• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overture 5 - Vancouver, BC - Jan 30th 2010: Street Fighter 4, Melee, Brawl

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Overture 5 - Vancouver, BC - Jan 30th 2010: Street Fighter 4, Melee, Brawl
UBC Competitive Video Gaming Association presents...

Overture '10 - Continuity - SSBB + SSBM + SF4 + Tournament

* Student Union Building (SUB) Partyroom

Timeline: (will definately be edited when i get the room booked T.T)

* 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm - CVGA Execs setup / Lunch Break / Casuals
* 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm - Break and Casuals; Brawl Doubles Registration;
* 4:00pm to 5:00 pm - Brawl doubles Tournament
* 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm - Brawl Singles Registration, SFIV 3v3 Registration
* 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm - Brawl Singles Tournament, SFIV 3v3 Tournament
* 5:00 pm to 5:30 pm - Melee Doubles Registration, SFIV Singles Registration
* 5:30 pm to 8:00pm - Melee Double Tournament, SFIV singles Tournament
* 8:00 pm to 8:30 pm - Dinner Break, Melee Singles Registration
* 8:30pm to 11:00pm - Melee Singles Tournament
* 11:00pm to whenever - Casuals + FML i need to clean up

*tentatively at 9:30pm we may have a short N64 tournament, or wherever i can fit one in.

These times are yet to be confirmed but the room has been booked.

* Cover Fee: (venue fee) clarification

1. $12 for people that show up at the door and are not members (eg. not confirmed on my list, this wasn't up before because this wouldn't really apply to anyone who can see it unless your stupid :D)
2. $8 at the door for members not confirmed on the list / non-members that are confirmed on the list
3. $5 for pre-registered members

(for smash)
* Singles Fee - $10 per person
* Doubles Fee - $10 per team ($5 per person)

(for SFIV)
* Singles Fee - $10
* possible 3v3 if we have enough teams - $15/team

Division of the Pot:
UPDATED
Tournaments with 2-4 contestants: (max 4-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 100%

Tournaments with 5-16 contestants: (max 16-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 70%
* 2nd Place - 30%

Tournaments with 17-32 contestants: (max 32-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 60%
* 2nd Place - 30%
* 3rd Place - 10%

Tournaments with 33-64 contestants: (max 64-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 50%
* 2nd Place - 25%
* 3rd Place - 15%
* 4th Place - 10%

Tournaments with 65-128 contestants: (max 128-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 45%
* 2nd Place - 20%
* 3rd Place - 15%
* 4th Place - 10%
* 5th Place x2 - 5%

o Applies to all tournaments.
*Exception is when there are less than 10 participants in which case 3rd will get their money back and the remainder will be split into thirds; 2/3 going to first, 1/3 going to second*
*In the event that 3rd would make more than 2nd, 3rd will not be paid at all*

Rules and Format:

SSBM Singles
Bracket: Double elimination + round robin (1 round of pools; number of games per set will be set accordingly) for seeding
Stock: 4
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, best out of 5 in the Finals (losers/winners/grand)
Neutral (random) stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Kirby 64 (Dreamland)
Banned stages: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt, Big Blue. All other stages allowed for counter-picks
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if both players agree
Each player is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

SSBM Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination (may be seeded by round robin)
Stock: 4
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, best out of 5 in the Finals (losers/winners/grand)
Neutral (random) stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64 (Dreamland)
Banned stages: Fountain of Dreams (due to lag), Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt, Big Blue. All other stages allowed for counter-picks
Team attack: ON
Life-stealing allowed
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if all players agree.
Each team is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

SSBB Singles
Bracket: Double elimination (possibly seeded by pools)
Stock: 3
Time limit: 7 minutes
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals
Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island
Counterpick stages: Lylat Cruise, Delphino Plaza, Castle Siege, Pictochat, Norfair, Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens*, Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium 1
Banned stages: everything else (unless both players agree to play on a banned stage)
Each player is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick
* may be banned

