• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

buenob

Smash Lord
Mike's example of not knowing how to beat a Dedede outside of Norfair can be reversed into saying that the Dedede player did not know how to beat a Snake/Jiggly outside of the very Dedede-friendly flat levels.
that's pretty insulting to the other players skill... mike can speak for himself, this D3 player (Doc) was an absolutely fantastic player, and since norfair was banned, there can be no counter-examaple... it's baseless slander :p and I know it to be false

i will never play a tourney that is only CP's... I'll friendly people with that in mind, but that's not the game I will put money on for an entire tournament (maybe a MM)

I stage strike pretty quickly, so I don't mind having 11 stages to strike from, and then only having that list

im gonna doulbe check, but I don't have a problem with the list

arsenic41

Smash Ace
3. Also part of our clean, updated ruleset should be a specific list of what is and is not banned. Off the top of my head I can name:
- Meta Knight's infinite cape (I doubt anybody could do it long enough to stall a match to any real degree but since it changes the dynamic of the game so much - and it's boring - it's ban worthy)
- Standing infinites. Specifically, Marth's Ness infinite grab and Dedede's infinite grab on Samus, DK, etc. If you don't move at least ever so slightly forward, it's banned. HOWEVER, this brings into question the Ice Climbers and Pikachu's chain throws. If they can have 0% - death combos why can't Marth and Dedede?
Pikachu's CG's don't usually end in a stock, just alot of damage.

I'm still on the fence for the IC's, it is true that they have the most broken CG in the game (they always did) however, it is not like it is easy to pull off. And their grab range is very short. IC's are like glass cannons, destructive until you hit them. In this mindset, I don't think IC's CG's should be banned.

What I'm trying to say is that Pikachu and IC's don't lock away certain characters from competitive gameplay. DDD already makes a certain number of characters unusable in that match up, so it is viewed that a technique like that should be banned.

Oh, and I agree to the stage list

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I agree with Randy. Any infinite/CG that requires intermediate tech skill should be allowed. Anything that is as simple as "just press grab again" should definitely be banned.

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
I agree with Randy. Any infinite/CG that requires intermediate tech skill should be allowed. Anything that is as simple as "just press grab again" should definitely be banned.
I don't think it's so much this, as players are still going to be doing them.

It's just that playing a game against DDD and not getting grabbed is basically impossible whereas against ice climbers it's not so unreasonable.

Also, DDD has better non-grab options than ice climbers which further balances.

jan

Smash Cadet
Montreal and Toronto obviously aren't concerned with what stages we're playing, so why should we care about what stages they're playing? It just seems weird to me that Ottawa is trying to copy everyone else while they're all just getting better at their own city's ruleset.

Why not make a ruleset unique to Ottawa and master it (especially if it has unorthodox stages) so that we can have the advantage on the out-of-towners when they come here? As much as as the SBR attempts to be a standard, the game does change from area to area, which I think is one of Brawl's most interesting features.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Hey, guys, I'm sorry, but I can't make it this evening. And I was really looking forward to it, too.

So, ya, I'm not sure if I've told you guys this but I suffer from a vertigo condition. It's pretty messed. It's due to muscles and parts of my skull mashed together in my neck. Basically, this translates to horrible feelings of dizziness with any movement... I have had it for a little more than two years now, but I have found someone who is treating it and have seen improvement. (yay :bee:) Well anyways, I have good days and bad days, and today happens to be one of the bad days... When I get like this, I feel like crap, and can't play for crap either. lol. This is why I on longer days my skill can taper off.

Well anyways, bottom line is I can't make it out tonight, and neither can Mel (my gf) because she's not well either. Also, it would be weird if she went without me.

