• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Over Represented Series for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
Anyone likes a good Mario character, but don't you think it's getting to be a bit much? On the other hand Pokemon does not seem to have enough slots with all the "I want Mew Two, I want Eevee, I want Pichu, and I want every pokemon back from brawl!

So, Who do you think is over represented?
Who needs over represented?
Who needs Representatives?

COMMENCE COMMENTS!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
My opinions on the amount of reps:
Mario: 6
DK: 3 - 4
Kid Icarus: 2
Kirby: 4
Pokémon: 5 - 6
Zelda: 5 - 6
Fire Emblem: 3

Top Candidates:
Mario: Bowser Jr., Toad, Paper Mario
DK: Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Kid Icarus: Palutena, Medusa, Hades
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Pokémon: Mewtwo, Genesect, Zoroark(disconfirmed)
Zelda: Vaati, Tingle, Ghirahim
Fire Emblem: Chrom, Robin, Lucina

Once again, these are my opinion! :)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I think the Mario series is fine as it is. 5 characters + 4 arguably related characters (Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong) is plenty.

Regardless of what you think of the Mario series, it makes sense for it to get this kind of representation. I think the main franchises have almost everyone they really need now.

I think niche franchises are under represented, but they only really need their primary protagonists.

Last edited:

Reader

Smash Apprentice
Mario is okay with five characters. We do have Mario related characters, and Donkey Kong series might get a newcomer.

Pokemon has already four characters, but I think it could have six characters. I see no reason to cut Jigglypuff and Mewtwo is very wanted and has large fanbase.

I think that Zelda series should get a newcomer. The question is, who is worthy of the slot? We do not need a third form of Zelda nor one-off Villains. I can only think of Vaati and Tingle, but Tingle should, in my opinion, represent his own sub-series.

I feel that Kid Icarus is under represented. They could add Palutena and/or Medusa. I also feel that Pikmin is under represented, but I'm not really sure do they need one more rep. Metroid could also have one more character slot, but chances are slim.

And to answer the question, I don't think that any series is over represented.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
This bothers me, how is Mario over represented when he's the flagship of Nintendo? Each of their characters are highly regarded and deserve their place. (Rosalina is the newest addition but slowly becoming a company staple). Even their side characters as mentioned above were once Mario series characters. If anything, they could actually add more to this roster and it wouldn't feel too big to me. The only thing I will admit feels wrong is when a lesser series gets no further representation or has them cut to make room for different players and/or clones. Granted Pikmin is stuck in the water but Captain Falcon deserves his due, as does Pit, Wario and even Yoshi.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Mario is fine as it is. I mean, even though I was already fine with the Melee picks for Mario, I think by now a new Mario newcomer was long overdue.

Can't say much about Pokemon because I'm not sure how it will be handled this time. I don't buy the whole "too many slots" issues, because the time taken to make the Trainers' pokemon in Brawl wasn't diminished by putting all 3 of them in a single slot. But I think 4-6 is a good ammount. I wouldn't want to see more than 6 to be honest, that number is quite pushing it if you ask me.

Then we have Zelda... It's probably the fact that I'm not a Zelda fan (despite me having played a lot of Zelda games), but I don't think we need anything beyond Good guy (Link), Bad Guy (Ganondorf), Damsel (Zelda)... and well, her alter ego who's actually pretty interesting now that she's a standalone character (Sheik). I never EVER liked Toon Link, but I tolerate him now a bit. I still find him un-needed, but I understand the importance of a kid Link character, especially since my favorite Zelda games use a child Link protagonist. Then what's left? A second rate villain? (Grihaim/Zant/etc)? Secondary good guys? There's really not a point.
MAYBE if we really need to push for 6 Zelda characters... maybe... just Tingle. But I think he's fine as an Assist Trophy. :p

-
As for under/non represented franchises, I say go for them. Especially non represented ones. The ammount of extra Nintendo "flavor" a completely new character brings to the table is great.
I just love how many new franchises we're getting so far in this game. And I hope we get more.

tl;dr: I think only Mario and Pokemon deserve up to 5-6 characters. Zelda should stick with 5, and then maybe DK and Metroid should each get 1 more. Then focus on franchises not yet present on Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
By now, with 4, Pokémon, to me, is poorly represented compared to how expansive is the universe. 7 is a good amout to me. The same amount of Brawl plus Mewtwo.
Mario is fine since we have Wario, Yoshi and DK. But one more would not hurt.
To me, Zelda needs one too.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah Zelda deserves one more. 6 seems good.