SSBB Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination
Stock: 3
Time limit: 7 minutes
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals
Stages: see SSBB singles
Team attack: ON
Each team is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

Yea i totally just copy and pasted someone :p

Contact information:
brianchan89@hotmail.com
604-961-3873

Notes:
* Our Second SSBB tournament; however, we're used to running various fighting-game tournaments. This tournament we will be trying to incorporate a melee tournament as well since there is a lot of demand for this
* There will be approximately 8 setups (mixed wii's/Cubes). Recording setups may or not be present (if you have any experience with recording please contact us)
* To emphasize we want more than JUST 4 setups for each tournament. Bring a set up if you can!
* As per SBR rules, players are responsible for their own controllers.

Players Attending:
1)TwilightShadow
2)Blunted_object10
3)Lib3r4t3
4)xXx-NoobKing-xXx
5)Igcoris (Sion)
6)~Firefly~
7)Bundtcake
8)Rustedfencepost
9)Breez
10)SpaceFalcon
11)Zardoz
12)LFL
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)
31)
32)
33)
34)
35)
36)
37)
38)
39)
40)

3v3 teams:

1)

2)

3)

4)

People looking to join teams:
1)

Equipment: (Bring what you can!!!)

CVGA: 6 TV's + 4 Wii's, 2 Cubes, 1 360, 3 copies Brawl, 2 copies Melee, 2 copies SFIV, PS3
TwilightShadow: 1 copy melee, 1 copy Street Fighter 4

Street Fighter IV Tournament:

1. Rules: (Not at all official i just made em up)
2. Double elimination
3. each match will be to best of 3 rounds and each set will be best of 3 matches. Winners finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals will all be best of 3 rounds per match and best of 5 matches per set
4. If a player pauses during a round, he will lose that round (not the match)
5. If a player pauses during the same set twice, they will forfeit the match.
6. In the event of a D.K.O in the final round, an additional match (best of 1) will be played to determine the winner, super bars will be set at 0.

3v3's
1. Each team must consist of at least 2 different characters, eg. no A(Sagat), B(Sagat), C(Sagat) vs D(Ryu), E(Ryu), F(Ryu)
2. Each individual player is knocked out once he/she loses 1 match, and the next teammate will step in until one team defeats the other team's 3 players
3. Ordering of teams will be written for the first players of each team at the beginning of the matchup, when the first match is over, the team that lost the first match can send either of their remaining 2 players.
4. Once a character has been picked for that set it cannot be changed. (important for counter picking reasons)
5. All other rules are analogous to the Single player tournament

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Whoo for being on a date that I know I can come for sure instead of not really knowing up until the day of!

venue fee, not even a tv for ssb64 for friendlies, not going
If it's anything like the last Overture, there will be plenty of TVs available haha XD

also lol @ Meta trying to get a tourney host that plays Brawl and SF4 to cancel either Brawl or SF4

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
regardless of what anyone writes on this thread, i have complete authority over my tournament. If i say we have SF4, Melee, Brawl we will have SF4, Melee, Brawl. I'm up for discussion on tournament times and events ect ect. What i want is feedback on how to make my tournaments run more efficiently, what i don't need are trolls.

That being said, if anyone can find the resources needed to run an additional tournament, ie jack if u want 64, i have openly stated that we have open TVs for 64 as well as setups sitting for melee. OV4 had an excess of TVs for the smash side as everysingle one of the CRTs (tube TVs) were dedicated to smash. SF4 plays on Asus LCDs and virtually nothing else... how does that bother smash? Infact, we had very few (but still some) people that came for smash or SF4 and joined the other tournament just because it was there.

i would hate to have to cancel a tournament b/c of trolls bashing other games that are not their own... the object of these tournaments for me is to have a large gathering of people in this city that want to play a game, regardless of what it is.

Come August the AnimeEvolution Convention will be held at UBC and i am pondering taking charge of every single game related tournament that happens over the course of this time, I'm hoping to make the video scene grow so if you're going to be detrimental to my goal... please don't post unless u want ur game to be poorly represented at one of the biggest conventions in canada.