Well, good luck guys, and I'll see you all later. :D

Fogel

Smash Lord
Full singles results as calculated by SWISS (results may be slightly different depending on which tiebreaks Ben used):

===Swiss Biweekly #3 results===
1. buenob Swiss Points: 10 Match W/L: (5-0) Game W/L: (10-2) Opp W/L: (16-9) Opp Game W/L: (37-24)
2. Orlando Swiss Points: 8 Match W/L: (4-1) Game W/L: (8-3) Opp W/L: (15-10) Opp Game W/L: (34-27)
3. Zylem Swiss Points: 6 Match W/L: (3-2) Game W/L: (8-6) Opp W/L: (13-12) Opp Game W/L: (28-31)
4. HiDef Swiss Points: 6 Match W/L: (3-2) Game W/L: (7-5) Opp W/L: (14-11) Opp Game W/L: (31-26)
5. SAUS Swiss Points: 6 Match W/L: (3-2) Game W/L: (7-5) Opp W/L: (13-10) Opp Game W/L: (30-26)
6. knuckles Swiss Points: 6 Match W/L: (3-2) Game W/L: (7-5) Opp W/L: (13-10) Opp Game W/L: (29-25)
7. Linkshot Swiss Points: 6 Match W/L: (3-2) Game W/L: (7-6) Opp W/L: (11-14) Opp Game W/L: (28-31)
8. Arsenic Swiss Points: 4 Match W/L: (2-3) Game W/L: (6-6) Opp W/L: (12-13) Opp Game W/L: (30-30)
9. Moses Swiss Points: 4 Match W/L: (2-3) Game W/L: (6-6) Opp W/L: (9-14) Opp Game W/L: (21-31)
10. rc-80 Swiss Points: 4 Match W/L: (2-3) Game W/L: (6-6) Opp W/L: (8-15) Opp Game W/L: (20-33)
11. Fogel Swiss Points: 4 Match W/L: (2-3) Game W/L: (4-8) Opp W/L: (15-10) Opp Game W/L: (36-25)
12. IvanEva Swiss Points: 2 Match W/L: (1-2) Game W/L: (2-4) Opp W/L: (6-7) Opp Game W/L: (14-16)
13. Jesse Swiss Points: 0 Match W/L: (0-5) Game W/L: (0-10) Opp W/L: (13-12) Opp Game W/L: (34-29)

(I will edit in doubles results here once I go downstairs where tio is)

GG everyone; despite my terrible placement, I was able to beat some people I've never been able to before so I'm somewhat happy. I hope my challenge to myself this month works out in the long term :) Thanks to those who gave advice and pointers in person, I appreciate it.

Someone forgot a pair of glasses in the basement; people have suggested that they're Dave's.

@Jiggernaut: Sorry to hear about your condition :( Hope you're feeling better soon!

Pho

Smash Journeyman
I just realized I played Buenob at AaCaG. It'll be nice to see what the competition is like when I move out to Ottawa for school.

buenob

Smash Lord
actually... HiDef came 3rd, because for the first tiebreaker I used sum of opponents wins... that was always what they did for Go, so I just kinda defaulted to that...

and I think pho was the toon link from pools? i'm lookin' forward to playing you again

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I can't say that I enjoyed this bi-weekly, and for more reasons than just my crappy playing.

First things first: Have the bi-weekly rules set up BEFORE people sign up for them. If I signed up (or Ariel signed me up...) for a bi-weekly that has a certain stage list that should be what is used. No last-minute changes. A lot of people at the bi-weekly didn't seem to know which levels were 'legal' and which weren't. There was confusion and it made everything look terribly unprofessional. Don't assume that everybody crawls the boards prior to a bi-weekly.

Second: We're getting really bad with starting the tournaments promptly. This time wasn't too too bad but some others have really pushed things a bit late. Also, when tournament matches are called and people continue to play friendlies it wastes a lot of time.

Third: While things usually go well, on occasion conflicts happen over who plays on what television. The best way to do things is to have each television be a 'station' and have the tournament organizer call out the matches and which stations they will take place at. This will eliminate any television problems, give the tournament organizer a better sense of how the tournament is progressing and it will speed things up considerably.

On that note, Ben, if there isn't an official rule that winners matches automatically get priority for the big television than that's a load of bull****. Outside of grand finals, all matches are equal and nobody is entitled to the big television any more than anybody else. Again, this won't be a problem with assigned stations.

