant, and a fully extended side B hit on a shield and it still didn't break

All Long range fruit gushing loses to shield + requires telegraphed setup.
I say we take advantage of that ignorance every chance we get. Smash Players will learn to respect PAC-MAN!!!!

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
DITCIT Melon -> Fsmash is a true combo at all percent ranges.

DITCIT Cherry -> Usmash is a true combo at all percent ranges

DITCIT Cherry -> Fsmash or Dsmash only work at low to mid percent ranges.

DICIT Bell -> Fsmash -> Anything
The bell lands the same time as the Fsmash does if spaced properly, but if you do it closer to your opponent, the bell will hit first.

DICIT Any fruit -> Grab
This may turn out to be one of our most valuable tech in the future.

Still testing...so far so good!!!

How do you do this? Because DICIT ..... you must uthrow.....

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I can't wait to get home and have access to my console again. Tech-savvy, I'm falling behind.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The funny thing is that the Mega Man users and Link users don't even try to practice the tech. Many of them overlooked it.

And then I dropped by...
Saw the potential and had to spread the knowledge. Yes...we are going to be a VERY threatening yet silent force in the meta :demon:

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Looks like I need to practice the non c-stick variants with Pacman and Link when I have time.

Edit: Dang going to need a video of someone showing their hands doing these inputs. I can't seem to get it down just yet. Not sure if I'm doing it right or not.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
This is kind of weird, and cool at the same time. Pac-Man can't B reverse any of his fruits except for the key. Every other fruit will allow you to keep your momentum in the same direction to started in (Ex : run forwards, throw fruit behind you while still moving forwards)

I think this is because you can't B reverse during the charge period of our Bonus fruit. It carries upwards momentum rather than sideways (the only character in the cast with this property)

However, every fruit can be wavebounced.
We also get a minor increase in height whenever we B reverse or Wavebounce because our B move holds our upwards momentum.

In other words, Pac-Man has the potential for some whacky movement on the battlefield.

Last edited:

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
i love exploiting that property. im almost always charging fruit way above where my opponent cant get me, and in case they jump after me i can just cancel and drop a hydrant. its also really helpful to stall recovery after a wall jump or b reverse a key at the enemy above the ledge.

also if youre holding a fruit to z drop or if someones playing keep away with your fruit you can still get that upward momentum if you try to spawn another, it ends quickly so you can almost immediately perform another action. this can also help you recover

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey @ Nu~ Nu~ think you could gather up all of your findings on the DICIT, including your posts on how to correctly do it, and throw them all into one thread? This is useful information on a technique we're probably always going to have someone asking about and if it stays separated in many small posts it's going to be really hard to find this information later.

EDIT:

:GCR:>>>:GCUR:+:GCA: (press and hold down) then :GCB: Immediately
Are you certain these inputs are right? They are nowhere near what I am doing for the upwards DICIT input.

I admit I haven't been trying it long, but these inputs do look weird unless you have B set to something else.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Huh... okay, so I can't figure out why, but the inputs you listed do work. Sorry for doubting you. Weird though... why can the DICIT work with both this and the C-stick/Z button method (Although I can't get this method to go horizontal)?

SUPER EDIT:

This is kind of weird, and cool at the same time. Pac-Man can't B reverse any of his fruits except for the key. Every other fruit will allow you to keep your momentum in the same direction to started in (Ex : run forwards, throw fruit behind you while still moving forwards)
Not necessarily true. We CAN actually B-reverse our other fruits by B-reversing the charge and instantly pressing B to throw the fruit while Pacman is turning around.
Not really anything huge, but it can be good to know.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Basic DITCIT Input:

Hold :GCR:, :GCZ: -simultaneously->:GCCU:

OR
With Tap Jump Off, Tap :GCR:, :GCZ: -simultaneously->:GCU::GCA:

OR
With A+B Smash on, Hold :GCR:, Hold :GCA: -very quickly-> :GCU::GCB: I copied thos from the mega man boards and the last one works so easy !

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
learning lots of new tricks lately. has anyone been able to utilize cancelling the lag of attacks through hydrant dashing off the ledge? it has a lot of combo potential. i like doing pivot f smashes and grabs this way

fair is really really good at later percents. it combos into itself and a key past 100% for a lot of characters, really good kill confirm, been using this a lot

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
learning lots of new tricks lately. has anyone been able to utilize cancelling the lag of attacks through hydrant dashing off the ledge? it has a lot of combo potential. i like doing pivot f smashes and grabs this way

fair is really really good at later percents. it combos into itself and a key past 100% for a lot of characters, really good kill confirm, been using this a lot
"We don't have kill confirms" they said :smirk:

Yeah, I've noticed that hydrant dash lag cancel. You can use the trampoline to make your moves safer as well. By pushing the opponent into a trampoline, you can make it impossible for them to punish your end lag.