That being said, i have 6 CRTs dedicated to smash from CVGA, and usually some people bring additional ones for their own purposes as i hand out discounts for venues to people that bring entire setups.

As a final note I don't want to sound like theres no room for discussion on these issues that have been coming up but if your request is a direct argument to my tournament structure, you better have good reason to back it up.

PS. If your wondering about attendance, OV4's had fewer people than OV3 due to a rushed schedule (partially b/c this was due to me being unable to make the tournament at a different time) from my attendance sheet i had about 40-50 people for OV4 over the day and about 70-80 people for OV3. I'm hoping that OV5 will be a much bigger tournament. As i have stated b4 my SF4 scene has been doing rather well, and my rep has been spreading to some of the neighboring regions including seattle and alberta. If possible i'm hoping that the smash scene can build enough rep to allow for out of province players to think it is worth it to come to our smash events. As such, i have openly asked as many people to attend the SFU tournament scheduled by Meta upcoming and i hope to receive the same gesture of appreciation towards the smash scene.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
regardless of what anyone writes on this thread, i have complete authority over my tournament. If i say we have SF4, Melee, Brawl we will have SF4, Melee, Brawl. I'm up for discussion on tournament times and events ect ect. What i want is feedback on how to make my tournaments run more efficiently, what i don't need are trolls.

That being said, if anyone can find the resources needed to run an additional tournament, ie jack if u want 64, i have openly stated that we have open TVs for 64 as well as setups sitting for melee. OV4 had an excess of TVs for the smash side as everysingle one of the CRTs (tube TVs) were dedicated to smash. SF4 plays on Asus LCDs and virtually nothing else... how does that bother smash? Infact, we had very few (but still some) people that came for smash or SF4 and joined the other tournament just because it was there.

i would hate to have to cancel a tournament b/c of trolls bashing other games that are not their own... the object of these tournaments for me is to have a large gathering of people in this city that want to play a game, regardless of what it is.

Come August the AnimeEvolution Convention will be held at UBC and i am pondering taking charge of every single game related tournament that happens over the course of this time, I'm hoping to make the video scene grow so if you're going to be detrimental to my goal... please don't post unless u want ur game to be poorly represented at one of the biggest conventions in canada.

That being said, i have 6 CRTs dedicated to smash from CVGA, and usually some people bring additional ones for their own purposes as i hand out discounts for venues to people that bring entire setups.

As a final note I don't want to sound like theres no room for discussion on these issues that have been coming up but if your request is a direct argument to my tournament structure, you better have good reason to back it up.

PS. If your wondering about attendance, OV4's had fewer people than OV3 due to a rushed schedule (partially b/c this was due to me being unable to make the tournament at a different time) from my attendance sheet i had about 40-50 people for OV4 over the day and about 70-80 people for OV3. I'm hoping that OV5 will be a much bigger tournament. As i have stated b4 my SF4 scene has been doing rather well, and my rep has been spreading to some of the neighboring regions including seattle and alberta. If possible i'm hoping that the smash scene can build enough rep to allow for out of province players to think it is worth it to come to our smash events. As such, i have openly asked as many people to attend the SFU tournament scheduled by Meta upcoming and i hope to receive the same gesture of appreciation towards the smash scene.
Well now that you mention it people are getting worried about venue fees at your tournaments.. They think you are just hosting smash so you can gain money for yourself.. How much is the rooms that you rent for tournaments?

Also try and make the next melee tournament finish and start Melee earlier if you can.. Why not start Melee and Brawl at the same time? Especially if you have enough set ups!

Just improving on these things will help the smash community for your tournaments for Melee! =D

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Well now that you mention it people are getting worried about venue fees at your tournaments.. They think you are just hosting smash so you can gain money for yourself.. How much is the rooms that you rent for tournaments?

Also try and make the next melee tournament finish and start Melee earlier if you can.. Why not start Melee and Brawl at the same time? Especially if you have enough set ups!