I'd like to reiterate that the first post is a mess and is terribly unhelpful as far as having a complete ruleset readily available. I'd like to propose that Ben take over the post and status as tournament organizer, if he is willing. Perhaps a new thread would then be needed. I feel that he's the most qualified and would do the best job (even if we never agree on stages :p) especially in keeping things running smoothly. Ben's maturity and experience as a tournament organizer would be better for the community as a whole and having a FULL ruleset written out, whether written by Ben himself or otherwise, is something that we should have had a while ago.

Lastly, I may be alone on this but I'm not terribly fond of having the basement stink of cigarette smoke or weed. While asking people to refrain from such during a bi-weekly may be too much, it would be nice if a bit more effort went into hiding the smell from the rest of us.

That we are on going on to a twenty-sixth bi-weekly is a good sign but there are plenty of ways that we can improve the whole experience for everyone.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The basement smells of cigs and weed now? This a new thing Harold? Because last time I was there I don't remember noticing anything like that, and I usually have a good nose for these kind of things. And Harold, I don't think the bi-weekly could've been THAT disorganized and things.....right?

Fogel

Smash Lord
I can't say that I enjoyed this bi-weekly, and for more reasons than just my crappy playing.

First things first: Have the bi-weekly rules set up BEFORE people sign up for them. If I signed up (or Ariel signed me up...) for a bi-weekly that has a certain stage list that should be what is used. No last-minute changes. A lot of people at the bi-weekly didn't seem to know which levels were 'legal' and which weren't. There was confusion and it made everything look terribly unprofessional. Don't assume that everybody crawls the boards prior to a bi-weekly.

Second: We're getting really bad with starting the tournaments promptly. This time wasn't too too bad but some others have really pushed things a bit late. Also, when tournament matches are called and people continue to play friendlies it wastes a lot of time.

Third: While things usually go well, on occasion conflicts happen over who plays on what television. The best way to do things is to have each television be a 'station' and have the tournament organizer call out the matches and which stations they will take place at. This will eliminate any television problems, give the tournament organizer a better sense of how the tournament is progressing and it will speed things up considerably.

On that note, Ben, if there isn't an official rule that winners matches automatically get priority for the big television than that's a load of bull****. Outside of grand finals, all matches are equal and nobody is entitled to the big television any more than anybody else. Again, this won't be a problem with assigned stations.

I'd like to reiterate that the first post is a mess and is terribly unhelpful as far as having a complete ruleset readily available. I'd like to propose that Ben take over the post and status as tournament organizer, if he is willing. Perhaps a new thread would then be needed. I feel that he's the most qualified and would do the best job (even if we never agree on stages :p) especially in keeping things running smoothly. Ben's maturity and experience as a tournament organizer would be better for the community as a whole and having a FULL ruleset written out, whether written by Ben himself or otherwise, is something that we should have had a while ago.

Lastly, I may be alone on this but I'm not terribly fond of having the basement stink of cigarette smoke or weed. While asking people to refrain from such during a bi-weekly may be too much, it would be nice if a bit more effort went into hiding the smell from the rest of us.

That we are on going on to a twenty-sixth bi-weekly is a good sign but there are plenty of ways that we can improve the whole experience for everyone.
1. This is the first week we used the 'new' ruleset; every other week, things have been pretty consistent, so I'd say it's unfair that this criticism applies in general. Personally, in all the matches I played in, the correct stages were used (the standard 5 from Montreal/Toronto). However, now that we've done it once, maybe we should confirm whether this will be set in stone, or just a temporary thing.

2. To add to this, one thing that can help with time is people remembering to bring their Wiis. We only had 3 setups this week despite me asking explicitly for people to bring them along (meaning only two people listened to me).

3. This is a good idea; I also noticed a little too much bickering over TVs this week. As for the ruleset, yeah, we should paste in the details, especially on which infinites are and aren't allowed (ex: the Pika CG discussions earlier).

4. I agree that weed smell has been more of a problem lately; I don't like it either (double that it's my house on top of that). To those who smoke/smoke up during the tournaments: perhaps stay outside for a minute or two after once you're done smoking to minimize/avoid this? The past few weeks have been especially bad.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Hey you guys! Biweekly was good as always, though I too have a couple comments.

