• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Female Demographic

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The issue with these types of discussions is that rather than stay on topic, people just want to debate the nature of women and that of the sexes comparatively instead of talking about codes of conduct in general.

My suggestion topic creator or anyone else who feels certain conduct in the community is wrong: make a topic directly addressing the behavior and the solution instead of making it about someone's gender, which is only an excuse for some to justify their ranting opinions about society instead of dealing with these specific circumstances.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Well this heated up fast.

Anyways, I'm glad everyone's staying on topic for the most part. But I think we've strayed away from the core of the problem of how we can spread our demographic to more females and how we treat them. Although, what you guys are discussing is a very critical topic that needs to be broken down.
The only real problem with this group is that there are more than a few people that apparently don't want this to change.
Too bad this isn't something that is negotiable, I'm pretty sure.
This was never something that had a choice about it, hmm.

You made an account just to regurgitate cultural Marxist nonsense in this thread. Reevaluate your life.
You are downplaying this entire debacle.

Practice what you preach, why don't you?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

income equality was disproved like multiple times in the past decade lol

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Somebody linked the first one in this topic I think. Here's all 4 of them. Just read them.

Men, Women, and Gaming: Part 1

MWG 2: The Discomfort Barrier, Stereotypes, and Selection

MWG 3: Men, Success, Failure, and Frustration

MWG 4: What Do We Do

I'm not saying Rob is 100% right and spills out only the unwavering truth. He isn't saying that either. But he brings up some really good points and you really should read all of these. Yeah they're long. Just do it. One of the more important things he brings up is how forums topics like this quickly get out of control and end up being totally unable to solve whatever issue was brought up.

Anyway I'm out.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
hahahaha omfg you suck go chop a tree down, BOY. WHY AREN'T YOU IN THE GARAGE FIXING MY CAR!!?!?

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
That **** is faker than cyberbullying. Also why do you even care about this? Go back to tumblr you girl
oh no I've been told to go back to tumblr whatever shall I do now

@Umbreon @ SixSaw SixSaw I've heard that but as far as I can tell the vast majority of peer-reviewed papers suggest that it exists. I mean editorial articles may say it doesn't but opinion pieces are untrustworthy at best.

Jarbinks9/11

Banned via Warnings
oh no I've been told to go back to tumblr whatever shall I do now

@Umbreon @ SixSaw SixSaw I've heard that but as far as I can tell the vast majority of peer-reviewed papers suggest that it exists. I mean editorial articles may say it doesn't but opinion pieces are untrustworthy at best.
Your opinion is untrustworthy at best

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Yeah, pretty much.

He and just about all of this community can't talk regarding discrimination based on gender.
I myself assume that basically 9/10 smashers do that same thing.
I've been wrong less than 100 times.

Jarbinks9/11

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, pretty much.

He and just about all of this community can't talk regarding discrimination based on gender.
I myself assume that basically 9/10 smashers do that same thing.
I've been wrong less than 100 times.
Because arguing for womens writes online is sure to get girls to like you. Perhaps theyll see just how nice and honorable you truly are! Haaaaaa just kidding women dont work that and nobody thinks any better of you because you dont say naughty words. Except for your grandma.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Or maybe I'm just a fan of equal rights.

I don't want girls clamoring after me. I already have enough temper issues dealing with people in general.
Like you.

Way to reinforce the stereotype of smashers being mouth-breathers who talk straight out of their rear-end-mounted blowholes.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna request this thread be locked/monitored a bit more. It'd be one thing to discuss a specific issue like @ Comeback Kid Comeback Kid said but like @ 9bit 9bit said, things are more than likely going to get out of hand and turn into some unnecessary debate as was exemplified in the last couple pages.

Jarbinks9/11

Banned via Warnings

I feel like this is relevant.
That would only be relevant if we were arguing about racism in the community, which firstly is a non issue and secondly doesnt matter at all for pm since black people arent uncool enough to play this game. If you people were cool and had actual black friends then wed be arguing about racial equality and not sexism >_________>
Or maybe I'm just a fan of equal rights.

I don't want girls clamoring after me. I already have enough temper issues dealing with people in general.
Like you.

Way to reinforce the stereotype of smashers being mouth-breathers who talk straight out of their rear-end-mounted blowholes.
That angst is so concentrated and pure that one would think you to be the most edged individual on the planet. However from your profile picture i can clearly see that you dont have any edges at all making me swallow my words.

Anyway face it man, equality is already present in the community. There are more people in it that are exactly like you than youd like to let yourself believe. Everyone is respectful for the most part and if a woman claims to have been harrassed i can guarantee you that 99% of the time it was from a misunderstanding, need for attemtion, or because a perfectly good intentioned smasher came off as creepy. When women like milktea go on tumblr to ***** about a community that they arent a part of its because theyre delusional feminist asians, the worst breed of feminist, who are dumb and dont know what theyre talking about. Another fun tidbit is that a girl in a club will more likely accuse a nerd saying hello of harrassing her than a beautiful stud lady killer that dry humps her. Women just like to cry all the time about stuff that doesnt matter < important life lesson.

And before you start ranting about how much you hate everyone and the world is filled with assholes and that youre the only model citizen in the world, keep in mind that you yourself are stereotyping your own pm community as a bunch of pushy neckbeards who always need to have their way and anyone who doesnt agree with their moral code is a jerk. As im typing this im having to wear a mask to protect myself from all of this euphoria.