Just improving on these things will help the smash community for your tournaments for Melee! =D
yea i've been hearing that from people too, i remember explicitly writing that CVGA takes the venue, not myself. I submit the float and cashbox back to the financial treasurer at the end of each tournament, and the club uses funds to fuel future tournaments as well as get setups ect.

For thos that aren't convinced well heres a peice of logic for ya... if i decided to work for 12 hrs on a day that i run a tournament how much would i make... even if i worked a minimum wage job that would still be 96 bux. Instead i'm hosting a tournament.

On the contrary i don't think its the the fact that people think i'm hosting for myself, its just that the venue amounts themselves are a bit expensive in general.

I'm aware of this, which is also why i've been trying to get some numbers from the financial officer for our club to see if i can get cheaper room fees and some support from UBC itself.

unityole

Smash Lord
yea i've been hearing that from people too, i remember explicitly writing that CVGA takes the venue, not myself. I submit the float and cashbox back to the financial treasurer at the end of each tournament, and the club uses funds to fuel future tournaments as well as get setups ect.
so CVGA is making money, and they are doing it for future events because they will make more money, any ways to lower the venue fee to 5? 10 for each person for venue fee, but the tourney turn out is less than 15, not even 3rd place will make his money back, dont you think thats a little messed up?

If your wondering about attendance, OV4's had fewer people than OV3 due to a rushed schedule (partially b/c this was due to me being unable to make the tournament at a different time) from my attendance sheet i had about 40-50 people for OV4 over the day and about 70-80 people for OV3. I'm hoping that OV5 will be a much bigger tournament.
40-50? thats a lot man, but thats SF4 included right? this is smashboard yo, also i would understand asking entrants to pay for venue but the tourney should at least be well over 100 players. I mean getting money off smash melee scene for sake of another game or CVGA, that aint right. Since u're with CVGA im sure they are helping u in another way.

also Blunted_Object10 is right, schedules should be fixed. Melee Rules in the thread comes first for melee attraction but melee events are actually scheduled last, darn!
i was glad to hear that u said theres spare TV for other games, ie smash64 but i was told melee events did not get to finish at 3 of the 5 OV tournies.

players need to warm up, also the fact that they DID pay for both entry fee + venue fee, shouldnt u do the best u can to finish brawl/SF4 as soon as possible so that melee events will have same amount of attention.

u've said that u wanted ur tournies to be big, but the fact remains melee doubles start SO LATE in the day just doesnt work. 20 of melee smashers will take up almost the whole day just to finish singles, doubles for double elimination. there are so many problems that need to be fixed.

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
so CVGA is making money, and they are doing it for future events because they will make more money, any ways to lower the venue fee to 5? 10 for each person for venue fee, but the tourney turn out is less than 15, not even 3rd place will make his money back, dont you think thats a little messed up?

40-50? thats a lot man, but thats SF4 included right? this is smashboard yo, also i would understand asking entrants to pay for venue but the tourney should at least be well over 100 players. I mean getting money off smash melee scene for sake of another game or CVGA, that aint right. Since u're with CVGA im sure they are helping u in another way.

also Blunted_Object10 is right, schedules should be fixed. Melee Rules in the thread comes first for melee attraction but melee events are actually scheduled last, darn!
i was glad to hear that u said theres spare TV for other games, ie smash64 but i was told melee events did not get to finish at 3 of the 5 OV tournies.

players need to warm up, also the fact that they DID pay for both entry fee + venue fee, shouldnt u do the best u can to finish brawl/SF4 as soon as possible so that melee events will have same amount of attention.

u've said that u wanted ur tournies to be big, but the fact remains melee doubles start SO LATE in the day just doesnt work. 20 of melee smashers will take up almost the whole day just to finish singles, doubles for double elimination. there are so many problems that need to be fixed.
ur facts are mainly wrong but i guess thats understandable since you never actually attended the tournament yourself. I was asked to make the tournament at the times requested. I have said time and time again that tournament scheduling is up for discussion. There were complaints for OV3 that melee didn't finish, yes i apologize for that but theres only so much i can do should some of the players wish to wait for other people to be present that are "coming in 5 minutes" but end up showing up an hour later. The fact that melee comes last i would expect to be a good thing would it not? The later something is in the schedule the more important it is... at least thats the way it should be.