I talked it over with Harold and we agreed that since Randy is often busy now, that perhaps someone who has more free time to mess around on smashboards should take care of the first post. We agreed that Ben might be best, but I think Cam would also be great, assuming either of you want/can regularly update it.

I too have noticed the smokey smells lately. Since summer is arriving and things are going to get hot and stuffy, this should be addressed. I recommend a small febreeze that you can give yourself a quite spray with. Or colonge(though febreeze is much cheaper). It just takes one or two small sprays problem solved.

Maybe this is just me, but I have felt a bit of stress and tension while playing lately. I've also been somewhat rude too. I'm going to take a short break. After climbing a bit with Harold and Patrick I realize that I kind of miss being outside, so I'm going to focus a little less on smash. This also means my wii won't be around, at least for a short while.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Sure

10fillers

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
I'd just like to say the only reason I don't bring a wii is because I come straight from work.

Maybe this is just me, but I have felt a bit of stress and tension while playing lately. I've also been somewhat rude too. I'm going to take a short break.
welcome to me for awhile too!

^ see why i wasnt in singles

Especially after that crap I spewed at randy during doubles

buenob

Smash Lord
lolz... well, i guess i've been voulentold!

joking aside, I wouldn't mind running things, I find it pretty easy to do and still play, and I just officially got friday evenings off work for smash (and mondays for tennis on the note of outdoors things) so I should be there a bit more regularly too... i can probably start bringing my wii (// leaving one there once I get my power cables back from alan)

as for tv's... if it's not just first come first served, then there's the issue of who gets the tv's, and if left to me, I would just say whoever is on the "winners" side gets first dibs, and if there's 2 matches with equal claim, one can just wait... i don't know why you wouldn't reward people for doing well... if there is a free tv and people still refuse to play, that's lame and should never be tolerated

as for the smoke, i can totally understand where people are coming from... people who don't smoke are being quite laid back and good natured about the people who do, so I don't see why a little extra precautions couldn't be taken to make it a nice experience for everyone

Linkshot

Smash Hero
If somebody just has to smoke for whatever reason, I'd appreciate it not being done during the tournament; namely afterward.

Yes, I'm a narc, but I don't rat out my friends.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Rules for 'winners having the tv' are good and great and, most importantly, official only if and when they're IN THE RULES. That's the key thing that we need. A complete rule set. A simple way of calling the matches is that the order you call them in (with, I'm assuming winners first) is the order of which station to play at.

So Ben, are you officially taken over as T.O? If so, I'd recommend either Randy sharing his login with you or (for privacy reasons) starting Ottawa bi-weeklies II Turbo. I'll help you write out a complete ruleset if you'd like (minus stages because you kids play on boring levels :p).

On another note, some quick shoutouts:

Bryant: I liked you better when I could beat you. :) Great job shooting up. You've ninja'd your way into high tier.

Patrick (who doesn't read this anyways...): Sorry for sucking royally as a partner this time. I wasn't into it and my tornado is fueled by motivation so... yeah.

Derek (who also doesn't read this...): Losing to Ike is always embarassing... The games you play with your mind are always stellar.

Moses: Welcome back! :)

Randy: Next time you don't put my team name exactly as I say it, I'll be withdrawing from the tournament and never showing up again. Seriously.

buenob

Smash Lord
haha, if i'm running things, then randy will not be inputting the names :) ...

I propose we basically keep the 7 starter stages, but switch out delphino for lylat, and castle seige for ps1...

also, I would like to move from counter to banned, norfair, ps2, and pirate ship... ship i could deal with staying counter if there's a huge uproar on this, but I find both the other levels too invasive to play...

and somethings been bugging me since I got back and posted about how I wanted to get better and all that jazz... mostly, I personally don't find the two goals of "having fun" and "playing to win" mutually exclusive... I think that the fact that ariel felt he had to ask permission to play some lolz matches makes me kinda frustrated with the overall situation... and since we got back, drama has started to erupt! and I hate drama lol

my stance on "the lolz" is decidedly more hardlined than a lot of others, but really the only time it gets on my nerves is when I have money on the line, and other people are not being courteous enough not to distract us still competing... I have a tonne of fun when I'm playing "seriously" like this, and it's frustrating when I'm not able to fully enjoy it... that being said, when i'm having friendlies with people, I couldn't care less if theres an epic match of MvC Brawl or Soccer going on next to me...