Last edited:

Jarbinks9/11

Banned via Warnings
Its applicable to any minority group, really.
Im a mexo american and i can conclude that theres not much to understand about us as a people relative to whites or other races. While i love south park stuff like that isnt correct and blacks are just arrogant when it comes to racism. (Not being racist). When a black person says that whites will never understand their struggle its no differant than when goth kids claim that society as a whole will never figure them out. Some people just have their heads up their asses, if youre not a woman then its relatively simple to understand your motives and feelings

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I'll let this fool dig himself deeper.

There's your example of what NOT to act like, folks.

homesuck

Smash Rookie
blah blah blah

something about this is what i said on the first page

women don't deserve equal treatment outside of competitive environments
1. dude i never attacked you i used you as an example and i warned you that your behavior was dangerous

2. i did not repeat what you said on the first page. you explicitly said the part above in bold and i don't agree with that and i never said anything like that in my previous post. it's clear we disagree and at this point i don't care enough to say anything other than that

LMAO AT THIS FORBES ARTICLE BEING USED AS A DEFINITIVE SOURCE
-http://www.nwlc.org/resource/women-and-minimum-wage-state-state
-http://www.businessinsider.com/gender-pay-inequality-state-map-2014-4#!Jlazq
-http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p70-129.pdf page 13

lmao this guy is immature for not wanting to be apart of the conversation anymore
buddy this is a ****ty internet debate there is no shame in not seeing the point in sticking around, nor is there shame in deciding you don't want to listen to someone try and explain why they think they aren't being hazardous

5. speaking of which i'm unwatching this thread goodbye

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
There is a stereotype that girls aren't as good at games as guys. I think this was born of the fact that girls just usually take games less seriously than guys.
I think this is more of a history thing. Most competitive players have 15+ years of gaming experience if not more. There are some exceptions, but generally the more experience you have the better you get. The problem is that gaming was almost exclusively seen as a hobby for young men during the SNES and N64 eras and not a lot of girls played games (it was actually much less true in the NES era and before, loads of girls played games then, unfortunately most of them seemed to quit during the 16-bit console war). This results in very few female gamers who have played games for that long.

These days, systems like Wii and DS have shown that the gaming audience can be a lot more diverse than this, and as a result you're seeing way more girls playing games. 15 years from now, girl gamers probably won't be anywhere near as uncommon as they are now.

Another stereotype is that guys are physically stronger/ more dexterous than females. This one is without a doubt very controversial, but heavily based in fact as well. Guys naturally lose weight faster, build muscle faster, and develop muscle memory more easily as a whole.
The notion that physical prowess somehow affects gaming skill is hilariously jokey. Have you seen us? Gamers on the whole aren't exactly the pinnacle of physical fitness and athleticism, and those handful who are in good shape don't gain any advantage from it. You need fast fingers and reaction time to be a gamer and that's about it.

Now, the one thing that might be a factor is testosterone. It's well known that testosterone influences competitive behaviour and men have more of it (on average) than women. But there are still plenty of women athletes or women executives / politicians who in no way lack for competitiveness. I still think it's mostly that history issue + ongoing sexism in the community.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Are people really trying to argue that women are not naturally weaker physically then men?
This has gone from social justice white knighting to complete disregard of science to make oneself look more progressive, but in reality they're just looking like the biggest ****ing idiot out there, and it gives me aids.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
No one was denying the fact that men tend to be physically stronger than women. The post I quoted wasn't, and I wasn't either. It's totally irrelevant to video games though.

MLGF

Smash Lord
The fact it's called a controversy says it all.
People believing otherwise.

That's enough to make me facepalm.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Thanks for the lovely read everyone. I knew when I saw the title "Our Female Demographic" that it was going to be worth checking out and it delivered.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I think this is more of a history thing. Most competitive players have 15+ years of gaming experience if not more. There are some exceptions, but generally the more experience you have the better you get. The problem is that gaming was almost exclusively seen as a hobby for young men during the SNES and N64 eras and not a lot of girls played games (it was actually much less true in the NES era and before, loads of girls played games then, unfortunately most of them seemed to quit during the 16-bit console war). This results in very few female gamers who have played games for that long.

These days, systems like Wii and DS have shown that the gaming audience can be a lot more diverse than this, and as a result you're seeing way more girls playing games. 15 years from now, girl gamers probably won't be anywhere near as uncommon as they are now.

The notion that physical prowess somehow affects gaming skill is hilariously jokey. Have you seen us? Gamers on the whole aren't exactly the pinnacle of physical fitness and athleticism, and those handful who are in good shape don't gain any advantage from it. You need fast fingers and reaction time to be a gamer and that's about it.

Now, the one thing that might be a factor is testosterone. It's well known that testosterone influences competitive behaviour and men have more of it (on average) than women. But there are still plenty of women athletes or women executives / politicians who in no way lack for competitiveness. I still think it's mostly that history issue + ongoing sexism in the community.
Never said physical strength affected our gaming skills. Note the other two examples I gave, develops dexterity and muscle memory. Both play major roles in Super Smash Brothers.

D

Deleted member

buddy this is a ****ty internet debate there is no shame in not seeing the point in sticking around, nor is there shame in deciding you don't want to listen to someone try and explain why they think they aren't being hazardous
ignoring what other people think and dismissing them while preserving your own dogmatic views regardless of presentation is much more dangerous than anything vashimus has said. if you don't care what other people have to say then get off of the internet.

Top Bottom