I will accept Classic Ganon and nobody else.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
For Smash 4, it should be something like

Mario (6)
Pokemon (5-6)
Zelda (5)
Kirby (3)
Metroid (3)
DKC (3)
Starfox (3)
Fire Emblem (2-3)
Mother (2)
Kid Icarus (2)

Unless I'm forgetting an important series, everything else should get 1 rep.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Super Mario: 6-7
Pokemon: 6-7
The Legend of Zelda: 5-6
Donkey Kong: 3-4
Kirby: 3-4
Metroid: 2-3
Star Fox: 2-3
Fire Emblem: 2-3
Kid Icarus: 1-2
Mother: 1-2

Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Kid Icarus could all use more reps. Star Fox and arguably Mother are over represented.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Wii Fit is over represented in Smash 4

Frontiers

Smash Cadet
I think mario and zelda are fine with five. Pokemon I think should have six. This leads to maybe future dlc characters to zelda and mario. Also I wouldn't mind a nother slot for mario and zelda I just think they're fine with five

Last edited:

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario : 5-6
Pokémon : 5-6
The Legend of Zelda : 5
Kirby : 3
Donkey Kong : 2
Metroid : 2 (I count ZSS a character)
Fire Emblem : 2-3
Starfox : 2-3
Kid Icarus : 1-2
Mother : 1-2

At least that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Remove Falco. Keep Wolf. At least Wolf is more unique compared to Falco... even if marginally. :awesome:
If Sheik (a character that appeared in only one game) was not cut even with the transformation cut, I can't see any meele rep being cut.
But Starfox is not over-represented. We have Falco, the the main wingmate, and Wolf, the feral rival. Both are amazing. And the Starfox series are back with the remake, and will probably get a new title. I can see Wolf keeping.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
-Star Fox and Mother are over-represented (both series have been dormant for years now and with no signs of any development whatsoever). Cut Lucas and Wolf.
-Donkey Kong and Zelda could have more characters. As well as Kirby (come on Sakurai throw a bone to the series you created)
-Mario and Pokemon can have as many as they want honestly, the games are extremely popular, top-sellers etc.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Too many Kid Icarus Items for their not to be another character. So we are probably getting another Kid Icarus character. DK needs more items and so do other series. I'd like for enemies to show up as items like Goombas/likelikes did in Melee sometimes. (I think?)

Chase

Smash Ace
  • Mario: 6
  • Pokémon: 6
  • Zelda: 5/6
  • Kirby: 3
  • Donkey Kong: 3/4
  • EarthBound: 2
  • Star Fox: 3
  • Fire Emblem: 3
  • Kid Icarus: 2
  • F-Zero: 2
  • Metroid: 3
All others get 1 rep. F-Zero and Donkey Kong are underrepped.

Last edited:

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
While I would love Dixie Kong to be a character, the Donkey Kong series doesn't really need another rep. Another Fire Emblem rep would be cool though.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Mario, Pokemon, Zelda: 6
Kirby: 4 (Bandana Dee)
Donkey Kong, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Star Fox: 3
Kid Icarus: 2
Everybody else: 1

Seems fair enough to me.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I think the Mario representation is fine. If they add in one more Mario character (hopefully Bowser Jr.) that would make 10 reps for the series, and 10 is cool because 10. Everyone knows that.

