• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Otronicon Smash Tourney - January 18th 2008 at the Orlando Science Center

Frames

DI
Ok, so every year at the Orlando Science Center, usually toward the end of January/early February, they have the Otronicon festival, a large gaming event where peoplez can gather and play games and what not. The highlights of the event every year are the tournaments they have (namely Halo), in the large CineDome, an IMAX theater. This year, the Smash tourney falls on Friday the 18th, the first day of the event. Here's the info if you're interested:

All this stuff is available at www.otronicon.org, but i'll post some stuff here anyway.

777 E Princeton St
Orlando, FL 32803
(407) 514-2000

Fees and Prizes:
There's no entry fee for the tournament, but you have to pay to attend Otronicon, which is $14.95 each for adults.

Entry is limited to the first 32 people who register only (Because god forbid they have to make an uneven bracket for a tournament)! Registration begins at 5:00 PM and the tournament starts at 8:00 PM

1st place is a $100 dollar "prize pack" (AKA not cash, but rather some gift card thing)
2nd place is a $50 dollar "prize pack"

Rules:
The rules for these tournaments are a little "different", to say the least.:laugh:

Tournament Rules:
Rules will be TIME with a 2:00 Time Limit
Handicap will be set to OFF
Damage Ratio will be set to 1.0
Stage Selection will be set to RANDOM
Item Switch will have all items set to Medium
Pause will be set to OFF
Self-Destructs will be set to -1

Tournament Procedures:
Players will be grouped into four groups of 8 players or less.
Tournament will be single elimination brackets.
Players will use Tournament Melee in VS. Mode
Match Type will be set to Tournament
No. of Combatants will be set to 2
Entrants will be set to 8 or the highest even number of competitors. If there is an odd
number of competitors one random person will receive a bye by competing against an
unplayed character.
Human (CPU) will be set to 8 (0)
Stage Selection will be set to Always Different
CPU Level will be set to Random

Players with then have the opportunity to choose their character and enter their name up
to four letters.

Once all players have chosen characters and entered their names SSBM will randomly
seed the brackets and begin the tournament.

The eight players will compete in the brackets until there is one player left.

The four winning players will move on to the final tournament to be held in the Cine-
Dome.

The final Tournament will proceed exactly as before with the exception of the Time
Limit which will be set to 5:00 minutes.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
lol, this ish is so wack. WATO went to this before. it was so gay. horrible rules. but lol, vericz got to play in that cinedome thingy. also, ALL OF THE CHARACTERS WERE NOT UNLOCKED!!!. only the stock characters, so vericz was forced to use peach, since they didnt have his falco. me and uuaa were lucky, fox and sheik are starting characters...peace

-hiro

vericz

Smash Champion
thats pretty gay

we need more info boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
More info:
dont waste your time or muneez if you are goin just for this. The tourney is gay, no unlocked characters, you can kill your opponent then camp and SD before they kill you and you are still in the lead, items are ******** especially the STAR!! :mad:

This tourney makes noobs think they are good, although the imax screen is NASTEEEEE.

Dont go, go to Inet for the halo 3 tourney the next day to cheer me on :lick:

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
is this a joke tourney it almost sounds worse than x-tremeplay, almost
HBox pwn this ish!!!

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
Holy **** **** I work there! Well not exactly work there but I volunteer there for school. I'll see what I can do about those rules.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
thanks yea. Print out the gigabits rules and give it to them and let them know this is how it's,played and how mlg played it. As far as venues go this is max so if the rules are changed and unlimited people can enter then it should be a realy good touney, if not then ****

vericz

Smash Champion
thanks yea. Print out the gigabits rules and give it to them and let them know this is how it's,played and how mlg played it. As far as venues go this is max so if the rules are changed and unlimited people can enter then it should be a realy good touney, if not then ****
they set it up that was to speed it up, they wont change the rules to 2/3 and 4 stock

Renth

Smash Hero
X-tremeplay was soo poorly ran it made me never want to play smash again

if this even slightly resembles that stay the **** away

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Based on the OP's update, it looks even worse than before because they're limiting registration so hard. The ONLY reason it was fun last year was because there were so many people in the audience cheering. I had some pretty cool experiences being one of two technical guys in a tournament of like 80 people, most of whom had no idea what the **** I was doing. Taking a bow after killing a falco player 8 times in two minutes was pretty sweet. But with a 32-man limit, even this cool part is going to be gone.

This tournament was AWFUL. Odds are you won't even win with the setups they use.