As for "using" smash to pay for SF4, that's hardly the case. If anything its the other way around, they are generating way more towards helping pay for the venue than smash is, just ask some of the previous smashers that have been present at OV3 and OV4. Their numbers are sick. I split the room even half and half, so by that principle smash is actually taking up the same space but generating less funds. I was a smasher to begin with so technically i'm using the SF4 funds to buffer for smash.

There have been people bringing extra TVs to the tournaments as of late so if there are enough people to get this done, we can actually run brawl and melee simultaneously if thats a universal concensus.

As for venues, i can try to lower venue fees by drawing a small cut from tournament pots to try to even out the costs, that way the people that go and don't place within the money won't be paying as much and the people that win first/second will be buffering the venue a bit.

As a final note, i'm trying quite diligently to make smash work, and i feel i'm taking quite a bit of heat from people firing their "concerns" to me. I'm trying my best to work things out and would greatly appreciate it if people would be more helpful in their future comments. On that note, thanks for voicing ur concern jack, hopefully i might actually see u at a tournament in the near future.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
If the venue fee was lowered, interest would for this would definitely go up IMO. TOs usually try to get the venue fee to $5. I'm not exactly sure how much the UBC rooms cost, but a $5 venue fee is the norm.

I really hope they put Melee at AE '10 with proper rulings and such. I remember going to AE '09 playing brawl with rules like best out of 1, coin flipping for stages, 4man FFA seeding, winner's bracket only, and 1 setup. You should definitely consider trying your hand at hosting the gaming tournaments for AE '10 because you have experience hosting these kinds of things.

unityole

Smash Lord
If the venue fee was lowered, interest would for this would definitely go up IMO. TOs usually try to get the venue fee to $5. I'm not exactly sure how much the UBC rooms cost, but a $5 venue fee is the norm.

I really hope they put Melee at AE '10 with proper rulings and such. I remember going to AE '09 playing brawl with rules like best out of 1, coin flipping for stages, 4man FFA seeding, winner's bracket only, and 1 setup. You should definitely consider trying your hand at hosting the gaming tournaments for AE '10 because you have experience hosting these kinds of things.
the biggest event in canada would be evan's tourney in MAY, gg oos and oop
ronaldmcdonald will be there and give out burgers im sure

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman

The PR of AE asked CVGA to take charge of all game related tournaments that are going to happen at AE '10.

I am currently talking with the reps at nintendo to see if we can get some sponsoring from them for AE '10, it should be good though.

As for venue fees, i agree that 5 bux is usually the norm but thats what we give to our CVGA members that pre-register. I believe the cost to rent a room is 250 + opening and closing for a small room, and i think 450 + opening and closing for a lecture hall if we don't schedule during regular building hrs (thats usually an extra 50 if we need to open early or close late) The problem is that people never show up on time. Then they whine about not being able to join a tournament or not being able to have a friend join because they couldn't find the place ect. ect. I made a schedule and i try my best to keep it. Of course if the general consensus is that we should wait for the extra people well then i'll wait. What happens though is it causes the later tournament to be pushed back.

Take OV3 for example. melee doubles took quite a long time to complete and they started late which led to the start of singles being pushed back and subsequently caused singles to not be able to finish.

unityole

Smash Lord

Sion!!! I love your falco! <3

Metà

Smash Master
I'm going. Unless Brawl is cancelled.

GTFO Meta. You're not convincing anybody. =/

:005:
Don't tell me to GTFO, I've run tournaments way bigger than this guy, and I had all 3 smash games. I don't like the way Melee is handled when he's got all this other stuff going on before it, so I'm simply stating that I won't be coming unless something gives.