Kid Icarus needs one more rep, hopefully Palutena. I don't think the Zelda or Metroid series need any more reps. They should cut Squirtle and Ivysaur, and then put in Jigglypuff and Mewtwo to make six Pokemon reps. Pokemon is a big franchise, after all. Fire Emblem needs at least one more representative, because it is getting worldwide recognition/sales. Hopefully the Starfox series gets one more rep (Krystal, obviously). Mostly because I think it's cool they have two characters that kinda sorta play like Fox.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Mario (5-6)
Pokemon (6)
Zelda (5)
Donkey Kong (3)
Kirby (3)
Metroid (3)
Fire Emblem (3)
Starfox (3)
Kid Icarus (2)
Mother (2)
The rest with 1
We don't know all the characters but so far I don't think any franchise is over represented.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and perhaps Donkey Kong could use more. The rest I'm fine with staying where they are, but none should lose any for sure.

Last edited:

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I think mother deserves 3
Nah, it's a dormant series w/only one game released outside Japan that's a cult series. Ness is enough and Lucas is great but a second rep isn't really needed.
Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and perhaps Donkey Kong could use more. The rest I'm fine with staying where they are, but none should lose any for sure.
As much as I would love another F-Zero rep, it seems unlikely due to the fact that we haven't had a game in 10 years from the series.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Mario: 6
Toss Toad or Paper Mario in there.

Metroid: 3
Add the most obvious Metroid newcomer. Anthony Higgs.

Pokemon: 8
Keep all 6 Pokemon from Brawl, add Greninja, and back Mewtwo. The game series that prides itself on having hundreds of unique characters should not be gun shy about having an entire row to itself.

Fire Emblem: 3
Ike deserves to keep his spot, and I'm sure Sakurai could come up with something unique for Chrom or maybe Robin.

Dankey Kang: 3

King K. Rool for some nostalgia fueled villain-representation up in this house. That and it would just be too amazing not to have him fight Little Mac in a Boxing Ring.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
As much as I would love another F-Zero rep, it seems unlikely due to the fact that we haven't had a game in 10 years from the series.
It's the only one of the franchises seen in Smash 64 to still only have one character and that's kinda depressing. At least Metroid has ZSS.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I don't think star fox is overrepresented, sure it's not as popular as mario or zelda which I believe both franchises need at least 6. Anyways star fox is fine with 3 and I think deserves Krystal, it might have been awhile since a star fox game but they actually go into more story with their characters than any of the other franchises, it might not be all good but at least they try.

Morbi

Scavenger
Apparently F-Zero, one of the most prominent Smash franchises, is over-represented because the series is dormant. Dormant series don't need characters, but Captain Falcon is the only character, Sakurai would never remove the sole playable character from a franchise. It is unprecedented!

No series is over-represented in my opinion.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Mario- 6 (Bowser Jr, Paper Mario or my personal choice Antasma)
Zelda- 6 (Ghirahim)
PKMN- 6 pretty obvious who would be
Metroid- 3 same with pkmn
KI- 2 Palutena
DK- 3 King K rool
Mother- 1 the series doesn't need a 2nd rep, I would personally cut Lucas
Star Fox- 3 is ok
Kirby- same with SF
Fire Emblem- 2-3
The rest with 1

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh boy this thread is obnoxious :{

To me, series representation has to do with the following factors, in order:
SALES PROFIT for Nintendo
number of games
impact the games had on the company/video games
----------also--------
fame (how much do nongamers know it?)
characterization of players
uniqueness of characters

That in mind- of course how many a series gets is dependent upon the number of characters in the game. (since here, representation is characters, not items, stages, ATs, music, trophies, or stickers).

Mario could use a few more than it currently has, seeing as it has an incredible number of games, fame, impact on Nintendo, and of course- a few more iconic characters (plus the widest variance of any franchise in all of gaming. Dude is a part of every genre but first person shooter, which parts of other games arguably are.) To deny Mario this right, the fact that all of his games, worlds, characters, and experiences are so VASTLY different, and to lump them all together simply because he is in them, is ignorant. It is also in complete disregard for what Mario did for Nintendo. In the simplest breakdown, he easily has five separate franchises- Super Mario Platformer, Mario Sports, RPG Mario, Mario Party, Mario Kart-. without the spinoff character games (I mean, what the hell does Warioware have to do with Super Mario Land 2? A Character? The IP then is all that matters?