GeneralBrwni

Smash Cadet
I was messing around in training mode with z-dropping the key and it seems like key drop->footstool-->intatoss down works at all percents, but that's only based off of testing on ZSS at 999%. I also think drop-->footstool-->instadrop (grab and drop the key at the same time to refresh the hitbox) works, although it takes slightly longer for the key to hit, which might give them time to do something. If they don't, it's great because it keeps the key in play. I don't know if anybody else has found this but I thought I'd share.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I was messing around in training mode with z-dropping the key and it seems like key drop->footstool-->intatoss down works at all percents, but that's only based off of testing on ZSS at 999%. I also think drop-->footstool-->instadrop (grab and drop the key at the same time to refresh the hitbox) works, although it takes slightly longer for the key to hit, which might give them time to do something. If they don't, it's great because it keeps the key in play. I don't know if anybody else has found this but I thought I'd share.
All insta tosses work regardless of percent. You can also set up footstool combos with every fruit when you z drop them. It's pretty nifty for setting up kills.

GeneralBrwni

Smash Cadet
All insta tosses work regardless of percent. You can also set up footstool combos with every fruit when you z drop them. It's pretty nifty for setting up kills.
Well don't I feel a little silly? :p
To make up for it, here's a fun (possibly) new combo that seems to work at low-mid percents: key drop-->footstool-->hydrant-->instatoss for a good 52%. There's also a 47% variation that works at all percents and ends with the key in hand: key drop-->footstool-->hydrant-->nair. The first combo may also work at any percent, but the timing is different for mid-high percents than it is low percents, and I haven't figured that part out yet (I got it to work once at 70% against marth, but I can't seem to replicate that)

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
We all know that the grounded trampoline stops ground approaches right? But what if we used it to stop aerial approaches as well?

By placing a trampoline slightly below Pac-Man's eyebrow, we effectively bring all aerial approaches to a halt.

This is most effective against shiek, greninja, jigglypuff, and anyone else who approaches with full hop or SH aerials. For matches against opponents who approach on the ground, the grounded trampoline is superior, but until now, we never had a way to completely shut down aerial approaches.

This is incredible!!

The one downside is that opponents can chase you if you try to set this up.

I recommend doing it either after you place a hydrant in front of you, or while you are in advantage.

Edit: There is a safer way!! By placing the trampoline at Pac-Man's chin height, you can stop both grounded AND aerial approaches!!

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Just realized how much of a godsend it is that our fruits can't be picked up after being thrown as items. This means that the opponent can't pick them up.

Imagine how good this is for every fruit?
Lazy fruit creates a literal obstacle course that your opponent has to find some way around, freaky fruit strawberry and cherry must be jumped over or the opponent gets sucked into a kill move, freaky melon is a legitimately scary anti air that gives you control over the air for a little over a second, BF orange and bell are scary as **** offstage...

I recommend throwing every fruit you can from the hand instead of from BF

Last edited:

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
its absolutely crucial to do that against rosas. villager can still pocket them unfortunately, but regrabbing fruit at least adds to the mindgames. ive been practicing regrabbing every fruit from the sides of the stage just to be safe when fighting a sharp opponent.

lazy fruit i think is our best neutral b, its really easy to regrab everything and the amount of stun the orange does is ridiculous. its like a normal melon with how it lingers on screen but it combos into almost anything. doesnt take too long to charge to either

Huge

Smash Apprentice
'SUP NERDS. Good news! I've found some tech which might be able to help y'all out a bit! I've confirmed that it is new, and it's actually pretty useful. Only problem is that the input for it is wavedash-level annoying for me, but I've been working on it for a couple of days and I've got it down pretty well. I'll post a tutorial here with pictures when I'm not super-tired. Not going to give too much away before I have everything pinned down, but it involves Pac's air options.

Anyway, can someone please explain to me exactly how to DITCIT/super glide toss? It looks damned wonky, but I can't make sense of the instructions in the video. Is it really that useful? Thanks, and see you guys soon!

edit: never mind, someone explained it a couple of posts up. quality work me! still can't get it though, I should probably sleep...

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
its absolutely crucial to do that against rosas. villager can still pocket them unfortunately, but regrabbing fruit at least adds to the mindgames. ive been practicing regrabbing every fruit from the sides of the stage just to be safe when fighting a sharp opponent.

lazy fruit i think is our best neutral b, its really easy to regrab everything and the amount of stun the orange does is ridiculous. its like a normal melon with how it lingers on screen but it combos into almost anything. doesnt take too long to charge to either
As long as you start charging fruit as soon as villager pockets your fruit, his pocket isn't too threatening. We have it a lot easier than ROB and diddy.

BSP

Smash Legend
Just realized how much of a godsend it is that our fruits can't be picked up after being thrown as items. This means that the opponent can't pick them up.

Imagine how good this is for every fruit?
Lazy fruit creates a literal obstacle course that your opponent has to find some way around, freaky fruit strawberry and cherry must be jumped over or the opponent gets sucked into a kill move, freaky melon is a legitimately scary anti air that gives you control over the air for a little over a second, BF orange and bell are scary as **** offstage...

I recommend throwing every fruit you can from the hand instead of from BF
If you always have fruit in hand, you can't do the amazing galaxian combo though...

Seriously though, Fruit in hand is generally better. Not only can it not be picked up by them, it comes out twice as fast and can be done OoS.

Edit: There is a safer way!! By placing the trampoline at Pac-Man's chin height, you can stop both grounded AND aerial approaches!!
What chin? He's a sphere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom