• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

flash7

Smash Journeyman
They're not bad if you know the people.

I never really tried bullet eater mode, thought it was simpler but now that I think about it since you arent kiiling anyone, youll sure to be bombarded with bullets.

Ill bring my ps2 on friday then.

Squash

Fogel

Smash Lord
You have a very interesting job, although without sleep I couldnt function. Do cargo vans have seats besides the front ones?

Harold: It all depended if either Cam or Derek were going to Niagara, as it seems that they wont then we will most likely be teaming up unless you plan to team with your brother. I can try to find some decent through the thread or just use level 9 random.
Derek is interested...if you guys hook him up with the details he may be able to go. I personally don't think I'm going to go to this one.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I MIGHT be able to make it to Sunday squash, I'll have to check my schedule. I'm not too keen on having to leave so early to go to work though. :(

GGs tonight Suo. Those tilts are like O.J, so fast and hard that they can get away with murder! After our game meeting and such, Jan and I came back here and we played Mortal Kombat 5.3 for a nice while. Once you really start to get into that game you realize that it kicks just as much *** as any other. It's simple but has as many yomi opportunities as any other fighter. Plus, unlike Smash, Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, etc., Mortal Kombat doesn't take itself too seriously. Haha, kick to the balls (x2) followed by a head pop. Fatality!

Jobin, I guess I'll show up on Friday then. Not bringing you Shadow of the Colossus would be a horrible crime. Didn't you already spoil that game to hell and back though? It's very spoiler heavy since it's basically a puzzle game.

EDIT: Jobin, can you bring Twilight Hackcess tomorrow? I'm not going to miss out on some Tatsunoko action later this year!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I can only hope to god that I can make it today, since group assignment is ghey I have to make up with one of my partners shortcomings -_-

Linkshot

Smash Hero
if (%download = English ROM) { /run %downloadurl }
elseif (%download = English Patch) { /halt }
else { /echo ERROR! NO ENGLISH MOTHER 3 YET! }

--------

Bringing a Wii and TV tonight, guys. I hope this gets used XD

flash7

Smash Journeyman
The wii will for sure, I might make use of your tv though to play some melee/Ikaruga. Anyone up for doing two player bullet eater mode? :p

Its always better to bring a wii otherwise we usually end up with one brawl and one melee setup.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Orlando: I'm totally up for some Ikaruga madness.

Harold: I didn't spoil it too bad for myself seeing how I've never actually played the game yet and its been a while since it came out so it's almost new to me. I will bring Twilight for you as well.

Randy: Pull a Derek for a day and don't do the assignment. Maybe the assignment will fire you... then you're off the hook.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I just pulled and Derek and sikpped my assignment right after asking if they needed me :p

not really,our discussion ended early so...I'LL BE COMING!

I'm up for some ikaruga and MELEE! and other games tonight, rukshuk!?!

also, why would I want to play Mother 3 when much more viable games like Arcana Hearts and SWR are able to not only provide me with hot underage girls, but fantastic gameplay?

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I just downloaded, patched and played it a bit. Wow, it's so nice to touch Mother 3 again (albeit in English rom form this time)! I doubt that I'll actually go through it again though (at least not for a few years). It's one of those moments where I enjoyed it so much that going through it again will feel hollow compared to the first time (which is why I'll never play Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, Pokémon, etc. again).

My Smash/Mother 3 story:
A long time ago, when Earthbound came out, a friend of mine was a huge fan of it while I never gave it a genuine chance. I hated RPGs back then (with the notable exception of Chrono Trigger) so I didn't pay any attention to it. Later on, Smash Bros. came out and I was all, like, "Who the heck is "Ness"? Earthbound!? He's from that weirdo game?" However, since I was a huge fan of RPGs at that time (tastes can chance so radically over time, no?) I tried it out and I totally loved it, so much so that Ness (along with Roy and Mewtwo) was the only character I used in Melee.

Fast forward to before last summer, when Brawl was first announced. I was pissed off that Nintendo was just regurgitating the 'same thing' again and again. I mean the 'Revolution' was supposed to change things up, right? Anyhow, although I was a big Melee fan I didn't care much for another sequal.

That summer, Mother 3 was announced, which I imported, played with the help of a translation guide on Gamefaqs (I can read kana so it wasn't too bad), and became deeply attached to.

Come fall and I was playing something or another when my brother casually told me that 'Lucas' was going to be in the new Smash Brothers. "Who the hell's 'Lucas'?" I asked (as his name is actually 'Ryuka' in Mother 3). He then showed me and I was so floored that I did a complete 180 on my views about Brawl. It was from that day onwards that I checked the DOJO every single day like the good little nerd that I was. Lucas got me back into Smash, which lead to playing with Orlando and the likes again which eventually led to my being here on Smashboards! :)

So, in celebration of the English patch I'll be showing up to the smashfest tonight to rep Lucas and his game!

//**************************************************************
Ariel: Get Shadow of the Colossus back ASAP!
//**************************************************************

Linkshot

Smash Hero
So much fun tonight! Glad my TV got used.

By the way, is there Ikaruga data on my Wii/Memory Card now? :p

I'm taking Fox in as a main now, but I do want to keep my ZSS up. I feel she's been falling behind lately.

The reason I can't maintain winning streaks in a bi-weekly setting is that there's a lot more pressure on me and people are probably playing better than they would in casual settings. Nonetheless, I DEFINITELY need to work on my mindgames. I'm way too technical at the moment. I think Fox is going to help me out a little with his quick style.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
you cant really be that technical in brawl, its all mindgames and spacing. Get those down and youll be a competitor for top spot as well :).

Too many lul moments tonight.

Oh by the way Ariel, I think you mean drinks.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Apples to Apples was definitally the highlight of the night, **** that game is great, it is alot better than ruk shuk in my book.

To Ariel: yet next time I want a free refill, I should be carrying an empty DRINK around so I can go into Mikey D's and just fill it up.

PND

Smash Champion
You know, at first I was fairly opposed to the hacks. . . now I'm starting to think that they really will be needed to prevent the stagnation of Brawl's metagame. It's better than banning Metaknight, IMO.

But a Wavedashing, L-Cancelling Snake gives me nightmares.

Locke)

Smash Ace
LEONIDORF WILL REIGN SUPREME ONCE AGAIN!!

If I bring my wii to the next event can someone list the things I'll need to get the ocarina hack? I have twilight princess and all that jazz, so let me know.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's kinda well, y'know, pretty hard to legitimately defend hacks as something that balances a game out. Come to think of it, I don't know why anyone would actually think they could do it.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Forget essays

MK air moves when touching the ground are almost lag free, similar to lets say an L-cancelling Melee character. Other characters in the game dont get this type of benefit, therefore by allowing others to l-cancel alot of characters can now stand a chance against MK but also other top/high tier characters. Of course there will always be tiers but now it might just close the gap between MK and the rest of the cast.

Im just playing devils advocate, personally I like the hacks for the lulz but if somehow it became a tournament standard I wouldnt be completely against it. Dont knock it till you tried it :).

If Jan comes he'll be able to hook you up with hack.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Man Brawl L-cancelling, that's too good.

It's a shame, because I think I would have more fun playing Brawl with some of the tweaks that the hacks bring, but it seems like the general sentiment is that hacks will never, ever, become the standard.:(

The main complaints are that you shouldn't have to massively change a game to make it competitive, if you have to then find a better game. Also, that to play on hacked Wii's makes it very possible for cheating to occur, such as making changes to move properties or w/e without telling the players.

I'd like to see if they could come up with a hack that like scanned the wii to make sure that only the accepted hacks were present, that could potentially solve the cheating problem.

Oh I suppose the other complaint is that it splinters the community because any new people would have to hack their Wii's just to be able to play Brawl 2.0

Anyway, I still really enjoy Brawl as is, but it's interesting to see all this crazy stuff.

Anyone up for some Brawl this week? I am itching to get some practice in before the Bi-weekly.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
It is funny because if the hack were to be implemented, it would just be melee 2 .0 without the midgames

Locke)

Smash Ace
Its not like the game was changed in a revolutionary way. Adding aspects that were present in previous installments is simply using technology to give us a game we'd play more. Can you imagine a bi-weekly final that donesn't involve two marths? I know I can't wait.

PS Has anyone told derek his ike will stand a chance now after this hack?

Just a thought, these shouldn't be called hacks, but rather patches :laugh: Blizzard "hacks" their games to provide more balance and new features. Hacking is such a hateful word, but patching fits better :chuckle:

Edit: Mindgames aren't game-specific. Making your opponent guess what your next move will be is universal, so I don't see how brawl has "lost" any midgames since melee.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
No, they're hacks. Patches are officially released by the company to 'fix issues'. If Nintendo has no intention to fix anything, then they aren't patches, and it's all running as intended.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you Locke, if there was enough impetus in the community then we as a community could patch the game.

It will definitely be interesting to see which way this will turn out, whether the community as a whole embraces these 'patches' or ignores them. :)

Locke)

Smash Ace
No, they're hacks. Patches are officially released by the company to 'fix issues'. If Nintendo has no intention to fix anything, then they aren't patches, and it's all running as intended.
So the only difference between hacking and patching is that its done by the company. So does an unofficial patch sound better?

Imo turning every character into SWR character and have them shooting lazer beams out of their eyes would be a hack because it's ridiculous and abnormal for smash. These additions are merely for the enjoyment of smashers that want more from brawl.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Can you imagine a bi-weekly final that donesn't involve two marths? I know I can't wait.

PS Has anyone told derek his ike will stand a chance now after this hack?
Marth isn't in the top five of Brawl so I doubt that Orlando, Derek, Jesus, Cameron, Moses, etc. pick him because of that. He's good and he's 'cool' which is why he's played so often. Ottawa just has better taste than the rest of the MetaSnake loving world. :) Besides, the next bi-weekly will end with Lucas vs. Marth. ;)

Ike won't stand a chance much more than Bowser, Ganon, etc. The tiers will shift around a bit for sure but I doubt that they'll change in any sort of monumental way, especially for can-even-be-gimped-by-water-gun Ike.