See, the tournament was ****ing HUGE, and they only run it on three TVs (one of which broadcasts to the big screen), so what they do is this (Keep in mind, last year, all characters were unlocked because Dark Falchion raised such a huge ****-storm the time before):

1.) They actually USE THE TOURNAMENT MODE BUILT INTO THE GAME. (meaning Single Elim, one match)
2.) 2-minute KO-Fest 1v1s. Meaning that if you're at high percents and you suicide, you simply lose one point and your opponent does not gain one. Whereas if he killed YOU, he would gain a point and you would lose one, meaning you can get a one point advantage from suiciding when you normally would have died.
3.) Items on Medium
4.) Every stage random, all stages turned on, including crap like FlatZone.
5.) Because of the nature of tournament mode, you're only able to have one character for the entire thing.

Though I wasn't nearly as good as I am now, I ended up losing to Pure Korea in the first round of Top 8 because we randomed Poke Floats with items on medium and he managed to avoid the Bunny Ears. PK also went on to lose to some Jigglypuff for a similar reason.

It was godawful.

OH, ANOTHER BIG THING I FORGOT:

IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 YEARS OLD, YOUR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN MUST BE STANDING BESIDE YOU AS YOU REGISTER. NO EXCEPTIONS. My brother was unable to enter because of this garbage rule.

I also don't think that Gigabits rules will work there, due to the immense size of the tournament and the time-constraints (they will almost certainly not let us go past close.) And even with the new 32-man limit, these people are complete ***** and don't listen to what we have to say at all. Some of you might remember the Kinetix tournament where we were able to negotiate rules with the owner to make an alright tournament. Yeah, that **** doesn't fly with otronicon, they just tell you that if you don't like it, don't enter.

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to this simply because it's at the place I go to every week. But I really dislike this ruleset. I'm going tomarrow and I'll see if I can do anything then, I have a bad fealing I won't be able to, but I won't know till I try.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
I'm going to this simply because it's at the place I go to every week. But I really dislike this ruleset. I'm going tomarrow and I'll see if I can do anything then, I have a bad fealing I won't be able to, but I won't know till I try.
They can just kinda drop in a bombshell like if you don't like it, don't come. Bottom line is they don't want to have more than 32 people and don't care whether it is made up of noobs or competitive players, so really there is nothing we can do. They will get the 32 people in no matter what, they have advertising and an awesome venue. The only way to make them change their rules is if not enough people show, but I doubt that.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
We should hold a tourney on this date. (THE GOOD PLAYERS SMASH TOURNEY) just so we have something to do while all the noobs are at otronicon. I have nothing against otronicon it was actually a lot of fun last year when me hungry and some other friends went. (wow juan we have only been playing seriously for like 7 months we were noobs back then) It'd be nice to hang out with wato again. OH and I still have to see about gigs my parents got pissed cuz i came back really late, I might pull out the same thing I did after disney lol.

vericz

Smash Champion
We should hold a tourney on this date. (THE GOOD PLAYERS SMASH TOURNEY) just so we have something to do while all the noobs are at otronicon. I have nothing against otronicon it was actually a lot of fun last year when me hungry and some other friends went. (wow juan we have only been playing seriously for like 7 months we were noobs back then) It'd be nice to hang out with wato again. OH and I still have to see about gigs my parents got pissed cuz i came back really late, I might pull out the same thing I did after disney lol.
Dont go

WATO at disney was sooo fun, we got to plan like a trip to the beach or something

vericz

Smash Champion
I thought you could only register for the tourney over the phone with a credit card. my friend registered 3 of us that way. I'm just going because I figure all real smash players won't want to, so it'll be an easy win :p I wish you guys would just play for the fun of it though, i'd like a challenge
Nope been there once and never again, no gay tourney for me

Zoro

Smash Champion
I went to Afo for a smash tourney last year with marin

I didnt get past the first round
inf fact i was the first one out

who ever wins at ffas is just lucky or campy on hyrule temple
If u play on yoshis story or something then its just luck

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
well, the smash tournament is over, I lost due to BullS**t in the 3rd round, but its safe to say that I couldnt have beaten the 1st place person because he was actually skilled so it makes no difference

It was also poetic justice seeing the kid that got lucky against me in round 3 make it to the semi's where he got brutally slaughtered in what might have been the highest scoring match of the day ^_^

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
!!!!!!!!!!!RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!

Bamn won.

Colin, QDVS, Otru, Me, PureKorea, Doc, Frames, Sick, and others didn't do quite so good.

At least Otru got 4th.

Doc got like 5th.

Me and QDVS got like 24th.

Colin got like 48th.

Pk and Frames got last.

The tournament was out of a whopping 96 people!!!!!

Winner (Bamn) got a $100 Best Buy gift card.

Second (ZorakBane) got a $50 Best Buy Gift card.

JJSlim

Smash Rookie
This tourney was indeed gay im not going to this ever again...Rx-, your camping pissed me off..but hey you had to do what you had to i guess..its all good, i just want my rematch at Gigs some time with tourney rules :) sound good to you?

Top Bottom