Also I didn't really read anything past this in the thread, so I'll get to the walls of text later. How about this, I'll take back my previous statement. Instead, I'll only come if Melee starts at 4 pm or earlier. Not that anyone's going to change anything just because of me, but either way I probably won't be going to this, lol. I'll probably just end up playing Melee with some friends at SFU.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Don't tell me to GTFO, I've run tournaments way bigger than this guy, and I had all 3 smash games. I don't like the way Melee is handled when he's got all this other stuff going on before it, so I'm simply stating that I won't be coming unless something gives.
Uh...that's nice and all, but you said absolutely nothing about the way Melee was handled. You did nothing but tell the TO repeatedly to flat-out cancel a game, and you gave literally no reasoning behind it. If you dislike the way the scheduling is set up, maybe try suggesting a better alternative, or you know, explain WHY it's a problem in the first place. The fact is, something has to come last in the schedule, and the order is not up to you. The fact that you've organized bigger tournaments does not give you the right to tell anybody else what to do for theirs. People are usually willing to take advice from experienced TOs, but your elitist attitude is not making anybody want to listen to you. >.>

breez

Smash Ace
Sup Twilight! I'm excited for OV5 - are we going to go MK/MK in doubles this time around? I think we could take it.

Also, don't take heat from these melee kids and people *****ing about venue fees. If a broke *** university student like me can scrounge enough money to come to these things, then pretty much anyone can. I have had a great time at every event i've been to - obviously I wouldn't mind the venue fee being cheaper, but if that's what it costs, then that's what it costs.

Just start ignoring the melee idiots, they are elitist, demanding, and in general, pretty ****ing stupid. If they want to host their own tournies (like it seems they want to) then let them. There is a large group of us that all really appreciate what you are doing for the community, and we all realize that this is a ****load of effort for you, and all we expect is that you keep doing the best you can.

Thanks again for setting everything up, definitely confirmed :)

edit: Sorry for including the non-***gy melee kids - it just seems that every single tourny thread gets **** on by melee players, and it gets frustrating!

Metà

Smash Master
Hey man, Melee players aren't necessarily elitist, demanding, or stupid, we just have to explain the same position a hundred million times. I was lazy and figured others would explain it for me. >.>

Don't make generalizations. I don't generalize about Brawl players even though I sometimes think our community would be a lot better off without some of them.....

breez

Smash Ace
Hey man, Melee players aren't necessarily elitist, demanding, or stupid, we just have to explain the same position a hundred million times. I was lazy and figured others would explain it for me. >.>

Don't make generalizations. I don't generalize about Brawl players even though I sometimes think our community would be a lot better off without some of them.....
Ah, well my respect for you just went up a notch - thanks for not attempting to start a flamefest with an obviously annoyed brawl player :)

That said, I really do think we need to give support and suggestions to people hosting these tournies, not criticism and ultimatums. I know for a fact that the BC brawl scene is built up of tolerant and nice gamers - i'm sure we can find a way to get along!

Now my heart is all warm.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
You can put me as unconfirmed, By Jan. 30th a lot could change. I'll try and make it out though.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero

Generalizations do suck. I do agree with you that that was uncalled for, but at the same time, it's frustrating when people openly discourage Brawl events in favour of Melee, especially since Melee has a much more well-established community than Brawl does. If you don't like Brawl or some of it's players, that's fine; don't go to Brawl events, and that won't be an issue. It's when you make posts like some of your replies in this thread that it causes a problem, because it comes across as an attack to the people that do play the game, and we don't like seeing people pressure TOs to exclude Brawl (it HAS happened before).