I guess my hope is that we're all able to still get what we want out of this community, and that people relax and remember that it is supposed to be fun, and I definitely think it's possible to get significantly better at the game while still having fun :)

/random rant

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I'm opposite. I'd rather keep Norfair and PS2 and have Mansion leave. No reason; just preference. I still enjoy Pirate ship but won't mind it leaving. Norfair I will miss and I don't agree that it's too invasive. PS2 is not too invasive for me. It's kinda ********, but it only mildly changes gameplay from my perspective. I'd vote to keep PS2 in. Pirate and Norfair can go if you really want them too. Kick mansion out.
My three cents.

@Ben-I was asking for random stuff on non-biweeklies. Since the atmosphere has become more competitive I have found it more tense and not fun. I don't mean tense as 'gameplay is too intense', I mean it like there has been tension in the air. If everyone wants to get better I don't want to get in the way with custom stages and whatnot(though I don't think all custom stages are unplayable for high level play).

buenob

Smash Lord
lol i forgot about the house... yeah i'm down for it not being legal either... though I really would rather ps2 gets the boot...

random stuff on smashfests is kinda the key... if some people want to play "serious business" styles, then they will, and if others want to play for lolz, then they will :) just kinda how it goes

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Perhaps if somebody wants to have lulz on a Biweekly, we ask that they bring and set up their own TV upstairs? This way it doesn't interfere with the concentration on tournament matches.

Although, I remember one Smashfest where we were playing Blokus upstairs and the only thing that could be heard was Village of the Blue Maiden

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I don't think having Norfair, PS2, and Mansion leaving is that bad. I don't agree with Pirate Ship since well, I like the level, but I could obviously learn to adapt and not complain too much I don't think if it got banned too.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
What/Where is this tension coming from?

Keep in mind that loud noises and distractions are part of tournaments. Or did I misread something?

buenob

Smash Lord
lol there's two ways to "abuse" the level (aside from being gigantic and no-one dying)

the first is as andrew mentioned (and the reason most tourneys ban it) the whorenado... it's possible as MK to almost permanently keep a player underneath the ceilings on the first floor, and it really is easy to keep people there... the tornado eats through the shields and then it's downhill... this strategy is beatable, but the skill required to do it is minimal, compared to what's needed to beat it

the second would be (bryants zelda :p) lingering hitboxes... because the bottom pillars don't break until the top ones do, you can basically infinitely abuse lingering hitboxes, so zelda's fsmash and usmash both stay out for a _very_ long period of time, and it's incredibly difficult to approach... she also has one of the few projectiles that goes through the pillars, so that's just one more thing she has... ROB has no trouble with this (laser beats all) but that's one character... as a DK, D3, or basically anyone without a projectile that goes through pillars, the match is incredibly frustrating to play... again, the skill required to beat the strategy is too big, compared to what's required to execute it (lucas with dsmash, ness with pk-fire, basically any multi-hit move abuses it thoroughly)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
The main strategy for Mansion has seemed to "degenerated" into immediately attacking the second-floor pillars on your own side. Yes, this can counter it very well, but your opponent just has to copy you and then the **** will begin 20 seconds after.

PND

Smash Champion
If you take the time to go for the second story pillars, your opponent could easily capitalize on that, gain a percent lead, and plank / camp / punish you / whatever applies. As well, if the ceiling is still present it has a cave of immortality effect, in that you can DI any attack into the ceiling / floor and tech it.

Fogel

Smash Lord
For what it's worth, I'm happy with getting rid of Pirate Ship, Norfair, PS2, and Mansion :) Also, thanks Ben for stepping up to run stuff. I'm not too sure why everyone is expecting Randy to step down though...did something happen that I don't know about?

Top Bottom