Not counting Yoshi, Wario, or DK series, I'd say it should have seven or eight.

I'd love for Yoshi and Wario to each get two. DK Three or Four. This is mostly because the iconography of the characters is insurmountable. But If between the three they only got five characters, that would be fine.

Pokemon is not all that different. Six to eight, though frankly I find it repugnant that solely Pokemon seem to be playable, as that poorly represents the wonderful world of Pokemon (it cuts out all the ways people are involved, and that which makes all the games so very different). 6-8

Kirby I could see getting four, considering the significance it has with Nintendo. But three feels fine.
Metroid is a super seller for Nintendo. Three or four easily.
Fire Emblem is also becoming quite popular, and could use at least 3, but until it grows more, that is good for now. Very vast universe, too, meaning more unique characters of significance.
Zelda could get a few, it is well known, a huge seller. The only issue with Zelda which makes it difficult is the non-vast universe, most unique characters are not recurring. So, I'd say five. Six could be merited, and I would choose Zelda, Link, Ganondorf, Impa, Vaati, and Toon Link only because... why not.

Icarus really shouldnt get more than one until it has more games, but as it likely will, two is great. Maybe even three by next game.

Pikmin is approaching two, but until it breaks a few more barriers, one is dandy.
Starfox is pushing it with two. If Krystal were instead of Falco, Id think it would make more sense. It does in no way merit four.

The rest.... really, one. Earthbound maybe two, simply for Japan. And if so, not Lucas. FZero is great with one.

Honestly, if there were any other plausible character for Game and Watch series, it deserves two. As there is no other unique character I can think of, one is fine. But it helped launch Nintendo games, and a ton of the characters we know now, and was revolutionary.

Super Mario : 5-6
Pokémon : 5-6
The Legend of Zelda : 5
Kirby : 3
Donkey Kong : 2
Metroid : 2 (I count ZSS a character)
Fire Emblem : 2-3
Starfox : 2-3
Kid Icarus : 1-2
Mother : 1-2

At least that's how I see it.
Sounds like you agree with Sakurai.
It's the only one of the franchises seen in Smash 64 to still only have one character and that's kinda depressing. At least Metroid has ZSS.
Yoshi, which has more games, and more current games, only has one.
I don't think star fox is overrepresented, sure it's not as popular as mario or zelda which I believe both franchises need at least 6. Anyways star fox is fine with 3 and I think deserves Krystal, it might have been awhile since a star fox game but they actually go into more story with their characters than any of the other franchises, it might not be all good but at least they try.
They go into more story with their characters than anyone else? Really? Lies. And how does that even matter for the series representation? There are only five starfox games, if I'm not incorrect. Pikmin is catching up on it!
If Sheik (a character that appeared in only one game) was not cut even with the transformation cut, I can't see any meele rep being cut.
But Starfox is not over-represented. We have Falco, the the main wingmate, and Wolf, the feral rival. Both are amazing. And the Starfox series are back with the remake, and will probably get a new title. I can see Wolf keeping.
The validity of the character doesnt really equate to me to being a good number of reps. Even if Falco and Wolf are both important to Starfox, what makes Starfox so important to Nintendo?

Frontiers

Smash Cadet
Mario subseries don't count as mario characters. If they have their on emblem they are their own series

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Mario: 11 (5 +Yoshi, DK, Diddy, Dixie, Wario and Paper Mario)
Pokemon: 6 (4 +Mewtwo, Jigglypuff)
Zelda: 5 (4 +Ganondorf )
Kirby: 3 (2 +Meta Knight)
Starfox: 2 (1 +Falco)
Fire Emblem: 3 (2 +Micaiah)
Metroid: 3 (2 +Ridley)
Kid Icarus:2 (1 +Palutena)
F- Zero:1 (Captain Falcon)
Earthbound:1 (Ness)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.