I know the BC Brawl community very well, and I'm pretty familiar with some of the Melee community as well. Both groups are a lot of fun to play with individually, but things get a little messy when both games collide, because both sides want their respective games to get the representation they feel they deserve. If Brawl players are complaining about Melee players, it's because they perceive Melee players as a threat to the existance of Brawl events, and nothing more. Since most Melee players don't play Brawl anyway, it takes very little to make it look like the Melee community as a whole has it in for Brawl players, and I'm sure this goes both ways.

cedrick

Smash Apprentice
Yo Meta, Brian does an excellent job running these tournies and to come in here and make condescending remarks is pretty bs imo.. especially for no real reason. As for the schedule keep in mind these are 1 day things and there is only so much time to get things done. SF4 alone last tournament had as many people there as any sfu tournament Ive been to. I would like to see melee start earlier aswell and if you want Brian I would be happy to help run this. One suggestion I would make would be to waive the venue fee for anyone that brings a setup

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Sup Twilight! I'm excited for OV5 - are we going to go MK/MK in doubles this time around? I think we could take it.

Also, don't take heat from these melee kids and people *****ing about venue fees. If a broke *** university student like me can scrounge enough money to come to these things, then pretty much anyone can. I have had a great time at every event i've been to - obviously I wouldn't mind the venue fee being cheaper, but if that's what it costs, then that's what it costs.

Just start ignoring the melee idiots, they are elitist, demanding, and in general, pretty ****ing stupid. If they want to host their own tournies (like it seems they want to) then let them. There is a large group of us that all really appreciate what you are doing for the community, and we all realize that this is a ****load of effort for you, and all we expect is that you keep doing the best you can.

Thanks again for setting everything up, definitely confirmed :)

edit: Sorry for including the non-***gy melee kids - it just seems that every single tourny thread gets **** on by melee players, and it gets frustrating!
****ing money match *****.

You can put me as unconfirmed, By Jan. 30th a lot could change. I'll try and make it out though.
get *****.

Also, Pound 4 is in 3 weeks. Just say'n

unityole

Smash Lord
When my saving is 50 grand, a car is 49k, that would mean i CANT afford it cause i would have almost no money left. so from what you said i would assume u dont pay for everything on your own, but even if you do, u're still way out of the league compare to some of us.

although i've heard from MANY people that went to OV i never really gone to it myself, but i trust them so i am 100% sure that tourney is getting smaller everytime. A tourney would mean, the amount of entrants, not the number of people whos only there to play the game for fun/ friendlies. therefore, theres no way for a tournament for 1 day event be bigger than Meta's tourney, cause it was WELL over 70+ entrants in either singles/doubles.

we all realize that this is a ****load of effort for you, and all we expect is that you keep doing the best you can.
The first brawl tourney i've ever hosted had about 40 entrants, the 1st BC brawl tournament, my 2nd one had around 50. I got a small lounge I payed 127 dollars myself and had Melee and Brawl both in 1 day, with 5-6 TVs. about 25 melee players and 40 brawl players who entered the tourney, i started everything at 11 30 and ended everything at around 8:00pm including singles, doubles, side events and crews (double elimination). so I dont see how u guys dont finish a tourney with more TVs while charging people 10-15 just for the venue and NOT finish the event.

really all we looking for is lower venue fee, better organized schedule for just melee.

Just start ignoring the melee idiots, they are elitist, demanding, and in general, pretty ****ing stupid. If they want to host their own tournies (like it seems they want to) then let them.
now here are some facts. the best BC brawl player is a 14 year old junior high schooler name David, if he goes to the brawl tourney, he would **** so hard some of you would consider quitting brawl and just to play for fun.

another, SF4 jsut started, of course theres load of players wanting to give em a try. only later people will start to realize they cant win, and stop entering tourney events.

another funny fact, top brawl players in BC are mostly from melee, and play melee. infact the best brawl player from bc likes melee > brawl =/

lots of SF4 players make a huge tourney, note that this is SMASHBOARDS, not Street fighter boards.

finally, I just might host a melee tournament so we can seperate the melee and brawl, u happy now?

bundtcake

Smash Ace
@unityole: In response to the last part of your post there, these "top Brawl players" you keep mentioning haven't really come into contact with the Brawl group that has recently been formed here in Vancouver, and I'd really appreciate it if you didn't make assumptions about the difference in skill levels between said two groups of players. Heck, I think the only one of our group you've come into any significant contact with would be Firefly, and from what I understand it's mostly Melee and 64 being played at those SFU smashfests.

