• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Owners Manual: How to use your Robotic Operating Buddy *UPDATED MAR 26th*

Foxxx17

Smash Cadet
Huh, I didn't know that. I wonder if you can use Gyro placement to continue combos a-la snake's C4. D-smash, short jump, Fair, Fair, Enemy pops off the Gyro, continue combo kind of thing. I will need to play with this...

Questions I will answer after I get some more training time in (unless someone answers first)
--does picking up the Gyro reset the spinning time?
--How long does the spin time last?
--How does charging the gyro affect the spin time/power?
--Can you control how the Gyro fires on the initial toss? If so, how easy is it to set someone up on top of a spinning gyro?
--How easy is it to pick someone off if they roll into a gyro, etc?

Depending on how the exparament goes, this might actually be a pretty neat find! Set up the Gyro to control how people tech, prevent people from dodging behind you, set up block strings into it so you can throw them while they shield the Gyro...

I love ROB so very, very much.
It can be pretty hard to get the placement for edge roll gyro due to the fact you cant just drop it on the ground but have to throw it out of the down-b

ropep0202

Smash Cadet
Just unlocked ROB and I might main him because I seem to be naturally fitted to his style.
This guide is nice. Thanks

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
Well just browsin thru ur guide - its really helpful

and wheres the Sticky on this too?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Good guide T0MMY.
You should add that ROB can SH double fair, unless you did with your weird terms. >_>

I also somehow did a turn-around bair once, after I was already in the air.
I baired in one direction then the other. Not sure how, I'm still trying to do it.

You can spam bairs and dairs in the air forever, which was discovered already, you should add a recovery part pointing out up b, bair, up b, bair as the best for horizontal distance. It's kinda like a bomb jump really. And since his up b can turn him around, you'll never be facing the wrong way.

You can also just jump and spam bairs in place with the turn arounds. Like more than 10.
My guide is in serious need of updating.
I didn't mention the SH double f-air because it was so plainly obvious... but I guess I should include all information to make it complete.
Thanks for the advice on what else I should put in there, just having someone tell me what to put in helps a lot as it's easy to overlook so much stuff.

Gj on the guide Tommy, the only thing i noticed is a a little bit of missing information on the down-b.

First off u mention that either you or your opponent can pick it up, which is semi-true. You see the only time the enemy can pick it up is in an airreal catch or when the item stops spinning.

There is also some sliding thing you can do with the down-b but i have not idea how to do it yet.
Actually, an opponent can pick up the gyro if they attack it once.
I should include more information on the gyro as I've developed a lot of new techniques for it. And, ya, I should mention glide tossing.

Questions I will answer after I get some more training time in (unless someone answers first)
--does picking up the Gyro reset the spinning time?
--How long does the spin time last?
--How does charging the gyro affect the spin time/power?
--Can you control how the Gyro fires on the initial toss? If so, how easy is it to set someone up on top of a spinning gyro?
--How easy is it to pick someone off if they roll into a gyro, etc?
1)no
2)I haven't timed it yet, probably about 15 seconds (full charge) just by a pure estimate.
3)It makes it spin longer and have more power the longer you charge it
4)no
5)I don't know what you're saying here

Well just browsin thru ur guide - its really helpful
and wheres the Sticky on this too?
Everyone should msg the mods and get this stickied X^)

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
It is painfully obvious, but the double fair thing points out that it isn't just spamable and can actually combo. Well, pressure more than anything seeing as how defensive this game is.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Instead of us all trying to bump this to keep it at top so all this info is easier to access for players looking for R.O.B. info I'm going to PM a mod to get this stickied.
I suggest others do this as well... I know, it's a hassle... but it's worth it. Do it for R.O.B. ;^D

btw the double-fair works when you can get the second hit in, but I forgo the second F-air because of the landing lag, you'll get punished for using it against players knowing what they're doing.

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
About using the gyro: I find it extremely helpful to use it during recovery. In stages with no walls beneath the ledges (Smashville) just aim so that it lands right on the ledge. Of course it's going to bounce away, but if an enemy is trying to ledge guard you one of three things will probably happen.
1. You hit them and get back on the stage/ledge easier.
2. You hit their shield, making it possible to shield poke them with the uair or fair.
3. They catch it and throw it back, in which case you can catch it, air dodge it, or let it kill you.

In stages like Yoshi's Island, you can use the gyro close to the stage, then catch it as it bounces off the wall. From here you can grab the ledge and do a variety of things or even toss it above you as you come up to the ledge.

Sorry if I rez'd the topic, just though people should realize how helpful the gyro really is.

T0MMY

Smash Master
You rez'd the topic because I haven't updated it, nor will I continue to update this.
I have a bigger project at All is Brawl.
It covers what you mentioned and a plethora of updates.

Top Bottom