I personally prefer lag after certain attacks. When Link plunges his sword into the ground (his down air is quite strong already) I like how he has to work to pull it out. A Bowser that can aerial like mad just isn't right either. I don't necessarily mind 'hacks' and such but hacks they are. They'll also never be tournament standard as new Wiis are already patched (more like hacked :laugh:) with the latest in Nintendo's anti-Twilight firmware.

On a more irrelevant note: turns out that Mortal Kombat Armageddon has more in common with Marvel vs. Crapcom 2 than just a huge roster - every single character has at least one infinite. :( Fatality!

Dice

Smash Lord
Adding these "hacks" will make brawl so much better. All I really wanted from brawl was melee with more chars and more balance. Instead they took out options which just made the game competitively available to scrubs who cried about advanced techniques because they couldn't implement them properly. But now that these techniques are once again available, these same scrubs will cry about not wanting it in the game because they don't want a "melee 2.0". Unfortunately for me, that's what I wanted :(

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Marth isn't in the top five of Brawl so I doubt that Orlando, Derek, Jesus, Cameron, Moses, etc. pick him because of that. He's good and he's 'cool' which is why he's played so often. Ottawa just has better taste than the rest of the MetaSnake loving world. :) Besides, the next bi-weekly will end with Lucas vs. Marth. ;)

Ike won't stand a chance much more than Bowser, Ganon, etc. The tiers will shift around a bit for sure but I doubt that they'll change in any sort of monumental way, especially for can-even-be-gimped-by-water-gun Ike.

I personally prefer lag after certain attacks. When Link plunges his sword into the ground (his down air is quite strong already) I like how he has to work to pull it out. A Bowser that can aerial like mad just isn't right either. I don't necessarily mind 'hacks' and such but hacks they are. They'll also never be tournament standard as new Wiis are already patched (more like hacked :laugh:) with the latest in Nintendo's anti-Twilight firmware.

On a more irrelevant note: turns out that Mortal Kombat Armageddon has more in common with Marvel vs. Crapcom 2 than just a huge roster - every single character has at least one infinite. :( Fatality!
I beg to differ, I remember hearing Randy say often that he could predict or out mindgame some of our MK players but because of Ganons laggy aerials and what not he can not capitalize on it to punish them. With this addition it allows the ganon player more options. In the end tiers will matter but I believe with these options the better player will win more often.

It also kinda makes shield gabs less effective which alot of characters can fall victim to. Heres an example of how Ike can improve with this. Check out some of the Dair to Uair combos, thats right, COMBOS :p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjIt3e9VR_0

Im pretty sure they already worked around the anti-twilight patch. People who updated their wii's with the patch can still hack them.

Who is in for squash tomorow?
So far Me and Joblin.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Forget essays

MK air moves when touching the ground are almost lag free, similar to lets say an L-cancelling Melee character. Other characters in the game dont get this type of benefit, therefore by allowing others to l-cancel alot of characters can now stand a chance against MK but also other top/high tier characters. Of course there will always be tiers but now it might just close the gap between MK and the rest of the cast.

Im just playing devils advocate, personally I like the hacks for the lulz but if somehow it became a tournament standard I wouldnt be completely against it. Dont knock it till you tried it :).

If Jan comes he'll be able to hook you up with hack.
L-cancelled turtle ftw

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Jobin: As far as I know (rather, as far as I'm concerned), no.

By the way guys, read this: http://www.shoryuken.com/?p=265#more-265

It's an interesting interview with the host of the EVO items-on Brawl tournament. He brings up a lot of good points about how the Smash community works (and doesn't work) as well as some insight into how stubborn some players are based on other's thinking.

While I'm not sold on items there was one thing that I HIGHLY agree with: True Counterpicking! That is to say that the loser of the match gets to pick both his own character as well as the stage while the winner is unable to change ANYTHING, not even his character. Sometimes I've felt that counterpicking in Brawl has been a bit of a joke since the opponent can just switch to a character that does well on that level. True counterpicking is the way to go and I can't quite understand why the hell pseudo counter-picking is currently the norm.

Dice: That's how I initially felt about Street Fighter IV. Once I stopped longing for a Street Fighter III: Forth Attack! and started accepting that it's a different game (in many ways the Brawl to Third Strike's Melee) I came to accept it and now I'm rabidly hunting down matches to watch (and characters to facepalm at - Sakura!? WHY?).

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
According to Wiki:

There are several versions of Apples to Apples including: Apples to Apples (2001), Apples to Apples Junior 9+ (2002), Apples to Apples Kids, Apples to Apples: Jewish Version, and Apples to Apples: Bible Edition.

idk about you guys, but apples to apples jewish and bible seem like they'd be filled with lolz.
Ex:
Topic= Messiah

Cards= Mud, Attack on Pearl Harbor, Pushups, Captain Falcon and Pirates

It's gonna be close between Mud and Captain Falcon.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
lol at that guy. Evo wasnt boycotted its just that most of the people who play smash didnt want to enter a tournament in vegas that included such a huge luck factor. The true conter picking makes alot of sense though. Isnt that how they do it in SF?

Top Bottom