Anyways, it may be a newly formed group of players, and I know the only reason you're posting like that is because of Breez's post, but I'm just saying for future reference that we're not entirely a group of scrubs that just started playing the game. <_<

Also, can you tell some of those super amazing Brawl players you know to maybe come to a Brawl tournament sometime? Tell them they'll get to crush some dreams or get free money or something else like that so they'll actually come. :p If they're that good at Brawl then it's really a shame we haven't seen them yet, and maybe seeing some new faces and new competition will help at least few of them get back into the game.

unityole

Smash Lord
@unityole: In response to the last part of your post there, these "top Brawl players" you keep mentioning haven't really come into contact with the Brawl group that has recently been formed here in Vancouver, and I'd really appreciate it if you didn't make assumptions about the difference in skill levels between said two groups of players. Heck, I think the only one of our group you've come into any significant contact with would be Firefly, and from what I understand it's mostly Melee and 64 being played at those SFU smashfests.

Anyways, it may be a newly formed group of players, and I know the only reason you're posting like that is because of Breez's post, but I'm just saying for future reference that we're not entirely a group of scrubs that just started playing the game. <_<

Also, can you tell some of those super amazing Brawl players you know to maybe come to a Brawl tournament sometime? Tell them they'll get to crush some dreams or get free money or something else like that so they'll actually come. :p If they're that good at Brawl then it's really a shame we haven't seen them yet, and maybe seeing some new faces and new competition will help at least few of them get back into the game.
from what i believe firefly is probably the best out of you bunch, and i consider him as an Alberta brawl player and not BC. I know firefly is good and I can picture how good he can get, Ive also seen Superboom, which u probably never even heard of, the best from Alberta, play brawl and I know how good he is.

A 15 year old kid from Vancouver Island that mains fox, a couple of victoria players including Liverymen and Daltsy, a Ganondorf player from Kelowna (lowest tier brawl characters), Dynamism + Ptrozz from Kelowna and Kamloop would and will probably beat you guys really bad, say a 3 stocks match, they would probably only lose one. You see these players are probably the top 5 to 10 in BC where they cant make their way out easily unless they spend a large amount of time traveling, which they did to me and Meta's tourney.

a few brawl players that came to my Brawl tournament from last year and attends at UBC, Ced, Corbin and Twilightshadow and 1 of his friend, they are probably the best at UBC as well.

from what we all know the best brawl player 14 year old David is probably still the best in BC, unless his father thinks it will be worth his time, they will not make their way to UBC, ask them why and not me.

I've never turned down a money match, and I certainly wouldnt turn one down against a ****head like you.
even though he played brawl like 3 times, he will probably still beat u at brawl

although i wouldnt mind if anyone wants to money match me at smash brothers 64 for like a 100 dollars.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
The PR of AE asked CVGA to take charge of all game related tournaments that are going to happen at AE '10.

I am currently talking with the reps at nintendo to see if we can get some sponsoring from them for AE '10, it should be good though.

Take OV3 for example. melee doubles took quite a long time to complete and they started late which led to the start of singles being pushed back and subsequently caused singles to not be able to finish.
It's good to see someone with a brain is hosting the AE '10 games. I really hope you guys do melee. and if you get sponsors for this stuff, it'd be so good! I'd even enter Brawl!

Yeah, I'll have to agree that I'm known to come late to melee events (not OV3), and that's something the Melee community needs work on (i think). I'm still a bit bugged that Melee didn't finish at OV3, though.

To the Brawl players: i'm fairly disappointed in the way both your community and the melee community are handling things. OUR tournament got canceled, not yours. people like evan and jack might be throwing around harsh words because we're more passionate MELEE players and don't like seeing melee getting handled badly. they're probably worried that melee is gonna get the bad end of the stick again.
Personally, I'm not going to go around discouraging Brawl. I just don't want it getting in the way of Melee finishing. I'm already stuck in the Melee speed and playing Brawl makes me feel handicapped

Top Bottom